PDA

View Full Version : It's time the Bulldogs showed some bite by Brad Hardie

Bulldog4life
21-05-2013, 11:44 AM
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/blogs/harden-up/its-time-the-bulldogs-showed-some-bite-20130520-2jvyi.html

Saturday's loss to the Gold Coast was the last straw for me - the Western Bulldogs need to get rid of coach Brendan McCartney immediately.

And that should be just the first step in a major overhaul of the club's football operations.

People can call me a bitter former player if they like. I don't care. Because the raw facts are these: the Bulldogs have won one of the past 19 games and their five wins before that came against Melbourne, GWS, North Melbourne, Gold Coast and Port Adelaide.

Melbourne might be stealing most of the headlines at the moment but the Dogs' situation is just as perilous.
Advertisement

You can forget about having five-year plans to get the club back on its feet. Ron Barassi instituted a five-year plan at Melbourne in the 1980s and 30 years later it still hasn't come to fruition.

The Bulldogs are strapped for cash and don't have five years in any case. They are becoming more irrelevant by the day and if things keep going the way they are, they are headed for a relegation system the AFL doesn't even have.

Enough is enough. Here's my blueprint for what has to happen at the Whitten Oval:

McCartney out: Brendan McCartney might have a reputation as a great development coach but that doesn't make him a good senior coach. He's trying to turn inside players into outside players and vice versa on what is unfortunately a pretty poor list. The Dogs need an established coach who can handle pressure and sell the club - Mark Williams, who won a flag with Port and is currently an assistant at Richmond, springs to mind.

Go West: Scott West has experience as an assistant coach at Melbourne and is now coach of Werribee. He's a Bulldog through and through - something the club clearly needs.

Take the Micky: Mick Moylan was at Mark Williams' side when Port won the lot in 2004 and he's expert in the field of recruiting and list management. He's currently working as a scout for West Coast and would be a great complement to current Dogs list manager Jason McCartney.

Have a crack at Cooky: It might be a long shot but Brian Cook very nearly went to North Melbourne from Geelong and the Bulldogs need to at least ask the question as well.

The big four: Get Chris Grant, Doug Hawkins, Brad Johnson and Barry Hall on board and promote the life out of the club.

The Dogs have made plenty of mistakes in the recent past. James Fantasia was supposed to be the architect of a Bulldogs revival but things are no better than when he arrived and the architect jumped ship pretty quickly once Hawthorn came calling.

Rodney Eade should never have been sacked as coach.

The Dogs are spending their require 92 per cent of the salary cap and, looking at the teams they are putting out on the park, it's a pretty fair question to ask where the money is going.

But the worst mistake the Bulldogs can be make - and it's one I'm worried they are making - is to accept the current situation and be happy to build slowly.

It doesn't have to be that way. You only have to look at Port Adelaide, which might not play finals in 2013 but already has five wins so far this year, to see how quickly a club can turn things around on and off the field.

We were never a rich club when I was at Footscray in the 1980s. But we were a proud one.

The Bulldogs need to rediscover some of that pride pretty smartly. I'm afraid their very existence is at stake.

Maddog37
21-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Gees that reads like someone hoping that if they throw enough mud some of it might stick.

Couple of good points but this fella really is all about himself and for me that shines through in nearly everything he writes.

Greystache
21-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Kyle Sandilands of football, just get yourself a headline, quality is irrelevant.

DragzLS1
21-05-2013, 12:21 PM
I like teh way he didnt point out PORT played GWS, Melb and GC int he first 3 rounds. Anyhow a major overhall is not the solution we already started this rebuild 2-3 years ago so ill stick with it for the next 18months to see how it pans out. Rather then starting all over again.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-05-2013, 12:23 PM
wow what a load of garbage.

look for quick fixes to get us 6-10 wins a season for a few years.

Greystache
21-05-2013, 02:08 PM
I can't believe he forgot to throw in "and go and get Fevola", that would've been the final piece in the desk thumping short sighted footy fan puzzle.

Scorlibo
21-05-2013, 02:12 PM
It's mostly sensationalist, but the bit that sticks with me is with the pride, the winning culture of the club. We've lost our way in this respect - we can't accept mediocrity on the premise that we'll improve down the track. A winning culture is more important than everything else in football.

mjp
21-05-2013, 02:19 PM
I like teh way he didnt point out PORT played GWS, Melb and GC int he first 3 rounds.

Ummmm....we just played Gold Coast. It didn't turn out so well.

Happy Days
21-05-2013, 02:59 PM
It's mostly sensationalist, but the bit that sticks with me is with the pride, the winning culture of the club. We've lost our way in this respect - we can't accept mediocrity on the premise that we'll improve down the track. A winning culture is more important than everything else in football.

We've been the best team in the competition precisely one time in almost 90 years, what winning culture are you referring to?

AndrewP6
21-05-2013, 03:59 PM
We've been the best team in the competition precisely one time in almost 90 years, what winning culture are you referring to?

