PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs release members code of conduct

bornadog
17-05-2013, 05:29 PM
MjD3MZ-mDaw

The Western Bulldogs have today released a draft ‘Members Code of Conduct’ for the consideration of the Bulldog faithful.

As a Club that prides itself on celebrating diversity and also promoting a positive experience for our Members and Fans and their families – the Bulldogs have developed the code to proactively highlight an area we think our supporters and stakeholders will embrace.

On releasing the draft code on westernbulldogs.com today, President Peter Gordon told Bulldogs TV that after the reported racial incident during our clash against North Melbourne, he spent an anxious 24 hours waiting to find out whether Bulldog Members or fans were involved.

“I felt awkward about that too, because in one sense, it doesn’t matter what colours were worn by the people may have been involved in this conduct. That fact that it happened at all demeans all of us and demeans our game. So we need to use this event as an opportunity to lift our standards,” Gordon told Bulldogs TV.

“So, I’ll confess I was relieved to find out that the people alleged to have conducted themselves in this way were not bulldog members, but I’m not kidding myself that it could not have been Bulldog members or indeed that such an event might not involve Bulldogs Members sometime in the future.

“Our fans, like every other clubs’ fans are a mix of people of different backgrounds, different beliefs and different cultures. We more than most celebrate our differences and our diversity reflective of our heartland – and we’re proud of it.

“For this reason we think it’s time we made it expressly clear that being a part of our club, being a Bulldogs Member also has its obligations.”

The Club today published a draft ‘Members Code of Conduct’ on westernbulldogs.com so Members could have the opportunity to have their say as to whether we should have one and what it should say.

“We don’t want to discourage freedom of speech. We think in particular that the sort of funny, good natured larrikinism that’s been part of being in the outer of AFL and before that VFL games for decades is part of the really rich culture of Australian Football and we don’t want to discourage that,” Gordon said.

“But there is a line that shouldn’t get crossed and we want, at this point, to make it clear that we expect our members not to cross that line.

“We want to make it clear that we all expect members to know about that line and to keep it in mind that all of us, in this digital age of the 24 hour news cycle, represent the club in some way...and have an obligation not to let it down."

Gordon encouraged members to have a look at the draft code and to provide feedback and thoughts.

“The Board will take them into account when deciding whether to implement such a code on your behalf as members…”

DRAFT WESTERN BULLDOGS MEMBERS CODE OF CONDUCT

As Western Bulldogs Members we will abide by the values and the fundamental principles of our Club and specifically;

1.) While at Western Bulldogs games and events, we will not engage in conduct that could bring the Club or Australian rules football into disrepute.

2.) In any forum including in the media, where we are acting as a Western Bulldogs Member or identifiable as a Bulldogs Member, we will not engage in conduct that could bring the Club or Australian rules football into disrepute.

3.) We will not engage in nor endorse any form of vilification on the basis of race, colour, gender, religion or sexuality.

4.) We will conduct ourselves as Members in ways which contribute to Western Bulldogs events being family-friendly enjoyable experiences for all who attend - this means refraining from engaging in disruptive behaviour, including foul or abusive language or obscene gestures.

5.) As a Club, we maintain the right of our members to hold and express robust views about our Club, our Board, Club Management and employee; and our players and team, but we will do our best to avoid behaviours and language which are abusive or malicious.

AndrewP6
17-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Sounds fine to me.

bornadog
17-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Sounds fine to me.

Great initiative by the club; we don't want dickheads giving our club a bad name.

LostDoggy
17-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Happy with 3-5. Not interested in whether I bring AFL into disrepute if they ever come after this club again. Won't be signing anything that stops me wearing an up yours demetriou sticker if push ever came to shove...

lemmon
17-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Happy with 3-5. Not interested in whether I bring AFL into disrepute if they ever come after this club again. Won't be signing anything that stops me wearing an up yours demetriou sticker if push ever came to shove...

Strongly agree. We all know what's off limits, but what exactly could I do to bring the 'AFL into disrepute'? The degree of vagueness does concern me about what may one day be deemed outside the code

bornadog
17-05-2013, 05:48 PM

If you are acting as a Western Bulldogs member, I would hope you don't bring the AFL into disrepute. I understand what you mean about coming after the club, but that isnot what the code talks about. It assumes we are in existence and by the way, there is nothing to suggest (outside of this code), otherwise.

LostDoggy
17-05-2013, 06:07 PM
If you are acting as a Western Bulldogs member, I would hope you don't bring the AFL into disrepute. I understand what you mean about coming after the club, but that isnot what the code talks about. It assumes we are in existence and by the way, there is nothing to suggest (outside of this code), otherwise.

