PDA

View Full Version : A MESSAGE FROM BRENDAN MCCARTNEY Round 8

bornadog
21-05-2013, 10:58 PM
21 May 2013

The side we played on Saturday were younger than us, and full credit to them, but they’re also a side, as I said last week, that on every line in the team there are two, if not three first round draft picks, and I think we are seeing a side in the Gold Coast Suns emerging very quickly.

There were crucial times in the game, namely an eight minute patch in the third quarter, where we just lapsed either defensively or we lost some composure with the ball. Instead of just taking easy options by hand or by foot, we rushed and gave the ball away, and that was disappointing.

What often happens after turning the ball over, is you have to fight tooth and nail to get the ball back, and we’re doing that, but it takes its toll. The by-product is always fatigue, which will lead to poorer decision making, and more mistakes being made. We have to put things in the right order — use the ball a bit better and be a bit smarter with the ball, which saves our legs, saves our conditioning and we can then endure the game a lot better. And that is our responsibility as the coaching group, and me in particular to help with.

We are going to show the players some edits this week in the review, of how you can make the game easier for yourself and your teammates. And nearly always, it’s just a simple little handball to the side, a simple short kick to the free player and then we can move the ball. Not radical steps, just very much about common sense.

Win, lose or draw, the number one responsibility of a coach and a coaching group is to drive standards and provide solutions — when you provide the solutions and give the players an opportunity at training, to work on it and then monitor and measure their progress, you will see improvement. Our players are learning the game, and some learn very quickly from good and bad experiences, and some take a bit longer.

We saw promising signs from some of our youngest players on the weekend in Jake and Jack at senior level, and some from VFL level. Nathan Hrovat, Lachlan Hunter and Fletcher Roberts are making terrific progress — and there are also a couple of older players that are really starting to build consistency of form at that level, and that is a good plank. An even more impressive thing is that some of our very youngest players, who were just brought to the club, are having big impacts in wins at Williamstown — you will see more of them in our senior team in the coming weeks.

The body language and morale of the playing group this week has been pretty consistent. And a lot of it is dependent on how we, the coaches, the support staff, the medical team and our conditioning team drive standards, but still provide support and empathy.

Our role as leaders at this club is, whatever the reality is and how brutal it is, we have to confront it — confront what we are not doing well and at the same time acknowledge what we are doing well. We have not lost sight of where we are going.

We are very clear about where we are going, we know exactly where we are at and we know how we are going to get there. The key now is strength and stability — I believe our players are closer than they realise. I can see how close they are to being able to play a full four quarter game.

I’ve said this before and I mean it — one thing we have really enjoyed this season is that our members and fans are noticeably on the journey with us, and are at our games being vocal and boisterous. It has lifted the players, and we need you again this week.

See you at the game.

Brendan McCartney

bornadog
21-05-2013, 11:52 PM
We saw promising signs from some of our youngest players on the weekend in Jake and Jack at senior level, and some from VFL level. Nathan Hrovat, Lachlan Hunter and Fletcher Roberts are making terrific progress — you will see more of them in our senior team in the coming weeks.

Can't wait to see these guys line up in the seniors.

The Doctor
22-05-2013, 12:14 AM
21 May 2013

Win, lose or draw, the number one responsibility of a coach and a coaching group is to drive standards and provide solutions

Brendan McCartney

How do you solve the problem if you're the cause of it?

LostDoggy
22-05-2013, 07:49 AM

Really? 1 guy is the cause of all our woes? Awesome. Lets just sack Bmac then. That'll fix the draft issues we have had, the fact we reached for a premiership and missed, the glaring age gaps in our list, the fact that our leadership groups minds are willing but many of their bodies just can't take it anymore. That's gunna be awesome then!!
O...hang on... no....no it won't. Still got the the same cattle issues with a long hill to climb..... Better get someone who can train these guys up I guess. Now I wonder who has a reputation as a strong development coach. Lets get that guy and give him some strong game day support in the box. That's a plan that might work.

LostDoggy
22-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Really? 1 guy is the cause of all our woes? Awesome. Lets just sack Bmac then. That'll fix the draft issues we have had, the fact we reached for a premiership and missed, the glaring age gaps in our list, the fact that our leadership groups minds are willing but many of their bodies just can't take it anymore. That's gunna be awesome then!!
O...hang on... no....no it won't. Still got the the same cattle issues with a long hill to climb..... Better get someone who can train these guys up I guess. Now I wonder who has a reputation as a strong development coach. Lets get that guy and give him some strong game day support in the box. That's a plan that might work.

Hehehe.

Maddog37
22-05-2013, 11:40 AM
I guess we can choose to listen to what the leaders of our club like Macca, PG and Granty say or we can buy into the bullshit being peddled by sensationalist media muppets like John Ralph who would have us believe we will not make finals for the next decade.

