PDA

View Full Version : What happens if we lose on the weekend?

MrMahatma
14-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Anything? Does the heat come on Macca?

Does anything happen if we win?

Is this a complete non-event?

Greystache
14-05-2013, 09:37 AM
If we lose the heat will come, maybe not as much as it might have done because of where Melbourne's at and how Brisbane is going, but it will be there. If we get smashed it will pretty intense however.

If we win it will quiet down any rumblings as it will be perceived as confirmation we're on the right track.

LostDoggy
14-05-2013, 09:42 AM
I was thinking yesterday how important this game is for the very reason stated by Greystache. A win is super important to show we are tracking upwards. This is one of our most important games in recent history in my opinion.

whythelongface
14-05-2013, 09:46 AM
If we lose the heat will come, maybe not as much as it might have done because of where Melbourne's at and how Brisbane is going, but it will be there. If we get smashed it will pretty intense however.

If we win it will quiet down any rumblings as it will be perceived as confirmation we're on the right track.

Yep agree with this.

The only thing that I will add is that it is a must win game in terms of confidence for the playing group. They really need a win to instill some self belief. Every loss plays on the mind of the players and they start having doubts as to whether or not they can win again.

Bulldog Joe
14-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Yep agree with this.

The only thing that I will add is that it is a must win game in terms of confidence for the playing group. They really need a win to instill some self belief. Every loss plays on the mind of the players and they start having doubts as to whether or not they can win again.

I agree that the confidence from a win is really important. Conversely a loss would be a real dent in that confidence and may have the playing group also questioning where they are heading.

At the same time it is not just a straight forward thing.

We have had a pretty difficult fixture with the North game coming off a six day break from Perth. This is about the most difficult turn around for a Melbourne based side, with the time difference also increasing the problems with recovery.

I think it is no coincidence that our younger players all performed below average against North. While we were competitive it was really on the back of strong efforts from Griffen and Murphy in particular. Add effective contribution from Gia and Markovic and 4 of the better performers did not even make the trip to Perth.

Hopefully we will see those younger players in a better light this week.

The eventual rating of our season is not dependent on this game, but a confidence boost will certainly help to invigorate and maybe lead to better performances as the season progresses.

LostDoggy
14-05-2013, 11:05 AM
I am as pessimistic going into this game as any in the past 18 months. Ablett is going to tear us a new a---hole. At the same time, I don't think a win/loss “proves” anything. You can have a good loss and a bad win (and no, I'm not “accepting mediocrity”) and we could have either this week.

If we lose, the baying for blood will commence. If we win, it'll be written off as “only Gold Coast, who obviously let the Melbourne win go to their young heads.” So it's pretty hard to then judge our own progression on such things.

The focus should be on how the group responds to the North Melbourne game, particularly in the last quarter, and how they fare travelling to a much different climate for the second week in a row.

soupman
14-05-2013, 12:08 PM
If we lose, the baying for blood will commence. If we win, it'll be written off as “only Gold Coast, who obviously let the Melbourne win go to their young heads.” So it's pretty hard to then judge our own progression on such things.

I thik that this is pretty much what will happen, with the exception being that if we thrash them we will get a bit more dredit than that.

A win will demonstrate we are on the right track, lift morale and make that 1 win in 18 games stat look a bit better.

A loss would really hurt the confidence of the playing group and also the support. I'm not even sure the media will have to get on our backs to make life hard for Macca because there is increasing discontent amongst our support base. I fear that if we lose we are going to have to positively wade through the deluge of pessimistic anti-Macca/club/playing group posts nd opinions of many ofour faithful, regardless of the quality of the loss.

The Pie Man
14-05-2013, 12:49 PM
We're not favourites*, so an 'honorable' loss will mean little.
Stache nailed it re: getting pantsed - that's what B-Mac will be hoping to avoid.

*Odds I saw this morning had GC at $1.60, us at $2.30

chef
14-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Not much will happen if we lose IMO as they are already a better side than us and are further along in their development. Plus sadly we aren't that relevant in the media ATM.

