PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 8

GVGjr
18-05-2013, 08:16 PM
This is the round 8 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread.

Please post your nominations for:

The Bankers= 3 guys that we banked on to do the right thing during the game

The Anchors= 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
18-05-2013, 08:23 PM
No bankers. Perhaps Stringer.

Anchors: Boyd, Cross, Gia. They're taking away games for kids who have a chance of making it. I love them, but it needs to happen ASAP.

Scorlibo
18-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Bankers

Macrae - showed a lot of composure.
Cooney - not bad for a bloke playing off one leg.
Griffen - worked into the game and as usual was one of our main sources of forward momentum.

Anchors

Boyd - I've never seen him look so exhausted and butcher the ball so much.
Stevens - not sold on his decision making.
Jones - I know I have my critics who will say that I've been waiting weeks to get stuck into Jones but even the most biased of Jones' fans would admit that he had a stinker. He didn't give us a contest when we needed it the most.

Remi Moses
18-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Bankers- Macrae really good composed player
Griffen - real leader
Anchors- Boyd said it last week he looks disinterested
Cross- love the bloke, but gotta bring in Hrovat and Prudden
Picken- see above, but we just have to many poor disposal types
Goodes- poor decision maker and another poor kick

Greystache
18-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Bankers

Griffen- One of the few leaders that lead.

JJ- Love the way he takes the game on and uses the footy with composure.

Stringer and McCrae- Two of our best in a horrible game. At least we've got our recent recruiting right.

Anchors

Goodes- I like that he takes the attacking option because we have so many who take the easy option, but today he would've struggled to hit the water from a boat by foot today.

Cross- Father time is here.

Boyd- The worst user of the ball in a team with terrible ball use.

bornadog
18-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Bankers

At least we've got our recent recruiting right.

Anchors

Goodes- I like that he takes the attacking option because we have so many who take the easy option, but today he would've struggled to hit the water from a boat by foot today.

You were saying

Greystache
18-05-2013, 11:21 PM
You were saying

What's that supposee to mean?

Or are you still going on about how we should've drafted future Hall of famer and triple Brownlow Medalist Dayle Garlett... so long as we don't set any decipline standards because he's only a kid? I was taking about McCrae and Stringer as opposed to Everitt, Grant, and Howard.

bornadog
19-05-2013, 12:34 AM
What's that supposee to mean?

Or are you still going on about how we should've drafted future Hall of famer and triple Brownlow Medalist Dayle Garlett... so long as we don't set any decipline standards because he's only a kid? I was taking about McCrae and Stringer as opposed to Everitt, Grant, and Howard.

That's totally immature.

I just thought it was funny you praised the recruitment was right for once then you bag Goodes.

Greystache
19-05-2013, 12:39 AM
That's totally immature.

I just thought it was funny you praised the recruitment was right for once then you bag Goodes.

I just get tired of hearing about all the unproven players we should have drafted, last year it was Crozier who was the one that was going to ruin us.

He was poor tonight, that doesn't mean he's a bad recruit. You build a top side with your early picks and round it out with rookies and late selection hopefuls. Stringer and McCrae were amongst our best today, that is the first time we've seen that in recent years barring F&S recruits.

boydogs
19-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Bankers
Stringer - His best game, he's doing a great job down there with little help for someone so unfit coming in that he wasn't expected to play in his first year. Has the smarts of a 10 year player, always comes away with a few goals each game
Macrae - His best game too. Composed, clean with the ball, and got involved in the play far more today for 26 touches
Griffen - The only mid with any urgency in his defensive running, worked his butt off to keep us in the game

Anchors
Jones - Impotent today when we really needed a dominant tall option. Been inconsistent all year
Markovic - He's really a makeshift option for us without Williams or Cordy in the side, but it is painfully obvious
Goodes - Both his decision making and execution with his kicking are killing us

Mantis
19-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Anchors
Jones - Impotent today when we really needed a dominant tall option. Been inconsistent all year
Markovic - He's really a makeshift option for us without Williams or Cordy in the side, but it is painfully obvious
Goodes - Both his decision making and execution with his kicking are killing us

But isn't that we you get with young players playing key roles?

westbulldog
19-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Bankers
The kids who show a bit of dash and have a go despite making mistakes.

Anchors
As tough as it is to say, Cross, Boyd and perhaps Morris need to either lift their game immeasurably or make way.

ratsmac
19-05-2013, 12:28 PM
BANKERS
Griffen - he can wear a tag pretty good these days
Cooney - he ran all night
Stringer - makes footy a simple game by making obvious and right decisions.
MacCrae - so poised with the ball in his hands

ANCHORS
Team defence - how many times this season have teams had players offside running into open goals. This is a coaching problem.

Boyd - it's 17 against 19 when Boyd plays because he passes the ball to opposition more than he does to us. Can you drop the captain? I would! And I would relieve him of the captaincy too.

Gia - Too old too slow. Gia was continually trying to get the easy ball out the back of the pack instead of competing for the mark. This ended up an uncontested mark to his direct opponent.

Macca - I sick of hearing Macca blame the young players for not being quite up to it yet when we were clearly let down by our senior more experienced players bar a couple last night.

bornadog
19-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Gia - Too old too slow. Gia was continually trying to get the easy ball out the back of the pack instead of competing for the mark. This ended up an uncontested mark to his direct opponent.

10 marks (3 contested), best of all bulldogs and equal most of any player on the ground.

Ghost Dog
19-05-2013, 03:26 PM
So frustrated, no energy for Bankers or Anchors this round.

ratsmac
19-05-2013, 03:45 PM
10 marks (3 contested), best of all bulldogs and equal most of any player on the ground.