It has come to the point for me that I do not worry about results as I just get upset every weekend. I reckon we are now drafting well and the kids are ok. You cannot hurry the results and if we take short cuts in their development we will simply get lost along the way.

One thing I want is to not play blokes short of a gallop in the senior team. Goodes looked like a man that had been on the beach for two weeks and if they play Tom Williams straight up it will be a mistake.

Mantis
22-05-2013, 11:49 AM
One thing I want is to not play blokes short of a gallop in the senior team. Goodes looked like a man that had been on the beach for two weeks and if they play Tom Williams straight up it will be a mistake.

So why didn't he play at Williamstown on the weekend instead of going to GC as an emergency?

*!*!*!*!ing stupid.

The Pie Man
22-05-2013, 11:54 AM
So why didn't he play at Williamstown on the weekend instead of going to GC as an emergency?

*!*!*!*!ing stupid.

Yep - very frustrating

Maddog37
22-05-2013, 12:23 PM
The video of Griffs diary also appears to show the players questining why he was there too!

Maybe he was using the trip to catch up with family. Perhaps he was sitting in the coaches box to learn a bit about the game. Clutching at straws now.

I would love to know why too.

Mantis
22-05-2013, 12:52 PM
The video of Griffs diary also appears to show the players questining why he was there too!

Maybe he was using the trip to catch up with family. Perhaps he was sitting in the coaches box to learn a bit about the game. Clutching at straws now.

I would love to know why too.

We can only guess and say he was there in case of a late change.... Once he wasn't needed we should have put him on the 1st flight back so he could have a much needed run for Williamstown... He now hasn't played for 3 weeks (due to the VFL fixturing) which means we shouldn't be risking him this week, shame too becuase he would be handy.

Remi Moses
22-05-2013, 02:50 PM

Do you not read other threads about the Crap recruiting?
Of course all the problems are attributed to McCartney, aren't they?

Remi Moses
22-05-2013, 02:55 PM
We can only guess and say he was there in case of a late change.... Once he wasn't needed we should have put him on the 1st flight back so he could have a much needed run for Williamstown... He now hasn't played for 3 weeks (due to the VFL fixturing) which means we shouldn't be risking him this week, shame too becuase he would be handy.

He probably would have been in their development side the way things are.
Should have been playing some sort of footy last weekend.

soupman
22-05-2013, 03:14 PM

Completely agree. Baffling.

Murphy'sLore
22-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Not sure who the other emergencies were, but maybe they didn't want to get caught without a tall again,as happened when Cordy's back seized up a few weeks ago.

The Doctor
22-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Do you not read other threads about the Crap recruiting?
Of course all the problems are attributed to McCartney, aren't they?

We know all about the crap recruiting. It's been discussed to death.

What about crap coaching? Do you really think he is doing a good job?

LostDoggy
22-05-2013, 04:27 PM

Do you think Mooney and Scarlett would be here if Macca wasn't?

Have you seen the development in Libba, Jones, Roughead, JJ, Griffins game and others?

I'm still not sure whether he is the very best game day coach ever but I don't see how we can tell. Its mostly a bunch of 10 year olds stepping into a bar room brawl at the moment. He's pretty challenged with cattle he's got and what can be done to get the best out of their generic skill set vs the opposition each week.

Macca gets alot of ticks for me when you ignore the (horrible) emotion of losing each week.

I get why people need to vent and point the finger at someone though.

The Doctor
22-05-2013, 04:34 PM

Have you seen the development in Libba, Jones, Roughead, JJ, Griffins game and others?

I'm still not sure whether he is the very best game day coach ever but I don't see how we can tell. Its mostly a bunch of 10 year olds stepping into a bar room brawl at the moment. He's pretty challenged with cattle he's got and what can be done to get the best out of their generic skill set vs the opposition each week.

Macca gets alot of ticks for me when you ignore the (horrible) emotion of losing each week.

I agree some players are improving. Younger players will improve with more experience generally. Some will develop quicker with good coaching.

The reality is 1 win in 19 with not too many more in sight has him under the pump. I understand we have imbalances with our list but we still have some very good players and I don't think we are as bad a team as our recent win/loss ratio would suggest.

I'm wondering if his coaching style is a bit old school and the game has moved on and he hasn't caught up yet.

Mantis
22-05-2013, 04:55 PM

Are they good coaches?

Please tell me about the development of Jones, Libba & Griffen (with an 'E'), how are they better players than they were 2 years ago?

Remi Moses
22-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Not sure on Mooney or Scarlett.
Just a point on the second answer.
Jones had Barry Hall playing in the side 2 years ago.
Libba's a better player than 2 years ago.

Remi Moses
22-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Are they good coaches?