GWS or Melbourne, well that's a different story.

bulldogtragic
14-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Not much will happen if we lose IMO as they are already a better side than us and are further along in their development. Plus sadly we aren't that relevant in the media ATM.

GWS or Melbourne, well that's a different story.
Agree with the media not reporting on us. From a members point of view, it'd be time to break out the coolade.

Bulldog4life
14-05-2013, 02:10 PM
I was thinking yesterday how important this game is for the very reason stated by Greystache. A win is super important to show we are tracking upwards. This is one of our most important games in recent history in my opinion.

I agree Hobdog. Important for the players that we win and also for Macca.

DragzLS1
14-05-2013, 02:23 PM
If we win this game by less then 3 goals we will still have alot of teh supporters calling for blood! That is just how it is.

I think Gold COast will start strong, Pulling away early before a late couple of goals leading into half time. Then teh dogs come back to a 2 point ball game by 3qtr time, only to pull away by 25 points in the final term. THats just how I see it playing out.

If we lose, I think the media will do there best to rip us a new 1.

Can see Jones kicking 5 though and Cross being bog

Remi Moses
14-05-2013, 02:30 PM
In perspective GC are passing us.
Stkilda( better team than us ATM) lost up there.

Eastdog
14-05-2013, 03:25 PM
I reckon if we play 4 quarters instead of 3 quarters against the Suns then I think we can win. We really need to get a win to give us some confidence because I do not enjoy losing week in week out and all posters on here would feel exactly the same.

ratsmac
14-05-2013, 06:10 PM
I think that we should win this one, however that is definitely no way assured. If we win it will be as other posters have already said, and just a win over Gold c#&ts suns. This win would be really good for the group though, it will lift moral. It will keep the fans at bay too.

A loss should bring heat and so it should. The players should feel this heat as well and not just Macca and his assistants. I would really like to see Macca come out on the front foot and wear the heat though and protect his players in this situation. If he wants his players to want to really give their all for him and the club, he can't continue to make excuses for the players for being young or whatever, he has to bring it on himself and relieve any outside pressure from the playing group. Classic José Mourinho, he makes himself look like a big headed twat and the media are all over him but are leaving his players alone.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-05-2013, 06:15 PM

The Gold Coast will go into this game expecting to win and will be chockful of confidence after their big win over Melbourne. A lot will depend on our ability to curb the brilliance of Ablett etc etc. We are still very much a work in progress and will need Griffen, Boyd, Murphy, Minson, Jones and Cooney to lead the charge. We have sadly lacked height in our past two defeats against WCE and North and believe we will become a better team when Stringer, Roberts and Talia, become regular and match hardened League players.

bornadog
14-05-2013, 08:04 PM

I will be completely embarrassed if we lose, and so should the players, the coaches and the club.

Ghost Dog
14-05-2013, 08:37 PM
I will be completely embarrassed if we lose, and so should the players, the coaches and the club.

Why? Gary Ablett is the best player in the comp. This club has had an open cheque book. Big chance we will get done this week and the bookies agree.

Remi Moses
14-05-2013, 09:02 PM

So I take it Stkilda should be embarrassed as well.
There going past us. You haven't noticed they've picked the eyes out of a few drafts.
If we lose to GWS however.

Maddog37
14-05-2013, 09:24 PM
I expect to win well if our attitude is good. If we can minimise turnovers we will win by a decent margin. Would like to see Boyd tag Ablett.

I have been known to be overly optimistic though.

AndrewP6
14-05-2013, 09:55 PM
In answer to the question posed in the thread title: I will probably shed a few (drunken) tears. In the most manly way, of course.

bornadog
15-05-2013, 12:02 AM
So I take it Stkilda should be embarrassed as well.

Personally I don't give a rats about other clubs, but to answer your question, I bet they were.

Remi Moses
15-05-2013, 12:55 AM
Surely, you'd have to admit they're passing us in their football journey?
They've had the keys to the loot draft wise,a bloke who carries them on his back ( Stkilda game)
These franchise teams are going to beat us eventually.

Topdog
15-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Exactly Remi. The only team that should be embarrassed about it is Richmond.
GC are a year ahead of us in their development.

