PDA

View Full Version : Could we qualify for a priority pick this year?

GVGjr
20-05-2013, 10:46 PM
I'd like to make a request of the AFL to consider making a Priority Pick available for the Western Bulldogs at this years draft.

We have a few from the media and the AFL that visit the site so I'd like them to consider the following:

- The Bulldogs are in a rebuilding phase after a number of years of being a very competitive outfit. The downside of this is that we have bottomed out too quickly.

- We will experience a 2nd year in the bottom bracket of the competition.

- Membership levels have certainly been impacted by our poor on field performances however, the one thing that does excite the members is the introduction of exciting younger players into the senior squad.

- Members have embraced the youth of the club and are genuinely excited by the potential of the likes of Roughead, Jones, Dahlhaus, Johannisen, Liberatore, Wallis, Smith, Talia, Stringer, Macrae and Hrovat.

Other considerations:

- The club has invested significantly in adding resources to the football department. Younger players at the club now or arriving at the club in the near future will certainly benefit with the development opportunities this will provide.

- The club is also fielding it's own VFL side in 2014 which is another significant investment and this will also provide the younger players at the club the opportunity to learn how to play AFL football.

- We got short changed in the Callan Ward compensation. Ward is clearly the main player for the GWS side and is already their captain. This was on top of losing Jarrod Harbrow the season before who was an emerging player destined for a long career at the club.

- The two new clubs have dominated the drafts for the last 3 years which has put the Bulldogs at a distinct disadvantage. Both GC and GWS certainly needed the draft concessions to kick off their clubs as much as we do now to reinvigorate ours.

- The club is heading in the right direction with a productive board and a united and well resourced football department.

In summary, the AFL has been very supportive of the Western Bulldogs however, we do need a push by the AFL to provide us with a Priority Pick this year which will do wonders for our membership base and provide more reasons for our fans to join up.

The club simply can't afford to slip back any further and become irrelevant in the AFL so we certainly need their support in helping us get back on track.

Maddog37
20-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Strongly agree with this. Especially the Callan Ward issue. The AFL got it wrong with his compensation.

bornadog
20-05-2013, 11:28 PM
You can add we haven't been in a grand final since 1961 and we represent the Western Region of Melbourne. Surely the AFL would like to see us succeed and entrench us in the West as the preferred club and code of Football to follow.

Doc26
20-05-2013, 11:32 PM
I agree that we should have a solid case by year end for a priority selection for the reasons mentioned above.

There was something akin to a pefect storm brewing 2 to 3 years ago with our desperation to capitalise on a closing premiership window to take short term / sighted list decisions whilst the GCS and GWS were about to gain significant start up compensation, and as you have indicated, understandably.

Our lack of a list manager through this earlier period coupled with our desperate chase for the elusive flag sees us where we are today.

bornadog
20-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Our lack of a list manager through this earlier period coupled with our desperate chase for the elusive flag sees us where we are today.

We should never have lost Ward and Harbrow, what a difference they would have made to our current team.

GVGjr
20-05-2013, 11:53 PM
We should never have lost Ward and Harbrow, what a difference they would have made to our current team.

It's unfortunate that we did and the question now is does it add to the weight of the argument of getting a PP this year?

bornadog
21-05-2013, 12:00 AM
It's unfortunate that we did and the question now is does it add to the weight of the argument of getting a PP this year?

Agree with your point about the Ward compensation, we should bring that up as you indicated.

Ghost Dog
21-05-2013, 12:07 AM
The more one relies on handouts, the more one becomes complacent.

LostDoggy
21-05-2013, 12:07 AM
plus we have only won 6 of our last 30 games and the way we are playing unlikely to win another game for the year, that would be 6 wins in 2 seasons

Doc26
21-05-2013, 12:12 AM
Our case is best made by our win / loss by year end.

Unfortunately it is looking possible that we will sit unrivalled on the loss side, even compared with GWS, over what will be a ~33 week duration since our 2nd last win and without anywhere near the stocks to move forward as the 2 manufactured teams have been gifted. The question I ask myself is have we even bottomed out yet with such reliance on players soon to head into veteran status and with a couple of others likely to retire at season's end and the effect of the dark cloud of free agency that will continue to hang over our head whilst we're vulnerable.

boydogs
21-05-2013, 01:03 AM
The priority pick will probably be there for us at years end, but really, we're the ones that made the decision to top up for a shot at a flag (Hall, Akermanis, Veszpremi, Sherman, Djerrkura) as opposed to continuing to recruit and develop youngsters. It was worth a shot, but we have to cop it now and be patient whilst the next group come through.

Cyberdoggie
21-05-2013, 01:11 AM
I think we've got ourselves to blame for our position.

We knew just like every other club that the new clubs were going to dominate the draft.

The Ward compensation sucks, but we knew that at the time and should of made more of it, but we didn't. I think our past administration were too worried about biting the hand that feeds it at times. I believe that will change with Peter Gordon in charge.

It sucks what has happened to us but we need to move on and concentrate on how to get better.

GVGjr
21-05-2013, 06:17 AM

GD I think that's a very simplistic comment and I hope what I write counters it.
The AFL is all about providing opportunities for all clubs to participate in the competition. Clubs that aren't performing well are given poorer fixtures and are then compensated. They also receive earlier draft picks which I assume you don't have a problem with. The Priority Pick concept was actually a very good one however, some clubs abused it and it became a major issue within the media which started questioning the intent of clubs. I can see why the AFL didn't want that. The Western Bulldogs never went down that road and I believe they have been a very good AFL citizen.

You might very well look at it as a handout but I believe we have qualified for it and in a way earned it. If I thought the club didn't have its act together off the field I wouldn't contemplate starting the thread.

Mofra
21-05-2013, 09:59 AM
You can add we haven't been in a grand final since 1961 and we represent the Western Region of Melbourne. Surely the AFL would like to see us succeed and entrench us in the West as the preferred club and code of Football to follow.
Important point to note, considering the area between Wydnhamvale and Lara is the fastest growing area in Australia and migrants who overwhelmingly move to outer-suburban areas tend to favour the round ball code.

I think we could mount a compelling argument, but with likely to Melbourne finish below us (and given the fine for 'bringing he game into disrepute' they'll be hard pressed to get one) we really are pushing feaces against gravity.

ReLoad
21-05-2013, 10:04 AM
The interesting part for me plays out with the "priority pick" in that where will the pick take place?
1st Round? end of 1st round? 2nd round? Now that the AFL has changed the rules they can pretty much grant a pick anywhere they see fit.

Remember that all AFL clubs will oppose (not publicly) the granting of a priority pick, so there will be internal pressure to give us stuff all.

Given we are only going to win a couple more games at best this year and our position last year I think we have a good case for a 1st rounder, with at worst a "after our 1st pick" type selection, if we end up with a end of 1st round then we will have been totally dudded IMHO.

Interesting to see how this plays out.

