PDA

View Full Version : WOOF Player Awards - Round 6, 2013 vs West Coast

GVGjr
05-05-2013, 06:12 PM
Welcome to the WOOF Player Awards for season 2013, Round 6 West Coast v Western Bulldogs.

There are two awards that you can vote on once the game is completed.

Voting closes each Tuesday at 8.00pm.

The first award is for the Joe Marmo Medal for the best players on the ground.

There are 4 votes allocated and it's a 4 for the best and of course 3, 2 and 1.

and

The second award is for the Ron James Medal for the best 2 pups on the ground.

2 Votes allocated - 2 being for the best pup and 1 for the runner-up
Remember the cut off age for a pup is 22 as at the 1st of January, 2013.

Pups available for selection –

Ayce Cordy, Jordan Roughead, Liam Jones, Christian Howard, Koby Stevens, Jason Tutt, Tom Campbell, Luke Dahlhaus, Thomas Liberatore, Tom Young, Mitch Wallis, Jason Johannisen, Daniel Pearce, Fletcher Roberts, Clay Smith, Michael Talia, Jake Stringer, Nathan Hrovat, Jackson Macrae, Joshua Prudden and Lachlan Hunter.

Rookie's – Alex Greenwood, Lin Jong
* Mark Austin, Brett Goodes, Jack Redpath (if elevated not eligible for pup selection due to pup cut-off age)

Need to know more - The history of the WOOF Player Awards (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8966)

GVGjr
05-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Going to be hard to cast the votes today

chef
05-05-2013, 08:30 PM
4. Smith
3. Jones
2. Minson
1. JJ

SlimPickens
05-05-2013, 08:37 PM
4. Smith
3. Jones
2.Roughead
1.Minson

2. Smith
1.Jones

Really struggled to find guys for the 2 and 1 votes.

bornadog
05-05-2013, 08:39 PM
4. Smith
3. Jones
2. Picken
1. Cooney

2. Smith
1. Jones

Hotdog60
05-05-2013, 08:40 PM
4. Smith
3. Jones
2.Roughead
1.Minson

2. Smith
1.Jones

Really struggled to find guys for the 2 and 1 votes.

Ditto for me

F'scary
05-05-2013, 08:45 PM
4. Smith
3. Minson
2. Jones
1. Cooney

Rance Fan
05-05-2013, 08:49 PM
4. Smith - had a go! kicked a few
3 Jones - 9 marks no one else near that.
2 Picken - 8 tackles
1. Wallis - sub who came on and made an impact, be it all over

2 Smith
1 Jones

westbulldog
05-05-2013, 09:00 PM
4. Minson played 115 minutes against three opposing rucks, great effort all day.
3. Smith
2. Jones
1. Addison

2. Smith
1. Jones

Go_Dogs
05-05-2013, 09:11 PM
4. Smith
3. Jones
2. Cooney
1. Minson

2. Smith
1. Jones

AndrewP6
05-05-2013, 09:12 PM
4. Minson played 115 minutes against three opposing rucks, great effort all day.
3. Smith
2. Jones
1. Addison

2. Smith
1. Jones

This for me.

G-Mo77
05-05-2013, 09:15 PM
4. Smith
3. Jones
2. Minson
1. Picken

2. Smith
1. Jones

wimberga
05-05-2013, 09:46 PM
4. Smith
3. Jones
2.Roughead
1.Minson

2. Smith
1.Jones

Greystache
05-05-2013, 10:52 PM
4. Smith
3. Jones
2. Cooney
1. Picken

2. Smith
1. Jones

boydogs
05-05-2013, 11:32 PM
The inconsistent rating of Minson continues, lol.

4. Smith
3. Minson
2. Boyd
1. Cooney

2. Smith
1. Jones

The Bulldogs Bite
05-05-2013, 11:34 PM
4. Smith
3. Jones
2. Cooney
1. Minson

2. Smith
1. Jones

Sedat
06-05-2013, 12:19 AM
4. Smith
3. Picken
2. Jones
1. Cooney

2. Smith
1. Jones

Bulldog Joe
06-05-2013, 08:26 AM
4. Smith
3. Jones
2. Minson
1. Picken

2. Smith
1. Jones

bornadog
06-05-2013, 08:34 AM
The inconsistent rating of Minson continues, lol.