G-Mo77
15-05-2013, 10:31 AM
They'll upset a few teams up there this year, conditions can be tricky up North so they'll be a hand full.

If we lose my alarm bells will continue to stay off, a win would be great but I won't be slitting my wrists or calling for blood if we don't.

craigsahibee
15-05-2013, 01:53 PM
I will fall one further behind in the Footy Tipping Comp at work.

DragzLS1
15-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Will lose around $70 backing us at $2.25

Also will prob get sh0t down by the media (Lloydy most likely will get stuck in)

Topdog
15-05-2013, 08:48 PM
It's official, it will be blowtorch time

"@Stevo7AFL: If Dogs fair dinkum they beat GC .. Top end experience/structure should be enough to get job done .. If not blowtorch time ..."

The Bulldogs Bite
16-05-2013, 01:46 AM
It's official, it will be blowtorch time

It's about time.

Even when we've been "in" games, we've looked pretty ordinary IMO.

jeemak
16-05-2013, 02:01 AM
I didn't know Stevo was a "pants-off" Brucey Bruce type but it seems from his recent tweet he's starting to buy into the pack mentality and hyperbole of the general football media.

That's a bit of a shame, though I wait with bated breath for his dissection of the reasons for our predicament and its causes in a truly balanced sense if we do in fact lose.

Greystache
16-05-2013, 02:08 AM
I didn't know Stevo was a "pants-off" Brucey Bruce type but it seems from his recent tweet he's starting to buy into the pack mentality and hyperbole of the general football media.

That's a bit of a shame, though I wait with bated breath for his dissection of the reasons for our predicament and its causes in a truly balanced sense if we do in fact lose.

I'd like to hope so but he also has a boss to report to, Stevo is a good Bulldogs man and isn't as reactionary as some of the other media types.

Having said that we should win and there isn't any excuses if we don't.

Remi Moses
16-05-2013, 02:48 AM
For crying out loud the pack mentality of the media is becoming tiresome .
We've done Neeld Voss and if they don't beat GC let's get into McCartney.
I had GC finishing above us and most pundits have us finishing second bottom.
So if they knock us off are we all going to gather our pick forks and our blowtorch and head to the Whitten Oval.

jeemak
16-05-2013, 02:49 AM
I'd like to hope so but he also has a boss to report to, Stevo is a good Bulldogs man and isn't as reactionary as some of the other media types.

I'm not really sure how much a twitter feed which is seemingly personalised would be influenced by HS management though.

Appreciate he's subject to directives like the rest of us who are lucky enough to be gainfully employed.

Also agree he's been a great Bulldogs man, and an asset to our club through a lot of his work.

I suppose it's why his tweet seemed a bit odd to me.

Remi Moses
16-05-2013, 02:50 AM

I think we'll win as well, but I'm not buying into the worlds "Caving In" if we get beat either.

Greystache
16-05-2013, 02:56 AM
I'm not really sure how much a twitter feed which is seemingly personalised would be influenced by HS management though.

Appreciate he's subject to directives like the rest of us who are lucky enough to be gainfully employed.

Also agree he's been a great Bulldogs man, and an asset to our club through a lot of his work.

I suppose it's why his tweet seemed a bit odd to me.

He works for channel 7 these days. I wonder if they've got a story ready to go if we lose and he's prepping us for it. With 24/7 coverage stories need to be created as much as reported.

I think we'll win as well, but I'm not buying into the worlds "Caving In" if we get beat either.

Nor am I, but realistically we should win and if we don't it raises questions as to how our improvement is tracking.

jeemak
16-05-2013, 03:00 AM
He works for channel 7 these days. I wonder if they've got a story ready to go if we lose and he's prepping us for it. With 24/7 coverage stories need to be created as much as reported.

Nor am I, but realistically we should win and if we don't it raises questions as to how our improvement is tracking.

I reckon the strategy boys and girls at CH7 would have been lining us up for a few weeks, I suppose we just need to hope Melbourne keep getting worse.

