PDA

View Full Version : Tim Callan?

G-Mo77
07-10-2007, 12:59 AM
OK I have heard his name mentioned quite a number of times to be linked to the Bulldogs is there any real solid reports on this. I have not seen or read a thing?

And if so what kind of player is he? Never heard of him, well I may have I may not have took notice though :o

Dry Rot
07-10-2007, 01:01 AM
Good questions - and has anyone here actually seen him play?

LostDoggy
07-10-2007, 02:13 AM
I have more then a few times. Although to be fair not a lot this season. I've actually played with him on 3 or 4 times when he was in year 12 and i was in year 10 on pre-season tour of Adelaide. As a junior he was good....but i've played with and against better. Its hard to remember if guys were just jealous, but i remember a few people saying he would not have been noticed if Geelong weren't tracking him for a F/S(Also see Tim Clarke and David Clarke)

He's a midfielder, don't be fooled in to thinking he's a backman. In my opinion he plays he's best footy in the center or wings, as long as he is being accountable for a player. Doesn't sound encouraging? Well its not all doom and gloom, he's a skillful player that isn't afraid of a contest. But he's a light weight. At 181cm and a couple of grams over 80kg he's not going to bust through lines from the defensive 50.

At first i was very skeptical of the dogs going after him, as some of my posts on a nameless site might suggest. HE IS EXCESS AT GEELONG, and its very hard for them to cut a list that goes so deep. He's to good to delist, but at 24 and played only 15 games of AFL his days were numbered at Geelong.

But i'm changing my tune a little. If we get him cheaply then why not. He showed some good form in the VFL winning the Geelong B&F in a team that won the flag and finishing highly(2nd or 3rd?) in the Liston Medal. He would be a good depth player, and could find himself with a full time best 22 spot if McMahon leaves and Eagleton is over looked for games in 2008.

But one can't help but feel we have another Power, Birss, Faulkner on our hands...by that i mean, pretty handy. But premiership playing handy???? Time will tell.

southerncross
07-10-2007, 08:10 AM
OK I have heard his name mentioned quite a number of times to be linked to the Bulldogs is there any real solid reports on this. I have not seen or read a thing?

And if so what kind of player is he? Never heard of him, well I may have I may not have took notice though :o

I read the article that indicated that we were having talks with him so to some extent it has some validity. You never know how these things pan out though. I'd like to get him via the PSD if that is in anyway possible but other than that it should just be an exhange of 3rd round selections.

Dogs 24/7
07-10-2007, 09:24 PM
I think we will get him and he will be a good option for us as an interchange player.His best position might be as a small defender which will allow Gilbs to move to a wing.

G-Mo77
07-10-2007, 11:32 PM
Not long now guys. What time does it kick off tomorrow? 9?, 10am?

Will we get a deal done in the opening minute like last year?

DOG GOD
08-10-2007, 09:37 AM
10.30 at telstra dome. Hopefully the hudson deal is done today.

LostDoggy
08-10-2007, 05:34 PM
I dont expect any deals will formally be done today with Mainwarings funeral and all. Just out of respect.

Expect a big day of signings tomorrow though:)

The Bulldogs Bite
08-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Expect a big day of signings tomorrow though:)

I doubt it.

I suspect there will be about 5-8 trades completed all up.

1 or 2 on Wednesday. 1 on Thursday. The rest on Friday.

Davo066
09-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Understand Tim Callan is headed for Whitten Oval next season with only the details of the transaction to be sorted.

Dry Rot
09-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Threads merged.

Bulldog Revolution
09-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Cat Callan to become a Dog
3:21 PM Tue 9 October, 2007 | Back

By Ben Broad,
http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=52322
Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

News
GEELONG'S best and fairest winner from its VFL premiership side, Tim Callan, is headed for Whitten Oval next season.

Callan, who joined the club in 2002 under the father-son rule, will join the Western Bulldogs after the Cats’ recruiting manager Stephen Wells confirmed the two clubs had agreed on the transfer, with only the details of the transaction to be sorted.

“The two clubs and Tim have all agreed that Tim will be playing for the Bulldogs but we haven’t finalised exactly what the deal will be yet,” Wells said.

Meanwhile, Wells said “nothing had progressed” in relation to the futures of key ruckmen Mark Blake and Steven King, both of whom Geelong is keen to retain the services of in 2008.

It seems AFL clubs have been busy knocking on the Cats’ door early in trade week, given the club’s unprecedented run of success this year.

Callan, who played just 15 matches from limited opportunities in his time at Skilled Stadium, is the first Cat to depart the club in search of more game time at senior level.

And the Cats hope there won’t be many more in coming days, despite rival clubs’ increasing interest.

“There’s a bit of interest in quite a lot of our players but most of them we’re hoping still play for Geelong Football Club (next year),” Wells said.

While the Cats’ ruckmen have been in the spotlight as clubs queue up for a reliable ruckman, other prominent Cats to have their names mentioned during trade week include Kane Tenace, Brent Prismall, Charlie Gardiner and Henry Playfair.

“Tim (Callan) certainly is going to another club but at the moment all the other guys we’re hoping will be playing at Geelong,” Wells said.

“If there is an opportunity for them at another AFL club, well then certainly we’ll consider that.”

LostDoggy
09-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Yep so now we needa make a deal with the cats now we have Callan nearly transferred.

What are they gunna want? Pick #22? (Which we denied Adelaide getting lol)

Or someone like Sam Power, straight swap?

firstdogonthemoon
09-10-2007, 05:41 PM
So is this a good thing? A shorter quicker middley sort of guy?

southerncross
09-10-2007, 06:14 PM
So is this a good thing? A shorter quicker middley sort of guy?