Yeah but no. Yes I'm a member and no I'm not a nob wearing club colours. I'm also mindful of language for the kiddliwinks. I'm even prepared to accept point 5 gives me an out.

I'm a bulldogs member not an afl member with bulldogs affiliation for one very good reason. I don't trust the afl and there are many good reasons beyond the merger they shoved at us that I feel that distrust is justified. I support a club, a democracy, called the FFC trading as Western Bulldogs. I reserve the right to hold that support over and above its affliation with the governing body. As such - I understand but reserve the right to refute points 1 & 2. I even reserve the right to vehement disagreement with our board if I so choose although I'm a strong advocate for the current one. If I wear a sticker saying "Up Yours Gordon" in the future can I be expelled if the board deems I'm bring it into disrepute? I don't know. But I dislike the possibility. So 1 - No. And 2 - No.

Thats where I'm at unless I can get assurances and I can't because the wording is obtuse.

bornadog
17-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Yeah but no. Yes I'm a member and no I'm not a nob wearing club colours. I'm also mindful of language for the kiddliwinks. I'm even prepared to accept point 5 gives me an out.

I'm a bulldogs member not an afl member with bulldogs affiliation for one very good reason. I don't trust the afl and there are many good reasons beyond the merger they shoved at us that I feel that distrust is justified. I support a club, a democracy, called the FFC trading as Western Bulldogs. I reserve the right to hold that support over and above its affliation with the governing body. As such - I understand but reserve the right to refute points 1 & 2. I even reserve the right to vehement disagreement with our board if I so choose although I'm a strong advocate for the current one. If I wear a sticker saying "Up Yours Gordon" in the future can I be expelled if the board deems I'm bring it into disrepute? I don't know. But I dislike the possibility. So 1 - No. And 2 - No.

Thats where I'm at unless I can get assurances and I can't because the wording is obtuse.

Hypothetically, you bring the AFL into disrepute, as long as you are not seen as a Bulldogs member, that is fine (not really but you know what I mean). eg the two nobs vilifying Daw. Their club affiliation was not mentioned but shows the AFL attracting morons like that.

I guess what 1 & 2 covers is Bulldogs members seen to bring the AFL into disrepute. I agree with this and hope all members do.

LostDoggy
17-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Hypothetically, you bring the AFL into disrepute, as long as you are not seen as a Bulldogs member, that is fine (not really but you know what I mean). eg the two nobs vilifying Daw. Their club affiliation was not mentioned but shows the AFL attracting morons like that.

I guess what 1 & 2 covers is Bulldogs members seen to bring the AFL into disrepute. I agree with this and hope all members do.

Think its the terminology where we differ. All good BAD - I just couldn't support it under its current wording. I can accept your position the priciple they are after is sound but from where I sit it reads like a monster waiting to pounce in ways never considered if circumstances change on the club and its members down the track. Points 1 and 2 are very open statements that I couldn't blindly agree too.

Dancin' Douggy
17-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Can you all please read the wording.

"we will not engage in conduct that could bring the Club or Australian rules football into disrepute"

The AFL is not Australian rules football.

The AFL is the organisation, Australian rules football is the code.

Bring on the 'up yours Demetriou' badges

Dry Rot
17-05-2013, 08:54 PM
I agree with Guideline #3.

However, I suspect I regularly breach the other 4. :D

bornadog
17-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Can you all please read the wording.

"we will not engage in conduct that could bring the Club or Australian rules football into disrepute"

The AFL is not Australian rules football.

The AFL is the organisation, Australian rules football is the code.

Bring on the 'up yours Demetriou' badges

yep you are correct:o

mjp
17-05-2013, 11:26 PM
I like all of the stuff in the members code. What about the footy dept code:

'We will not play undersized defenders against key forwards in crucial finals'. (AKA the 'Robran Rule'.)
'We will lock up our key young players 12+ months BEFORE they come out of contract so they don't become free-agency targets'. (AKA the 'Ward Rule).

I can think of a few others.

westdog54
18-05-2013, 12:27 AM
I like all of the stuff in the members code. What about the footy dept code:

'We will not play undersized defenders against key forwards in crucial finals'. (AKA the 'Robran Rule'.)
'We will lock up our key young players 12+ months BEFORE they come out of contract so they don't become free-agency targets'. (AKA the 'Ward Rule).

I can think of a few others.

