PDA

View Full Version : The price of stuff at the Footy

Ghost Dog
18-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Holy smoke, stuff is expensive at the footy. A modest increase is acceptable, but it's outrageous what they charge for food and water. Why doesn't the competition watchdog come down on them? As if it's not expensive enough to take kids to the footy.
Who gets annoyed about this? Or is everyone just used to having their wallet gouged at places like Etihad.

soupman
18-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Who buys stuff at the footy? Just bring stuff from home. Much cheaper and better.

ledge
18-05-2013, 10:56 AM
You need a credit card to buy a pie at etihad

Maddog37
18-05-2013, 11:07 AM
I would be happy to pay the price if the food was of decent quality but it is terrible. Mostly unfit for consumption which is the real rub when coupled with the price.

GVGjr
18-05-2013, 11:13 AM
Wasn't SEN trying to organise a day where everyone just brought their food from home with the idea that it would potentially jolt Etihad and other venues to be more reasonable with their pricing and to serve up a better quality?

Hotdog60
18-05-2013, 12:30 PM
The only food I've ever brought at the footy was some peanuts from you know who and the hot dough nuts from the van on the hill. Ah memories........

Does the food cost more due to penalty rates for weekend work or are they just ripping off a captive audience. The SEN idea sounds very good but it would need wide media attention to make it happen.

The Adelaide Connection
18-05-2013, 02:05 PM
As an avid music festival attendee it has been great to see the evolution of food choices at some of the major festivals. Falls seemed to start the ball rolling and the one dayers like harvest have followed suit. Even the BDO has seemed to improve (though it still has work to do). So if music festival can do it, why not the footy?

Last year AAMI stadium allowed Beyond India to set up a van on premises. They have a few restaurants in Adelaide and do very good Indian food and the stuff at the footy is no exception and very reasonably priced. I think it's $12 for a heaped plate of curry, rice and naan. I think for a few more dollars you can have two curries. You are not left hungry either way.

Beats the hell out of a soggy or burnt to a crisp $6 pie. Surely it's time to overhaul the whole industry.

ledge
18-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Some company has the rights to all food sold there, they are going to sell the easiest and cheapest food to get maximum profit, sounds like the AFL doesn't it

bornadog
18-05-2013, 02:11 PM
The MCG has upgraded its food venues, but sadly Eithad lags behind. Agree its over priced and the quality id very poor, they really need to lift their standards. Often at quarter time and half time, they are struggling to even get the food out.

westdog54
18-05-2013, 03:46 PM
With a little bit of effort and planning taking food to the footy can be a brilliant money saver. When my brothers and I go to Docklands the backpack will generally contain:

1. A wide neck thermos filled with hotdogs and half a dozen bread rolls.
2. A large bottle of coke (you get twice as much when you pay Supermarket prices.
3. A box of Pizza Shapes.
4. Some sandwiches.

Costs us about a third of what you'd pay for food at the fgound

Ghost Dog
18-05-2013, 04:08 PM
Wasn't SEN trying to organise a day where everyone just brought their food from home with the idea that it would potentially jolt Etihad and other venues to be more reasonable with their pricing and to serve up a better quality?

Great idea from SEN. On one hand, the AFL is trying to promote sport and health. On the other, serving fried food and crappy pies.Makes no sense.

LostDoggy
18-05-2013, 05:08 PM
With a little bit of effort and planning taking food to the footy can be a brilliant money saver. When my brothers and I go to Docklands the backpack will generally contain:

1. A wide neck thermos filled with hotdogs and half a dozen bread rolls.
2. A large bottle of coke (you get twice as much when you pay Supermarket prices.
3. A box of Pizza Shapes.
4. Some sandwiches.

Costs us about a third of what you'd pay for food at the fgound

We use the wide neck thermos as well, and alternate the hotdogs with steamed dim sims.

jeemak
18-05-2013, 05:28 PM
The food at Etihad is putrid beyond belief.

I buy a Pump water most games, and eat either before or after the game. The water costs me $6.50 for 750mls, roughly four time the amount a litre of premium unleaded might cost me!

When and if I have a family I'll be taking food with me.

Eastdog
18-05-2013, 05:43 PM
I usually buy the chicken strips with chips at Etihad and get a beer. What else is good on the menu there?