Dancin' Douggy
21-05-2013, 10:09 AM
GD I think that's a very simplistic comment and I hope what I write counters it.
The AFL is all about providing opportunities for all clubs to participate in the competition. Clubs that aren't performing well are given poorer fixtures and are then compensated. They also receive earlier draft picks which I assume you don't have a problem with. The Priority Pick concept was actually a very good one however, some clubs abused it and it became a major issue within the media which started questioning the intent of clubs. I can see why the AFL didn't want that. The Western Bulldogs never went down that road and I believe they have been a very good AFL citizen.

You might very well look at it as a handout but I believe we have qualified for it and in a way earned it. If I thought the club didn't have its act together off the field I wouldn't contemplate starting the thread.

I agree with this post and your first one as well GVGjr.

The mechanism is there.

KT31
21-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Whilst I agree with the argument and would love to see us recieve a priority pick.
Realistically I can't see it happening, the AFL has two new babies to raise and will do everything in their power to see them succeed before the struggling clubs.

SonofScray
21-05-2013, 10:10 AM
The timing of our collapse and subsequent rebuild has been very unlucky, much like how our rise to the top happened at the same time as Geelong emerged as a powerhouse.

We got raided by the new clubs, didn't receive adequate compensation for our future captain and their best player and wasted the other compo pick (in hindsight).

There's been no middle ground really, it feels like we were almost there and then bang, dark days on the field again. Not having Ward and Harbrow has contributed to this, we'd be more competitive with them. Our structures might be different and certainly our trading/drafting has been impacted.

Its a point worth raising. Can't see us getting a chop out though, nor it being well received in the wider AFL fraternity.

KT31
21-05-2013, 10:54 AM
The timing of our collapse and subsequent rebuild has been very unlucky, much like how our rise to the top happened at the same time as Geelong emerged as a powerhouse.

We got raided by the new clubs, didn't receive adequate compensation for our future captain and their best player and wasted the other compo pick (in hindsight).

There's been no middle ground really, it feels like we were almost there and then bang, dark days on the field again. Not having Ward and Harbrow has contributed to this, we'd be more competitive with them. Our structures might be different and certainly our trading/drafting has been impacted.

Its a point worth raising. Can't see us getting a chop out though, nor it being well received in the wider AFL fraternity.

Would it be better recieved if it was, say two picks in the second or third round instead of a first round pick ?

Bulldog Revolution
21-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Great thread GVGjr

We got robbed of two young core players for development teams and received below market compensation for both.

Ward was appointed GWS's captain in Year 1 and won their best and fairest.

I've banged on about it but Hawthorn got the same compensation for Brown that we got for Harbrow, and they weren't even going to re-sign Brown. Hawks got a ridiculous pick, Brown got a few years extra superannuation and everyone is happy.

Go_Dogs
21-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Great post GVGjr, agree with the lot.

In my view, we have been hit harder than most by the introduction of the expansion sides, we need to address the glaring deficiencies in our list through the draft and we now seem much better resourced to develop young players.

There is certainly a poor perception of the club nowadays and it hasn't taken long for us to fall, and fall hard. At the end of the day though, the club is a crucial asset to the AFL and there is (based on the OP) significant merit in why we are deserving of a priority pick either at the end of the first round or directly after our second round pick.

LostDoggy
21-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Much as I'm filthy about the Ward compensation, I don't think that dog has legs. The commmitee decided and despite what we all know and knew about Ward being the better player of the Scully Ward combo we got stiffed and have to move on.

Would be discraceful if we only win another couple of games and don't get an extra pick though. If we only win another couple we should absolutely get a pre round 1 pick. Our list is in strife and if they choose not to act then they aren't using the draft to rebalance/equalise the afl teams as they claim they do. I like the fact the afl now gets discretion in this though. There is no reason to give further picks to GWS (some could argue Melbourne) and every reason to use their discretion and award a pick to the dogs. Could work in our favour.

Gordon would have to be spruiking right now surely? He should start with Eddie as he has a strong media voice and has been recently supportive of the Dogs place in the game and their future success. Might have more value than rallying anyone at ARGO, sorry AFL, House.

hujsh
21-05-2013, 02:58 PM

An oversimplification of both welfare and our situation

Ghost Dog
21-05-2013, 03:18 PM

An oversimplification of both welfare and our situation

"Handout" was a bit glib, but I knew what the consensus would be so wanted to get in first as the devil's advocate.

Yeah Yeah, we probably are owed one over Ward. But What about other clubs, who've been jibbed of players owing to the expansion teams?

They might argue the call in this thread is the off field equivalent of whinging about the umpiring. Not to mention setting yourself up for disappointment.

If 10,000 fans demanded a priority pick, do you honestly believe it would change the minds at AFL house?
And there is no way we are going to get 10,000 people outside AFL house anyway.

Let's get on with the job at hand. It's out of our control now.

Priority picks and three to five year visions are are all very good and absolutely necessary. But who wants to see a team that has thrown it in because they are resigned to the fact they are part of a "rebuild". We don't have the luxury to think priority picks are going to save our fortunes. We expect the AFL to treat us fairly, and the discussion about Stadiums is the real issue for me. Expecting a pat on the back for doing the right thing seems a bit wishful. You do the right thing because it's the right thing. What other clubs want to do is their business.

Do you not feel Melbourne became complacent because of their young draft picks Hjush?

You will find me buck naked but for a pair of Bulldogs boxer shorts, tied to the EJ Whitten statue, screaming for internal change at the top of my lungs before I resort to raising my hopes over priority picks.
We have stacks of improvement to go in this current group just as it stands on the park.

LostDoggy
21-05-2013, 07:38 PM
I don't think its about hope; its about the system. The system as played out over the last 10 years says if we are under 16.5 points we will and should get a priority pick somewhere. Not about whinging - its about evening out the comp in theory so fans turn up to games and the afl get more money.

Ghost Dog
21-05-2013, 07:46 PM
I don't think its about hope; its about the system. The system as played out over the last 10 years says if we are under 16.5 points we will and should get a priority pick somewhere. Not about whinging - its about evening out the comp in theory so fans turn up to games and the afl get more money.

AFL have the final say now.

LostDoggy
21-05-2013, 08:00 PM
AFL have the final say now.

Yup - but much as we have been infinately ganked by them
Over the years I suspect this will be in our favour if things go really wrong for the rest of the year.

GVGjr
21-05-2013, 08:09 PM
The interesting part for me plays out with the "priority pick" in that where will the pick take place?
1st Round? end of 1st round? 2nd round? Now that the AFL has changed the rules they can pretty much grant a pick anywhere they see fit.

Clearly the job of the AFL to determine what we should receive.

Bulldog4life
22-05-2013, 02:48 PM
Gold Coast has stockpiled three extra first-round draft picks for this years draft. GWS have 25 first round selections on their list and I'm not sure how many first rounders they are qualified to get this year. Surely the AFL should consider giving us "one" priority first round pick.

BornInDroopSt'54
22-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Gold Coast has stockpiled three extra first-round draft picks for this years draft. GWS have 25 first round selections on their list and I'm not sure how many first rounders they are qualified to get this year. Surely the AFL should consider giving us "one" priority first round pick.

