PDA

View Full Version : Fitzroys last days - Melbournes de ja vu?

bulldogtragic
14-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Senior players and serious talent leaving.
Recruiting has beens or never was'.
Years of constant losses and failures.
Big losing margins.
Not being able to rebuild with many high draft picks.
Coaches rotating out.
Off field senior positions changing frequently.
Poor crowds.
Million PLUS operating losses.
Low sponsorship.
Etc, etc, etc.

Is it just me, or is the Dees position a lot worse than 16 out of 17 losses. Seems like de ja vu to me. But would the AFL prop them up or support a merge?? That is the question

LostDoggy
14-05-2013, 01:54 PM
S***, that rings a bell about the team i barrack for.

craigsahibee
14-05-2013, 03:13 PM
AFL needs 18 teams to fulfill it's contractual obligations to the host broadcasters.

AFL sponsored relocation may be an option but Melbourne would have to suffer consecutive years of on field and off field losses before this would be considered. Apart from their budgeted loss this year, they are not in too bad a shape financially considering the debt reduction program Stynes led a few years back. It does only take 2 - 3 bad fiscal years for the debt to mount up again and put some pressure back on the board.

LostDoggy
14-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Melbourne being one of the world's oldest sporting clubs also won't help the AFL if it decides they have to relocate or merge. It won't save them though.

They can keep their players and their coach — they need a clean-out of the administration first.

westdog54
14-05-2013, 05:52 PM
Melbourne being one of the world's oldest sporting clubs also won't help the AFL if it decides they have to relocate or merge. It won't save them though.

They can keep their players and their coach — they need a clean-out of the administration first.

I would want any bailout contingent on this. Anyone other than Peter Jackson is fair game right now.

Greystache
14-05-2013, 06:29 PM
I would want any bailout contingent on this. Anyone other than Peter Jackson is fair game right now.

It's interesting that the AFL has sent Peter Jackson to both Melbourne and us in recent seasons. He's slammed Melbourne as being a rabble, yet he gave us a strong endorsement and even stayed on to get involved in a couple of initiatives. Probably just shows how difficult an environment we work in.

Hotdog60
14-05-2013, 06:40 PM
I can't see Melbourne folding or merging purely on history and the very name of the club. If it was another suburb than it would be different.

AFL strong point is Victoria the capital is Melbourne and I think the AFL would like to keep that purity, so I think they would go to big lengths to make sure they survive.

LostDoggy
14-05-2013, 07:06 PM
I can't see Melbourne folding or merging purely on history and the very name of the club. If it was another suburb than it would be different.

AFL strong point is Victoria the capital is Melbourne and I think the AFL would like to keep that purity, so I think they would go to big lengths to make sure they survive.

I agree, but the question then arises: Is this somewhat-false sense of security a good thing or a bad thing? I think Melbourne's "proud old club" sentiment isn't exactly helping them become a modern, professional sporting organisation.

Ghost Dog
14-05-2013, 08:02 PM
I agree, but the question then arises: Is this somewhat-false sense of security a good thing or a bad thing? I think Melbourne's "proud old club" sentiment isn't exactly helping them become a modern, professional sporting organisation.

Well said BAS. Their logo / image is s***.

LostDoggy
15-05-2013, 04:41 AM
S***, that rings a bell about the team i barrack for.

I laughed when I read this cause I was thinking the same.
But then I stopped laughing because I realized, we are the same!

LostDoggy
15-05-2013, 07:34 AM
From my recollection of 1996, we were running right along Fitzroy and just barely dodged the bullet ourselves. As a result, I've always been very respectful to ex-Roy-Boy Lions fans when we've beaten them. Could've been us.

Of course, I was only 14 then and many of the finer details escape me. Oldies: were we really at close?

I do remember us turning it around in 1997 though.

P.S. Sorry to mention 1997 :)

Ghost Dog
15-05-2013, 08:39 AM
The VFL had stamped our papers. It was a done deal. Only a technicality saved us.

Sedat
15-05-2013, 09:54 AM
From my recollection of 1996, we were running right along Fitzroy and just barely dodged the bullet ourselves. As a result, I've always been very respectful to ex-Roy-Boy Lions fans when we've beaten them. Could've been us.

Of course, I was only 14 then and many of the finer details escape me. Oldies: were we really at close?

I do remember us turning it around in 1997 though.

P.S. Sorry to mention 1997 :)
In 1989 we actually had no footy team to support for 3 days. The then VFL commission had formally accepted the merger between Fitzroy and Footscray (after bullying the Bulldogs administration to accept the merger, which was more of a takeover) and we ceased to exist. Only a Supreme Court injunction by Irene Chatfield, which bought the club 3 weeks to raise the (from memory) $1.5m needed to keep the club afloat, kept the club alive.

In 1996 we were in trouble because we had something like 25 players out of contract - awesome list management there. Once Chris Grant signed to stay on the rest followed suit - we would have been in deep trouble if Granty had accepted the lucrative offer from Port at the time, and that is why Chris Grant will always be revered by the Bulldogs faithful. Of course 1997 ended horribly but the season was one long thrilling ride (up until halfway through the last qtr of the prelim at least) after we endured such a shocking 1996 season.

bornadog
15-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Only a Supreme Court injunction by Irene Chatfield, which bought the club 3 weeks to raise the (from memory) $1.5m needed to keep the club afloat, kept the club alive. .

