PDA

View Full Version : Back Brendan, don't pack him

Ghost Dog
25-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Counter to the other tread, and despite the hand wringing, what was the general expectation for time length and improvement when Brendan was appointed?

I like his general philosophy, and he's going to be learning too in the box. EG: Brendan's post game presser V suns - did admit the team had a poor few minutes in the coaching box in the third quarter. It was good to see a spade called a spade.
Back the coach, All it will take is a few scalps to get our confidence back and the wheels of the media spinning the other way.

The Underdog
25-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Brendan's demeanour in the press and consistent message has been impressive and he's gradually opened up and given more insight this season. Just wish there were some more positives to focus on. Getting the process right will lead to results, hopefully we've started on the right path.
And let's face it, as long as we have quality young men learning the right way to play, what more can we ask? :)

craigsahibee
25-05-2013, 10:03 AM
http://http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/who-would-you-rather-be-scott-watters-or-brendan-mccartney/story-fni5ezno-1226650246370

FWIW Gerard Whatley thinks we are on the right track and Brendan is the man for the job.

I agree. The Club has bought in to this, supporters need to do the same. It's been nearly 60 years, another 2 or 3 will not matter.

stefoid
25-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Everyone that talks to Maca ends up liking him. Lets face it, thats what coaches do - talk. And he apparently does it well, has the players onside, etc...

They also have to implement a winning game plan of course. The question is, are his ideas fossilized and past their use by date?

LostDoggy
25-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Everyone that talks to Maca ends up liking him. Lets face it, thats what coaches do - talk. And he apparently does it well, has the players onside, etc...

They also have to implement a winning game plan of course. The question is, are his ideas fossilized and past their use by date?

I think it's more that his ideas haven't had time enough to breathe yet. Give it time.

AndrewP6
25-05-2013, 12:02 PM

Said all the time in the media, means little.

AndrewP6
25-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Counter to the other tread, and despite the hand wringing, what was the general expectation for time length and improvement when Brendan was appointed?.

I thought after 18 months our general style of play and skill execution would (or should) have improved markedly.

Topdog
25-05-2013, 12:21 PM
1 things for sure hearing Neeld try to give the same message we at the very least have the better communicator and probably also someone who is more confident that it will work. I hope he is right

LostDoggy
25-05-2013, 12:25 PM
I thought after 18 months our general style of play and skill execution would (or should) have improved markedly.

Not when you are used to playing one way and all your instincts are to play that way, and you are being asked to play a way that is quite foreign to you. This will take time to sort out those who can and those who can't. And it will take time to inject the quality of player into the side who can do it consistently at the standard that's expected.

Cyberdoggie
25-05-2013, 12:59 PM
1 things for sure hearing Neeld try to give the same message we at the very least have the better communicator and probably also someone who is more confident that it will work. I hope he is right

Neeld does look like someone under a lot of pressure and is showing signs of it getting to him.
It's such a small thing but just looking at him after some of those bad losses in his press conference and seeing his facial twitches, he just looks like he's struggling.
Coaching is a hell of a job that's for sure.

AndrewP6
25-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Not when you are used to playing one way and all your instincts are to play that way, and you are being asked to play a way that is quite foreign to you. This will take time to sort out those who can and those who can't. And it will take time to inject the quality of player into the side who can do it consistently at the standard that's expected.

18 months... It's a hell of a long time for professional athletes. It's also long enough IMO to learn a "foreign" way of playing.

G-Mo77
25-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Neeld does look like someone under a lot of pressure and is showing signs of it getting to him.
It's such a small thing but just looking at him after some of those bad losses in his press conference and seeing his facial twitches, he just looks like he's struggling.

I'm assuming he's always had those twitches, if not then maybe it's time he moved on himself.

I'm in for the long haul. This list is a shambles and it's going to take a hell of a long time to get it back on track. Despite results I think we're on the right track and have the right guy to develop our players. The last thing I'd want to see this club do is make a hasty decision because of pressure from the media or impatient short sighted fans.

bornadog
25-05-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm assuming he's always had those twitches, if not then maybe it's time he moved on himself.

I'm in for the long haul. This list is a shambles and it's going to take a hell of a long time to get it back on track. Despite results I think we're on the right track and have the right guy to develop our players. The last thing I'd want to see this club do is make a hasty decision because of pressure from the media or impatient short sighted fans.

I don't agree our list is a shambles, perhaps it should have been in better shape and not hit rock bottom so quickly over the past couple of years. The reasons have been discussed many times, however we are slowly making progress and we have to work with what we have and make some good decisions at the end of the year.

LostDoggy
25-05-2013, 02:52 PM
18 months... It's a hell of a long time for professional athletes. It's also long enough IMO to learn a "foreign" way of playing.

Took them years to learn the old way.

LostDoggy
25-05-2013, 04:38 PM

Due to a broken jaw years ago. It is to do with nerve damage AFAIK.