From a Bulldog perspective, in our current context of stuggling and having already being overtaken by Gold Coast, it seems outrageous that they have this stockpile of three first round draft picks. Given that the expansion sides need to establish themselves quickly as competitive obviously they needed big concessions, namely drafting.
However has the AFL contingency plans for a club or clubs that are compromised more than others by these draft concessions. If not then the Bulldogs really do need a campaign to push our case without relying on the AFL to rectify it for us. Other clubs and supporters may not be as sympathetic to our claim for a priority pick as they are for the expansion teams.
Come on Simon Garlick and the board, push our case for all we're worth.

Mofra
22-05-2013, 05:43 PM
You will find me buck naked but for a pair of Bulldogs boxer shorts, tied to the EJ Whitten statue, screaming for internal change at the top of my lungs before I resort to raising my hopes over priority picks.
Look, I don't know you personally.... but I would still find that absolutely hilarious.

If I had the energy I'd start a petition :p

Mofra
22-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Gold Coast has stockpiled three extra first-round draft picks for this years draft.
... and they get Jack Martin next year.

They will be unstoppable, I shudder to think of the drop off in long standing AFL supporters if GWS & GCS start wining multiple premierships

ledge
22-05-2013, 05:57 PM
I thought the AFL came out and said their would be no more priority picks a few months ago.

LostDoggy
22-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Can't see it happening. There's just been far too much bullshit in the media for the AFL to come out and award priority picks. If they do,it absolutely won't even be discussed until the seasons end.

Dancin' Douggy
22-05-2013, 07:26 PM
I thought the AFL came out and said their would be no more priority picks a few months ago.

no that's not true. Priority picks are now 'discretionary'.

They can grant them if and when they see fit, but it's no longer an automatic entitlement.

GVGjr
22-05-2013, 07:34 PM
no that's not true. Priority picks are now 'discretionary'.

They can grant them if and when they see fit, but it's no longer an automatic entitlement.

And that's the crux of why I started off the thread. To me, there is no reason why we wouldn't qualify for consideration.

Maddog37
22-05-2013, 08:40 PM
I would think they would let us stew and if we are poor again next year then we would be a chance. No idea why I think that but it seems it may be a bit upsetting to other clubs and Vlad would cater to the masses.

LostDoggy
22-05-2013, 09:36 PM
If another club was given one, would we be happy about it?

AndrewP6
22-05-2013, 09:47 PM
I would think they would let us stew and if we are poor again next year then we would be a chance. No idea why I think that but it seems it may be a bit upsetting to other clubs and Vlad would cater to the masses.

Have to agree, I can't see them giving us one - yet.

The very thought that we are debating it, or that the club might actually need one, is quite depressing.

GVGjr
22-05-2013, 10:59 PM
If another club was given one, would we be happy about it?

BAS, I think you are missing the point. Have another read of the opening post and ask yourself which other clubs would qualify? I believe we tick all the boxes required. I'd be surprised if another club qualifies but good luck to them if they do.

I certainly don't believe any other club is more deserving right now.

GVGjr
22-05-2013, 11:00 PM

I'm not so sure because we have a very strong case for them to be proactive.

Ghost Dog
22-05-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm not so sure because we have a very strong case for them to be proactive.

Being highly optimistic GVGjr, and setting yourself up for disappointment.

Still, if we get one, I'll be the first to cheer whoever it is on.

GVGjr
23-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Being highly optimistic GVGjr, and setting yourself up for disappointment.

Still, if we get one, I'll be the first to cheer whoever it is on.

We have a compelling argument of why we should be considered this year. If the club presents it to the AFL I think they will be at least listened to.

The AFL don't want the perception of teams playing for draft picks or for priority picks but have kept the option of it being at their discretion. In my opinion we should be giving them a strong and frequent reminder.

Maddog37
23-05-2013, 01:34 PM
We also need to apply this year with an eye to setting the ground work for one next year should we continue to struggle.

GVGjr
23-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Lindsay Gilbee doing his bit.

http://heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/retired-western-bulldogs-star-lindsay-gilbee-says-the-club-deserves-a-priority-pick/story-fni5fazt-1226649469732

If we don't ask we won't get.

The last comment in the article shouldn't be glossed over.

"Gilbee said the club had done "everything'' to win games in the past, separating it from the Demons' tanking controversy"

bornadog
23-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Lindsay Gilbee doing his bit.

http://heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/retired-western-bulldogs-star-lindsay-gilbee-says-the-club-deserves-a-priority-pick/story-fni5fazt-1226649469732

If we don't ask we won't get.

The last comment in the article shouldn't be glossed over.

"Gilbee said the club had done "everything'' to win games in the past, separating it from the Demons' tanking controversy"

He has been reading WOOF.

GVGjr
23-05-2013, 10:56 PM
He has been reading WOOF.

We need to keep spreading the word. Gaining some momentum is the key.

Dancin' Douggy
23-05-2013, 10:58 PM
And that's the crux of why I started off the thread. To me, there is no reason why we wouldn't qualify for consideration.

Exactly. I'm right behind you.

GVGjr
23-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Exactly. I'm right behind you.

There might only be a few of us on WOOF keen to push this but lets keep spreading the word anyway.

Maddog37
24-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Does WOOF have a face book page we can like or something of that ilk.

Bulldog4life
24-05-2013, 03:03 PM
There might only be a few of us on WOOF keen to push this but lets keep spreading the word anyway.

Agree GVGjr. Great that Gilbs has come out in the HUN to say what a lot of us have been saying about Ward compo pick not being enough compared to Scully's two picks. The more people say it the better. Of course if we turn our form around this year we probably won't be having this discussion.

bornadog
24-05-2013, 05:37 PM

I spoke to Garlick about it today at a function

AndrewP6
24-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Does WOOF have a face book page we can like or something of that ilk.

Not on this particular issue, but I made one for WOOF members...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/123481771007933/

Go_Dogs
24-05-2013, 06:26 PM
I spoke to Garlick about it today at a function

I for one would be very interested to his reaction. Did he think the idea has legs BAD?

bornadog
24-05-2013, 06:32 PM
I for one would be very interested to his reaction. Did he think the idea has legs BAD?

The idea does have legs but the club doesn't want to play out anything in public and be seen always asking for compensation. Also, given the current situation, you wouldn't want the club conceding that we won't win many games for the rest of the season and qualifying for a priority pick. This could look bad on the playing group.

I believe, in private, and behind the scenes, the club will discuss this issue.

Go_Dogs
24-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Thanks BAD, appreciate it. I think it's a good line for the club to take for the time being and the powers that be can reassess closer to the close of the season. Doesn't prevent us as supporters really ramming home the idea in the meantime too.

Ghost Dog
24-05-2013, 07:07 PM
We have a compelling argument of why we should be considered this year. If the club presents it to the AFL I think they will be at least listened to.