Please tell me about the development of Jones, Libba & Griffen (with an 'E'), how are they better players than they were 2 years ago?

Griffen with an E would be leading the B+F buy a country mile.
Haven't seen the last couple of weeks?
Liam Jones now gets the best defender, when some bloke called Hall got the best defender.

Remi Moses
22-05-2013, 05:15 PM

The crap recruiting that has been "Done to death " is the big reason why we're struggling at the moment. At this stage I couldn't give you a definitive call on his coaching at the moment.
Need to change up the game plan , no doubt. He'll get time, but in 12 months time and no improvement. Goneski

Mantis
22-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Libba's a better player than 2 years ago.

How is he a better player?

Ghost Dog
22-05-2013, 09:12 PM

There are some good players in this team. Not enough to do well, or always win, but enough to do much better than what we saw last week. That's why we're pretty concerned.

Absolutely must avoid a pasting against St Kilda. Need to use the ball much better, as he indicates.

LostDoggy
22-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Are they good coaches?

Sure seem to be teaching the guys alot. Jones isn't Buddy yet but if you can't see the improvement he and Roughead have made this year you've been trying not too. Both have attributed much of their visible time and space improvement to these two ex Geelong players.

Griffen (with an E), says more about my stubby fingers on an i-phone, was asked to play inside and outside and has done so with absolute class. He is a much more rounded player than he was previously and is considered by commentators outside the club as a genuine star. I've only heard that type of comment since he got his inside game going under macca.

Jones is still having patches (too many) of running under the flight but he's had some real impact this year. Tell me a game even in the first 6 months of last year he had a tangible hand in the result.

Libba is, ok Libba. I can't prove Macca has had a major influence but he's coming along nicely. What I do like is that we are holding Wallis accountable at the moment. I think he's at a cross roads where he could end up like for like with Boyd in both endevour (yeah!) and disposal (*££>^€! Eek). Sending him back to the magoos to work on areas is a really pleasing sign.

Remi Moses
22-05-2013, 10:32 PM
How is he a better player?

So you didn't see the six or seven games?
If they stopped the season then he'd be leading the B+F.
Wallis has been disappointing so far.

Topdog
22-05-2013, 10:50 PM

That would be the same cattle that won 5 out of 11 games before this 1 in 20 run?

soupman
22-05-2013, 11:39 PM
That would be the same cattle that won 5 out of 11 games before this 1 in 20 run?

At risk of damaging McCartneys reputation further 3 of those wins were against Gold Coast, Melbourne and GWS. So not too big a difference.

jeemak
23-05-2013, 12:05 AM
The big difference with Libba this year is that he's doing his best to hold the midfield together when others around him, like Boyd and Cross aren't having the same impact as they were in previous years, and Wallis is experiencing a lull in his development and subsequent output.

Looking at the numbers solely probably won't demonstrate a marked improvement in form, though coupling them with the decreased output around him will show you he's heading well and truly in the right direction.

Topdog
23-05-2013, 11:00 AM
At risk of damaging McCartneys reputation further 3 of those wins were against Gold Coast, Melbourne and GWS. So not too big a difference.

2 wins from 8 works out to be 5 from 20. A big difference IMO.

Mantis
23-05-2013, 12:55 PM
So you didn't see the six or seven games?
If they stopped the season then he'd be leading the B+F.
Wallis has been disappointing so far.

I've seen the games... Why is he a better player? What is he doing now that he wasn't doing 2 years ago?

From where I sit he is pretty much the same player, he is just stronger & fitter allowing him to spend more time on the ground.

Mantis
23-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Griffen (with an E), says more about my stubby fingers on an i-phone, was asked to play inside and outside and has done so with absolute class. He is a much more rounded player than he was previously and is considered by commentators outside the club as a genuine star. I've only heard that type of comment since he got his inside game going under macca.

What do you mean by rounded? I see him as the same player he was 3 to 5 years ago... But back then he was surrounded by good to very good players so he didn't stand out as much as he does now.

LostDoggy
23-05-2013, 01:26 PM
What do you mean by rounded? I see him as the same player he was 3 to 5 years ago... But back then he was surrounded by good to very good players so he didn't stand out as much as he does now.

Brings even more weapons to the team. He's always been a great asset flying down the wing kicking goals (v North and v Freo in '10) both spring immediately to mind. From my understanding macca challenged him to develop his inside game further which he (Griff) was challenged by but took on board. I think he has really strengthened that ability, expert commentators seem too as well, and so that's another tick for the coach for mine.

FWIW I don't think macca is/should be without blame or some accountability atm. I just don't subscribe to his having been instumentatal in our crappiness and I think he's probably the right guy to help us get back up. If we were top 4 I'd be looking far more closely at what he adds game day.