PDA

View Full Version : State of Origin / Exhibition Game

bulldogtragic
13-05-2013, 04:14 PM
It's been about five years since I went to the G and watched Fevola and the Big V rip the shreds off the all stars. I had a ripping time.

Is it time to do it again, or has this ship passed by with the modern game?

Remi Moses
13-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Ships passed.
Vics murder any opponent anyway

chef
13-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Ships passed for me too.

Scraggers
13-05-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm old school ... I love State of Origin footy.
Playing the games mid-season is probably a thing of the past, but I don't see a reason why it can't be played a couple of weeks after the grand final. To me its a much better exhibition of our game than the Irish roundball international series we current partake.

bornadog
13-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Ships passed.
Vics murder any opponent anyway

Ships passed for me too.

This^^

I'm old school ... I love State of Origin footy.
Playing the games mid-season is probably a thing of the past, but I don't see a reason why it can't be played a couple of weeks after the grand final. To me its a much better exhibition of our game than the Irish roundball international series we current partake.

The trouble is how do the players stay fit till after the GF if they have finished up at the end of August?

Scraggers
13-05-2013, 05:58 PM
The trouble is how do the players stay fit till after the GF if they have finished up at the end of August?

The elite players (those that should be chosen to represent their state) will have no problems with this ... those playing international rules play in the off-season and fitness do not have a great concern there.

All during their junior football lives, players strive to be in the elite and represent their state (obviously there is another driving force behind that ... AFL selection). Once they start playing at the ultimate level, state representation is no longer an option.

Rugby league do this so well ... The NSW v Qld rivalry is legendary ... most of us here watch these games. To me, state of origin should not have die with Teddy; it still has a place within our game.

Bulldog4life
13-05-2013, 06:43 PM
The elite players (those that should be chosen to represent their state) will have no problems with this ... those playing international rules play in the off-season and fitness do not have a great concern there.

All during their junior football lives, players strive to be in the elite and represent their state (obviously there is another driving force behind that ... AFL selection). Once they start playing at the ultimate level, state representation is no longer an option.

Rugby league do this so well ... The NSW v Qld rivalry is legendary ... most of us here watch these games. To me, state of origin should not have die with Teddy; it still has a place within our game.

Yes let us "stick it up 'em" again for EJ.

bulldogtragic
05-06-2013, 09:39 PM
I know the AFL has moved on, but geez the NRL hs taken the SOO concept and gone fom strength to strength. Go blues!

LostDoggy
05-06-2013, 10:08 PM
I've lived in Tas, Vic, NSW and QLD. And nothing seems to compare to the NRL state of origin. To their credit they have created a monster. This thing commands the best players and they are all willing to sacrifice themself for their state. Kind of makes the AFL boys look uninspiring faking injuries so not to play the last few SOOs in the AFL.
Hell there has even been Kiwis relinquishing their own country so they can play the game.

bulldogtragic
05-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Blues win tonight, and are cracking VB stubbies in the rooms just 15 minutes after the siren. I can't remember the last time I saw that in the AFL...

LostDoggy
05-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Blues win tonight, and are cracking VB stubbies in the rooms just 15 minutes after the siren. I can't remember the last time I saw that in the AFL...

I'm still shocked by Trent Barretts form. Went to open the VB with his hands thought better, went to open it using his suit jacket and thought better, then decided his teeth was the best option.

bornadog
05-06-2013, 11:38 PM

It happens in the AFL believe me.

bulldogtragic
05-06-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm still shocked by Trent Barretts form. Went to open the VB with his hands thought better, went to open it using his suit jacket and thought better, then decided his teeth was the best option.
That made me giggle too. I was reading his face as he was struggling to open it... and I was thinking, "no, no, youre not using your mouth to open it, no, oh come on man". :)

bulldogtragic
05-06-2013, 11:41 PM
It happens in the AFL believe me.
I'm sure you're right BAD. But my point was that Vlad has made sure that stuff happens away from camera. I suppose he has made the game appear 'nicer' to mums...

Go_Dogs
06-06-2013, 12:27 AM
The fanfare that goes with the Rugby SOO games really makes me sad we no longer have such games.

I know there are sound reasons why, but wouldn't it be great to see the best 44 players in the competition go head to head? Shame it never looks likely to happen again.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Buddha Hocking got mentioned in another thread, and origin was on last night... So...

I remember loving our origin for being allowed to support other teams players under the guise of the Big V. We all loved cheering for Ablett and Lockett, but I think my favourite player to support for that one week, that one game, was Buddha.

azabob
29-05-2014, 11:18 AM
I hear what you are saying BT.

I'd be conflicted though - the player I want to support is Chad Wingard but he is a south aussie, whereas Im a Victorian.