The AFL don't want the perception of teams playing for draft picks or for priority picks but have kept the option of it being at their discretion. In my opinion we should be giving them a strong and frequent reminder.

well they have to do something to stop it turning into th EPL type scenario. It will be last chance this year, as the Cal ward deal will soon be water under the bridge. IMO we should have gone harder at the time.

chef
24-05-2013, 07:22 PM
well they have to do something to stop it turning into th EPL type scenario. It will be last chance this year, as the Cal ward deal will soon be water under the bridge. IMO we should have gone harder at the time.

It will never be like that. With the draft and salary cap one, two or three teams are never going to dominate for decades like what happens in England.

I personally don't think we deserve the pick just yet(if we are still as bad come the end of the next season then maybe), we are building a decent young list and it's just going to take time, the right management and a couple more drafts.

GVGjr
24-05-2013, 07:53 PM
The idea does have legs but the club doesn't want to play out anything in public and be seen always asking for compensation. Also, given the current situation, you wouldn't want the club conceding that we won't win many games for the rest of the season and qualifying for a priority pick. This could look bad on the playing group.

It's all about timing, I believe the supporters should be pushing this barrow now and if we don't have sufficient wins much later in the season then it's the clubs turn to present their case to the AFL.

Of course the club can't push it at the moment but we the supporters certainly can.

bornadog
24-05-2013, 07:56 PM
It's all about timing, I believe the supporters should be pushing this barrow now and if we don't have sufficient wins much later in the season then it's the clubs turn to present their case to the AFL.

Of course the club can't push it at the moment but we the supporters certainly can.

Yes, certainly agree with that - and today I tried to do my bit:)

GVGjr
24-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Yes, certainly agree with that - and today I tried to do my bit:)

Good to hear you are on board. ;)

Remi Moses
24-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Lindsay Gilbee nailed it.
That Ward compo pick was a shameful decision.

bulldogsman
25-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Good initiative GVG.

If there's any club the deserves it, it's us. We've been one of the hardest hit due to the expansion clubs and still we've played fair. We don't have a supplements program, we're not tanking and we don't have illegal contract deals going on (at least that we know of). I hope the AFL can see fit in rewarding us with one, not only because we're bad, but for playing within the rules.

However unlikely it may seem, I know I'd feel better trying to actually do something rather then just sitting back and taking it from the AFL. I'll be doing whatever I can.

LostDoggy
25-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Lindsay Gilbee nailed it.
That Ward compo pick was a shameful decision.

Worse still, our club just sat back and took the decision up the Jackson. It was early in Garlick's reign as CEO and his inexperience showed. It is pathetic that Gilbee is out there stirring the pot to get this decision righted but the club is still sitting back.

bornadog
25-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Worse still, our club just sat back and took the decision up the Jackson. It was early in Garlick's reign as CEO and his inexperience showed. It is pathetic that Gilbee is out there stirring the pot to get this decision righted but the club is still sitting back.

Was is it pathetic?

boydogs
25-05-2013, 04:24 PM

Gilbee may have been asked to do this for us. As Bornadog quoted from Simon Garlick, the club themselves can't be seen to be agitating for a priority pick in round 9, we need to be doing our best to win games and not finish with a win/loss record that would bring a priority pick into the equation.

LostDoggy
26-05-2013, 12:52 AM
Maybe not anymore.... :)

chef
26-05-2013, 06:52 AM
Yeah, can't see it happening

KT31
26-05-2013, 10:05 AM

If we won less than five under the old system it was a given.
If we win less than five this season, despite the Ward compensation, it should be more than considered.
Like you I'm sceptical it will happen but nothing to lose and its worth a shot.

GVGjr
26-05-2013, 11:43 AM

This isn't a thread about if it will happen or not it's one about if it should happen if we qualify. Argue your point either.

chef
26-05-2013, 03:59 PM
This isn't a thread about if it will happen or not it's one about if it should happen if we qualify. Argue your point either.

Fair enough

Ghost Dog
26-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Do you not agree GVG that a public campaign for one makes us look a bit sooky?
I'd much rather go through the back channels.
If we qualify then I think the AFL will have to look at it. The public can only tolerate so many blowout games ( GWS being by over 100 points. It's boring to watch ). But considering many commentators are bullish on our development, they might avoid having the balls to do it. ( if we qualify ) Sad really, but what can we do about it? We are paid to win games.

GVGjr
26-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Do you not agree GVG that a public campaign for one makes us look a bit sooky?
I'd much rather go through the back channels.
If we qualify then I think the AFL will have to look at it. The public can only tolerate so many blowout games ( GWS being by over 100 points. It's boring to watch ). But considering many commentators are bullish on our development, they might avoid having the balls to do it. ( if we qualify ) Sad really, but what can we do about it? We are paid to win games.

No I don't think so at all. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. We just need to remind the AFL of our case. You might see it as sooky but I'm surprised that you do.

I think it works our way if the commentators are bullish about our development of younger players. As the opening post details, there has never been a better time for a talented young player to come to our club as we really have a well resourced the football department that focuses on development and next year we even field our own VFL side.
I think this is exactly what would appeal to the AFL and they should see it as a positive. If they grant a PP to us it won't be wasted.

If you look at all the factors that have been detailed then I think we qualify. We just need to remind the AFL that the mechanism to consider a PP to a club is still there. Let them explain why we shouldn't be considered.

LostDoggy
26-05-2013, 05:26 PM
When I give it some further thought, it does make sense in a way: the AFL can point to giving us a priority pick as “proof” that cheating isn't the way, just work hard and they'll support you if necessary. If we do the right thing but get squat, it sort of flies in the face of what they've been saying all along.

w3design
26-05-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't see why the AFL should be against the idea of giving us a priority pick if they are genuine about equalization.
As has been pointed out, we have been hardest hit by the introduction of the 2 new franchises. First we directly lost 2 quality players while most clubs lost none. Then we have had to attempt to recover/rebuild, from drafts where the new clubs have already picked the eyes out of the player pools.

The AFL had no qualms about providing massive overly generous conditions to GC and GWS in order to insure that they will be [more than] competitive very quickly.
As I said if they are genuine regarding equalization, there appears no reason why they should not be generous [ if not overly generous] with struggling clubs that have been put at a significant disadvantage by having to rebuild from these seriously compromised drafts.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Being over simplistic, I think PP should be handed out only if the club is in basket case territory. While our last 20 games haven't been great, I'm not sure i would call us a basket case. Dees n Giants on the other hand....

Ghost Dog
26-05-2013, 06:20 PM
No I don't think so at all. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. We just need to remind the AFL of our case. You might see it as sooky but I'm surprised that you do.

I think it works our way if the commentators are bullish about our development of younger players. As the opening post details, there has never been a better time for a talented young player to come to our club as we really have a well resourced the football department that focuses on development and next year we even field our own VFL side.
I think this is exactly what would appeal to the AFL and they should see it as a positive. If they grant a PP to us it won't be wasted.

If you look at all the factors that have been detailed then I think we qualify. We just need to remind the AFL that the mechanism to consider a PP to a club is still there. Let them explain why we shouldn't be considered.