I am a big fan of Will but this week he was up against it. He had 9 disposals in the first quarter then 5 more for the match. In the end he was worked over by three ruckman.

dadsgirl16
06-05-2013, 09:11 AM
4.Smith
3.Minson
2.Jones
1.Roughy

2.Smith
1.Jones

Ozza
06-05-2013, 09:38 AM
4. Smith
3. Jones
2. Roughead - Kennedy was goalless in the First half - and only got on teh scoreboard in the second half once the team got thrown around.
1. Minson - just on the basis that he rucked all day, and although beaten, 'battled on manfully' as they say.

2. Smith
1. Jones

LostDoggy
06-05-2013, 11:28 AM
4. Smith
3. Minson
2. Jones
1. Picken

Scorlibo
06-05-2013, 11:37 AM
4 - Minson
3 - Boyd
2 - Smith
1 - Cooney

2 - Smith
1 - Jones

re: Jones getting so many votes again, YES, he took 9 marks, NO, he didn't manage a mark inside 50 until the 12th minute of the 4th quarter. Enough taking pseudo-marks on the wing. He was good, but he wasn't that good.

Bulldog Joe
06-05-2013, 12:47 PM
4 - Minson
3 - Boyd
2 - Smith
1 - Cooney

2 - Smith
1 - Jones

re: Jones getting so many votes again, YES, he took 9 marks, NO, he didn't manage a mark inside 50 until the 12th minute of the 4th quarter. Enough taking pseudo-marks on the wing. He was good, but he wasn't that good.

Interesting how we all view things differently.

I actually thought this was the best game that Liam has played. I know only one mark was inside 50, but hardly his fault when no-one could deliver to a spot for him to mark. Obviously just off TV, so I really don't know how he positioned himself.

What he clearly did was work to get involved and gave a target for players coming out of the backline. This he hasn't done in previous games and has instead languished forward when the ball has not been coming in.

EasternWest
06-05-2013, 12:51 PM
Interesting how we all view things differently.

I actually thought this was the best game that Liam has played. I know only one mark was inside 50, but hardly his fault when no-one could deliver to a spot for him to mark. Obviously just off TV, so I really don't know how he positioned himself.

What he clearly did was work to get involved and gave a target for players coming out of the backline. This he hasn't done in previous games and has instead languished forward when the ball has not been coming in.

I didn't catch the whole game, but I saw one passage of play where he was a bit flat footed and Tutt put a great kick into the space in front of him and made him move. It was a great kick, but I was a bit disappointed he didn't read the play better himself and lead into.that space.

Ozza
06-05-2013, 12:56 PM
I didn't catch the whole game, but I saw one passage of play where he was a bit flat footed and Tutt put a great kick into the space in front of him and made him move. It was a great kick, but I was a bit disappointed he didn't read the play better himself and lead into.that space.

Perhaps he was anticipating that the ball would be kicked to his DISADVANTAGE, or floated up high into the forward line - like he usually has to contend with.

Jones almost passed out in shock when Tutt was smart enough to kick the ball into the space on his side of the contest.

EasternWest
06-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Perhaps he was anticipating that the ball would be kicked to his DISADVANTAGE, or floated up high into the forward line - like he usually has to contend with.

Jones almost passed out in shock when Tutt was smart enough to kick the ball into the space on his side of the contest.

So cynical ;).

soupman
06-05-2013, 01:44 PM
4. Smith
3. Jones
2. Minson
1. Cooney

2. Smith
1. Jones

Bulldog4life
06-05-2013, 01:57 PM
4.Smith
3.Cooney
2.Picken
1.Minson

2. Smith
1.Jones

BornInDroopSt'54
06-05-2013, 01:57 PM
4. Smith
3. Jones
2. Minson
1. Cooney

2. Smith
1. Jones

Agreed.