I haven't looked at the stats so I stand to be corrected on that but I still think his output in key moments of games when we are pressing has been very lacking. We are in need of the senior group to be reliable in these times. He seems to be unreliable.

bornadog
19-05-2013, 04:35 PM
I haven't looked at the stats so I stand to be corrected on that but I still think his output in key moments of games when we are pressing has been very lacking. We are in need of the senior group to be reliable in these times. He seems to be unreliable.

He has played well the last two weeks, so I think he is safe for now. His days however, are numbered.

The rumour is he wanted to retire but was asked to stay on and help develop the younger players.

boydogs
19-05-2013, 08:27 PM
But isn't that we you get with young players playing key roles?

Perhaps, but Jones stands out as one that goes from feast to famine. 2 x 4 goal breakout games, and others where he doesn't contribute. Roughead, Young, Stringer haven't been up and down that much.

Mantis
19-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Perhaps, but Jones stands out as one that goes from feast to famine. 2 x 4 goal breakout games, and others where he doesn't contribute. Roughead, Young, Stringer haven't been up and down that much.

Jones is only playing the hardest position on the ground and drawing the number 1 defender, he was very poor on the weekend, but seriously lacked support.

To have Stringer as back up shows your infatuation with him is it an extraordinary level.

And Young too... Really??

jeemak
19-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Bankers:

Cooney - Was involved and relevant across the entire game. Would like to see him on a half forward flank at some stage through the season. As our defensive six develops, he'll potentially be freed up to be damaging forward of centre which is what we need

Griffen - Tried very hard through the game, though his effectiveness was curtailed quite a lot as we had nobody else in the midfield doing what he did

Stringer/Giansiracusa - Our two best forwards at least provided some spark and options. On a pathetically tough day to be a forward, they presented and got involved

Anchors:

Kick in strategy - The first half kick-outs pissed me off no end. GCS whilst moderately organised, had a bloody field day on the back of our incompetence in this area

Lack of scoreboard pressure - We're not good enough or fit enough not to take easy opportunities to kick goals. I think it would have been a different story if we were the three or four goals we should have been ahead by at quarter time, or prior to half time

Leadership - While structures are important, there comes a time as matches are on the line where definitive leadership on the field is required. Calmer heads would have resulted in less turnovers, and more accountable positioning at contests. The on-field leaders need to drive this as the game is happening

There's plenty of players I could have picked on, and particular hobby horses of mine could have been ridden, but what's the point.

boydogs
19-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Jones is only playing the hardest position on the ground and drawing the number 1 defender, he was very poor on the weekend, but seriously lacked support.

To have Stringer as back up shows your infatuation with him is it an extraordinary level.

And Young too... Really??

Lukas Markovic is a VFL level defender filling a hole for us up forward, and Jake Stringer is in his 4th game, yet they weren't the ones subbed out on the weekend. Jones was failing to support Markovic & Stringer, not the other way around.

I stand by my comments that all of Roughead, Young and Stringer have been more consistent than Jones.

jeemak
19-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Lukas Markovic is a VFL level defender filling a hole for us up forward, and Jake Stringer is in his 4th game, yet they weren't the ones subbed out on the weekend. Jones was failing to support Markovic & Stringer, not the other way around.

I stand by my comments that all of Roughead, Young and Stringer have been more consistent than Jones.

That's fair enough. You're not necessarily stating one has had greater output at times across the season than others.

Jones has been inconsistent in certain aspects of the game (effort, positioning etc.) and output this season.

Ghost Dog
19-05-2013, 10:11 PM
I love watching Marko kick goals. The joy and celebration. Good to see him so keen.

boydogs
19-05-2013, 11:14 PM
That's fair enough. You're not necessarily stating one has had greater output at times across the season than others.

Correct. You would have to say Jones has been our best forward this year, which is why being subbed out is such a contrast.

Remi Moses
19-05-2013, 11:36 PM
I think Jones has been better than Sam Reid this season.
Yes he has elements of his game that need fixing, however.
Needs more second efforts, needs to lead more and stop trying for mark of the year!
Hard gig in an ordinary side being the number 1 banana. Just look at Reid in a good side for instance.

Mantis
20-05-2013, 06:03 AM

I too was very disappointed in Jones's game, he stunk it up, but up until late in the 3rd qtr Markovic hadn't taken a mark. Either of the 2 could have been subbed, but Lukas had kicked an extra goal which probably gave him the nod.

And in fairness to all 3 our field kicking was disgusting which didn't help our forwards.

And some credit should be given to Rory Thompson who is having a very good year..

Sedat
20-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Jones needs to close the gap between his best and worst games. I'd like to see a 'shocker' from him consisting of a couple of goals, 10 possession and repeated hard defensive pressure and chasing in the forward line. The nature of modern footy is that key forwards will never kick a bag every week (Buddy recently went 2 weeks without kicking a goal), but Jones needs to lose the 4 possession/no impact games.

SlimPickens
20-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Jones needs to close the gap between his best and worst games. I'd like to see a 'shocker' from him consisting of a couple of goals, 10 possession and repeated hard defensive pressure and chasing in the forward line. The nature of modern footy is that key forwards will never kick a bag every week (Buddy recently went 2 weeks without kicking a goal), but Jones needs to lose the 4 possession/no impact games.

Spot on Sedat. Tends to be an issue with most tall forwards. Jones must continue to work on his work rate and control the things he can control (primarily effort).

This year he has made some great strides forward in these departments and I think he I'll certainly benefit with another tall option in our forward line.

bornadog
20-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Spot on Sedat. Tends to be an issue with most tall forwards. Jones must continue to work on his work rate and control the things he can control (primarily effort).

This year he has made some great strides forward in these departments and I think he I'll certainly benefit with another tall option in our forward line.

Yes, and not Austin or Markovic.

Time to bring in Roberts.