PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Bulldogs, est. 2013

bulldogtragic
16-05-2013, 04:17 PM
I was thinking about some responses from another thread about Fitzroy and Melbournes situations. At the end I will ask three questions.

Hypothetical: it's only a hypothetical.

AFL pushes for a merge between Melbourne and the Bulldogs, and it occurs at years end...

The new names is Melbourne Bulldogs
The jumper is the bulldogs design, but Melbournes shade of red and blue
The song is Melbournes
Five home games at the G, six at Ethihad (new deal at Ethihad)
No interstate home games
List management merge by consensus of footy departments
2013, 2014, and 2015 draft priority picks before the first and second rounds (picks 1 & 19)
10 percent increase in the salary cap
5 million dollar bailout of clubs debt
Stand alone VFL team called Western Bulldogs
Footy department and leadership filled by current bulldog appointees
Coach to be appointed by new management
Training base at Whitten Oval

Question one: Would you follow the new merged club?

Question two: If yes, why? If no, why?

Question three: Who would you follow if not the new club?

lemmon
16-05-2013, 04:21 PM
No.
Its not us.
The Victorian Bushrangers, would be done with footy.

G-Mo77
16-05-2013, 04:27 PM
[Add word here] Off!

LostDoggy
16-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Nothing personal but the thread should be deleted. It might give Vlad ideas :(

chef
16-05-2013, 04:29 PM
No, well not at first. Hard to say if it would grow on me.

I'd be done with AFL as well probably and just focus on Chelsea and soccer.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Nothing personal but the thread should be deleted. It might give Vlad ideas :(
Maybe this is Vlad, hacking BT's woof account for market testing. :)

But seriously, as far as very bad suggestions go, I could just possibly live with this. I wouldn't be anything near happy though. It might be the closest I would ever get to a premiership for the bulldogs...

Remi Moses
16-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Lose your identity and you lose your sole.
End for me.

Remi Moses
16-05-2013, 05:17 PM
Two poor years and we're talking hypothetical merges.
This is Big Footy Silliness

Scraggers
16-05-2013, 05:30 PM
No

No, I am a Footscray Bulldog and a Western Bulldog ... to follow the Melbourne Bulldogs, Darwin Dogs or any other combination you want to throw in, would destroy the identity (and history) of the club I support; therefore i would no longer follow.

No one ... I would be an AFL watcher, but not a supporter.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Whoaaa. No need to use the BF card. Easy...

The question is not based on us, on or off the field. The origin of the question is that Melbourne are on their knees and a merge is not completely inconceivable. If you accept that premise then who could be a suitable partner. Thus, a hypothetical question is raised. It's not BF crap if the question is treated on its merits and posters aren't immature or sensationalistic. So far, so good.

Remi Moses
16-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Fair Enough.

craigsahibee
16-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Not even considering this.

Dry Rot
16-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Whoaaa. No need to use the BF card. Easy...

The question is not based on us, on or off the field. The origin of the question is that Melbourne are on their knees and a merge is not completely inconceivable. If you accept that premise then who could be a suitable partner. Thus, a hypothetical question is raised. It's not BF crap if the question is treated on its merits and posters aren't immature or sensationalistic. So far, so good.

Agreed. The OP is interesting in that Melbourne is creating a real big problem for the AFL.

I was thinking about this other day and thought they may consider merging the Dees with the Roos.

G-Mo77
16-05-2013, 05:50 PM
In 1989 I was 12, it took me about 7 - 8 months to raise $20 from pocket money which my Mother was generous enough to give me and my 2 brothers on her part time wage when the time came to raise money for this club that I support now I gave it all to them. I bleed Red, White and Blue and I'll die a Bulldog supporter, club, no club or merged plastic trash.

Mods can we wrap this rubbish up please. I've never been more angered on a post in here since I signed up. With our history and for what we'd fought for to even suggest this as a hypothetical scenario debating point is pathetic.

Mofra
16-05-2013, 05:51 PM
No, I'd take a passing interest but certainly wouldn't support the new team with memberships or attend games.

If there would still be a VFL side from Whitten Oval I'd support that, otherwise I'd support Williamstown as a stand alone club.

I'd get alot more free time as I'm not playing football next year either.

bornadog
16-05-2013, 06:10 PM
In 1989 I was 12, it took me about 7 - 8 months to raise $20 from pocket money which my Mother was generous enough to give me and my 2 brothers on her part time wage when the time came to raise money for this club that I support now I gave it all to them. I bleed Red, White and Blue and I'll die a Bulldog supporter, club, no club or merged plastic trash.

Mods can we wrap this rubbish up please. I've never been more angered on a post in here since I signed up. With our history and for what we'd fought for to even suggest this as a hypothetical scenario debating point is pathetic.

THIS ^^^^

Thread closed please.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Read post 10.

This is not about us per se, more so Melbourne and what the AFL might do in response. No one is suggesting we are in the gun. No one wants to see us affected in any way whatso bloody ever.