I always like supporting Gavin Brown in state games.

bornadog
29-05-2014, 11:24 AM
I never ever supported anyone in state of origin other than our players. I usually want Vic to win but our players to do well and not get injured.

bulldogtragic
29-05-2014, 11:32 AM

I'd be conflicted though - the player I want to support is Chad Wingard but he is a south aussie, whereas Im a Victorian.

Imagine a state game with a forward line of Cameron, Patton & Boyd! :)

Good call of Gav. I think Ang Christou played in Teddy's game, woofing as he kicked it was fun for that game. Then next week I hated Carlton fans for doing the same.

State of Origin is a bit like the wife (or WBFC) sending you down to the strippers. You can be as excited about the other team of skilful bodies on the field, get excited, have a good time, have a beer or two, and after 3 hours then leave still 100% committed to the lifelong commitment (marriage & membership to the WBFC).

I know it's dead, but I think a rep match preseason would make up for now proper Night Series. Time wise it fits with clubs and players, and if you saw the last match Victoria versus The All Stars, high scoring bruise free footy can be enjoyable if the players skills are so good.

craigsahibee
29-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Too much at stake at clubland for a mickey mouse AFL state of origin match.

That last one against the all stars was all one way footy.

As a concept it's dead and buried and frankly, I'm over the conversation that seems to be raised by the little paper every year.

bornadog
29-05-2014, 12:51 PM

As a concept it's dead and buried and frankly, I'm over the conversation that seems to be raised by the little paper every year.

This ^^^

bulldogtragic
29-05-2014, 01:59 PM

The reason anyone keeps mentioning it is that each year the players association give a questionnaire to their members, the afl players. Each year the players overwhelmingly (I think over 75% ongoing) want a representative match. I think the thinking was a game pre-season as the players need to play some games, and a representative bruise free footy match is not dissimilar to the current NAB Cup types of games. This wouldn't interfere with their mid season breaks either. All the players junior careers 99% downed their state jumpers and formed relationships along those lines.

I wouldn't be unhappy to release our players from a bruise free NAB Cup game to a bruise free State based game before the season. Personally, I enjoyed the real old style Night series and replacement is garbage. A game like this a few weeks out from the start of the season would be a real call to arms to footy fans to get out. The MCG would be full and the clubs should have stands inside and out to sell memberships too.

Remi Moses
29-05-2014, 03:24 PM
No thanks

chef
29-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Yeah thank god it's gone, last thing you need is to lose a player in a exhibition game.

Maddog37
29-05-2014, 07:41 PM
As much as playing in those state games was an injury risk it also had the ability to be the making of a player. When a player has a good game in a state game they can really get a massive boost in their self belief.

SonofScray
31-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Don't think I want SOO footy back, to be frank. I put Footscray above all others in the world of footy and the only players I am interested in seeing succeed are those in our tricoloured jumper.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2014, 12:19 AM

I liked Anthony Stevens too. I think he was under recognised in the comp and the matter with his wife created a cloud around his career.

bulldogtragic
16-09-2014, 09:36 PM
With the chat about footy songs etc... Now time has passed, I never liked the song about 'don't let the big V down, not when EJ's around'. I always inferred it's ok to let them down when Teddy passed.

Would love to see a All Australian type skilled rep game like the players want.

craigsahibee
17-09-2014, 10:03 AM
With the chat about footy songs etc... Now time has passed, I never liked the song about 'don't let the big V down, not when EJ's around'. I always inferred it's ok to let them down when Teddy passed.

Would love to see a All Australian type skilled rep game like the players want.

Pick the best 44 players based on average Dream Team / Supercoach Points over the year. 12 best Defenders, 12 best Forwards and 20 best Mids including a couple of rucks. The little paper can promote it under whatever fantasy system they run with. Then make allowances for out of season injuries/surgeries etc and you might get to fork out $25 to go to Etihad in March to see the likes of Bernie Vince, Scott Thompson, Mitch Robinson and others run around and be thankful that these spuds don't play for the Bulldogs.

Not for me.

chef
17-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Couldn't think of anything worse than the players running around in a friendly game playing bruise free footy.

bulldogtragic
01-12-2022, 10:35 PM
Mitch Cleary on Twitter tonight:

The AFL is on the verge of announcing a game to celebrate all cultures.

Will be played between an Indigenous All-Stars v World line-up including players from multicultural backgrounds.

February is the most likely slot on the eve of the season

bornadog
01-12-2022, 11:50 PM
Hopefully none of our players are picked

jazzadogs
01-12-2022, 11:54 PM
Mitch Cleary on Twitter tonight:

The AFL is on the verge of announcing a game to celebrate all cultures.

Will be played between an Indigenous All-Stars v World line-up including players from multicultural backgrounds.

