PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 9 Edition

GVGjr
25-05-2013, 07:38 PM
You should all know the drill by now, fire away with the 3 things you have learned by watching today's game.

GVGjr
25-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Plenty of lessons learned tonight I would have thought

GVGjr
25-05-2013, 08:35 PM
1) When this side plays at their best they're a competitive outfit.

2) Our supporters love youngsters being in the side.

3) No one should question Will Minson's endeavor.

AndrewP6
25-05-2013, 08:40 PM
1. Nathan Hrovat is a real goer.
2. Ryan Griffen is Bulldog through and through (although i think I knew this already)
3. Winning is a much easier habit to deal with than losing.

SlimPickens
25-05-2013, 08:42 PM
1. When we work hard for one another we are a competitive little unit.

2. Hrovat wow.

3. Woof will be more tolerable this week! ;)

Hotdog60
25-05-2013, 08:48 PM
1: Hrovat looks a keeper

2: Macca swung a lot of changes in the game.

3: If Stevens can bring that performance each week we will look a lot better.

bornadog
25-05-2013, 08:49 PM
1. When you put in a four quarter effort, you are rewarded

2. Our first round picks in the last two years are pretty good.

3. The line in the sand has been drawn.

The Pie Man
25-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Stevens was worth the trade

Hrovat will be very good, adds much needed polish to our midfield

DFA has arrived as a genuine forward option

LostDoggy
25-05-2013, 09:10 PM
1. We can be flexible with our attack when Jones and Stringer don't fire.
2. Our players really played for the red, white and blue tonight, in everything they did. There was pride on the line and they stood tall.
3. My retiring my 22-year-old guernsey isn't what's been "jinxing" us. :) Lucky I had the lucky jocks on...

wimberga
25-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Addison should play forward for the rest of the year. Really runs to the right spots.

When Koby Stevens turns up to play, man does he play.

Boyd isn't done just yet.

bornadog
25-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Boyd isn't done just yet.

Maybe he thought I don't want to be next to be tapped on the shoulder.

Remi Moses
25-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Best game of Koby Stevens career
Hung in there when it looked like we were cooked.
Stkilda are about to be back in their rightful spot

Dog54
25-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Hrovat has great poise and good foot skills
Stevens has made cross redundant
Gia is a good sub (more effective when speed of game has slowed)

westdog54
25-05-2013, 10:49 PM
I'm going to enjoy typing this.

1. A week is bloody long time in football.
2. There's no substitute for heart and courage.
3. Brian Lake will have made a 20+ year contribution to our club by the time Hrovat retires.

The Doctor
25-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Kicking goals and winning is awesome

Thanks for the memories Crossy

If we can win again next week we get some momentum

Ghost Dog
25-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Hrovat has great poise and good foot skills
Stevens has made cross redundant
Gia is a good sub (more effective when speed of game has slowed)

Not too sure about this. While I don't wish it on any player, it's a long season and injuries bite when least expected. We will need Crossy as a depth player,and he's as reliable as they come.

The Underdog
25-05-2013, 11:15 PM
I'm going to enjoy typing this.

1. A week is bloody long time in football.
2. There's no substitute for heart and courage.
3. Brian Lake will have made a 20+ year contribution to our club by the time Hrovat retires.

Don't forget the two picks from Lake became Hrovat & Stevens who were both excellent today.

LostDoggy
25-05-2013, 11:17 PM
I wouldn't write Crossy off just yet.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-05-2013, 11:43 PM
1. The experience of Boyd Griffen and Minson led the charge.
2. A somewhat surprise selection but Addison was very good.
3. Great to see some imagination from the MC in being willing to change line ups during the game.

Remi Moses
25-05-2013, 11:52 PM
The Lake trade was a good all round deal.
Caused some heartburn on here, but best for all parties.

Remi Moses
25-05-2013, 11:54 PM
I wouldn't write Crossy off just yet.

Wouldn't right Crossy off, but to go forward we can't have to many of the same paced same style mids in the side.

Twodogs
25-05-2013, 11:54 PM
1. I wish I'd taken the $4.65 we were paying.

2. It's nice to have players who can kick in the team.

3. Jason Johhannisen is going to be another Rookie List success story for us.

Greystache
26-05-2013, 12:01 AM
1. We have some seriously good young recruits this year.

2. We're on the right track.

3. Winning is more enjoyable than losing, winning against the Saints is even better.

westbulldog
26-05-2013, 12:03 AM
One of our blokes must have thumped Dwayne Russell when he played for Geelong.
A career in Hollywood beckons for Clint Jones.
Nick Lower's team spirit shows, what a valuable recruit he is proving to be.

Twodogs
26-05-2013, 12:05 AM

Nick Lower has become my favorite player inside 9 games. He reminds of Scott West when he's sledging opposition players.

