Eastdog
09-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Round 7 Fixture

Friday 10th May 2013

Geelong V Essendon ES (N)

Saturday 11th May 2013

Port Adelaide V Richmond AS

Brisbane Lions V West Coast G

Western Bulldogs V North Melbourne ES (T)

Hawthorn V Sydney MCG (N)

Fremantle V Collingwood PS (N)

Sunday 12th May 2013

GWS Giants V Adelaide SK

Melbourne V Gold Coast Suns MCG (T)

Monday 13th May 2013

St. Kilda V Carlton ES (N)

Eastdog
09-05-2013, 04:02 PM
Big match to start Round 7 between the Cats and Bombers. Who will stay undefeated?

bornadog
09-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Big match to start Round 7 between the Cats and Bombers. Who will stay undefeated?

I am sticking with Geelong.

Remi Moses
09-05-2013, 10:28 PM
I'll go early. Buddy to get reported

bornadog
09-05-2013, 10:30 PM
I'll go early. Buddy to get reported

He has been an angry man lately.

Eastdog
10-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Geelong may well end up winning the premiership the way they are tracking right now. Their recruiting has been top notch. If only we were like this.

wimberga
10-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Geelong may well end up winning the premiership the way they are tracking right now. Their recruiting has been top notch. If only we were like this.

Let hope that with the personnel we have, we are on the right track.

But just, WOW, what a club. How there supporters must be so proud.

Eastdog
10-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Let hope that with the personnel we have, we are on the right track.

But just, WOW, what a club. How there supporters must be so proud.

Their supporters definitely have had a great ride all the way back from 2007.

Remi Moses
10-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Strange non selection of Ryder tonight.
Essendon fluffed their lines when dominating in the third term.
Geelongs recruiting . What can you say

Remi Moses
10-05-2013, 11:44 PM

We're in a similar spot that they were in 2000 - 02 period.
Stack of youngsters blended in with older players.
Remember watching bits of a game from around 2002( Riccardi's after siren goal)
Cats had the likes of Kilpatrick Scholl, Peter Street:p running around
With all their young players

lemmon
10-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Obviously respect the club but I'm at the point where I want to see them brought back to Earth. Arrogant supporters and a fawning media, not to mention the way Harley, Ling and Brownless carry on with their best mates with the players routine whenever they do a Geelong game. Would rather just about anyone else won the flag this year

The Underdog
11-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Obviously respect the club but I'm at the point where I want to see them brought back to Earth. Arrogant supporters and a fawning media, not to mention the way Harley, Ling and Brownless carry on with their best mates with the players routine whenever they do a Geelong game. Would rather just about anyone else won the flag this year

I'd rather they win 20 premierships than Essendon win one, particularly with Hird as coach. While their supporters may be arrogant (and let's face it, who wouldn't be) the playing group have maintained a pretty low key personality and their development of kids is exceptional.
As for on-ground, have they now developed a game plan which is essentially rope-a-dope?

Mantis
11-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Did I hear correctly that Geelong had 10 players in their team last night with less than 50 games.... Amazing effort to be performing as well as they are with so many inexperienced kids in the team.

bornadog
11-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Did I hear correctly that Geelong had 10 players in their team last night with less than 50 games.... Amazing effort to be performing as well as they are with so many inexperienced kids in the team.

Essendon had 9 with less than 50 and 8 between 50-100 to Geelongs 3.

Remi Moses
12-05-2013, 02:39 AM
Watched both of tonight's. games
Luke Hodge is critical to Hawthorns flag chances
Sam Reid's struggling and needs help ( luckily Tippett is coming)
Wonderful win by Freo with all those outs. What a massive improver Walters is, and emphasised what a huge loss Toovey is.Say what you like but Lyon's probably the best coach in it.

DOG GOD
12-05-2013, 11:32 AM
As much as I hate Lyons game plan, he can certainly get his players to follow the plan quickly. With all those key outs, the players really played team footy, and with griffin going down early, Hannath really stood up.
If Walters can keep his head together, he will be a VERY good player.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2013, 04:20 PM
Watched our former player Sam Reid for the giants again this week. Honestly, what did we see in him?? I think we did well getting a third rounder. Prudden's potential is better than Reid's performances this year.

Greystache
12-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Watched our former player Sam Reid for the giants again this week. Honestly, what did we see in him?? I think we did well getting a third rounder. Prudden's potential is better than Reid's performances this year.

I always thought he was 15cm too short to play afl, he's a ruckman playing as a midfielder.

Eastdog
12-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Melbourne are disgraceful and at the moment if we played them we would win as we have been much more competitive in our games.

Mantis
12-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Melbourne are disgraceful and at the moment if we played them we would win as we have been much more competitive in our games.

But we get to play Melbourne's opponent GC next week... on what you have seen so far how do you think we will go?

