PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 9

GVGjr
25-05-2013, 07:24 PM
This is the round 9 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread.

Please post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 players that we banked on to do the right thing during the game

The Anchors = 3 players that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
25-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Plenty to discuss.

Ghost Dog
25-05-2013, 08:38 PM
Banker. The coach. Game day initiative by swapping things around. Good call to keep Jones in it and give him a chance to impact the game. Calm in the storm. Well done Brendan.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
25-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Bankers: The whole team
Anchors: Too excited to be critical

Rance Fan
25-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Great win DOGS

Bankers
Midfield - Kobe, Boyd, Griff - great effort!
Addison - good ol fashion footballer - 4 goals excellent
WB - all showed we on the right track...we will get back up there

Anchors
Jones - Im a huge fan but needs to provide more...often
Williams - bit rusty. still not sure if forward is the way. But good to see him out there
Dahl - struggled early on.. would like him to step up to play in the midfield

LostDoggy
25-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Bankers: The whole team
Anchors: Too excited to be critical

..+1

ReLoad
25-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Bankers
The coaching team to swap backs and forwards was great
Hrovat - great first game
Stevens, best game for the club

Anchors
Jones - zomg
Williams, clearly rusty needed VFL time
Our kick ins are dysfunctional..... Still......

bornadog
25-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Bankers

* Addison's first quarter - should have had 3, just threw himself into the contest and was rewarded.

* Boyd - Did not stop going for the whole game and I didn't see any clangers or turnovers form him in the total 39 Possessions

* Stevens - His best game ever

Anchors

* Jones - Needs to work harder, take a look a Reiwoldt, the guy is just a machine, never stops trying.

* Minson's one big error in the last that could have cost us the game.

* Roughead's shocker in the second when he had all the time in the world and kicked it straight to Montagne who goaled.

Ghost Dog
25-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Jones chased very hard for most of the game and got a goal when we needed it. Played a role and have to give him that. If he keeps contesting and chasing, putting pressure on blokes, then all good.

Hotdog60
25-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Great win DOGS

Bankers
Midfield - Kobe, Boyd, Griff - great effort!
Addison - good ol fashion footballer - 4 goals excellent
WB - all showed we on the right track...we will get back up there

Anchors
Jones - Im a huge fan but needs to provide more...often
Williams - bit rusty. still not sure if forward is the way. But good to see him out there
Dahl - struggled early on.. would like him to step up to play in the midfield

Dahlhaus did play in the middle, I wonder if his tank isn't quite there yet as he's not chasing like he use to. Still gives a lot but the time he spends up the groung might be wearing him out.

Could Jones have been running decoy for Addison? I only have the square box to view.

Maddog37
25-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Bankers

Koby and Hrovat
Personally I was rapt with Boyd tonight. Seemed a different man and I have been critical of him recently.

The Dogs for giving me the gift they did today. Feels so good!

Anchors

Ruckman should look to handball at all times Minno!
Still kicking it to the other tem too much

LostDoggy
25-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Bankers.

1. Our tackling and pressure.
2. Ryan Bloody Grifffffffeeeeeeeeennn!!!!
3. Dale Morris. Did a good job on Roo.

Anchors.

1. Boundary umpires. I don't care if the player has his hands outstretched, if the ball is 2 foot over the line, blow your bloody whistle.
2. St Kilda playing the man all night (as it seemed to me). Suck it sweet.
3. Can't think of three. Great night!

Ghost Dog
25-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Good lord I reckon St Kilda were robbed in the umpiring tonight. Griff conned the boys in yellow royally and Clint Jones was rightly filthy. Suffer, little blonde parasite!.

comrade
25-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Bankers

1. Nice debut from Hrovat. Runs the lines and is clean with his disposal. We need his type badly.
2. Good response from Boyd. Stood up when we needed a leader to help us home.
3. We bloody won. I don't care if we lose our draft positioning. Wins are great for development and culture.

Anchors

1. Our transition from defence is laughable at times. It really needs to be a focus as we turn it over too much.
2. We got pulled apart when they rebounded. They only had 39 entries to our 52 yet we only crawled across the line. Our structure falls down too easily.
3. We won so 2 will do.

But....I do have a special mention:

Starters with W, rhymes with anchor and banker:

Nick Riewoldt. Falls over if you breath on him and the umpires pander to his rubbish. Great player but infuriating to watch him get preferential treatment.