February is the most likely slot on the eve of the season

I am generally in favour of State of Origin/rep games, especially with the right approach that builds it up to something meaningful, but this proposed game sounds very tokenistic.

bulldogtragic
02-12-2022, 08:39 AM
I am generally in favour of State of Origin/rep games, especially with the right approach that builds it up to something meaningful, but this proposed game sounds very tokenistic.

I’m sure this proposed game will simply highlight all the good things that the AFEL ‘Hawthorn Review’ finds. It’s kind of like the build up to Qatar WC. Get the coloured folk and migrants to build the event, and take the physical risks, while the mostly white guys sit back and come in later for the real thing.

So the AFEL read the stories about Qatar and thought ‘how can we emulate this?’. This is a bad idea and surely it doesn’t happen.

Aside, I think our eligible players if it goes ahead are:

I: Marra, L. Jones, A. Jones
M: JJ, Khamis, Raak

Happy Days
02-12-2022, 10:11 AM

Especially since Cleary’s tweet quote-tweeted a 7 News clip discussing the Hawks’ “investigation”

The Underdog
02-12-2022, 10:44 AM

Classic AFL. When faced with the option of some deep introspection and making systemic change or coming up with a facile marketing opportunity to make them seem progressive, they'll always choose the latter.

Axe Man
02-12-2022, 10:45 AM
Who qualifies as "multicultural" exactly?

Grantysghost
02-12-2022, 11:00 AM

Good point - I have Norwegian heritage.

Axe Man
02-12-2022, 11:34 AM
Good point - I have Norwegian heritage.

Do you find yourself pining for the fjords?

EasternWest
02-12-2022, 11:36 AM

You know moose bites can be pretty nasty.

Grantysghost
02-12-2022, 11:37 AM

No I drive a Hjolden !!

See what you can do if you try smart comedy guys.

Grantysghost
02-12-2022, 11:39 AM
You know moose bites can be pretty nasty.

You haven't lived until you've been humped by a Musk Ox.

Some of the animals there are scary too.

Rocket Science
02-12-2022, 06:41 PM
https://i.ibb.co/k1NhdXm/Screen-Shot-2022-12-02-at-5-39-26-pm.png (https://ibb.co/dg8QhDm)

jazzadogs
02-12-2022, 06:49 PM

It's the 'everybody who isn't white' game! Woohoo! Problems solved!

hujsh
02-12-2022, 07:21 PM
It's the 'everybody who isn't white' game! Woohoo! Problems solved!

Depends what you consider white. I bet Bontempelli will be consiered 'multicultural'

EasternWest
02-12-2022, 08:56 PM
https://i.ibb.co/k1NhdXm/Screen-Shot-2022-12-02-at-5-39-26-pm.png (https://ibb.co/dg8QhDm)

That is chef's kiss, Rocket.

Happy Days
02-12-2022, 10:18 PM
Depends what you consider white. I bet Bontempelli will be consiered 'multicultural'

What are you trying to say?

https://youtu.be/UiX8gizzfO0

hujsh
02-12-2022, 10:47 PM
What are you trying to say?

https://youtu.be/UiX8gizzfO0

Don't call Chris Cuomo on me please

bulldogtragic
20-12-2022, 09:55 PM
So no game any time soon… Just to get a headline while the Hawthorn ‘nothing to see here’ Review is on. On brand…

DPRK news:

Indigenous v Multicultural All-Stars game set for 2024

THERE will be no Indigenous and Multicultural All-Stars match this pre-season, but the AFL has confirmed it is working towards holding the game in early 2024.

The League sent a memo to clubs on Tuesday outlining its plans, saying the runway to execute such a match in the next two to three months and play it ahead of the 2023 premiership season was just too short.

The idea was discussed at the recent Indigenous and Multicultural Player Summit in Geelong, which bought together more than 100 AFL and AFLW players from Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and multicultural backgrounds.

The match, which would celebrate diversity in the code at the highest level, has widespread support from players and clubs.

However, after further consultation with clubs, along with ascertaining the availability of players and grounds, the AFL has decided another 12 months would give the concept the best chance of success.

An Indigenous team this season could have included the likes of Lance Franklin, Steven May, Charlie Cameron and Shai Bolton, while a multicultural All-Stars outfit could include players like Aliir Aliir, Adam Saad, Mabior Chol and Nic Naitanui.

What the teams look like in 2024 is anyone's guess, but the concept looks set to get off the ground.

Andrew Dillon, the AFL's footy operations boss, said the match would "bring together the industry, provide a platform to universally rally around and celebrate the diversity of footy".

"It will be a privilege to offer a game such as this to the community and we look forward to seeing these cohorts of talent in our game come together and showcased at some point in the future," he said