It's a bit harder in hindsight. while Ward is playing well, GWS are not on anyone's radar and his performance has gone pretty much unnoticed here in Melbourne. I have no problems us getting a priority pick if we are qualified. But imagine if Melbourne mounted a public campaign to get one. Bad look. Internally, I think they should cry foul and bang on as many doors as need be.

GVGjr
26-05-2013, 06:28 PM
It's a bit harder in hindsight. while Ward is playing well, GWS are not on anyone's radar and his performance has gone pretty much unnoticed here in Melbourne. I have no problems us getting a priority pick if we are qualified. But imagine if Melbourne mounted a public campaign to get one. Bad look. Internally, I think they should cry foul and bang on as many doors as need be.

I don't think the media think we are out of place to be considered for a PP this year but I'm confident they think Melbourne wouldn't qualify because they haven't got their act together on or off the field.
The Dees also got fully compensated for the loss of Scully and escaped a tanking claim by the skin of their teeth.

I believe the clubs job is to put the ball into the AFL's hands and see why they think we shouldn't be considered.

Ghost Dog
26-05-2013, 06:41 PM
I don't think the media think we are out of place to be considered for a PP this year but I'm confident they think Melbourne wouldn't qualify because they haven't got their act together on or off the field.
The Dees also got fully compensated for the loss of Scully and escaped a tanking claim by the skin of their teeth.

I believe the clubs job is to put the ball into the AFL's hands and see why they think we shouldn't be considered.

Respect that view. However, with the encroachment of soccer, rugby and other forms of sport, I'm fairly certain the AFL will be looking at us to strengthen their hold on the Western Suburbs regardless of where we finish. We may not get a priority pick. Have no doubt they will look at a range of ways to compensate us. As mentioned, stadium deals and other equalization are money in the bank. Picks are always a roll of the dice. J Grant says hello.

soupman
27-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Being over simplistic, I think PP should be handed out only if the club is in basket case territory. While our last 20 games haven't been great, I'm not sure i would call us a basket case. Dees n Giants on the other hand....

Wouldn't call them "basket case", they're tracking just as well as GC have and have about 40 first round draft picks on the list.

I think melbourne has shown that picks alone don't save a club from basket case territory, you clearly need the off field stuff to be right for them to be effective. In my view the PP isn't a hail mary "save the club" type move, but an equilisation measure. It is there to ensure that clubs don't fall into the hole of being continually pathetic, and to try and ensure it is an even competition. I think we have a strong case that we have the potential to be a competitive side, but a PP would help us take that next step.

Just as an aside could we also argue that the extra player we get through the PP would help ensure that our club does continue to improve. The last thing the AFL wants is another Melbourne.

F'scary
27-05-2013, 01:19 PM

Have you heard that Melbourne Football Club is changing its nickname from the "Demons" to "Road Freight?"

LostDoggy
27-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Much as it erks me I can't see how the AFL can avoid giving Melbourne Priority Club picks this year.

- They are rapidly becoming the new old fitzroy
- They've been down since 2006 - their own fault but not their membership bases fault
- AFLPA will lose their shizzle if you can't give players at a team any hope - particularly when new kids are being drafted under the current draft rules which make it tricky for kids to pack their bags and go to a great club like the dogs

I'd suggest the AFLPA will be watching this one very closely.

It'll be build the club or fold it in the next 5 years so they have to act pretty much

ALL of which itches my irritable bone because it likely means GWS and Melbourne will both get priority picks and because we are only quite shizen and not total road freight (thanks F'scary) we will get far less.

LostDoggy
27-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Was is it pathetic?

It is pathetic that the club Garlick didnt jump up and down when the compensation was announced. If this happened to Collingwood, you could bet you life that Eddie would be letting the world know they had been ripped off ....... he would have the media in a frenzy. But we did bugger all.

18 months later, and Gilbs has the foresight to at least say something in public. I hope every Bulldogs supporter on here has written tot he AFL because I have.

Ghost Dog
27-05-2013, 10:43 PM
It is pathetic that the club Garlick didnt jump up and down when the compensation was announced. If this happened to Collingwood, you could bet you life that Eddie would be letting the world know they had been ripped off ....... he would have the media in a frenzy. But we did bugger all.

18 months later, and Gilbs has the foresight to at least say something in public. I hope every Bulldogs supporter on here has written tot he AFL because I have.

Why is restraint such an undervalued quality in life?
Just because the papers don't report it, doesn't mean we haven't been jumping up and down behind closed doors.

bornadog
27-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Why is restraint such an undervalued quality in life?
Just because the papers don't report it, doesn't mean we haven't been jumping up and down behind closed doors.

and that is how our club is playing it.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Looking less likely with every week.

soupman
02-06-2013, 02:56 PM
No chance at this rate.

Go_Dogs
02-06-2013, 03:02 PM
No chance at this rate.

The facts remain that we have been underpaid for compensation of young players we've lost (Ward & Harbrow), we've been down the bottom in compromised drafts and have missed out on the picks we otherwise would have and we're clearly moving in the right direction on/off field - but to ensure we become a competitive force again more quickly we still need some assistance.

If we end up with 6/7 wins for the season, which is looking quite likely at the moment, we may not have a chance but really, we've done that despite what has been a massive hit to our club. It just shows we're a club that is doing all it can under trying circumstances as opposed to Melbourne who will more than likely just ruin another young stars career if they're handed a PP.

Ghost Dog
02-06-2013, 07:10 PM
Can I ask what kind of compensation people would see equating a priority pick?
There has to be other ways of creating 100% surety that the measure will make us equal.
With this sport, injuries can see a club robbed of any advantage and we're back to square one.

Go_Dogs
02-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Can I ask what kind of compensation people would see equating a priority pick?
There has to be other ways of creating 100% surety that the measure will make us equal.
With this sport, injuries can see a club robbed of any advantage and we're back to square one.

End of first round or directly after the relevant sides second round selection would be my guess. No way they'll give out the very early picks.

firstdogonthemoon
02-06-2013, 07:38 PM
The way the Sts are getting flogged by North at the moment, we might have to donate our priority pick to them.

soupman
02-06-2013, 09:53 PM
The facts remain that we have been underpaid for compensation of young players we've lost (Ward & Harbrow), we've been down the bottom in compromised drafts and have missed out on the picks we otherwise would have and we're clearly moving in the right direction on/off field - but to ensure we become a competitive force again more quickly we still need some assistance.

I agree with all your points but the AFL won't look at it that way. I want a PP and I think we are very deserving candidates for one, but I doubt the AFL will see it that way.

The AFL will look at it as "Can we convince the public that this PP is warranted".

They won't be able to justify it if we win 5-6 games, because we won't be in the worst couple of sides.
They won't use the moving in the right direction reason because then Port Adelaide gets one too, and so does any other young side that shows improvement.
They can''t give one to us for getting our act together off field because every other club would want one too.
And they can't use "they got robbed by the Ward/Harbrow compensation" because that would be saying they got it wrong in the first place, which just will not happen.

The only way they can sell it is if they point to us being non-competitive on field, with the above factors maybe helping the argument along a little. Without this key point they have a very weak justification to give us a pity pick.