F'scary
25-05-2013, 09:41 PM
1 Banker. No Anchors.

Banker:

Picken for ironing out Riewoldt. Made a close win feel like a 10 goal win.

LostDoggy
25-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Good lord I reckon St Kilda were robbed in the umpiring tonight. Griff conned the boys in yellow royally and Clint Jones was rightly filthy. Suffer, little blonde parasite!.

Surely you jest no 3 umpire crucified us whenever he was in the play...:mad::mad:

Banker

Koby - did well still a bit dicy with decision making but goes hard
Grif - Just did the business massive
Hrovat - potential loved his first goal
Big mentions to Morris and Minno

Anchors

Umpire no 3, I really disliked his work
Jones just battled
Stringer not enough
(with above two I see the potential, so still happy enough)

bulldogsthru&thru
25-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Jones chased very hard for most of the game and got a goal when we needed it. Played a role and have to give him that. If he keeps contesting and chasing, putting pressure on blokes, then all good.

+1

Was at the game and thought he applied great pressure when he was 2 on 1.

Stevens was fantastic. Great to see.

Dahl is really lacking confidene

soupman
25-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Anchors
1. Boundary umpires. I don't care if the player has his hands outstretched, if the ball is 2 foot over the line, blow your bloody whistle.

TBF I think the boundary umpires have made up for that. One of them spent a 5 minute patch in the last quarter throwing up repeatedly behind the St.Kilda point post. He vomited a lot of liquid.

Ghost Dog
25-05-2013, 10:22 PM
1 Banker. No Anchors.

Banker:

Picken for ironing out Riewoldt. Made a close win feel like a 10 goal win.

Morris did a lot right tonight. Some of it for the camera too.

Well done Dale.

ratsmac
25-05-2013, 10:35 PM
BANKERS

Griffen - this bloke is starting to be untagable (I think I just made a new word) in the ilk of Swan /Watson
Minson - Totally dominated the ruck when we needed him most (I will excuse that kick only because we won)
Hrovat - I really loved his game on debut. He didn't even appear to be nervous.

ANCHORS
Diver/umpire - does he do this just to take the piss. The umpire who paid the free is a twat.
Liam Jones - this bloke is killing me. His output was well below what is required.
Defence Kick ins - cmon boys, work it out.

boydogs
25-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Bankers

Minson - You could put him here every week for his tap work, 46 hitouts today
Griffen - Works his arse off every week
Addison - The bull at a gate was amazing today

Anchors

Stringer - Uncharacteristic errors, allowed Roberton to run off
Jones - Not involved nearly enough
Picken - For knocking out Riewoldt, I didn't enjoy that at all :P

Remi Moses
25-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Bankers- Stevens ( outstanding game)
Minson ( another great game)
Hrovat ( as posted previously, he's clever with the ball doesn't panic )
Griffen( great to chop up that highly unskilled Clinton Jones)
Anchors - The Media ( the caravan should, and rightly park outside Seaford ,that facility wouldn't look out of place in a barren Middle East country)
Watters should be taken to account for his mixed messages late last year and this season.

LostDoggy
25-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Bankers.

1. Our tackling and pressure.
2. Ryan Bloody Grifffffffeeeeeeeeennn!!!!
3. Dale Morris. Did a good job on Roo.

Anchors.

2. St Kilda playing the man all night (as it seemed to me). Suck it sweet.
3. Can't think of three. Great night!

TBF I think the boundary umpires have made up for that. One of them spent a 5 minute patch in the last quarter throwing up repeatedly behind the St.Kilda point post. He vomited a lot of liquid.

Watched the replay and I was wrong. Ump called it right.

whythelongface
25-05-2013, 11:23 PM

Geez the commentary team (Dermie; Russell) really gave him a hard time basically saying he doesn't work hard enough to provide a lead or a contest. Definitely not a good game by Jones but he did chase hard and made some contributions in the last quarter.

whythelongface
25-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Bankers:

Stevens really came of age tonight. Let's hope that form continues
Lower on Dal Santo who really didn't have much influence tonight
Minson was dominant in the ruck and in the last quarter absolutely murdered them.