Set up by Peter Gordon and instigated the Save The Dogs Committee and raised the funds.

PedroArvy
15-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Well I was one of those final Fitzroy fans. At the merger talks with Brisbane at the Fitzroy Townhall I was there yelling and screaming. No way I'd follow Brisbane, it wasn't a merger, it was a take over as the fans wishes of a merger with North weren't followed and the AFL did what it wanted as it could.

So then I decided to follow the Dogs as they seemed in a similar position to Fitzroy!

The thought of the Dogs merging with Melbourne has crossed my mind actually.

Murphy'sLore
15-05-2013, 03:01 PM
The thought of the Dogs merging with Melbourne has crossed my mind actually.

Talk about a mixed marriage -- I can't imagine it. From opposite ends of the class and culture spectrum. Man, that would be weird.

bulldogtragic
15-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Worse yet, the Melbourne Bulldogs still wouldn't crack 20,000 for most home games. And worse again, the depth at both clubs is that shallow I wouldn't see them cracking a Bisbane style premiership era.

God I never hope that happens. I'd follow Hawthorn in support of my wife. I don't want that!

Greystache
15-05-2013, 03:35 PM
And when the cycle turns and the Bulldogs and Melbourne are challenging, Norf and St Kilda will be bottom and they'll be on the media merger agenda.

It's just the same old reactionary media we see these days trying to fill column inches. Written today, forgotten in 6 months, contradicted in 2 years.

2 years ago Norf had to be relocated- They had no money, no players, and management in crisis... They get a dream fixture, stumble into 8th, get a finals flogging, but they're ok now because they're playing finals :rolleyes:

PedroArvy
15-05-2013, 04:14 PM
How about Melbourne, North and the Bulldogs merging? At least we'd get Majak back!

bornadog
15-05-2013, 04:25 PM
How about Melbourne, North and the Bulldogs merging? At least we'd get Majak back!

Never

PedroArvy
15-05-2013, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this is on the agenda somewhere in the AFL, how can all these small clubs with huge debts and dwindling supporters survive and be competitive i.e. win flags.

Eventually you end up in a Fitzroy (Melbourne?) like spiral plummeting towards your doom.

bornadog
15-05-2013, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this is on the agenda somewhere in the AFL, how can all these small clubs with huge debts and dwindling supporters survive and be competitive i.e. win flags.

Eventually you end up in a Fitzroy (Melbourne?) like spiral plummeting towards your doom.

With Peter Gordon at the helm, I am confident we won't be on the down wide spiral.

One advantage we have had is we are the club representing the Western Region of Melbourne, one of the fastest growing regions in Australia and with over 500,000 people.

Remi Moses
15-05-2013, 05:25 PM
And when the cycle turns and the Bulldogs and Melbourne are challenging, Norf and St Kilda will be bottom and they'll be on the media merger agenda.

It's just the same old reactionary media we see these days trying to fill column inches. Written today, forgotten in 6 months, contradicted in 2 years.

2 years ago Norf had to be relocated- They had no money, no players, and management in crisis... They get a dream fixture, stumble into 8th, get a finals flogging, but they're ok now because they're playing finals :rolleyes:

I won't put This^^. But I will say here here.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Watching Melbourne against the Dockers now is dead set the same as when the Roy's were is their dying days. Must be all kinds of agony following them ATM.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2013, 08:09 PM
90 odd points again.

I wonder what Vlad is going to do. This is hurting the code.

Remi Moses
26-05-2013, 08:17 PM
90 odd points again.

I wonder what Vlad is going to do. This is hurting the code.

Makes a mockery of The Stan Alves view that the dees are in a better position than us!:eek:
Actually like Stan's views generally

bulldogtragic
10-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Makes a mockery of The Stan Alves view that the dees are in a better position than us!:eek:
Actually like Stan's views generally
I wonder what Stan thinks now....

Just like the Roy boys.

bornadog
10-06-2013, 09:59 PM
You know I really don't care. I am only worried about us who have won 8 of the last 24 games.

The Underdog
10-06-2013, 10:14 PM
I wonder what Stan thinks now....

Just like the Roy boys.

It's really not. Certainly they are getting beaten severely week after week but Fitzroy lost their champions because they couldn't pay them, had no home or facilities and couldn't get sponsors. They certainly didn't have a league that was invested in keeping them alive. They are in a far better position than Fitzroy on every level.

LostDoggy
11-06-2013, 09:53 AM

How about we merge Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, Essendon, North, Melbourne, Hawthorn, St Kilda and the Bulldogs into one team, call it the Melbourne Mongrels and never lose another game for the next 50 years.

Bulldog4life
11-06-2013, 07:48 PM
You know I really don't care. I am only worried about us who have won 8 of the last 24 games.