This weekend for me is a classic win at home almost certainty versus a lose away possibility.

We're evenly matched with GCS now, shit happens.

LostDoggy
16-05-2013, 09:34 AM

Precisely.

They are in their third year of existence and with the exception of Ablett and Harbrow their experienced players are either out of the side or duds.

Whilst we are a relattively young side we have experienced and hardened players throughout the side.

To lose to Gold Coast would suggest we are yet to bottom out and if this is the case, then the coaching team has a lot to answer for because that would indicate no improvement over the past 18 months. With players like Griffen, Cooney, Gia, Boyd, Cross, Minson, Murphy, Morris and Picken there are no excuses.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-05-2013, 12:14 PM
-We'd be one step closer to getting our most preferred pick in the next draft. I am not saying it would be better not to win but this is the elephant in the locker.

Mofra
16-05-2013, 01:15 PM
-We'd be one step closer to getting our most preferred pick in the next draft. I am not saying it would be better not to win but this is the elephant in the locker.
The best player of the draft in 2004, 2005 and 2012 was pick 5 ;)

The Bulldogs Bite
16-05-2013, 03:20 PM

I see what you did there. ;)

What about 2007? :p

BornInDroopSt'54
16-05-2013, 03:45 PM

Facts stranger than fiction.:confused: but I take your point that there are no guarantees. It's something of a black art.

Remi Moses
16-05-2013, 04:16 PM

On the flip side the form forward Nick Riewoldt was pick 1.

Mofra
16-05-2013, 05:53 PM
On the flip side the form forward Nick Riewoldt was pick 1.
Arguably, Riewoldt & Cooney are the only two no 1 picks who are the best of their draft.

Dry Rot
16-05-2013, 05:53 PM
How would a neutral fan bet on this match?

GC has had a better year than us so far, is above us on the table and it's their home game.

I don't think it's a disaster if we lose.

Remi Moses
16-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Arguably, Riewoldt & Cooney are the only two no 1 picks who are the best of their draft.

Common sense dictates that number 1 pick is better than 5.
Call all the shots with pick 1 in every regard.
Pre season Rookie and National Drafts. The silly AFL system gives you a distinct advantage by finishing bottom.

LostDoggy
17-05-2013, 10:21 AM
If we don't win this we will be placed in the same boat as Melbourne. All the other games we have played has been 'acceptable' to lose. But this one won't be.

whythelongface
17-05-2013, 10:30 AM
How would a neutral fan bet on this match?

GC has had a better year than us so far, is above us on the table and it's their home game.

I don't think it's a disaster if we lose.

Good points DR. I would think that from a neutral observer's perspective that the GC are warm favourites as justified by the odds on the game. A home game for a team in reasonable form with one G Ablett leading the way, against an opposition that has won only once in 18 games makes a pretty strong argument for the neutral supporter to back the GC.

Definitely not a disaster if we lose, however a win will certainly be a much needed confidence booster to the team and their supporters.

Dancin' Douggy
17-05-2013, 08:53 PM

The 'Brontosaurus in the matchbox'

Remi Moses
17-05-2013, 09:02 PM
If we don't win this we will be placed in the same boat as Melbourne. All the other games we have played has been 'acceptable' to lose. But this one won't be.

Absolute nonsense. Melbourne are a rabble and have been since 2007.
There non competitive and look like they don't give a stuff.
Gold Coast are going past us, that's a given.
It would be complete list mismanagement if they didn't put together a half decent team.
Heat will come on McCartney but the comparison to the plight of Melbourne is just plain wrong!

bulldogtragic
17-05-2013, 09:06 PM
It would be complete list mismanagement if they didn't put together a half decent team.
Heat will come on McCartney but the comparison to the plight of Melbourne is just plain wrong!
Agree. BMac will cop the heat, not the club (as Melbourne is suffering from).

LostDoggy
17-05-2013, 09:13 PM

I'm not saying I will think it. But the media will. They already are saying it, this will just hit the nail in the coffin if we do lose.