Anchors
Minson's turnover in the last Qtr
Jones' fumble and then high tackle which lead to a goal

hoppus25
26-05-2013, 12:50 AM
Bankers:
Addison - as well as his goals just looked ferocious right from the get go
Stevens - really stood up and showed us what he can do
Macrae's tackle on Milne.. couldn't wipe the smile off my face.
Also have to commend the whole team's spirit tonight, just kept trying and fighting

Anchors:
Our kick ins - awful, makes me nervous everytime, especially when we do that short, into the corner nothing kick

Eastdog
26-05-2013, 01:46 AM
Bankers: 4 quarter effort from the team

Anchors: Don't want to keep saying it but the umpires are shocking at times

jeemak
26-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Bankers:

Griffen - He's so fit and strong these days, and he's so willing to concentrate for four quarters that he's becoming harder and harder to tag. He must keep kicking goals.

Stevens - Still has a way to go with respect to his polish in spurts of the game, though I love his attack on the ball and his willingness to keep running and trying. 31 touches and 3 goals in league football is a bloody great outcome for a 21 year old getting used to a new environment. We sometimes put a lot of pressure on players to deliver immediately, and Stevens is still at an age where he's going to have good games and bad games, though I really liked what I saw last night.

Boyd - I thought he worked his arse off last night, and many times just willed the ball forward through determination. The things that frustrate me about his game were there, but he lead from the front with a fairly rounded offensive and defensive minded game.

Anchors:

Minson - his decision making in the last detracted from an otherwise very good performance, though a lot of pressure came our way as a result of it.

Milne and Riewoldt - I just hate these blokes equally, but for different reasons.

Team discipline - I think we're a bit sloppy/lazy/careless with some of our tackling when going front on, or into a pack behind a player.

Scorlibo
26-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Bankers:

Gia - last quarter was incredible, was the main reason for at least 3 goals coming to be.

Stevens - good on him for taking the opportunity by the throat.

Hrovat - such poise for a first gamer is rare, a couple of times even guided some of the other players through tricky situations.

Anchors:

Jones - You must have a massive man-crush GD, and you're not alone either. No other player at this club could go through a half of footy without touching the pill, finish with 3 kicks, after getting 1 kick and 3 kicks in the previous two games, and still receive praise. Even for a young key forward, Jones played a poor game. I think he needs a rest/a run at Willy. See if he can't dominate and regain some confidence.

Smith - I didn't see much from Clay that I liked last night, aside from his snap on goal. I really worry about his role long term, can't trust him with a regular midfield spot for mine.

Libba - bit harsh because he didn't necessarily play badly but his start to the season had him pegged as one of the premier inside midfielders in the competition and he has fallen a long way short a month down the track. Is this because of the addition of Boyd? Is it possible for Libba to play such a crucial role when Boydy is in the side?

Sedat
26-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Bankers:

3 - Quicker ball use and run & carry. Chalk and cheese compared to most of the last 12 months. It created so much more space and goal scoring opportunities in our forward 50, and 17 goals was the end result of the quicker ball movement. Kudos to the coaching staff for rectifying this.

2 - Lower did a terrific job on Dal, who was completely ineffectual. Ditto Picken on Tiprat - I'm still not sold on Picken as a small lock-down defender but he was extremely effective yesterday.

1 - McCrae's daring and willingness to hold onto the ball to try and spot up a better target. It cost him once or twice but it also created many avenues to clear the defensive zone and run through the corridor.

Anchors:

3 - Smith. His ball use was horrendous yesterday - 9 critical errors in 17 hard-earned possessions just kills the team. He looked like Clinton Jones when he kicked it - that's not a compliment!

2 - Jones was freezing cold for 3 quarters. He should have put
an inexperienced defender like Stanley to the sword. Credit to him for impacting late in the piece.

1 - Steve McBurney. Why continue to reward the theatrics of Reiwoldt off the ball time and again?

jeemak
26-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Nailed it Sedat.

Particularly your praise for McCrae. He held on to the ball and didn't give it up like I'd expect a fourth or fifth year player to behave.

Ghost Dog
26-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Man I think people are hard on Jones. He applied enormous pressure in our forward line. Some very good assists. People read too much into stats. If he works as hard as that each game, I'll be very happy. Some people are calling him lazy? Ran and ran, harried the carrier and forced many a half back to kick it high rather than spot up a player. How can you measure that?

Anchor: Clay smith turned it over by gifting it twice to Saints players. Hope it doesn't become a habit.

