PDA

View Full Version : A massive problem that needs addressing - field kicking

bornadog
18-05-2013, 11:09 PM
We are the worse kicking side in the AFL. We were once revered as the best, just a few years ago.

In the first quarter today with only 5 minutes gone we had our chances but when attacking, we kicked it straight to the opposition, in fact twice to Ablett within minutes.

This issue must be addressed and addressed fast. We had plenty of the ball, but we just don't know how to pass it to our team mates.

Dancin' Douggy
18-05-2013, 11:11 PM
We are the worse kicking side in the AFL. We were once revered as the best, just a few years ago.

In the first quarter today with only 5 minutes gone we had our chances but when attacking, we kicked it straight to the opposition, in fact twice to Ablett within minutes.

This issue must be addressed and addressed fast. We had plenty of the ball, but we just don't know how to pass it to our team mates.

I completely agree with you, problem is, you can't address it fast.

Mantis
18-05-2013, 11:17 PM
So what's happened between rd 1 and now because in the season opener our kicking skills looked very good and much improved on last year?

Agreed that our ball use today was disgusting.

Sedat
18-05-2013, 11:19 PM
So what's happened between rd 1 and now because in the season opener our kicking skills looked very good and much improved on last season.
We played witches hats in Round 1. Brisbane with the right attitude (ie: today) would beat us comfortably.

G-Mo77
18-05-2013, 11:24 PM
So what's happened between rd 1 and now because in the season opener our kicking skills looked very good and much improved on last year?

Agreed that our ball use today was disgusting.

Our kicking is fine when we get into space, finding that space is our issue. This lies on the coach IMO. We're not smart enough around the packs and don't have players that spread from the contest. Every player can't win the ball, we've got to work this out first.

Scorlibo
18-05-2013, 11:36 PM
Our kicking is fine when we get into space, finding that space is our issue. This lies on the coach IMO. We're not smart enough around the packs and don't have players that spread from the contest. Every player can't win the ball, we've got to work this out first.

Right on.

Greystache
18-05-2013, 11:37 PM
I don't think it's purely kicking skills, decision making is a major contribution to our poor skills. So often players don't have the composure to steady before kicking, or one player after another handballs to a player 1 metre away under more pressure until finally someone bombs the ball blindly under pressure. A player like JJ looks like a really good kick because he gets himself into the clear before trying to kick to a target.

Sedat
19-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Yeah our field kicking, ball movement and decision-making all stink right now. But what I really want to know is, can our senior coach actually coach? He is obviously doing a tower of work during the week, but this is getting undermined in the 2 hours on match day. He does not dictate the flow of games from the box at all - the opposite is more true, with his counterpart invariably dictating the game and making moves that BMac cannot counter. He simply needs to start impacting during the course of the game. I was worried last season when Brett Ratten comprehensively out-coached him with a virtual Preston Bullants team, and he's done nothing on match days this season to make me feel more comfortable.

boydogs
19-05-2013, 01:29 AM
But what I really want to know is, can our senior coach actually coach?

I think he has used the sub well, both in terms of timing and deciding who to take off. I also liked the change to the forward line setup he made after taking Jones off i.e. move everyone up the field and kick it over the back to stop us getting killed in the air, got us a few goals early in the last.

kruder
19-05-2013, 02:04 AM
You wait till your 5 goals down before you make a sub? The game was slipping when they were two in front and we were looking like we were running up and down on the same spot. Awful decision by the coaching staff.

Field kicking is addressed at draft time boys. Very few improve. This years batch can all kick, its all about patience in which no one has.

boydogs
19-05-2013, 02:19 AM
You wait till your 5 goals down before you make a sub? The game was slipping when they were two in front and we were looking like we were running up and down on the same spot. Awful decision by the coaching staff.

Smith on for Jones gave us extra run, he did it with 5 minutes still remaining in the 3rd quarter as we really started to tire

Mantis
19-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Smith on for Jones gave us extra run, he did it with 5 minutes still remaining in the 3rd quarter as we really started to tire

Off the point of this thread, but why didn't he make the move 10min earlier?... blindy freddie could see the game slipping away.