LostDoggy
06-05-2013, 03:06 PM
4. Smith
3. Jones
2. Minson
1. JJ

Ditto for me

SlimPickens
06-05-2013, 05:34 PM
4 - Minson
3 - Boyd
2 - Smith
1 - Cooney

2 - Smith
1 - Jones

Supercoach points or pure coincidence that your vote getters are our top 4 SC scorers from the game?

Jones worked his arse off and to me was the one of only 2 players who could walk off the ground saying they won their position.

Remi Moses
06-05-2013, 05:52 PM
4. Minson
3. Smith
2. Jones
1. Cooney ( mainly for his first term)

2. Smith
1. Jones

Maddog37
06-05-2013, 06:20 PM
4. Minson
3. Smith
2. Jones
1. Cooney ( mainly for his first term)

2. Smith
1. Jones

Same for me

Scorlibo
06-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Supercoach points or pure coincidence that your vote getters are our top 4 SC scorers from the game?

Jones worked his arse off and to me was the one of only 2 players who could walk off the ground saying they won their position.

The supercoach points confirmed my views of the match. Would you take issue to a poster basing their votes purely on SC points?

I disagree on Jones.

SlimPickens
06-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Would you take issue to a poster basing their votes purely on SC points?

Yes, absolutely I would. I hope posters would watch the game and make judgement call on the players they thought were deserving of votes. Not basing it on the scores accumulated in a fantasy football competition. If it is based "purely" on SC points and you haven't watched the game, then I suggest you shouldn't be voting.

As for Liam Jones, we'll have to agree to disagree although he was named a full forward so he probably shouldnt have been taking "pseudo" marks on the wing.

josie
06-05-2013, 08:14 PM
4. Smith
3. Minson
2. Addison
1. Cooney

Honorable mention: Jones and Tutt tried hard all day

Young 'Uns
Smith
Jones

boydogs
06-05-2013, 08:32 PM
I am a big fan of Will but this week he was up against it. He had 9 disposals in the first quarter then 5 more for the match. In the end he was worked over by three ruckman.

It all comes down to how you rate a ruckman, doesn't it.

I don't remember anyone criticising Ben Hudson for being no good around the ground.

bornadog
06-05-2013, 11:08 PM
It all comes down to how you rate a ruckman, doesn't it.

I don't remember anyone criticising Ben Hudson for being no good around the ground.

I am one of his biggest fans, I just think it was unfair on him that he had to cope with three ruckman and that is the only reason I am not giving him votes this week.

boydogs
06-05-2013, 11:32 PM
I am one of his biggest fans, I just think it was unfair on him that he had to cope with three ruckman and that is the only reason I am not giving him votes this week.

That's like saying Nick Lower wasn't BOG for keeping Ablett to 20 possessions.

bornadog
06-05-2013, 11:39 PM
That's like saying Nick Lower wasn't BOG for keeping Ablett to 20 possessions.

If Ablett kicked three goals as well, then Lower shouldn't get votes either.

Scorlibo
07-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Yes, absolutely I would. I hope posters would watch the game and make judgement call on the players they thought were deserving of votes. Not basing it on the scores accumulated in a fantasy football competition. If it is based "purely" on SC points and you haven't watched the game, then I suggest you shouldn't be voting.

As for Liam Jones, we'll have to agree to disagree although he was named a full forward so he probably shouldnt have been taking "pseudo" marks on the wing.

Sorry, that should have read pseudo-contested marks (like the one hander he took, he didn't need to even jump at the ball, he could have taken it almost uncontested).

Let me preface this by saying that I do watch the game before casting my votes each week.

I think that if someone has watched years of footy and seen years of correlating supercoach scores, that they can learn to judge from the supercoach scores, and other statistics, how players have played without having watched the game.

I'd actually suggest that watching the game without consulting statistics afterwards is as bad if not worse than just voting on statistics. Everybody misses things, especially when at the game. I don't trust myself to give an accurate account of proceedings just by having seen the game. I know that certain players will stick in my mind for the wrong reasons and certain players will go unrecognised. That's where I like to trust stats to guide my judgement.