Sedat
26-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Man I think people are hard on Jones.
Admire your unwavering support for Liam but I think his coaches would expect far more than a couple of possessions and no scoreboard impact up to 3/4 time, especially against a greenhorn FB like Stanley. Could easily have been subbed off instead of Stringer (another great call by BMac on the day).

Scorlibo
26-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Man I think people are hard on Jones. He applied enormous pressure in our forward line. Some very good assists. People read too much into stats. If he works as hard as that each game, I'll be very happy. Some people are calling him lazy? Ran and ran, harried the carrier and forced many a half back to kick it high rather than spot up a player. How can you measure that?

It's called a 'pressure act', it is measured.

I don't think he's lazy, it's plain to see that he works hard, but there's more to footy than that. Fact is that although it's expected that he do defensive work, he's in the side as a key target and unfortunately hasn't been competitive, in this respect, in the last 3 matches. Ignoring stats completely, after watching the game last night, I thought he was our second worst player (behind Clay).

Ghost Dog
26-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Admire your unwavering support for Liam but I think his coaches would expect far more than a couple of possessions and no scoreboard impact up to 3/4 time, especially against a greenhorn FB like Stanley. Could easily have been subbed off instead of Stringer (another great call by BMac on the day).

You are making it sound like I'm one of those little old ladies that can't ever see a blemish in a guy's game Sedat. He had a howler early on, but as a young forward, was still very involved and was sprinting his guts out. It's more a case of positioning with him.
One where the stats don't tell the true story.

So he takes a contested mark. Ah well, it was against a 3rd game player, and it hit his knee and blah blah.
He took the mark and kicked the goal when the game was on the wire. That counts end of story.

Sedat
26-05-2013, 11:23 PM
You are making it sound like I'm one of those little old ladies that can't ever see a blemish in a guy's game.
That was me 2 years ago with Ed Barlow :D

Ghost Dog
26-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Ah Cheesy....Sorry, but I loved Ed Barlow.:D Very entertaining to watch.

always right
26-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Bankers:
Minson. There are some who don't rate Will because he doesn't record many marks and possessions. Yesterday's match illustrated how much he influences matches...and he's been doing it all season.

McCrae and Horvath......such poise in two young blokes not to rush their disposals, holding onto the ball while they assessed the best options.

Morris. Riewoldt was awesome last night yet you know that no-one could have done a typically more honest job than Morris.

Anchors:
Smith. Love his attack but he burns the ball too often. I have confidence that he can continue to address this issue but it's going to take time and enormous commitment.

Jones. Lot to like about his game but in the end he simply hasn't got his hands on the ball enough the last two weeks.

Umpire McBurney. Is there a more officious umpire in the game?

Scorlibo
26-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Could easily have been subbed off instead of Stringer (another great call by BMac on the day).

Great call because it was a show of confidence in Jones. Two games in a row subbed off would have been a sad story and a blow to his self esteem.

You are making it sound like I'm one of those little old ladies that can't ever see a blemish in a guy's game Sedat. He had a howler early on, but as a young forward, was still very involved and was sprinting his guts out. It's more a case of positioning with him.

Seems like you're really agreeing with everyone else here, GD. It was Dermott and Mark Ricciuto who were saying he didn't work hard enough.

I agree that his positioning is poor and he very often leads to the wrong spots. If hard work were the be all and end all then not a soul would suggest dropping Daniel Cross.

One where the stats don't tell the true story.

Firstly, it really depends which stats you're looking at. What is the true story? That he was great? That he played his role, even? Someone has to be in our worst players, it hurts that it has been our young key forward hopeful over the last few weeks, but it doesn't make it any less true.

So he takes a contested mark. Ah well, it was against a 3rd game player, and it hit his knee and blah blah.
He took the mark and kicked the goal when the game was on the wire. That counts end of story.

Absolutely it does.

Ghost Dog
26-05-2013, 11:56 PM
What is the true story? That he was great?

Absolutely it does.

Not a great game, but did enough. Wasn't subbed off, and if he plays again next week, says plenty about how he's going.

Scorlibo
27-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Not a great game, but did enough. Wasn't subbed off, and if he plays again next week, says plenty about how he's going.

What if he doesn't play again next week? Will that say plenty about how he's going also?

jeemak
27-05-2013, 12:52 AM

Jones played a very poor game, and his last quarter redeemed him, to a point (a very small one). His non-contribution for three quarters should be considered in his season's evaluation.