I think so. From the Geelong supporters I know they rate him as a hard at it and committed defender who can also play a bit in the midfield.
I'm not sure if he is regarded as quick but he isn't slow.

Bulldog Revolution
09-10-2007, 07:38 PM
I think so. From the Geelong supporters I know they rate him as a hard at it and committed defender who can also play a bit in the midfield.
I'm not sure if he is regarded as quick but he isn't slow.

You get the feeling Callan was also pretty popular guy - given his status as Jimmy Bartels date at the Brownlow

I think its a situation in which we got to him first and sold him on a vision of him getting an opportunity with us, and Geelong dont have any major needs. They've got 6 odd players in the twos who would get a game for a lot of sides. I know I'd like to have Hawkins and Prismall on our fringes.

LostDoggy
09-10-2007, 08:28 PM
I mentioned it to a few Geelong supporters and jokingly have said that its the first step in the plan to get Jimmy Bartel....:D

Seeing as that they are close

LostDoggy
09-10-2007, 08:44 PM
So now its just the actual trade that needs to be sorted?
ahh i dont like the feeling of trade week.....i have a sinking feeling we'll be syaing goodbye to Jordy

but back to Callan, it'll be interesting to see how he goes

GVGjr
09-10-2007, 08:49 PM
So now its just the actual trade that needs to be sorted?
ahh i dont like the feeling of trade week.....i have a sinking feeling we'll be syaing goodbye to Jordy

but back to Callan, it'll be interesting to see how he goes

It's now just the finer points of if it's a 4th or 5th round selection. My understanding is that they have agreed to a range of a pick (say a pick between 45 or 55) and depending on the next day or so it can be completed. This is one trade that will go through.

Raw Toast
10-10-2007, 01:54 PM
It's now just the finer points of if it's a 4th or 5th round selection. My understanding is that they have agreed to a range of a pick (say a pick between 45 or 55) and depending on the next day or so it can be completed. This is one trade that will go through.

If we can't get a alte second-round for Power (or someone else) might we just swap second round picks with Geelong for Callan? (I think Sockeye was hinting this might happen on bf.)

In other words, we get Hudson and Callan for pick 22, with pick 34 going to the Crows. Geelong aren't going to use many picks this draft so don't really need our 4th or 5th rounder, especially as their last pick is already taken with a fs.

This would be a pretty good outcome for us imo.

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2007, 02:26 PM
In other words, we get Hudson and Callan for pick 22, with pick 34 going to the Crows. Geelong aren't going to use many picks this draft so don't really need our 4th or 5th rounder, especially as their last pick is already taken with a fs.

This would be a pretty good outcome for us imo.

So we send 22 to Geelong for Callan and 34

And then send 34 to Adelaide for Hudson

Cant imagine Adelaide being happy with this as Hudson is worth more than Callan

Callan will be traded for I suspect an exchange of our 4th/5th round pick so that Geelong select a bit earlier - Geelong wont use that many picks so they will be happy to give us a pick back

Raw Toast
10-10-2007, 03:16 PM
So we send 22 to Geelong for Callan and 34

And then send 34 to Adelaide for Hudson

Cant imagine Adelaide being happy with this as Hudson is worth more than Callan

Callan will be traded for I suspect an exchange of our 4th/5th round pick so that Geelong select a bit earlier - Geelong wont use that many picks so they will be happy to give us a pick back

I thought Adelaide had already agreed to receiving a second round pick from us (any second round pick as far as I know). If this is the case it's like the Ackermanis/McDougall deal last year when we effectively get two-for-one.

Geelong is using their last pick on an already nominated father-son so don't need to upgrade that pick. They seem likely to promote 1-2 rookies (Davenport and Lonergan) and so are going to struggle to find room for the mandatory 3 picks, let alone four. Makes much more sense for them to try and upgrade their 2nd round pick (and/or maybe their third if they want to have four picks).

Adelaide are probably being ripped off a bit if the deal goes like this, but it's still much better for them than having to let Hudson go in the PSD.

Bulldog Revolution
10-10-2007, 03:51 PM
I thought Adelaide had already agreed to receiving a second round pick from us (any second round pick as far as I know). If this is the case it's like the Ackermanis/McDougall deal last year when we effectively get two-for-one.

Geelong is using their last pick on an already nominated father-son so don't need to upgrade that pick. They seem likely to promote 1-2 rookies (Davenport and Lonergan) and so are going to struggle to find room for the mandatory 3 picks, let alone four. Makes much more sense for them to try and upgrade their 2nd round pick (and/or maybe their third if they want to have four picks).

Adelaide are probably being ripped off a bit if the deal goes like this, but it's still much better for them than having to let Hudson go in the PSD.

The papers have sepculated that Adelaide want between 22 and 29 as compensation for Hudson.

Fair point about the father-son, I now believe Callan will trade for an upgrade on a 3rd/4th round pick then. We will not be paying much for Callan.

IMHO theres ABSOLUTELY no way our number 22 is heading to Geelong as part of a deal for Callan. It might make more sense for Geelong but it is not going to happen. The most likely destination for pick 22 is Adelaide.

Topdog
10-10-2007, 08:47 PM
IMHO theres ABSOLUTELY no way our number 22 is heading to Geelong as part of a deal for Callan. It might make more sense for Geelong but it is not going to happen. The most likely destination for pick 22 is Adelaide.

I can't see 22 going to Geelong either. I still don't think 22 is going to Adelaide either.

lukedarcy14
11-10-2007, 07:47 PM
according to the hsun bulldogs will give geelong our last pick in the draft?