I think we will win (hopefully by over 40 points)

Remi Moses
17-05-2013, 09:17 PM
There's a million accredited football journos all looking for an angle.
It will just emphasise how little some actually know about the game.
We saw today the questions the angry ant Clarko got, and honestly what an indictment on journalism that was.

jeemak
17-05-2013, 11:44 PM

I'm not saying I will think it. But the media will. They already are saying it, this will just hit the nail in the coffin if we do lose.

I think we will win (hopefully by over 40 points)

Agree. BMac will cop the heat, not the club (as Melbourne is suffering from).

There's a million accredited football journos all looking for an angle.
It will just emphasise how little some actually know about the game.
We saw today the questions the angry ant Clarko got, and honestly what an indictment on journalism that was.

All pointing to the same outcome, which is the media is looking for another chance to flog another team and create some tension on which to report.

The thing about the heat that comes on to any team in our situation is the analysis that forms it is incredibly shallow.

I barely read any papers these days, and I sure as shit don't watch footy related TV programs because they're the worst at giving a team only three minutes of unmitigated lambasting.

Life's better if you ignore the heat. Trust me.

GVGjr
18-05-2013, 11:28 AM

I think the media focus is now on Melbourne but a loss today will start to apply some pressure on the coaching team.

They have been given more resources than last year and it needs to start and pay off.

The development of youngsters, the focus on contested ball and the teaching of the players aspect we have been hearing about for a while now has a very limited shelf life because results still need to happen on the field.

The upside for the coaching team is that so many of the younger guys are improving.
I've been delighted with the development of Roughead, Jones, Johannisen, Liberatore and Wallis, I'm excited by the successful introductions of Stringer and Macrae and the potential of Hrovat plus I think the likes of Stevens, Lower, Young and Goodes are real positives.

It's a shame Talia hasn't been on the park.

If we lose, there will be a lot more pressure from the media and I guess the board of the club but this was always going to be another development year.

The Pie Man
18-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Hmmm this 3rd quarter has been dismal - looking like the pantsing that Macca would've wanted to avoid....

Mantis
18-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Is it too early to change 'if' to 'when'?

Disappointing.. and the heat will come.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2013, 08:04 PM
(Liam) Jonestown. Break out the coolade.

Time for action!

Scraggers
18-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Is it too early to change 'if' to 'when'?

Disappointing.. and the heat will come.

I hope the heat does come ... That was disgraceful. Change has to come

AndrewP6
18-05-2013, 08:09 PM
In answer to the question posed in the thread title: I will probably shed a few (drunken) tears. In the most manly way, of course.

I have dreadful hay fever tonight.

The Pie Man
18-05-2013, 08:12 PM
So what happens now we've lost?

Wasn't quite the pantsing that looked on at 3 qtr time, but really we were poo for most of the night. Something's up, and something needs to change

craigsahibee
18-05-2013, 08:16 PM
List management must start now.

Goodes makes too many errors both skill and decision wise.

Boyd is ineffective, so is Cross.

Gia offers nothing anymore and is only denying a younger player much needed development time on the ground.

I understand why it took Nick Lower 3 clubs to play 50 games.

I welcome some media pressure because if that's what it takes for some hard decisions to be made well bring it on.

Chris Grant said in his retirement speech that this club honoured individuals far too much. Now is a good time to make a stand and tap a few of these guys on the shoulder.

KT31
18-05-2013, 08:18 PM
So what happens now we've lost?

Wasn't quite the pantsing that looked on at 3 qtr time, but really we were poo for most of the night. Something's up, and something needs to change

Only really three choices at a footy club.
Change the players.
or
Change the coaching staff
or
change both.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2013, 08:19 PM
List management must start now.

Goodes makes too many errors both skill and decision wise.

Boyd is ineffective, so is Cross.

Gia offers nothing anymore and is only denying a younger player much needed development time on the ground.

I understand why it took Nick Lower 3 clubs to play 50 games.

I welcome some media pressure because if that's what it takes for some hard decisions to be made well bring it on.

Chris Grant said in his retirement speech that this club honoured individuals far too much. Now is a good time to make a stand and tap a few of these guys on the shoulder.
Great post!

jeemak
18-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Gia was our second best forward tonight and at least presented.