He's been up and down this year. He's played three or so excellent games, a couple of OK to good games and two stinkers (last night included).

That's not to say he's not improved, there's no question in that as far as I'm concerned. I just think his output needs to be more consistent, and the gap between participation and non-participation is shortened.

Eastdog
27-05-2013, 12:54 AM
Jones played a very poor game, and his last quarter redeemed him, to a point (a very small one). His non-contribution for three quarters should be considered in his season's evaluation.

He's been up and down this year. He's played three or so excellent games, a couple of OK to good games and two stinkers (last night included).

That's not to say he's not improved, there's no question in that as far as I'm concerned. I just think his output needs to be more consistent, and the gap between participation and non-participation is shortened.

There is potential for Jones and Stringer to have a great combination up forward for us.

jeemak
27-05-2013, 01:34 AM
There is potential for Jones and Stringer to have a great combination up forward for us.

Agree Eastdog, my man. Though, it's got to be remembered that Stringer's going to take a few years to be a consistent player, and Jones can help that happen if he's more consistently able to be a dangerous KPF.

There's a lot of pressure on Jones to be a solid and consistent performer. Our team looks better when he's dangerous, and if he starts to be dangerous consistently our team will function much better through being more confidently direct.

Eastdog
27-05-2013, 01:52 AM
Agree Eastdog, my man. Though, it's got to be remembered that Stringer's going to take a few years to be a consistent player, and Jones can help that happen if he's more consistently able to be a dangerous KPF.

There's a lot of pressure on Jones to be a solid and consistent performer. Our team looks better when he's dangerous, and if he starts to be dangerous consistently our team will function much better through being more confidently direct.

Do you reckon if we got Buddy (probably won't happen but rumoured to leave the Hawks at season's end) that he could add something to our forward line.

jeemak
27-05-2013, 02:09 AM
Do you reckon if we got Buddy (probably won't happen but rumoured to leave the Hawks at season's end) that he could add something to our forward line.

Pffft, I'd take Jones any day over Buddy on $1m+

Seriously Eastdog, if we could get Buddy on a four year deal at $.9-1.1m a year I'd take him in a heartbeat.

It ain't gonna happen though mate.

We need to draft heavily, and we need to recruit well. The former is paramount.

Eastdog
27-05-2013, 02:13 AM
Pffft, I'd take Jones any day over Buddy on $1m+

Seriously Eastdog, if we could get Buddy on a four year deal at $.9-1.1m a year I'd take him in a heartbeat.

It ain't gonna happen though mate.

We need to draft heavily, and we need to recruit well. The former is paramount.

Is that because we don't have enough room in our salary cap to go for him.

jeemak
27-05-2013, 02:36 AM
Is that because we don't have enough room in our salary cap to go for him.

We've got the room.

soupman
27-05-2013, 08:42 AM

I cannot imagine a situation where any club has a forwardline so good that Buddy couldn't add to it.

wimberga
27-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Just on Jones, I thought he was pretty poor in terms of influence but he did work hard. It also seemed as though other players in our forward line like Addison were in the right spot when they needed to be moreso than either Jones or Stringer against the Saints.

With Jones, I am sure he can become a player, but I dont think he can ever become a really good player until he stops panicking. He is reasonably clean when the ball is in the air, however when he tries to pick up the ball or receive a handball or anything like that, I don't think I have seen a player with butter fingers as bad as his. Just grab the bloody thing!

soupman
27-05-2013, 08:51 AM
With Jones, I am sure he can become a player, but I dont think he can ever become a really good player until he stops panicking. He is reasonably clean when the ball is in the air, however when he tries to pick up the ball or receive a handball or anything like that, I don't think I have seen a player with butter fingers as bad as his. Just grab the bloody thing!

Completely agree. There is no player I have as little faith in to run onto a loose ball in the forward pocket under no pressure and still kick a goal. It's like loose ball gets just switch him onto panic mode.

I do agree with GD however that Jones' defensive efforts made up for his lack of impact somewhat (not saying he was good, he was poor). I'm pleased to see that even when the form isn't there the effort is.