Can I be pedantic and point out that Callan wasn't a free agent?;):D

Happy with the code of conduct as it is and would have no issues staying inside it.

Remi Moses
18-05-2013, 12:30 AM
I break 4 constantly.
Gotta be honest the behaviour at the footy for mine is at its worst at night games.
If they're fair dinkum no grog at the footy.
Day games the behaviour is usually good

G-Mo77
18-05-2013, 03:21 AM
I'm probably reading too much into it but think this is rubbish. Apart from Point 3 which I firmly believe in all other points are so vague and just luring the PC police to pounce.

I think my behaviour is fine at the footy. I don't swear, well I no longer swear. I'll call the umpire an idiot if I think he makes the wrong decision. I'll call opposition players names. I'll yell at our own players if they make a stupid mistake. Different supporters react differently and to most my behaviour is fine but to others it could be classed as offensive according to these broad and vague points to a few precious people.

Point 3 was all that was needed and should be respected.

Again I'm probably reading to much into it.

Ghost Dog
18-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Video is a tad long. Modern footy fans attention span is not to be overestimated.

SonofScray
18-05-2013, 01:21 PM
3-5 sit comfortably. I don't like these 'disrepute' ones, they are the open, broad brush strokes which limit your expression and create space to impose on dissenting views where no breach of 3-5 actually occurs.

bornadog
18-05-2013, 02:36 PM
3-5 sit comfortably. I don't like these 'disrepute' ones, they are the open, broad brush strokes which limit your expression and create space to impose on dissenting views where no breach of 3-5 actually occurs.

I can't see anything wrong with points 1 and 2. I can think of nothing worse when a fan has made a real dick of themselves and they turn out to be a Bulldogs supporter.

LostDoggy
18-05-2013, 04:59 PM
I can't see anything wrong with points 1 and 2. I can think of nothing worse when a fan has made a real dick of themselves and they turn out to be a Bulldogs supporter.

Here's the issue as I see it BAD. Define what either statement means? What act is defined as bring the club into disrepute? Assuming the board intends to table these as part of our constitution. What happens if the board changes in 15 years and the afl landscape has changed. What do we do if the afl "ready to help" appoints their own CEO (hey Melbourne) and decides the Western Melbourne Bulldogs is a great idea? What do we do if they say "up yours afl or similar" and acts of demonstation or resistance are bringing the game or club into disrepute? I get this is overdramatising but its poorly written statements that lead to unforeseen consequences later on. If they mean nothing then lets cull them?

Points 3-5 however make total sense. They have specific references to acts that have no place in any club or association so great - make it easy to chuck those idiots out. The only point of having a code introduced that hold club members accountable is..... to be able to take concrete action. I don't know what points 1 and 2 could lead to. Neither do you - neither do they. Can't see the need for undefinable statements in a code of conduct and I will happily argue the point at the AGM if they try to get them through.

KT31
18-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Not sure twhat to make on the code of conduct.
As grown adult's do we really need to be told right from wrong.
The only members that will agree it will be like preaching to the converted.
The others will just agree and not abide by it anyway.

Jeanette54
20-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Personally I think this sort of politically correct stuff should be the last thing occupying the club's grey matter at this time.

I could be prepared to tolerate a few ferals, as per the fabled Collingwood supporters, in exchange for their success rate.

Fix the performance first, get the niceties done later.

Footscray 1954
22-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Personally I think this sort of politically correct stuff should be the last thing occupying the club's grey matter at this time.

I could be prepared to tolerate a few ferals, as per the fabled Collingwood supporters, in exchange for their success rate.

Fix the performance first, get the niceties done later.

But we're not Coliingwood and thank god for that!Class and dignity are the hallmarks of this club and i want that to remain.To hell with Collingwood Geelong are the club that we should be basing ourselves on!

LostDoggy
22-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Not sure twhat to make on the code of conduct.
As grown adult's do we really need to be told right from wrong.
The only members that will agree it will be like preaching to the converted.
The others will just agree and not abide by it anyway.

I guess it then makes it very easy for the club to take their membership away.

This kind of thing is bad PR for the club. I can understand why they don't want our fans in the newspaper for being racist, abusive ferals.

bornadog
22-05-2013, 10:31 AM
I guess it then makes it very easy for the club to take their membership away.

This kind of thing is bad PR for the club. I can understand why they don't want our fans in the newspaper for being racist, abusive ferals.

I was so relieved the Majak abusers weren't bulldogs supporters.

bornadog
31-05-2013, 11:43 PM
P7oXA4BYrMQ