The Adelaide Connection
19-05-2013, 12:53 PM
I usually buy the chicken strips with chips at Etihad and get a beer. What else is good on the menu there?

Nothing in my experience. Better off getting food at the station or at Nandos (which is usually well down on their usual quality because they are pumping it out)

azabob
19-05-2013, 01:22 PM

Eastdog you are best bring a couple of rolls from home or go for a counter meal somewhere before or after the game.

azabob
19-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Unsure if SlimPickens is able to elaborate on why the prices are what they are for the quality you get.

Remi Moses
19-05-2013, 03:24 PM
The irony is they have a food outlet " Healthier foods" around aisle 28 ground level.
Is this to say the other crap they dish out is healthy?

bornadog
19-05-2013, 04:37 PM
The irony is they have a food outlet " Healthier foods" around aisle 28 ground level.

I went there the other week and asked for whole meal bread and they only had white bread.

So much for healthier, may as well have a pie its about the same.

HOSE B ROMERO
19-05-2013, 07:40 PM
The food at Etihad is putrid beyond belief.

I buy a Pump water most games, and eat either before or after the game. The water costs me $6.50 for 750mls, roughly four time the amount a litre of premium unleaded might cost me!

When and if I have a family I'll be taking food with me.

Good grief jeemak, you buy water at the footy!! :eek: Just bring a bottle from home.

HOSE B ROMERO
19-05-2013, 07:45 PM
As a family, regardless of match time, we all just have a big meal before we leave home.
Then we take:
4 bottles of water,
bag of large chips from supermarket
4 pieces of fruit
biscuits

maybe buy a bucket of chips at half time but footy food is overpriced, overcooked and over rated.

jeemak
19-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Good grief jeemak, you buy water at the footy!! :eek: Just bring a bottle from home.

Good grief HOSE B ROMERO, do you actually expect me to be sufficiently organised to forward plan with such a high level of complexity!

You're a bloody optimist, that's what you are! :D

I really should though, you're right.

AndrewP6
19-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Since I joined the Social Club I most often eat in there before home games. At least the food is edible, you get cutlery and a seat (if you time it right!) and they always offer extra chips (well, they offer me anyway!). I will buy a pie at other games, but the other stuff is way overpriced and usually crap. Pre-social club, I would take a thermos and usually some rolls or something. If we're getting done, I will overeat (and drink!), so this losing caper is costly :)

azabob
19-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Since I joined the Social Club I most often eat in there before home games. At least the food is edible, you get cutlery and a seat (if you time it right!) and they always offer extra chips (well, they offer me anyway!). I will buy a pie at other games, but the other stuff is way overpriced and usually crap. Pre-social club, I would take a thermos and usually some rolls or something. If we're getting done, I will overeat (and drink!), so this losing caper is costly :)

Out of interest what are the prices of the meal and what type of food?

AndrewP6
19-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Out of interest what are the prices of the meal and what type of food?

They've gone up a bit in the last few years. They usually have fish and chips as well as parma + pot (around $17 I think), soup, and one or two things that change every week or two (last week I think it was butter chicken, around $17-18). You can also get a bowl of chips (about $8 which is a bit steep) or the usual pie/sausage roll. To me, a reasonable meal at under $20 is a fair deal - as I said, you get proper cutlery, a table to sit at and comfortable surrounds.

Sometimes the quality is a bit dicey - last week I had a bowl of chips which tasted like they were cooked the day before. But generally it's a better deal IMO.

LostDoggy
20-05-2013, 02:37 PM

That is near my seat. Their sandwiches, wraps & sushi are very expensive (over $10) I have started buying their fruit salad this year though. It's $4.60 so quite reasonable for footy prices, and quite tasty. Problem is they are hit & miss with actually stocking it. Last game they didn't have it at all. I also go to Nandos outside the ground either before or after the game for a full meal.

KT31
20-05-2013, 03:00 PM

True irony is the food merchant makes more than the Dogs from a home game at Etihad.:confused:

Doc26
20-05-2013, 03:16 PM
So much for economies of scale, the price of junk food at VFL matches is an absolute bargain (if you can regard any junk food as a bargain) compared to that of its AFL brethren. For example, at yesterday's Williamstown match: Bucket of Hot Chips $3.50, Hot Dog $3 etc. Can of Carlton Draught $4.