LostDoggy
27-05-2013, 11:22 AM
You could see from the first 10 minutes that he was not in the groove and didn't have that fine instinct for the game. Like a cricketer whose shots are wooden and the ball doesn't come off fluently. It's his approach to marking that gets out of the kilter and appears all wrong. Timing and leap and decision making aren't right. This is in stark contrast to when he's hot where he is more aggressive, runs to the right places and crashes packs effectively even if he doesn't get the ball.

He has to learn to have more impact when things are decidedly against him.

Mantis
27-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Bankers:

* Griffen - Huge effort, especially when he had a parasite stuck to him all game.

* Minson - completely dominated the stoppages late in the game.

* Winning - it beats the hell out of losing.

Anchors:

* Umpiring - So bloody frustrating!!

* Jones - Completely ineffective for the 2nd week in a row.. Not good enough.

G-Mo77
27-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Anchors:

* Umpiring - So bloody frustrating!!

I walk away each game knowing less about the rules, by the end of the season someone will have to explain what a goal is.

azabob
27-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Bankers

Stevens - Great to see a midfielder impact the scoreboard like he did.

Minson - Great to see him keep his chin up after he turned the footy over and cost us a goal late. He went back to the centre square and got the next hitout straight to Boyd who cleared the footy

Jones & Roughead - Both kicked very important, high pressure goals in the last quarter when traditionally both have been shakey in front of goal. Since Roughead has gone back into defense his confidence has lifted and as a result his goal kicking has also improved.

Maddog37
27-05-2013, 02:08 PM
Jones always struggles when opponents get early body pressure on him and stop his jump. Hence he tries to get away from them at all costs usually by moving towards the ball. The good backman simply let him go forward and bingo bango he is under the ball. He needs more body strength to hold his position and he needs to hold back on his leads more which Barry Hall said is something that takes a fair while to master.

He also gets two opponents which will only lessen when he has better players around him that demand attention coupled with midfielders being able to spot the free man rather than blazing away.

SlimPickens
27-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Anchors:

* Umpiring - So bloody frustrating.

Agree, although the last qtr was actually officiated quite well as they let the game go. Felt like they had no idea for the first 3 qtrs for both teams. It was already a hard game to officiate and the AFL are making it more unoffciatable as weeks go on.

LostDoggy
27-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Agree, although the last qtr was actually officiated quite well as they let the game go. Felt like they had no idea for the first 3 qtrs for both teams. It was already a hard game to officiate and the AFL are making it more unoffciatable as weeks go on.

I was a bit pissed off about the umpiring until I watched the replay. There were still a few WTFs, but for the most part it was OK on review. Had to admit I read it wrong.

bornadog
27-05-2013, 04:47 PM
I was a bit pissed off about the umpiring until I watched the replay. There were still a few WTFs, but for the most part it was OK on review. Had to admit I read it wrong.

When you win the umpiring looks different:D

The one free that I really hated was the one against Picken on Montagna. The umpire had no choice to pay it, but gee, chopping the legs, give me a break (pardon the pun). Picken dived and got the ball and handballed out, that is what footy is all about. Believe me, this game is becoming Gaelic footy.

Ghost Dog
27-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Steven Milne: Anchor
Calls for an end to abuse. http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/milne-calls-for-action-on-all-abuse-20130526-2n5fm.html

Sets a pretty good example himself doesn't he?

always right
27-05-2013, 05:21 PM
When you win the umpiring looks different:D

The one free that I really hated was the one against Picken on Montagna. The umpire had no choice to pay it, but gee, chopping the legs, give me a break (pardon the pun). Picken dived and got the ball and handballed out, that is what footy is all about. Believe me, this game is becoming Gaelic footy.

Like it or not, it was the exact situation the AFL is trying to address. Montagna looked like he had hurt his knee from Picken's contact. I don't think this was the worst decision of this type even though you know Picken was simply desparate to get the ball.

I get less upset about this rule than I do about minor incidental contact to the head where the player has caused the contact himself. I also detest the free kicks where there is a bit of push and shove and the slightest contact near the shoulder is pounced upon as if the player has been kinghit.

Sedat
27-05-2013, 06:11 PM
I hated it only because it hasn't been paid by anyone, anywhere for the last 6 weeks. They were all over it for the first 3 weeks and have completely shelved it until Saturday.

Ozza
27-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Bankers:

Stevens - Still a young bloke, and showed some signs that he could well be a fantastic long term pick up.