LostDoggy
12-05-2013, 06:26 PM

he'll get delisted this year.

Eastdog
12-05-2013, 06:57 PM
But we get to play Melbourne's opponent GC next week... on what you have seen so far how do you think we will go?

If we play like we did in that final quarter last night then will get beat but if we bring that competitiveness that we had for 3 quarters for the whole match we can win I reckon.

lemmon
12-05-2013, 06:57 PM

By no means taking next week lightly, GC should probably start favourite next week but you cant take anything out of this, Melbourne are shocking.

Mantis
12-05-2013, 07:25 PM
By no means taking next week lightly, GC should probably start favourite next week but you cant take anything out of this, Melbourne are shocking.

They are... but GC's ability to get outside the contest will worry us next week if they win their fare share of the ball and we allow them space.

They have some very exciting kids who are starting to become very capable.

Eastdog
12-05-2013, 07:37 PM
They are... but GC's ability to get outside the contest will worry us next week if they win their fare share of the ball and we allow them space.

They have some very exciting kids who are starting to become very capable.

How long do you reckon until they are finals bound?

Remi Moses
12-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Serious trouble next week. Melbourne are just deplorable, and their fans are to numb to boo.

Mantis
12-05-2013, 07:42 PM
How long do you reckon until they are finals bound?

I think they will be seriously challenging for a finals spot in 2015... they may even do so next year, but might fall a little short.

Ghost Dog
12-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Serious trouble next week. Melbourne are just deplorable, and their fans are to numb to boo.

Like ours?

Remi Moses
12-05-2013, 07:44 PM

Would have been delisted. To be brutal he was only recruited to keep his mate Callan content.
Running into open goal and he kicks it on the full.
Nice bloke by all accounts, but not up to it.

Remi Moses
12-05-2013, 07:46 PM
Like ours?

They've got a few years on us, but I'm worrying that our fans will get "Resigned" to losing.
If we don't show something soon I'll supply the blow torch on the coach myself

Ghost Dog
12-05-2013, 08:09 PM
I think we are not far off their woefulness.

Dancin' Douggy
12-05-2013, 08:23 PM

I think we are light years away from their woefulness.
We're just not good enough, but I see a lot of heart and effort in our boys.

Melbourne are just abysmal in the true sense. In an abyss.

a·byss (-bs)
n.
1. An immeasurably deep chasm, depth, or void: "lost in the vast abysses of space and time"

I honestly don't know how much worse an AFL/VFL team has ever been. EVER

Eastdog
12-05-2013, 08:27 PM
I think we are light years away from their woefulness.
We're just not good enough, but I see a lot of heart and effort in our boys.

Melbourne are just abysmal in the true sense. In an abyss.

a·byss (-bs)
n.
1. An immeasurably deep chasm, depth, or void: "lost in the vast abysses of space and time"

I honestly don't know how much worse an AFL/VFL team has ever been. EVER

Agree with that DD.

Mantis
12-05-2013, 08:32 PM

Not true.

Today is a new low for Melbourne.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2013, 08:34 PM
How long has Neeld got? Maybe we should start a WOOF lottery.

Greystache
12-05-2013, 08:35 PM
How long has Neeld got? Maybe we should start a WOOF lottery.

Today might be his last game.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Today might be his last game.
I take that as the first lottery taken :)

Remi Moses
12-05-2013, 08:39 PM

Complete rubbish
Seven Melbourne players didn't lay a tackle.
Our blokes( most) have a dip, but unfortunately some have glaring weaknesses.

Eastdog
12-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Complete rubbish

We have much more upside than them. For us it's all about patience with our team but I really hope we play 4 quarters next week against the Suns.

Dancin' Douggy
12-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Complete rubbish

Good point Remi. And not only that, they started sniping as well.

lemmon
12-05-2013, 08:47 PM
May be hamstrung as to whether they can afford to pay him out or not

bulldogtragic
12-05-2013, 08:50 PM
May be hamstrung as to whether they can afford to pay him out or not
That would be one f the darkest days for the club. That is, they don't believe in, nor want him, but are forced to follow him because of their financial situation... Would break my heart if I was a dees member. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

lemmon
12-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Seriously could you get a better warning about the dangers of tanking and a losing culture?

Sedat
12-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Melbourne are inept because they have absolutely no midfield to speak of, let alone any depth there. That is why they get smashed for contested possessions and clearances, they get smashed on the spread, and why they subsequently concede so many inside 50's and get belted most weeks. At least we have identified midfield depth as critically important in the modern game and have taken steps to address this a few years ago. We have numerous holes everywhere else but there is a solid midfield foundation for us to build on.

But when you lose 16 of 17 H&A matches, it is really a disgraceful indictment (short term as it is) on the club.