I'm fairly sure it refers to the one we don't have..

bornadog
21-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Brad makes some good points. I for one am sick of losing matches.

AndrewP6
21-05-2013, 06:45 PM
I think he's made some valid points.

Maddog37
21-05-2013, 08:57 PM
The only points I feel have merit were about Cook and Moylan. We should build from where we are not start again again.

Remi Moses
22-05-2013, 12:56 AM
He makes a few points that are valid I guess.
Scott West has been terrible at Werribee ( they recruited heavily and been awful)
Mark Williams is cooked.
He might be right about McCartney( time will tell)
Mick Malthouse, I'd love to have back ( just a pipe dream)

FrediKanoute
22-05-2013, 06:27 AM
Brad makes some good points. I for one am sick of losing matches.

I agree. Not convinced we should sack Macca, but something neeeds to b e looked at and addessed, One problem I have with the 5 year rebuild is that in any other sport the strategy would be laughed at.....stability is important, but building a solid team that is moving in the right direction is also important.

We can't and shouldn't accept the status quo. There is no miracle cure I agree, but to blindly presume it will all be ok in 5 years is a massive leap of faith.....

LostDoggy
22-05-2013, 10:40 AM
I agree. Not convinced we should sack Macca, but something neeeds to b e looked at and addessed, One problem I have with the 5 year rebuild is that in any other sport the strategy would be laughed at.....stability is important, but building a solid team that is moving in the right direction is also important.

We can't and shouldn't accept the status quo. There is no miracle cure I agree, but to blindly presume it will all be ok in 5 years is a massive leap of faith.....

How would you achieve this if you were appointed senior coach tomorrow?

Bulldog4life
22-05-2013, 01:37 PM

I tend to agree. Melbourne did the 5 year rebuild with Ron Barassi.......enough said.

Jeanette54
22-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Perhaps we could commission an independent audit by a suitably qualified, and respected group. This group could look at the entire operation of the club, and make recommendations as to improvements in procedures and methods.

It would be one way to avoid the "group think" mentality which can pervade any organisation.

Mantis
22-05-2013, 02:11 PM
I tend to agree. Melbourne did the 5 year rebuild with Ron Barassi.......enough said.

What about Terry's 5 year plan at 9thmond... That turned out well.

Bulldog4life
22-05-2013, 02:19 PM

Forgot that one. 5 must be an unlucky number.:)...or it gives the coach something to fall back on.

Greystache
22-05-2013, 02:28 PM

3 letters; J-O-N!

Maddog37
22-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Maybe we should change ours to a 4 year plan!

Mantis
22-05-2013, 03:31 PM

It's atleast a 5 maybe even a 7yr plan according to Chris Grant.

Maddog37
22-05-2013, 03:40 PM
AS long as it is anything but 5!!!

w3design
22-05-2013, 05:08 PM
He lost me completely and irretrievably when he mentioned Williams.
Our current performances are unacceptable, that is for sure. But a panicked slash and burn will only achieve one thing ...A lot of smoke, followed by nothing but ashes.

This whole [ or could that be ..hole] ill-considered panic has such echoes of the witch hunt many at Geelong were trying to stir up in the year or two immediately before their era of greatness took off, it could be the script of a really bad soap opera.

Yes we need to get both of our teams right [ on field and off field], but ripping the guts out of everything in panicked fright and unreasoning hysteria will take us in only one direction, and that sure as hell is not forward or upward.

Mofra
22-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Hawks - second last in 2004, premiers in 2008.

I like the sound of a 4 year plan (although with GCS & GWS, situation is not normal).

FrediKanoute
23-05-2013, 08:38 AM
How would you achieve this if you were appointed senior coach tomorrow?

I have stated elsewhere that I think the problem is in one of three areas:

1) the message Macca is giving is not effective in getting through;
2) the players are hearing the mesage, but are unable/don't want to put the mesage into action; or
3) the message is wrong and the game has passed the strategy by.

If appointed tomorrrow I would try to determine which of these it is. I suspect that it is a combination of all three, but that 2) is a big part of the problem. I think what is overlooked is that guys like Murphy, Gia, Boyd, Cross, Griffin, Cooney and Morris are looking at the strategy being put forth and whilst accepting it as necessary are losing motivation, because the strategy demands that they play out the remainder of their careers in a side that is not competitive. Worse though a side that is being asked to be non-competitive. My first action would be to change this.

Teams are made up of people committed to a common cause. For footballers, the common cause is winning a flag. For young guys at the start of their careers they have their whole career ahead of them, so the urgency is not ther, it is as Macca preaches all about building the skills and strength and endurance necessary to compete. For the older guys though, helping the young guys by putting aside their aspirations must be a bitter pill to swallow, especially for guys like Griffin and Cooney. My second action would be to give back to these guys a measure of respect by setting the side up in such a way as both develops the young guys, but makes the team competitive. Initially this would be setting the side up in a way and with instructions that gives the team a fighting chance, but then at seasons end actively seeking to recruit players who will accelerate the rebuild.

My one clear statement though would be that no rebuild is going to take 5 years.