I love the passion for the club, that's i guess the question is trying to emote. I don't know how closing the thread makes one iota of difference. But if the issue of what the AFL could, would or should not do with Melbourne including merges causes offence, than I apologise.

SlimPickens
16-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Get rid of this absolute tripe. Sorry BT not even a discussion point for mine.

bulldogtragic
16-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Geez if this I the response of a no basis hypothetical based on another clubs predicament, god help the AFL if they ever made a move... :) Which is a great thing to know! I can see the merge vlad into outer space stickers now :)

as for the thread, there's freedom of speech and freedom of speech only when you agree...

Hotdog60
16-05-2013, 06:33 PM
No

No, I am a Footscray Bulldog and a Western Bulldog ... to follow the Melbourne Bulldogs, Darwin Dogs or any other combination you want to throw in, would destroy the identity (and history) of the club I support; therefore i would no longer follow.

No one ... The AFL would be dead to me.

Sorry for pinching your words Scraggers but I echo your thoughts.

chef
16-05-2013, 06:35 PM
as for the thread, there's freedom of speech and freedom of speech only when you agree...

Yep, if you don't like the thread ignore it.

Greystache
16-05-2013, 06:37 PM
The whole concept of merging everyone is an outdated line of thinking, the league runs on money and the reality is more clubs = more $$$. It seems that cretin Wayne Jackson was the only businessman in history that thought the way to become more successful is to reduce your size. Although he did pronounce our name as Westa Buwdog, so he was hardly a genius.

Demetiou has made it pretty clear if a club is on death's door they'll look to relocate them to a developing market, it's a lot cheaper and quicker than starting from scratch, and the club will immediately have a following even if it's a reduced one. Tasmanian Demons is more likely.

LostDoggy
16-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Question 1: no
Question 2: We fought too hard to save our club in the bad old days, it wouldn't be the dogs it would be a soulless hybrid of a team.
Question 3: Aspley in the aflq, would never support another team in the afl.

AndrewP6
16-05-2013, 07:05 PM
Wow. I'll post later on my thoughts (I'm going out for dinner), just wanted to say this talk of closing the thread is as nonsensical as I've seen in a long while. Whether you agree or disagree (and either is fine), Bulldogtragic is entitled to his (I'm guessing here!) opinion, and is entitled to pose hypothetical questions! Ease up people...

Bulldog4life
16-05-2013, 07:41 PM

Agree. Crazy thread,

Maddog37
16-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Sheesh, lighten up folks.

As for the question at hand, no way would I follow. AFL would be dead to me.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2013, 07:54 PM
What do we need them for?
Slap in the face to all the supporters who got us over the line last time, when the VFL wanted us to shut shop.

The Pie Man
16-05-2013, 07:56 PM
I get the anger, so please don't be offended with my minor contribution (and since it's never gonna happen)

I'm comfortable that city hall is supportive of our future...the western corridor of Melbourne is too important to them to leave us in the cold.

What if - and remember I don't want this, it's just a thought given the topic - it was called the West Melbourne Bulldogs?

I'd be dead against it, but I remember feeling pretty weird about our name change late 96 too.

Eastdog
16-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Agree. Crazy thread,

Agree with you and Remi as well. Bulldogtragic has the right to have an opinion but I don't agree with it.

anfo27
16-05-2013, 08:57 PM

Love your passion G-Mo77.

Ghost Dog
16-05-2013, 09:09 PM
I agree. Absolute crackers this idea ( not cracking in, just plain crackers ) but the beauty of the internet is you can use it to explore ideas and then toss them in the bin later, having a good laugh at yourself.

Gm-077 I salute your passion! BTragic, I salute your wild crazy imagination. Viva la woof.net.au

Dancin' Douggy
16-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Get rid of this absolute tripe. Sorry BT not even a discussion point for mine.

Have to agree with this post.

LostDoggy
16-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Wouldn't happen. We are making inroads to become better financially, not to mention our own VFL team

bulldogtragic
16-05-2013, 10:08 PM
I agree. Absolute crackers this idea ( not cracking in, just plain crackers ) but the beauty of the internet is you can use it to explore ideas and then toss them in the bin later, having a good laugh at yourself.

Gm-077 I salute your passion! BTragic, I salute your wild crazy imagination. Viva la woof.net.au
Thanks GD :)

AndrewP6
16-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Not sure. I don't think I would, but as a basketball fan and having several of 'my' teams go under (Sth East Melbourne Magic, anyone?), I did follow the new teams.

Maybe I'd 'follow', but with less interest. It would mean a big lifestyle hange, not having a team to watch every weekend. I don't see myself going to games as a neutral supporter.

No one, jut can't envisage swapping to a side I've barracked against.

SonofScray
16-05-2013, 11:22 PM
No. I am a Footscray fan and nothing else. That changes and the game is dead to me.

PedroArvy
16-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Being a Fitzroy supporter who joined the Dogs, I warn you to never say never!

However it would depend on what the people running the Dogs said. If there was a recommendation as to why it made financial sense it would be treated a lot differently to a take over.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Nope.