Boyd and Cross were ineffective, and I can't see any future with each of Lower and Picken playing in the same side. We can't carry either of them if they're not tagging.

We went in a midfielder short, and in hindsight should have left Wallis in the side.

As for this week, the players need to have a very long hard look at themselves and commit to being better, more effective footballers. The issue on the field tonight for me stank of a team lacking in leadership presence.

I couldn't give a shit what the media says, and I really hope the club doesn't.

bornadog
18-05-2013, 09:20 PM
I am embarrassed with this insipid performance

Dancin' Douggy
18-05-2013, 09:27 PM
OK. So why are we so bad.
Is it the coach?
Is it the list?

It's kind of hard on woof to target players and each individual player on our list may not deserve too much criticism.

I love all the following players. Boyd, Cross, Wallis (I know he didn't play today), Smith, Liberatore, Picken and even the new boy Lower.

But a team with all of them in is simply not going anywhere.

Scorlibo
18-05-2013, 09:59 PM
I love all the following players. Boyd, Cross, Wallis (I know he didn't play today), Smith, Liberatore, Picken and even the new boy Lower.

But a team with all of them in is simply not going anywhere.

I tend to agree. Perhaps the Coach needs to reserve some places in our midfield for the good running and delivering players and say, "there are limited places for the ball winners, whoever performs worst each week for the seniors makes way for the best performer at Williamstown".

A lot on here are calling for Boyd and Cross to be omitted every week. I thought Boydy was particularly poor today, but he's not that bad every week. As for Cross, every week I applaud some of his efforts, he is an intelligent user of the ball, has the best awareness at the club, I very rarely see Cross go into a contest and stuff things up. He has his limitations, but honestly if he is our worst then things must be much rosier than the scoreline and the general ill feeling suggests.

Mantis
18-05-2013, 10:06 PM
I tend to agree. Perhaps the Coach needs to reserve some places in our midfield for the good running and delivering players and say, "there are limited places for the ball winners, whoever performs worst each week for the seniors makes way for the best performer at Williamstown".

Who on our list fits into this category?

Remi Moses
18-05-2013, 10:08 PM
There is some great insightful stuff on here .
Kudos

Scorlibo
18-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Who on our list fits into this category?

Murphy, Macrae, Cooney, Johannisen, Dahlhaus, Vezspremi, Tutt, Pearce, Hrovat (?), Wood (injured), Higgins (injured). I think Cooney and Dahlhaus need to play as much through the middle as is possible, Murphy needs to be put behind the ball a bit more often, Macrae also should play as much as possible without ruining him, Tutt needs to play.

Remi Moses
18-05-2013, 10:28 PM
Good Running, Vezspremi ? He gets exhausted thinking about running.

Greystache
18-05-2013, 10:52 PM

And Wood is about as good a user of the ball as Howard.

FrediKanoute
18-05-2013, 11:50 PM
I buy the rebuild. I buy the strategy to develop a game whihc doesn't come unstuck in finals. I accept that things take time and getting games into the young guys is important. What I can't accept and wont excuse is losing to and not being competitive against sides that we are around where we are. GCFC is a developing club, same as us and whilst they have had a wonderful leg up with draft picks and players they remain a side we should be capable of beating or at the very least getting within 5 goals of.

Macca has to give the supporters something more than what is currently being dished up. I doubt anyone expected us to challenge for the finals this season, but I am pretty certain we all pencilled in at least 4 wins - GCFC, GWS and Melbourne x2. Whilst on field things have been encouraging at times, the fact remains that the club has won one game in the last 12 months. Regardless of the long term strategy, these short term results cannot continue to be sustained.

Something is wrong. Either the Macca's message is wrong and doesn't hold up to footy today; or Macca's delivery is such that it isn't getting through to the players; or the players are just not buying into the strategy. This needs to be addressed, because peoples patience is wearing thin. Without knowing what the problem is specifically its hard to throw up solutions, but the obvious thing is that the shuffling of the deckchairs (ie players) each week is not working.