Go_Dogs
02-06-2013, 09:58 PM
The only way they can sell it is if they point to us being non-competitive on field, with the above factors maybe helping the argument along a little. Without this key point they have a very weak justification to give us a pity pick.

Definitely agree with your post and it's probably a fair assessment the AFL will look at how they can sell it rather than the practical merits of any club.

I guess we must wait and see how the balance of the season pans out and take it from there.

Ghost Dog
02-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Soupaman, very good summation. The horse has bolted, and is rolling in a gold plated stable in Western Sydney.

bulldogtragic
17-06-2013, 06:38 PM
I'd like to make a request of the AFL to consider making a Priority Pick available for the Western Bulldogs at this years draft.

We have a few from the media and the AFL that visit the site so I'd like them to consider the following:

- The Bulldogs are in a rebuilding phase after a number of years of being a very competitive outfit. The downside of this is that we have bottomed out too quickly.

- We will experience a 2nd year in the bottom bracket of the competition.

- Membership levels have certainly been impacted by our poor on field performances however, the one thing that does excite the members is the introduction of exciting younger players into the senior squad.

- Members have embraced the youth of the club and are genuinely excited by the potential of the likes of Roughead, Jones, Dahlhaus, Johannisen, Liberatore, Wallis, Smith, Talia, Stringer, Macrae and Hrovat.

Other considerations:

- The club has invested significantly in adding resources to the football department. Younger players at the club now or arriving at the club in the near future will certainly benefit with the development opportunities this will provide.

- The club is also fielding it's own VFL side in 2014 which is another significant investment and this will also provide the younger players at the club the opportunity to learn how to play AFL football.

- We got short changed in the Callan Ward compensation. Ward is clearly the main player for the GWS side and is already their captain. This was on top of losing Jarrod Harbrow the season before who was an emerging player destined for a long career at the club.

- The two new clubs have dominated the drafts for the last 3 years which has put the Bulldogs at a distinct disadvantage. Both GC and GWS certainly needed the draft concessions to kick off their clubs as much as we do now to reinvigorate ours.

- The club is heading in the right direction with a productive board and a united and well resourced football department.

In summary, the AFL has been very supportive of the Western Bulldogs however, we do need a push by the AFL to provide us with a Priority Pick this year which will do wonders for our membership base and provide more reasons for our fans to join up.

The club simply can't afford to slip back any further and become irrelevant in the AFL so we certainly need their support in helping us get back on track.
Obviously Peter was too busy to read your thread or fundamentally disagrees with your arguments. Moot point now. (See dogs day article)

GVGjr
17-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Obviously Peter was too busy to read your thread or fundamentally disagrees with your arguments. Moot point now. (See dogs day article)

I think he has made an error in declaring that we shouldn't be considered. A loss to Melbourne or GWS in the coming weeks will test the resolve of the supporters.

The one thing I'm very confident with is that the majority of our supporters want to rally around quality draft picks coming into our club and I think a PP would give us a huge marketing opportunity to sell that vision of the rebuild to the supporters.

bulldogtragic
17-06-2013, 09:20 PM
I think he has made an error in declaring that we shouldn't be considered. A loss to Melbourne or GWS in the coming weeks will test the resolve of the supporters.

The one thing I'm very confident with is that the majority of our supporters want to rally around quality draft picks coming into our club and I think a PP would give us a huge marketing opportunity to sell that vision of the rebuild to the supporters.
Can't fault a word of that. Makes me wonder of the intention of PG...

The Bulldogs Bite
17-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Whether you agree with the basis of priority picks or not, I think it's foolish by PG to come out and say what he did given our situation.

Why wouldn't we try and go after a PP? For all the reasons listed in this thread and more, regardless of what we think of the system?

An article like this is shooting yourself in the foot.

comrade
18-06-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm happy not to get a PP if it means other clubs don't either, namely basket cases like Melbourne.

PG obviously went on the offensive to try and hose down the talk that Melbourne have asked for 2 picks in this year's draft.

wimberga
18-06-2013, 01:59 PM
We can all agree that PP are NOT the answer to being a poor team but they do help.

However, in the interests of equality across the league, I agree with Peter that there should not be PP AND that every team should have the same salary cap guaranteed.

GVGjr
18-06-2013, 07:10 PM
We can all agree that PP are NOT the answer to being a poor team but they do help.

However, in the interests of equality across the league, I agree with Peter that there should not be PP AND that every team should have the same salary cap guaranteed.

There is nothing wrong with what Gordon said I just question the timing of it. If we lose to GWS and a regenerated Melbourne we will have backed ourselves into a corner.

Dancin' Douggy
18-06-2013, 08:24 PM
I would kill for a PP. I'm a Gordon backer and we probably weren't gonna get one but.......... sheesh, he could have kept the powder dry on this one!

GVGjr
23-06-2013, 12:13 PM
A few threads got bumped after yesterdays loss so I thought I'd just add a bit more to this.

There is a real gap in the AFL at the moment. Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and StKilda are in the bottom bracket and really a long way off the rest of the competition. Sure you could add GWS to that group but with all their first round picks they have on their list they will come good very soon much in the same way that the GC Suns have. At the very least I think the AFL is comfortable with their progress and position.

If we look at Melbourne we all have to concede that they aren't in a good position. They have a number of first round draft picks on their list, they have acquired two KPP in Clarke and Dawes but they have been poorly managed for a few years now and the AFL has stepped in and given them access to a proven performer in Peter Jackson who will chart their course in the right direction. They need a better football department to train the youngsters theright way.
What Melbourne need is an increase in spend on the football department and the ability to acquire a free agent.

The Saints are bottoming out much like we have. They still have a number of A grade players but have to go build on their list through the draft.

Back to the Dogs, to me we have the fundamentals in place, a good board, a well resourced coaching team and a terrific training centre. Our playing list is taking shape and given we will field our own VFL side nest year we should expect to see further development of the younger players.

The problems we face are similar to Melbourne with regards to membership and our impact to the competition with poor crowd attendance. We also have some similarities with the Saints because we need to manage the transition from our experienced players (Gia, Cross, Boyd and Murphy) to the emerging talent much like they do.

The crux of what I'm seeing, which was again underlined by our poor performance against Richmond, is that if we lose more of our membership base next season we will probably need to go to the AFL and seek further financial assistance.

The next two weeks are vital for us. If we lose to Melbourne or GWS then I think the impacts to our membership numbers next year will be significant.

I still believe that the proactive position for both our club and the AFL is to revisit the Priority Pick option. It's still our greatest selling point with our fans and at the moment we need to believe we can turn things around.

LostDoggy
23-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Watched Gill McLachlan on AFL Gameday this morning. Looks foregone tht the AFL will give Melbourne a priority pick. If we end up 3rd last and don't get one that would be heartbreaking as I still think we are in exactly the same boat as Melb at the moment listwise. They have good kids already on their list just not the same decent older talent in the Murphy/Griffen/Gia mould that are helping us get by. They have already fixed their forward line from 2014 and will go past us pretty fast if we can't find a way to do the same. I still see our 2014 as likely being our worst year. I can live with that as we have had a good 3 years of drafting but I can't live with Melbourne getting even more picks and our vocallity (if there is such a word) backing us into a corner where we don't. We need to fight for any advantage we can get at the moment. Simply not in a position to do anything other than be selfish on this issue. Its unfair to our loyal, longsuffering members to do otherwise.