KT31
19-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Not having been to a training session during BMacs reign it is a bit hard for me to comment on his training methods.
Are the players doing the right drills or are the drills more focussed on "cracking in" ?

stefoid
19-05-2013, 10:46 AM
We tried to address footskills in the 09 draft, knowing we were taking two inside mids with average footskills in '10. Great idea, poor execution.

bornadog
19-05-2013, 11:27 AM
I think our issue is hitting a target. I am not talking the big long kicks, I am talking just finding a target. eg Goodes has a beautiful left foot kick, yet he can't hit someone on the chest. Every time we kick to someone, its way over their head, or they have to stretch, or we just miss them all together.

We can talk about the spread, but many times in the first half of the game, we had an open forward line and just couldn't hit someone on the chest, in fact we kicked it straight to them. Similarly last week when we had the momentum in the third quarter and hit the front, we couldn't execute a simple pass to someone . eg Wallis kicks the ball in the direction of two bulldogs players standing there on their own, and the pass is way above Minson's head.

Our kicking efficiency is the lowest in the AFL.

DOG GOD
19-05-2013, 11:38 AM
It's more than our kicking. To be honest I don't think any of our players have any respect for the rabble that is our fwd line structure. Once we get to the middle of the ground, we are continually hand balling backwards or sideways to a player standing still, then kicking off one step. I'm not sure if its just the case that we don't have the personel up fwd to instill confidence or is it some sort of game plan to put a player in a better position (which isn't working). I also noticed last night that it seemed to be a play on at all costs, and when you mix that with avge foot skills, you are only asking for turnovers.

A lot, and I mean a lot, needs fixing, but the fact that only about 10% of our team are classed are really good kicks leads us to a no hope in hell chance of improving quickly. What we wouldn't do for 10 Gilbees right now :)

bornadog
19-05-2013, 11:41 AM
It's more than our kicking. To be honest I don't think any of our players have any respect for the rabble that is our fwd line structure. Once we get to the middle of the ground, we are continually hand balling backwards or sideways to a player standing still, then kicking off one step. I'm not sure if its just the case that we don't have the personel up fwd to instill confidence or is it some sort of game plan to put a player in a better position (which isn't working). I also noticed last night that it seemed to be a play on at all costs, and when you mix that with avge foot skills, you are only asking for turnovers.

A lot, and I mean a lot, needs fixing, but the fact that only about 10% of our team are classed are really good kicks leads us to a no hope in hell chance of improving quickly. What we wouldn't do for 10 Gilbees right now :)

Gilbee is down there now as a part time coach so that's a start.

G-Mo77
19-05-2013, 11:54 AM
We're slow decision makers as well. When we move the ball quickly or disposal doesn't look anywhere near as bad. Instead we hold and wait, allow zones to be set and then we've got problems.

bornadog
19-05-2013, 11:57 AM
We're slow decision makers as well. When we move the ball quickly or disposal doesn't look anywhere near as bad. Instead we hold and wait, allow zones to be set and then we've got problems.

Maybe its not the ball carriers fault but rather those further up field. We look up and there is no one running to space or position, so we have to wait wait and then we are under pressure, we hurry our kick or handball and bang, turnover.

Maddog37
19-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Skills and decision making fall apart when we fatigue. Our game plan is labor intensive and we are not fit enough.

The Adelaide Connection
19-05-2013, 12:41 PM
I am not sure it is their actual kicking skills at all.
I think it is between the ears.

Not a lot changed for West Coast from the year they finished bottom to the year they went top four, they just got a couple of really ugly wins in a row in the first few rounds. Then they won a few playing decent footy. Then they looked like world beaters. The same thing can be said for Port (I know the bubble has burst a little, but last year they would have dropped all 5 of those games).

LostDoggy
19-05-2013, 02:14 PM
Gilbee is down there now as a part time coach so that's a start.

Rohan Smith does a lot of skill work as well, doesn't seem to be helping much though.

bornadog
19-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Rohan Smith does a lot of skill work as well, doesn't seem to be helping much though.

Rohan is a fulltime assistant.

LostDoggy
19-05-2013, 02:29 PM

And Skills work is still one of his primary responsibilities.

bulldogtragic
19-05-2013, 02:59 PM
I love Bubba, but his position must be under some scrutiny. We'd have to almost be the worst killed team on last nights performance.

boydogs
19-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Off the point of this thread, but why didn't he make the move 10min earlier?... blindy freddie could see the game slipping away.

Was that the forward lines fault?

It was a brave move as it was, our forwards were playing Pagan's paddock in the last to avoid being killed in the air.

Murphy'sLore
20-05-2013, 04:04 PM
It's so frustrating to see players time and again kick to a stationary target who is then instantly run down.