For mine, Garlick and Gordon should be hauling the football department over the coals with the start we have had. This loss needs to be the catalyst for action/pressure to be brought to bear. Personaly I would like to see an experienced coach brought into the fold (say Roos, Matthews) who have built premiership teams to assess what is missing in the Bulldogs set up and provide guidance for an inexperienced person like Macca.

No point holding a review at the end of the season, as it will be another 12 months before the changes are implemented. Also I don't think Macca is on the wrong track, just the approach needs some tweaking and some outside person to objectively give him some feedback on what he is doing.

Remi Moses
18-05-2013, 11:58 PM
The one thing that surprised me was that they didn't employ a senior assistant ( like Alan Richardson) to begin with. It's such an inexperienced group that it would have been beneficial to have some senior tactical nous in the box.

bulldogtragic
19-05-2013, 12:02 AM
I buy the rebuild. I buy the strategy to develop a game whihc doesn't come unstuck in finals. I accept that things take time and getting games into the young guys is important. What I can't accept and wont excuse is losing to and not being competitive against sides that we are around where we are. GCFC is a developing club, same as us and whilst they have had a wonderful leg up with draft picks and players they remain a side we should be capable of beating or at the very least getting within 5 goals of.

Macca has to give the supporters something more than what is currently being dished up. I doubt anyone expected us to challenge for the finals this season, but I am pretty certain we all pencilled in at least 4 wins - GCFC, GWS and Melbourne x2. Whilst on field things have been encouraging at times, the fact remains that the club has won one game in the last 12 months. Regardless of the long term strategy, these short term results cannot continue to be sustained.

Something is wrong. Either the Macca's message is wrong and doesn't hold up to footy today; or Macca's delivery is such that it isn't getting through to the players; or the players are just not buying into the strategy. This needs to be addressed, because peoples patience is wearing thin. Without knowing what the problem is specifically its hard to throw up solutions, but the obvious thing is that the shuffling of the deckchairs (ie players) each week is not working.

For mine, Garlick and Gordon should be hauling the football department over the coals with the start we have had. This loss needs to be the catalyst for action/pressure to be brought to bear. Personaly I would like to see an experienced coach brought into the fold (say Roos, Matthews) who have built premiership teams to assess what is missing in the Bulldogs set up and provide guidance for an inexperienced person like Macca.

No point holding a review at the end of the season, as it will be another 12 months before the changes are implemented. Also I don't think Macca is on the wrong track, just the approach needs some tweaking and some outside person to objectively give him some feedback on what he is doing.
Bravo Fredi, bravo.

Scorlibo
19-05-2013, 12:11 AM

He has pace. I'm not suggesting that he's the one that should be played, but he's of that player type.

And Wood is about as good a user of the ball as Howard.

He breaks lines and kicks long.

boydogs
19-05-2013, 02:08 AM
This needs to be addressed, because peoples patience is wearing thin.

It takes time Fredi, you don't achieve success by reacting to people with short fuses. The kids need stability and a consistent message to learn their craft.

Pickenitup
19-05-2013, 10:02 AM
To me there seems to be something seriously wrong with Matthew Boyd.
Does not look interested maybe he is carrying a injury or maybe off field problems
may be affecting him but looks a shadow of himself.

LostDoggy
19-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Commentary said he looks injured last night to

G-Mo77
19-05-2013, 10:52 AM
I thought the same thing last week.

bornadog
19-05-2013, 11:19 AM
To me there seems to be something seriously wrong with Matthew Boyd.
Does not look interested maybe he is carrying a injury or maybe off field problems
may be affecting him but looks a shadow of himself.

Maybe he is carrying an injury and needs a break this week.

DOG GOD
19-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Regarding Boyd, he was never quick, so maybe it's just a fact that the game is quickly passing him by.

Maddog37
19-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Maybe there is a disconnect between the coach and the captain. I know that is scurrilous to a degree but something stinks.

SlimPickens
19-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Maybe there is a disconnect between the coach and the captain. I know that is scurrilous to a degree but something stinks.

Yep, Boyd's ability to play a team game of football.