Mantis
12-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Melbourne are inept because they have absolutely no midfield to speak of, let alone any depth there. That is why they get smashed for contested possessions and clearances, they get smashed on the spread, and why they subsequently concede so many inside 50's and get belted most weeks. At least we have identified midfield depth as critically important in the modern game and have taken steps to address this a few years ago. We have numerous holes everywhere else but there is a solid midfield foundation for us to build on.

But when you lose 16 of 17 H&A matches, it is really a disgraceful indictment (short term as it is) on the club.

We are in the same boat with that stat.

Sedat
12-05-2013, 10:41 PM
We are in the same boat with that stat.
I was talking about us in that last paragraph.

Twodogs
13-05-2013, 12:02 AM
That would be one f the darkest days for the club. That is, they don't believe in, nor want him, but are forced to follow him because of their financial situation... Would break my heart if I was a dees member.:o Hopefully that doesn't happen.

It would break my heart if you became a dees member too.:D

Sedat
13-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Under Neeld, Melbourne has won 5 matches out of 29 and have been on the receiving end of several horrendous thumpings.

Under BMac, we have won 6 matches out of 29 and have been on the receiving end of several horrendous thumpings.

It is indisputable that we have far more talent on our list than Melbourne has had in the last 18 months, yet the results don't reflect this at all. Neeld has been put on the blowtorch pretty much from his first competitive match in charge when they were smashed by Brisbane at the MCG, yet BMac has been given an armchair ride from the media despite winning 1 out of the last 18 H&A matches he has been in charge of, with most of those losses being by huge margins.

When Neeld is sacked (and it will be sooner rather than later), it will be very interesting to see who the media next turn their attention to. Probably Vossy, because he is out of contract at season's end - it won't be us because we are completely invisible and irrelevant to the AFL media right now, almost bereft of any interest (which has been confirmed by our fans seeing as we got 23k to a home game against a fellow Melbourne based club). There is a blasé attitude about our current situation, from media and fans alike, that I'm not sure will continue if we are still churning out non-competitive efforts in 12 months' time.

Maddog37
13-05-2013, 10:22 AM
A bad loss to GC and a couple of Richmond game type performances will soon bring the acid onto us. Justifiably so too.

Mantis
13-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Under Neeld, Melbourne has won 5 matches out of 29 and have been on the receiving end of several horrendous thumpings.

Under BMac, we have won 6 matches out of 29 and have been on the receiving end of several horrendous thumpings.

It is indisputable that we have far more talent on our list than Melbourne has had in the last 18 months, yet the results don't reflect this at all. Neeld has been put on the blowtorch pretty much from his first competitive match in charge when they were smashed by Brisbane at the MCG, yet BMac has been given an armchair ride from the media despite winning 1 out of the last 18 H&A matches he has been in charge of, with most of those losses being by huge margins.

When Neeld is sacked (and it will be sooner rather than later), it will be very interesting to see who the media next turn their attention to. Probably Vossy, because he is out of contract at season's end - it won't be us because we are completely invisible and irrelevant to the AFL media right now, almost bereft of any interest (which has been confirmed by our fans seeing as we got 23k to a home game against a fellow Melbourne based club). There is a blasé attitude about our current situation, from media and fans alike, that I'm not sure will continue if we are still churning out non-competitive efforts in 12 months' time.

Can't really argue with any of that.

I do find it strange that we haven't been put under the blowtorch, but if we lose this week I expect that to change.

Sedat
13-05-2013, 10:30 AM
A bad loss to GC and a couple of Richmond game type performances will soon bring the acid onto us. Justifiably so too.
We've had no shortage of these performances in the last 18 matches - conservatively 2 out of every 3 losses in that time have been non-competitive thumpings. When we lose, we usually lose terribly.

Mantis
13-05-2013, 10:56 AM
We've had no shortage of these performances in the last 18 matches - conservatively 2 out of every 3 losses in that time have been non-competitive thumpings. When we lose, we usually lose terribly.

From our last 17 losses the margins fall into the following category:

1-30 points - 3
31-60 points - 6
61+ points - 8

Compare that to Melbourne:

1-30 - 5
31-60 - 4
61+ - 8

wimberga
13-05-2013, 11:53 AM

1-30 points - 3
31-60 points - 6
61+ points - 8

1-30 - 5
31-60 - 4
61+ - 8

I see what you guys are saying in that our recent record is very comparable to Melbourne and agree with that.

The difference in my eyes (and in the media) is that we have played well in recent years and actually been to the top. When you have been as high as we were, and then said 2 years ago its the beginning of a rebuild or "refresh", I and the media generally understand. We have also shown more ability in some games than melbourne has ever shown recently.