Griffen - really showed great leadership. I'm not fussed that he gabe away those two frees - Jones is a pest - and Griffen then responded by dominating the last quarter and a half.

Hrovat - makes the right decisions, busy little player - very excited about him. Think he even had 7 or 8 score involvements.

Anchors:

I won't put in any anchors - because everyone who was having a bad day, at least contributed something that helped us win.
ie. Jones was poor - but kicked a crucial goal and brought down/tapped down the footy in contest to help us score.
Dahlhaus and Smith - struggled, but tackled and chased and got on the scoreboard.

Was a good fighting team effort.

GVGjr
27-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Anchors:

* Jones - Completely ineffective for the 2nd week in a row.. Not good enough.

Would you stick with him given we really need him to come good or can the lesson be learned better in the VFL?

Doc26
27-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Would you stick with him given we really need him to come good or can the lesson be learned better in the VFL?

Stick with him. He has improved his second effort from 2012 which was a blight on him, and as a Team we are obviously in a full on development period i.e we're not pushing for finals. There is no one presently better at Willy to take his spot or alternative. Williams will be better for the run and whether with Roughy or Williams down forward, Liam will be better with a second tall down there to give him a chop out. As a young developing tall forward with flaws it has been a tough gig for him to be the lone legitimate marking forward. Now that we have a second option down there lets see how he fairs.

GVGjr
27-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Stick with him. He has improved his second effort from 2012 which was a blight on him, and as a Team we are obviously in a full on development period i.e we're not pushing for finals. There is no one presently better at Willy to take his spot or alternative. Williams will be better for the run and whether with Roughy or Williams down forward, Liam will be better with a second tall down there to give him a chop out. As a young developing tall forward with flaws it has been a tough gig for him to be the lone legitimate marking forward. Now that we have a second option down there lets see how he fairs.

That's how I see it. I think we should try and stick with him and ride out a few bumps along the way. Williams being up forward will assist him.

stefoid
27-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Boyd was good - massive effort.

Ghost Dog
27-05-2013, 10:54 PM
On his knees at the final siren, fists clenched. That image stayed with me.

LongWait
27-05-2013, 10:58 PM
Boyd was good - massive effort.

I'm not a fan but he was huge on the weekend. That was a Captains' game and a more adventurous and attacking effort from Boyd. Bring that every week please Matthew.

LostDoggy
27-05-2013, 11:32 PM
Jones always struggles when opponents get early body pressure on him and stop his jump. Hence he tries to get away from them at all costs usually by moving towards the ball. The good backman simply let him go forward and bingo bango he is under the ball. He needs more body strength to hold his position and he needs to hold back on his leads more which Barry Hall said is something that takes a fair while to master.

He also gets two opponents which will only lessen when he has better players around him that demand attention coupled with midfielders being able to spot the free man rather than blazing away.

Very informative, Maddog. Thanks.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2013, 11:41 PM
[QUOTE=Remi Moses;
Watters should be taken to account for his mixed messages late last year and this season.[/QUOTE]

Just watching the 360 encore. Watters is a deadset loon, won't answer anything straight or take Gerard's points or critique. Watching that makes me feel better about BMac media mantras ( I.e. contested possessions).

Jdog
27-05-2013, 11:46 PM
This is the round 9 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread.

Please post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 players that we banked on to do the right thing during the game

The Anchors = 3 players that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
BANKERS ... boyd, gia, griffen ... youre all too busy watching the young guns and youre forgetting how good our mature players are at their game (still). Yes I am a Gia fan. :)

WANKERS .... bad umpiring, people that would rather queue for ages to buy tickets rather than purchase footy memberships and the fact that we are only one position above Melbourne on the AFL ladder !!!!!

AndrewP6
28-05-2013, 08:23 PM
BANKERS ... boyd, gia, griffen ... youre all too busy watching the young guns and youre forgetting how good our mature players are at their game (still). Yes I am a Gia fan. :)

WANKERS .... bad umpiring, people that would rather queue for ages to buy tickets rather than purchase footy memberships and the fact that we are only one position above Melbourne on the AFL ladder !!!!!

That's not quite the name of the thread:)

Murphy'sLore
29-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Banker - the generous Bulldog who donated four tickets to our family outside the ground so we could get in for free.

Just goes to show that there is such a thing as karma. He was rightfully rewarded with a victory.