FWIW, it seems to me the team in the most trouble in the next 3 years is the Saints. Think they will be a distant last in the not too far off future.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Watched Gill McLachlan on AFL Gameday this morning. Looks foregone tht the AFL will give Melbourne a priority pick. If we end up 3rd last and don't get one that would be heartbreaking as I still think we are in exactly the same boat as Melb at the moment listwise. They have good kids already on their list just not the same decent older talent in the Murphy/Griffen/Gia mould that are helping us get by. They have already fixed their forward line from 2014 and will go past us pretty fast if we can't find a way to do the same. I still see our 2014 as likely being our worst year. I can live with that as we have had a good 3 years of drafting but I can't live with Melbourne getting even more picks and our vocallity (if there is such a word) backing us into a corner where we don't. We need to fight for any advantage we can get at the moment. Simply not in a position to do anything other than be selfish on this issue. Its unfair to our loyal, longsuffering members to do otherwise.

[B]FWIW, it seems to me the team in the most trouble in the next 3 years is the Saints. Think they will be a distant last in the not too far off future.
[/B
Agree. The Saints are just an injury away to Riewoldt from having a non functioning forward line.

GVGjr
23-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Watched Gill McLachlan on AFL Gameday this morning. Looks foregone tht the AFL will give Melbourne a priority pick. If we end up 3rd last and don't get one that would be heartbreaking as I still think we are in exactly the same boat as Melb at the moment listwise. They have good kids already on their list just not the same decent older talent in the Murphy/Griffen/Gia mould that are helping us get by. They have already fixed their forward line from 2014 and will go past us pretty fast if we can't find a way to do the same. I still see our 2014 as likely being our worst year.

This is my concern. Providing Melbourne with a PP won't help them. What will help them is a better funded football department. If the AFL really wants to assist then they should throw them $500,000 towards some more coaching resources which will help develop players they already have. Melbourne should be able to get a good assistant coach and 2 or 3 specialist coaches for that sort of money.

The spark that we need is getting our members to sign up and I'm sure an advertising campaign that focuses on the youth at the club and their development is exactly what we need to do. A PP this year rather than financial assistance in 2014 fits perfectly into that.

bornadog
24-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Demons under fire on picks (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/demons-under-fire-on-picks-20130623-2oqup.html)

The AFL could be on a collision course with disgruntled clubs over whether to give embattled Melbourne another priority pick at season's end.
Tensions could be set to rise after league deputy chief Gillon McLachlan admitted on Sunday there was a strong case to give the Demons another free shot at a young player ahead of other teams.

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon became the latest club figure to voice concerns about the merit behind giving Melbourne another high draft pick to add its top 25 picks it has on its list from extra selections in recent years.]

Gordon's stance follows that made by Richmond president Gary March, who has urged the AFL not to give the Demons any more draft assistance, and also Carlton president Stephen Kernahan, who wants the priority pick scrapped altogether.

Gordon disagrees with Kernahan in that respect, believing the priority pick to be a worthy ''mechanism for equalisation'', but the Dogs leader said he would be ''very surprised'' if the AFL could mount an argument that Melbourne deserved an extra pick ahead of other non-expansion teams in the bottom part of the ladder.
Gordon said he believed Melbourne's list was not as bad as other observers had rated, and therefore giving the club another high
draft pick on top of the selection it is likely to obtain by finishing near the bottom this year was unnecessary.

Gordon said clubs like St Kilda, Brisbane Lions and the Western Bulldogs were just as worthy as Melbourne of a priority pick.
Although he drew a distinction between those clubs, and Greater Western Sydney and Gold Coast, saying the expansions teams had already received enough draft assistance.
He said he did not believe Melbourne had ''wasted'' the priority picks it had received in the past.

''Priority picks are a mechanism for improving the quality of a team from a three to eight-year period, from the time in which the choice is exercised,'' Gordon said on Sunday.
''When you think through that theory, Melbourne's management and fans would have some cause for optimism in respect to their list, because they genuinely do have a large number of quality kids. .
''You only have to rattle off the names - [Jack] Viney, [Jimmy] Toumpas, [Jesse] Hogan - and they are going to get another high first-round choice again this year.
''I don't think Melbourne's list is qualitatively worse, in terms of the 23 and under players, than most of the competition.
''So accordingly, if I were a commissioner, I would not be making an exception of Melbourne.
''I would use it to accelerate greater equality of the entire bottom quartile of the competition.''

McLachlan said Melbourne's prolonged poor performance on field, among other factors, meant there was a ''pretty strong'' argument that the Demons were in need of a priority pick.
''The discretion sits there for clubs that need hope and when the assessment is that they are rock bottom on the field,'' McLachlan said on Channel Seven on Sunday.
''They [the commission] will weight that up.

''But I think you could mount a case where they have been over the last couple of years, that there is a pretty strong argument.''
Legend player and coach Leigh Matthews said on Sunday that he believed Melbourne should receive a priority pick.
McLachlan also reiterated the AFL's stance that the league felt ''entitled'' to have a view on who should be the next coach of Melbourne.

The prevailing view in and outside of Melbourne is that the club needs an experienced coach.
Melbourne has revealed it has approached former Sydney coach Paul Roos about the job.
Former Port Adelaide premiership coach Mark Williams and former Bulldogs and Swans coach Rodney Eade are also considered strong candidates.
Even though it appears the job will go to one of Roos, Williams or Eade, former Fremantle coach Mark Harvey effectively threw his name into the mix on Sunday by declaring he still had a ''burning desire'' to coach at senior level.

McLachlan said the AFL would have a say in the decision of who would take over from caretaker coach Neil Craig.
''If we are going to be putting the money in there that we have been asked to … through every appointment in the club, we'll have a view on that,'' McLachlan said.
''We've certainly had a view on [chief executive] Peter Jackson, and I think we would have a view on the coach
''Ultimately, the club has to own that appointment, but I think we are entitled to a view on that.''

bulldogtragic
24-06-2013, 05:22 PM
The bookies would have the PP favourite to go to Melbourne wouldn't they?? I would have thought so.

The Underdog
24-06-2013, 05:38 PM
So they'll reward Melbourne with the one thing they've shown no ability to use correctly and because they couldn't even fail the right way.

Remi Moses
24-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Because they have no formula for a PP, we get policy on the run .
Under the old system we qualified for one last season, and on target for one this season.
Complete farce !! We're 8 from 34

LostDoggy
24-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Totally cool to give both clubs an end of round 1 pick. If they give to Melb and not to us it's a joke. The saints haven't been through the pain yet to qualify but we certainly have.

GVGjr
24-06-2013, 11:15 PM
I think Peter Gordon got this spot on. Melbourne simply don't need a PP but would benefit greatly from additional funding for their football department more than a PP.

