PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 6 Edition

westdog54
05-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Once the game against the Eagles is completed post up three things you've learned as a result of watching the game.

They can be against the Eagles if you so desire.

westdog54
05-05-2013, 11:39 PM
Bump

SlimPickens
05-05-2013, 11:50 PM
1. Matthew Boyd couldn't hit the side of a barn from a foot. We will be a better side when he is done.

2. Liam Jones desperately needs help.

3. Clay Smith can be effective up forward.

Greystache
05-05-2013, 11:56 PM
1. Matthew Boyd couldn't hit the side of a barn from a foot. We will be a better side when he is done.

2. Liam Jones desperately needs help.

3. Clay Smith can be effective up forward.

Agree with all three.

1. We have almost no creative ball users in our team.

2. We need to cull the list heavily again this year- Austin and Howard are near the top.

3. WCE are front runners, I rated them relatively highly going into this year but they are decidedly average.

Sedat
06-05-2013, 12:01 AM
1. We have almost no creative ball users in our team.
I think we've found one in McCrae who will provide plenty in his area in the future. Still young and lacking core strength so he lacks penetration by foot, but he is a very smooth mover even in traffic. Dare I say it, the Pendlebury comparisons are very accurate with him

Greystache
06-05-2013, 12:07 AM
I think we've found one in McCrae who will provide plenty in his area in the future. Still young and lacking core strength so he lacks penetration by foot, but he is a very smooth mover even in traffic. Dare I say it, the Pendlebury comparisons are very accurate with him

I think he will be but at the moment he doesn't have the physical strength to do it consistently. Libba and Cooney are, JJ and Dahlhaus can be but are under the pump every time they get the ball because the opposition know the can be dangerous, but shit that leaves a lot of average ball users in one team.

Scraggers
06-05-2013, 12:09 AM
1. I hate the red jumper ... It's even worse live !!
2. I hate everything about the Wet Toast Weasels ... Their supporters mainly
3. When Liam Jones gets some bulk he is going to be unstoppable

(Did I mention I hate the Eagles)

bornadog
06-05-2013, 12:16 AM

Ditto for me

bornadog
06-05-2013, 12:17 AM

Boyd was pretty good today with his disposals (68%)

Scraggers
06-05-2013, 12:26 AM

I hate to bag the captain, he is the top dog for a reason (not sure what that is, but the powers that be, do). His chase on Lecra was pitiful; embarrassing even !!

kruder
06-05-2013, 03:45 AM
1. love the red jumper
2. 2012 draft will be memorable and with the 2nd and 3rd years players will make the nucleus of a very good football side in time.
3.West Coast still not inform judging by the result
4. I didn't see the game today but nothing has surprised from all the informed reports.
5. Whether Bmac is the right man for the job won't save him as people are impatient and it will ultimately cost him his job.
6. It was good to see him put heat on the senior players after the game and I would prefer him to be more forthright in this area.
7. Sydney will win the premiership just love their midfield atm(continues to be underrated).
8. I'm ranked 9th overall in supercoach:)

westdog54
06-05-2013, 06:33 AM
Will Minson is an absolute Lionheart, very brave performance one out against 3 rotating opponents.
Jake Stringer has some tricks I didn't know he had.
Clay Smith may have found his niche.

AndrewP6
06-05-2013, 08:42 AM
1. love the red jumper
2. 2012 draft will be memorable and with the 2nd and 3rd years players will make the nucleus of a very good football side in time.
3.West Coast still not inform judging by the result
4. I didn't see the game today but nothing has surprised from all the informed reports.
5. Whether Bmac is the right man for the job won't save him as people are impatient and it will ultimately cost him his job.
6. It was good to see him put heat on the senior players after the game and I would prefer him to be more forthright in this area.
7. Sydney will win the premiership just love their midfield atm(continues to be underrated).
8. I'm ranked 9th overall in supercoach:)

But struggle with counting :p
"Three things I've learned" :D

always right
06-05-2013, 08:46 AM
It's hard to give an objective summary of the game when you are currently in Paris.

Sorry...self indulgent I know but it beats sitting at home seeing us get pantsed yet again by West Coast. God I hate their supporters.

SlimPickens
06-05-2013, 09:50 AM

What were they by foot?

Ozza
06-05-2013, 10:04 AM
The disposal efficiency stat is nonsense. All long kicks are counted as efficient. If more than 30% of Boyd's kicks went to a team mate - or put someone in a better position than he was - then I was watching a different game.

Three things I learned....

1. At his age and experience - Liam Jones has an enormous task to be our sole key forward. Particularly with the way the ball is shovelled in his general direction. Tutt is the only player who kicked a ball to Jones' clear advantage today - to take 9 marks was an extraordinary effort.

2. We still have no idea how to play Subiaco - and have no semblance of structure when we play there.

3. Howard continues to confirm for us that he was a poor 1st round choice. Not sure he got close enough to the ball to even get on camera for the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Mofra
06-05-2013, 10:32 AM
[LIST=1]
Will Minson is an absolute Lionheart, very brave performance one out against 3 rotating opponents.
Just quoting this because it deserves to be - I have a massive respect for ruckmen and Will is holding our midfield together.

Watch him closely set-up - he uses his body to create space very well, his non-stat work is as good as his hit-out efforts.