Or you can look at it more favourably....we have won 2 in a row. :)

bulldogtragic
14-06-2013, 06:18 PM
2013:

CEO sacked
Coach about to be sacked
Awful playing list
Massive $500,000 fine for tanking
Massive losses on and off the field
Crowds at crisis point
Rebuilding the rebuild which needs to be rebuilt

AND

TODAY President McLardy quits
TODAY the anointed future president resigns from the board
TODAY the stand in President refuses to endorse the coach for the season
TODAY MFC take cap in hand to AFL for EMERGENCY funding
TODAY MFC make strong demands to the AFL for priority picks before the season has ended, despite being guilty of tanking...

Is shambolic the most apt word. Or crisis...

What is the AFL to do???

lemmon
14-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Surely they can't be given PPs after the tanking fiasco? They bite the hand that feeds them and then scratch at the door again for dinner? Pathetic

bulldogtragic
15-06-2013, 12:17 AM
Surely they can't be given PPs after the tanking fiasco? They bite the hand that feeds them and then scratch at the door again for dinner? Pathetic
Plus the $500,000 tanking fine, then they ask the AFL for it back plus an additional $2,500,000 interest.

Makes a mockery of everything.

Remi Moses
15-06-2013, 03:45 PM
They SHOULD NOT get priority picks .
A) looks farcical as they've been punished for playing for draft picks
B) Their biggest issue is poor development and coaching of players they've drafted.

bulldogtragic
17-06-2013, 02:45 PM
2013:

CEO sacked
Coach about to be sacked
Awful playing list
Massive $500,000 fine for tanking
Massive losses on and off the field
Crowds at crisis point
Rebuilding the rebuild which needs to be rebuilt

AND

TODAY President McLardy quits
TODAY the anointed future president resigns from the board
TODAY the stand in President refuses to endorse the coach for the season
TODAY MFC take cap in hand to AFL for EMERGENCY funding
TODAY MFC make strong demands to the AFL for priority picks before the season has ended, despite being guilty of tanking...

Is shambolic the most apt word. Or crisis...

What is the AFL to do???
And now Neeld is gone, not doubt after the AFL refunded the tanking fine.

When will things bottom out?

The Underdog
17-06-2013, 03:04 PM
And now Neeld is gone, not doubt after the AFL refunded the tanking fine.

When will things bottom out?

When they appoint Alan McConnell as coach.

Seriously the AFL are about to give them a ton of cash, they'll be ok in the long run.

1eyedog
17-06-2013, 05:20 PM
With Peter Gordon at the helm, I am confident we won't be on the down wide spiral.

One advantage we have had is we are the club representing the Western Region of Melbourne, one of the fastest growing regions in Australia and with over 500,000 people.

BAD we changed our name 17 years ago to take advantage of this and we are still in a similar membership position as we were then, all things being equal. Population increases are not good drivers for a rise in memberships. Many of the new residents in the west are either Immigrants with no interest or knowledge of AFL or families who are taking up house and land packages throughout the Wyndham, Tarneit, Point Cook etc. areas. Most come from areas outside the West (I believe there are a heap of sales in these areas from Geelong residents who work in Melbourne) and already support AFL teams.

LostDoggy
17-06-2013, 10:01 PM
BAD we changed our name 17 years ago to take advantage of this and we are still in a similar membership position as we were then, all things being equal. Population increases are not good drivers for a rise in memberships. Many of the new residents in the west are either Immigrants with no interest or knowledge of AFL or families who are taking up house and land packages throughout the Wyndham, Tarneit, Point Cook etc. areas. Most come from areas outside the West (I believe there are a heap of sales in these areas from Geelong residents who work in Melbourne) and already support AFL teams.

I agree that relying on the western suburbs thing doesn't work and we'd be far better off recruiting fans via the following channels:

Winning games and finals
Increased media coverage
More blockbuster games
More money to spend on marketing in general
Bigger sponsorship dollars

None of those things are realistically in our immediate reach. Our region is something we don't need to pay for, and is “lower hanging fruit” to pick until we can start hitting some of those other areas above.

It may not be the best advantage, but it's better than nothing, in other words.

1eyedog
17-06-2013, 10:23 PM
I agree that relying on the western suburbs thing doesn't work and we'd be far better off recruiting fans via the following channels:

Winning games and finals
Increased media coverage
More blockbuster games
More money to spend on marketing in general
Bigger sponsorship dollars

None of those things are realistically in our immediate reach. Our region is something we don't need to pay for, and is “lower hanging fruit” to pick until we can start hitting some of those other areas above.

It may not be the best advantage, but it's better than nothing, in other words.

Agreed. But how about selling the farm to recruit a superstar and see if that impacts on membership sales. Didn't someone post on here that memberships went up 5500 when we recruited Aker? Finals don't get you anywhere, even Grand Finals, look a North. I know they have a much more closed region to work with but gee, Carey and premierships and still in strife a few years later. The only way to get all those things you've listed above is to get a bigger membership base. We need to put bums on seats. Majak Daw may end up selling North 10,000 extra members if he goes on and becomes a good player, Jong may eventually do the same for us.

We need a good, maybe two really good players in their prime, not at the end of their careers.