This is the reason that BMac gets less attention, because it generally looks like a rebuild. Melbourne on the other hand, appear to have gone nowhere for the last 5+ years. and whilst that isn't all Neelds fault, that is the reason that the media is infatuated with Melbourne. The media (and me) think that Melbourne NEED someone in there to change the culture, to shake things up and get them performing. With us, they (and me) think we just need time.

All of that said, I do agree that a loss to GC would see a larger media focus on us but you can see where we are going.

bornadog
13-05-2013, 12:02 PM

1-30 points - 3
31-60 points - 6
61+ points - 8

1-30 - 5
31-60 - 4
61+ - 8

Almost exactly the same.

We really need to start putting some wins together but I just can't see it happening.

I am still worried about our weekly selection policy and mistakes by the MC.

* Austin is not a full forward or second ruck, or KPP in the backline.
* No second ruck last week against WC
* Grant I believe better than Vez, Austin, Howard yet can't crack a game.
* Talia and Roberts should have been played from round one (ok Roberts injured, but Talia should have been). Roberts must play this week.
* Tutt is no forward pocket or HFF, why stick him there then can't get a kick and will now be dropped.

Just some I can think of.

Mofra
13-05-2013, 01:05 PM
I actually think we're the opposite to Melbourne in some ways.

They have real quality at both ends of the ground, but Jones is the only mid who would be playing regularly in other sides in the competition (arguably, Viney would play in alot but is developing).

They have little in the way of ruck stocks although I think Gawn will be good in time.

We have plenty of toughness (exactly what Melbourne lack) but really lack quality at both ends of the ground, although Jones & Roughy are playing much better this year than last.

The Pie Man
13-05-2013, 01:21 PM
It seems we both (Melb & WB) get killed on the spread - playing the G more often will highlight this issue more for the Dees. Watching us play in Perth is painful

Watching the first quarter last night, it seemed that either a) they thought a win was a fait accompli (which I struggle to believe) or b) they're just not interested in playing under Neeld. Half an hour bereft of any pressure or intensity. They were horrendous. GC should've been 8 goals up.

We've copped similar beltings, but we usually seem up for the fight....a least looking at the contested possession stats anyway *sigh*

Macca also seems to have guys like Mark Robinson in his pocket - and I've pointed out previously that the bar has been set pretty low for us this year anyway. Still staggered at that. I never expected finals over the summer, but I'd never expect to hear we're accepting potentially getting belted like we did in the pre-season.

bulldogtragic
13-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Reading this thread makes you wonder why we haven't had the acid put on us. By the stats alone, we deserve to be.

lemmon
13-05-2013, 01:40 PM
A lot of it has to do with how they've treated the lists as well, Neeld was going to live or die by his selections of Dawes, Byrnes, Rodan and Pedersen while we at least appear to be getting some development from within through Libba, Wallis, Dahlhaus, Roughy and Jones

Mantis
13-05-2013, 01:44 PM
One thing that B-Mac spoke about in his after match presser on Saturday was that over our recent horror stretch of results we haven't played any of the other dud teams which means we haven't been able to test ourselves against a more suited opponent... Well that changes over the next 3 weeks.. and than after the bye so hopefully we perform well in these games.

bulldogtragic
13-05-2013, 02:12 PM
One thing that B-Mac spoke about in his after match presser on Saturday was that over our recent horror stretch of results we haven't played any of the other dud teams which means we haven't been able to test ourselves against a more suited opponent... Well that changes over the next 3 weeks.. and than after the bye so hopefully we perform well in these games.
Build. Rod. Back.

Remi Moses
13-05-2013, 02:14 PM
A lot of it has to do with how they've treated the lists as well, Neeld was going to live or die by his selections of Dawes, Byrnes, Rodan and Pedersen while we at least appear to be getting some development from within through Libba, Wallis, Dahlhaus, Roughy and Jones

Exactly , the same media that lauded Neeld for bringing in "culture" are now turning on him.
The difference is perception.
Melbourne's been tanking and have a rebuild after a rebuild.
We've been crap since 2011.
They've been rubbish since 07, and the blowtorch will be applied .

Bulldog4life
13-05-2013, 07:11 PM

I'm confident we won't lose this one.

G-Mo77
13-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Saad gets called for play on shoot at goal. Daw took about a minute per shot on goal on Saturday. I guess the Saad story is not as good as the Daw one. Double standards!!!

Remi Moses
13-05-2013, 10:05 PM
What a great game of NBA we have tonight.
Carlton should be getting pantsed here. What a lazy disinterested effort(so far)
Riewoldt's in career best form.
West Sydney wanderers are going ok

Eastdog
13-05-2013, 11:14 PM
St. Kilda holds on and wins it as Carlton were coming in that last quarter.

Remi Moses
14-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Just wondering the Carlton fan reaction if Ratten had played 3 ruckmen?
Reckon Carlton have to many players who play on their own terms.