Our needs are very different.

boydogs
24-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Gordon disagrees with Kernahan in that respect, believing the priority pick to be a worthy ''mechanism for equalisation''

Interesting, following his earlier comments on here about returning to an untampered draft

GVGjr
24-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Interesting, following his earlier comments on here about returning to an untampered draft

The intent of that comment is a very reasonable view but considering all things aren't equal, a PP can be in part used to keep the competion from a 'haves' and 'have nots' scenario.

I think the club sees that making a PP to Melbourne isn't productive for the competition.

Greystache
24-06-2013, 11:27 PM
I think Peter Gordon got this spot on. Melbourne simply don't need a PP but would benefit greatly from additional funding for their football department more than a PP.

Our needs are very different.

There was an article on the weekend saying if player payments are excluded then Melbourne spends more on its football department than Hawthorn. Is it really lack of funding that's hurting them or is it just that they have too many people not up to the job?

Remi Moses
25-06-2013, 12:58 AM
There was an article on the weekend saying if player payments are excluded then Melbourne spends more on its football department than Hawthorn. Is it really lack of funding that's hurting them or is it just that they have too many people not up to the job?

That is just staggering to be honest.
No wonder the AFL have taken over.
Heard Iron Mike Sheehan say it may not be the case that the Dees get a priority pick.

GVGjr
25-06-2013, 07:56 AM

The development of the players seems to be lacking and from what I was told Melbourne wasn't well resourced. If it's not the case then maybe they do need a PP.

FrediKanoute
25-06-2013, 08:03 AM
The situation is a farce. Having an "arbitrary" situation is a response to the actions of certain clubs who chose to deliberately abuse the system. The systematic formula wasn't perfect, but at least it removed the arbitrary ability of the AFL to interfere.

As is usual with AFL, they overcompensate when they perceive a problem.

LostDoggy
25-06-2013, 09:08 AM
The situation is a farce. Having an "arbitrary" situation is a response to the actions of certain clubs who chose to deliberately abuse the system. The systematic formula wasn't perfect, but at least it removed the arbitrary ability of the AFL to interfere.

Ok great! Lets become a major problem for them then. Happy to be overcompensated for once. We have the right President to become a major thorn in the AFL's backside. Solid track record for agitating :)

boydogs
25-06-2013, 10:15 PM

It's not completely arbitrary, there are a set of guidelines they published that show the criteria they apply when making the decision.

It wasn't just for abuse either, the West Coast one was a perfect example of what they are trying to avoid - a team having a bad year with injuries, unlucky losses etc. that is in the mix for finals the year before and the year after.

LostDoggy
25-06-2013, 11:36 PM
There could be an argument made for Melb to get a priority pick 1, and depending on final results; ourselves, Brissie or Saints getting pick two or three before the Giants get a true pick in the draft. There is certainly plenty of precident and that would, intreguingly, put Boyd back on the table. This is a fairly important decision the AFL need to work through as it sets a foundation for the next few years now the formally compromised drafts are finished.

bornadog
26-06-2013, 04:07 PM
McCartney against draft aid for Demons (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mccartney-against-draft-aid-for-demons-20130626-2owa1.html)+

Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney has united with Brisbane counterpart Michael Voss in opposing AFL draft assistance for struggling rivals Melbourne.
The Demons, who face the Bulldogs at the MCG on Saturday night, have requested a priority pick and AFL deputy chief executive Gillon McLachlan said on Sunday there was a strong argument they should get one.

But Voss has said it's disturbing that Melbourne might get that help when other rebuilding clubs, such as his own and the Bulldogs, had battled without assistance through drafts compromised by the creation of Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney.

McCartney joined the fight on Wednesday, voicing complete agreement.
"I don't think I could have said it any better myself," the Bulldogs coach told reporters.

"It has been a difficult journey at times, not impossible, but a difficult journey the past 24 months for teams that have been rebuilding a fair bit of their team.
"We're one of those clubs through two years where some outstanding young talent has gone to two clubs.
"That was the system, that is the system, we were all coherent to that and it's pretty important that people understand that.
"But he worded it really well."

It follows Bulldogs president Peter Gordon's call last week for priority picks to be scrapped altogether.
The 16th-placed Bulldogs, who have won just three games so far this season, face a crucial next two rounds, with matches against the only two teams below them - the Demons and Giants.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm glad BMac thinks were so far away from PP territory.

LostDoggy
29-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Going out on a limb here, but if we get don't get a PP, neither should Melbourne....

LostDoggy
29-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Wasn't our timing on THIS issue unfortunate.....

GVGjr
29-06-2013, 11:03 PM
There is nothing wrong with what Gordon said I just question the timing of it. If we lose to GWS and a regenerated Melbourne we will have backed ourselves into a corner.

Wasn't our timing on THIS issue unfortunate.....

I actually predicted this.

LostDoggy
29-06-2013, 11:12 PM

Kind of there with ya :)

Greystache
29-06-2013, 11:26 PM
It was a bizarre thing to say at the time and it's even worse after today.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Which makes it sting even more. PG started the year saying we would lose heavily, then after a few close wins over questionable opposition, he doesn't think we would lose again. And we are meant to be the uninformed critics....

I don't recall Smorgo making such a foot in mouth mistake.

LostDoggy
29-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Pretty sure the criteria includes;
- number of and consistency of loses
- history of flags and recent wins thereof
- the need to provide supporters and members with hope for the future

Pretty sure that is
- us
- us
- us

I'm going to pull the term "mistake of EPIC proportions" back out of my kit bag and practice it in preparation of the AGM...

GVGjr
29-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Which makes it sting even more. PG started the year saying we would lose heavily, then after a few close wins over questionable opposition, he doesn't think we would lose again. And we are meant to be the uninformed critics....

I don't recall Smorgo making such a foot in mouth mistake.

There is nothing wrong with what Peter Gordon said. The principle of what he is saying I think most would agree to but I still believe we need to be proactive about our need to be considered for a priority pick this year rather than financial assistance at the end of 2014.

We need memberships and I'm confident the push for new members has to be linked with developing youngsters. I think GC gets a pick at the end of the first round this year and they have had a number of first round picks since they started. We really need a pick at the end of the first round.

bulldogtragic
30-06-2013, 12:43 AM
There is nothing wrong with what Peter Gordon said. The principle of what he is saying I think most would agree to but I still believe we need to be proactive about our need to be considered for a priority pick this year rather than financial assistance at the end of 2014.

We need memberships and I'm confident the push for new members has to be linked with developing youngsters. I think GC gets a pick at the end of the first round this year and they have had a number of first round picks since they started. We really need a pick at the end of the first round.
I know you can, but imagine landing Tom Boyd, a gun mid and one or two big names is FA. We could build genuine excitement to overcome our current stench. But it's moot.

Ghost Dog
01-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Took an important step toward your goal on the weekend eh GVG? :D

GVGjr
01-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Took an important step toward your goal on the weekend eh GVG? :D

I'd rather string 3 or 4 wins together but if that doesn't happen then we need to proactive with stating our case now.