LostDoggy
06-05-2013, 01:38 PM
1. Will Minson deserves a medal for the way he went up against three ruckmen single-handedly (don't give me Austin as a resting ruck)

2. Coaching to win the ball from stoppages by outnumbering comes up against a brick wall when you don't win the ball and it spills to outlying opposition. It also falls down if you do win and the targets are reduced due to the numbers being a metre away from you.

3. Football is a business and the club is bigger than the individual(s)

kruder
06-05-2013, 01:40 PM
But struggle with counting :p
"Three things I've learned" :D

No not a joke at all.

kruder
06-05-2013, 01:41 PM
No not a joke at all.

Ha! Your right didn't pick that one up!

Remi Moses
06-05-2013, 02:37 PM

They're the classic cardboard cut out fans.
The type that does a wave through the game.

Ozza
06-05-2013, 03:09 PM
For those who went to the game, did the Eagles supporters boo the umpires off?
They usually do (Freo do as well)....even though they get a brilliant run for the umpires at every home game (yesterday 24-11)...they still boo them off.

Greystache
06-05-2013, 03:16 PM
The disposal efficiency stat is nonsense. All long kicks are counted as efficient. If more than 30% of Boyd's kicks went to a team mate - or put someone in a better position than he was - then I was watching a different game.

That's the key to the issue for me, even when Boyd has an effective possession from a statistics point of view (ie reaches a team mate) How often does he put a team mate in a better position than he was? Very rarely would be my answer. His touches just transfer, or in many cases, create pressure for a team mate, and with our current team that invariably means putting an inexperienced player under pressure. Boyd's possessions show a compete lack of respect for his team mates to me.

LostDoggy
06-05-2013, 03:26 PM
That's the key to the issue for me, even when Boyd has an effective possession from a statistics point of view (ie reaches a team mate) How often does he put a team mate in a better position than he was? Very rarely would be my answer. His touches just transfer, or in many cases, create pressure for a team mate, and with our current team that invariably means putting an inexperienced player under pressure. Boyd's possessions show a compete lack of respect for his team mates to me.

Have to agree with this. Boyd's possessions just don't hurt at all. I really think if Boyd wasn't captain, I'd have him out of the side. Sad to say this because I love Boydy but just compounds the problem we have with inability to spread and create run.

Ozza
06-05-2013, 03:59 PM

I guess it shows how stats lie, very often in footy.

Like when Cross got the footy in one of our best lead up pieces of play, 60 out and went inside 50 to Clay Smith, overhead, with a short kick. It was a disaster of a kick - and the Eagles took it down the other end and goaled.

Thats not a turnover, statistically, but after a good couple of minutes of pressure - we not only missed a scoring chance, but it released the valve as far as the pressure we actually had on West Coast (however brief) for that period.

bornadog
06-05-2013, 04:17 PM

The trouble is most supporters focus on the mistakes and not the good things and it all becomes a perception of what happened.

Sedat
06-05-2013, 04:38 PM
I guess it shows how stats lie, very often in footy.

Like when Cross got the footy in one of our best lead up pieces of play, 60 out and went inside 50 to Clay Smith, overhead, with a short kick. It was a disaster of a kick - and the Eagles took it down the other end and goaled.

Thats not a turnover, statistically, but after a good couple of minutes of pressure - we not only missed a scoring chance, but it released the valve as far as the pressure we actually had on West Coast (however brief) for that period.
Apart from the expansion teams, we would concede the highest number of scores/goals from turnovers in the competition. We are frighteningly bad the spread.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
06-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Ditto for me

And me. And our forward line needs another tall - we got killed for height and Will needs a chop out.

LostDoggy
06-05-2013, 07:02 PM
1. Love how our players all want to attack the ball when it's in dispute. Only issue is, if we don't get it, the opposition get it out fairly easily.

2. We started to do what we did last year a lot. And that's just boot it as far forward as we can, with no idea who we are kicking it to or if we even have any players who can make a contest.

3. We need to get a few wins under our belt (hopefully we don't lose to Melb, GC or GWS and we can beat someone above us)

Hotdog60
06-05-2013, 07:38 PM
1. As brilliant as Jones marking was did it cause us to bomb it recklessly into our 50.

2. We fail to take the game on for a fear of turning it over, we always move the ball slowly and out to the flanks and fail to see players 30 meters in the clear down the middle.

3. Addison has found his place in the team.

AndrewP6
06-05-2013, 07:46 PM
1. As brilliant as Jones marking was did it cause us to bomb it recklessly into our 50.

Nah, we've been doing that for years.:eek:

Hotdog60
06-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Nah, we've been doing that for years.:eek:

Very true, well since Johnno retired.

Ghost Dog
07-05-2013, 08:20 AM
The trouble is most supporters focus on the mistakes and not the good things and it all becomes a perception of what happened.

Well when you fly over to Perth as a team, only to be stunned senseless, wrapped in a tarp and thrown in the Swan river, one starts to focus on mistakes!

whythelongface
07-05-2013, 09:14 AM
1. We need to look for more options when delivering the ball inside our forward 50. We had one more inside 50 than our opposition yet 15 fewer scoring shots. We have the ability to get the ball yet squander possession by either not creating options for the midfield delivering into the forward or the midfield is too slow in ther delivery.

2. Turnovers continue to kill us. Again we get our hands on the ball as much as the opposition, yet we squander our opportunities by poor disposal; taking the wrong option or not having any wider running players we can deliver the ball to.

3. The development of Roughead and Jones continues to get better and better. We have two KPP nailed for the next 8 to 10 years (assuming they stay with us) - we just need to find a FF and CHB and a good 2nd ruck option.