Supercoach rankings are like super-stats. They started out as the "official AFL rankings" and I liked them better that way because they garnered more respect. Champion Data have published (in their prospectus) a few times the procedure by which they devise the rankings, and it is very much the most scientific approach to footy (and possibly the most sophisticated sporting rankings system in the world) out there. I trust their rankings more than I trust my judgement or the judgement of any poster on this site. And when their latest measure is fully revealed at the end of this week, I will trust that even more so.

I don't really expect to be queried on the matter of where my votes go.

Greystache
07-05-2013, 01:14 AM
You're kidding yourself if you think Supercoach stats are anything more than a fantasy footy scoring system. Their lack of accountability to an opponent just as start renders them redundant, but I have no interest in derailing this thread with their short comings.

I don't really expect to be queried on the matter of where my votes go.

Yet you offered this opinion on other posters votes

4 - Minson
3 - Boyd
2 - Smith
1 - Cooney

2 - Smith
1 - Jones

Hotdog60
07-05-2013, 06:33 AM
Should there be any comments on voters, it's all a matter of opinions and everyone will have their own thoughts on how we played.

If someone gets a bit of heat on their votes they may not bother next time and the voting system will be left to a few and there for not get a true representation.

Fair enough if someone makes a mistake on the rules of the vote but should there be any comment on who they vote for.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-05-2013, 07:34 AM
Marmo

4. Minson
3. Smith
2. Cooney
1. Jones

James

2. Smith
1. Jones

GVGjr
07-05-2013, 07:56 AM
All, this is not a discussion thread. Please just add your votes.

whythelongface
07-05-2013, 08:29 AM
4. Smith
3. Jones
2. Minson
1. Roughead

Pups

2. Smith
1. Jones

Scorlibo
07-05-2013, 12:54 PM
You're kidding yourself if you think Supercoach stats are anything more than a fantasy footy scoring system. Their lack of accountability to an opponent just as start renders them redundant, but I have no interest in derailing this thread with their short comings.

You can't come in and say something as silly as the above and not expect some backlash. Do some reading, Greystache, the 'supercoach' system is so far ahead of being classified as a fantasy footy scoring system, and accounts for most defensive plays. Tackles are valued very highly, so are pressure acts. There's a weird perception that has floated around the football world for a long time: that all positions are equal and deserve equal recognition. When you play in a footy team, this is a great motto because it encourages respect for your teammates. Yet in assessing the influence of players, it's pretty clear that defenders and forwards don't influence the game as much as midfielders, and stopper defenders or taggers don't influence the game as much as their attacking counterparts.

Yet you offered this opinion on other posters votes

I talked about a player and gave my reasons why I didn't think they were deserving of votes. I didn't single anyone out to question the validity of their voting process. There's a big difference.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Greystache, if you'd like to reply, please make a new thread or quote me in a more appropriate existing thread.

wimberga
07-05-2013, 01:14 PM
You can't come in and say something as silly as the above and not expect some backlash. Do some reading, Greystache, the 'supercoach' system is so far ahead of being classified as a fantasy footy scoring system, and accounts for most defensive plays. Tackles are valued very highly, so are pressure acts. There's a weird perception that has floated around the football world for a long time: that all positions are equal and deserve equal recognition. When you play in a footy team, this is a great motto because it encourages respect for your teammates. Yet in assessing the influence of players, it's pretty clear that defenders and forwards don't influence the game as much as midfielders, and stopper defenders or taggers don't influence the game as much as their attacking counterparts.

I talked about a player and gave my reasons why I didn't think they were deserving of votes. I didn't single anyone out to question the validity of their voting process. There's a big difference.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Greystache, if you'd like to reply, please make a new thread or quote me in a more appropriate existing thread.

I think we can all agree that statistics can be useful in assessing players performances but cannot be the sole measure. The same goes for pure observation of games. A combination of both can be useful and some people will prefer or place a higher importance on one over the other.

Can we please move on from this subject?

Scorlibo
07-05-2013, 01:25 PM
I think we can all agree that statistics can be useful in assessing players performances but cannot be the sole measure. The same goes for pure observation of games. A combination of both can be useful and some people will prefer or place a higher importance on one over the other.

Can we please move on from this subject?

Agreed.

Agreed.

Go_Dogs
07-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Voting closed. Leaderboard to be updated shortly.