I'd be done with the AFL, wouldn't watch another game.

LostDoggy
17-05-2013, 01:28 AM
Question 3: Aspley in the aflq,

My Kids gave Aspley a bath in the U10s last weekend.:p

immortalmike
17-05-2013, 01:47 AM
I'm still not quite over the name change so what do you think?
Football would lose a supporter if this were to happen.

whythelongface
17-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Interesting hypothetical BT.

Initially my thoughts would be No, however if for some reason this did happen I would obviously need to think long and hard about it. There would be no way I could support the club with the same passion.

I struggle to see how South Melbourne and Fitzroy supporters have any passion for Sydney and Brisbane.

It just wouldn't be the same. My level of interest in the sport would wane. even though I am not from Melbourne, let alone Footscray I have felt a strong affiliation with this football ever since I started supporting them as a kid in 1982/83. The funny thing is that this affiliation has nothing to do with me living in the suburb or surrounds of Footscray but more to do with initially supporting a club and sticking with them through thick or thin. My friends don't understand my love for FFC, or as they know them as the Western Bulldogs, as I am not and have never lived in Melbourne. Passion for a team is a funny thing that no one can describe. It is different for every individual. That is what makes it special. I couldn't support another team with nowhere near this level of passion, committment or desire, call it what you will.

Queens Park Rangers and Feyenoord Rotterdam.

westdog54
17-05-2013, 01:17 PM
First things first, as a Moderator I flat out refuse to delete this thread. This is a discussion forum and contributions are entirely voluntary. BT has raised a hypothetical that could realistically be presented before us. The responses I believe are a good gauge of the thoughts of the supporter base of the club and this thread, if anything, is a reminder that 'City Hall' firmly runs the show on these matters.

As for my responses"

1. Absolutely not

2. Having been on the 'other end' of merger discussions in our history, I couldn't bring myself to support a club that had swallowed another club whole. It would go against everything I've ever believed about football clubs.

3. I'd pour my football energy into my Supercoach team. Possibly even follow a few friends I have on here and support Port Melbourne in the VFL.

LostDoggy
17-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Interesting hypothetical BT.

Queens Park Rangers and Feyenoord Rotterdam.

Already with you on that one. although lately I feel I cant take a break with sides I support. My wife calls me the "cooler". I can switch on the bulldogs on tv, even if they are well ahead things somehow go backwards.

w3design
17-05-2013, 05:49 PM
First off BT, congratulations on having the courage to throw up a topic you knew would raise hackles, and inflame passions.

On a personal level I am in principal against mergers, or moves elsewhere, ever being forced on any teams.

Were a merger or move the absolute only option to save any club, that is probably preferable to disappearing all together, as has happened so often for many clubs in the past in various competitions.

Now were Melbourne in such a parlous position, for mine, I would have thought that Nth. Melb. rather than Footscray would be the logical alignment. If we were also at risk at this hypothetical stage, perhaps an arrangement where by we got the pick of the best of the playing list that could not be fitted into the merged Melb./Kangaroo's list. Thus making two potentially strong entities out of three weak/at risk clubs.

The other advantage for the League from such a move would be the freeing up of a licence for a Tasmanian or Nth. T'ry. team, to bring the numbers back to even and continuing the nationalization of the competition.

Now, back to the hypothetical, and it's associated Q's.
No, as some one said, you should perhaps never say never, but I can't imagine myself following a Melb./Dogs team. And if I did work up some level of interest, I cannot imagine ever becoming a member , or undergoing all the travel I do now to attend games etc.

I too would possibly follow a VFL team for preference, or even increase my interest in alternate sports. Love watching Hurling when you can get to see a game, or even soccer matches where Liverpool is involved.

Dancin' Douggy
17-05-2013, 08:14 PM
this is a 'Sophie's Choice' thread.

To even consider it is too painful.

If you don't know what Sophie's choice was....... look it up.

GVGjr
17-05-2013, 09:03 PM
I don't understand the motivation behind this thread but a merger is not something I would support. I'd stop attending AFL games and probably VFL games as well and just go and have a look at the TAC.

LostDoggy
17-05-2013, 09:09 PM
I was seven in 1989. I spent the whole time crying that the Bulldogs were going to die. I remember the times vividly, 23 years later.

The anger towards the thread really sums it up for me — we all fought tooth and nail for this club. Melbourne fans might sign the sheet, but I'd never speak again to a Dog who did.

We fight or we die. We don't merge. We established that two decades ago.

Ghost Dog
18-05-2013, 09:03 AM
First things first, as a Moderator I flat out refuse to delete this thread. .

Good on you westdog.
I'd probably ditch AFL altogether if this happened. Some kind of peverse enjoyment about being a Bulldogs fan.

Sedat
19-05-2013, 12:13 AM
A merger creates a separate identity - it automatically stops being the Bulldogs. Also how can we merge with another entity that has been a sworn enemy that we've spilled blood against?

A relocated club would still be our club 100%, with our undiluted history intact. If forced to choose between merging and relocating, the latter is the only remotely palatable scenario for me.