LostDoggy
26-05-2013, 12:07 AM
123 Stevens

Greystache
26-05-2013, 12:08 AM

He yelled hallelujah when we kicked our first goal at the 10 minute mark of the first quarter. What a dickhead!

Scorlibo
26-05-2013, 12:16 AM
Don't forget the two picks from Lake became Hrovat & Stevens who were both excellent today.

We netted a small upgrade in picks from 27 to 21, maybe Hrovat would have still been available at 27? Who knows. Either way you can't say it was a straight swap for Hrovat and Stevens.

bulldogtragic
26-05-2013, 12:21 AM
We netted a small upgrade in picks from 27 to 21, maybe Hrovat would have still been available at 27? Who knows. Either way you can't say it was a straight swap for Hrovat and Stevens.
Hrovat was expected to go top 15, and slipped a little. The Lake upgrade absolutely meant we could snare him. So I thank Lake for giving us Hrovat for sure.

whythelongface
26-05-2013, 12:21 AM
He yelled hallelujah when we kicked our first goal at the 10 minute mark of the first quarter. What a dickhead!

I heard that too and thought what a tosser. Worst commentator ever.

Greystache
26-05-2013, 12:27 AM

It's even more noticeable when he commentates with McGuire, who when not calling a Collingwood game is very good. Even Brereton and King make him look like a dill.

Greystache
26-05-2013, 12:29 AM
Hrovat was expected to go top 15, and slipped a little. The Lake upgrade absolutely meant we could snare him. So I thank Lake for giving us Hrovat for sure.

When he was still available at 21 Dalrymple couldn't get his name out fast enough, we were staggered he was still available. It just goes to show how much emphasis clubs place on players not being short, he should've gone in the top 15

Doc26
26-05-2013, 12:30 AM

That was my understanding. North were very keen on him with their first round pick but they didn't expect Taylor Garner to still be there at their pick 15 when it came around so Nathan ended up slipping through to us in my opinion at a bargain basement price. I'm a bit more bullish on him seeing him as a blend of Marc Murphy and Sam Mitchell, and just their better bits :D

bornadog
26-05-2013, 12:30 AM

I did think the commentators were barracking for us today. Eddie was definitely on board.

Greystache
26-05-2013, 12:33 AM
I did think the commentators were barracking for us today. Eddie was definitely on board.

And King is a big fan of us and McCartney.

whythelongface
26-05-2013, 12:39 AM

All except Dwayne

Ghost Dog
26-05-2013, 12:42 AM
Never bothered me. I thought it was a brave move and a good one by the club. Calculated risks are what you need to take.

Hotdog60
26-05-2013, 09:30 AM

Yeah he can change his name to Sam Jones

http://celebgreat.com/pics/96/26/Sam-J-Jones-16e43.jpg

SonofScray
26-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Clint Jones goes down quicker than the St Kilda school girl.

G-Mo77
26-05-2013, 10:12 AM
And King is a big fan of us and McCartney.

Does he have anything to do with us in an official capacity? I saw him run out on the ground and give Hrovat a big hug and talk to him for a while. Really couldn't take that much more in as I was just to busy celebrating but that stood out.

whythelongface
26-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Does he have anything to do with us in an official capacity? I saw him run out on the ground and give Hrovat a big hug and talk to him for a while. Really couldn't take that much more in as I was just to busy celebrating but that stood out.

Think he coached him in his junior days. King rates him highly.

Pedro Sanchez
26-05-2013, 10:40 AM

Yeah he was pumping him up all game. Obviously has had something to do with him. It was good to listen too and then watch him deliver.

Gee all three of our trades have offered plenty. Lower has been immense all season, young is a real trier and more than handy, and Stevens can play. He has a big upside too at only 22 with around 20 odd games under his belt. Shrued trading. I like it.

Ghost Dog
26-05-2013, 11:30 AM
The thing with Lower is he's running around hugging other players when we get goals and bashing the opposition players just for fun. He's very likable!

Maddog37
26-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I said to my wife last night that if I was a Saints fan I would be hating the commentators. They were dead set barracking for us at one stage.

Except for Derrrwayne who is a complete numpty.

LostDoggy
26-05-2013, 12:19 PM
I said to my wife last night that if I was a Saints fan I would be hating the commentators. They were dead set barracking for us at one stage.

Agree, they were on our side. Press red for dead was hoping for a win for MMM Darce I reckon.

azabob
26-05-2013, 12:23 PM
The thing with Lower is he's running around hugging other players when we get goals and bashing the opposition players just for fun. He's very likable!

You are on the money there GD, it is great to see. No wonder he is highly rated internally.

bornadog
26-05-2013, 12:31 PM

Coached both Hrovat and Macrae at Carey, (I think)

For once a commentary team was barracking for us.

Can't stand Dwayne either. I remember he started at 774 and I was wrapped when he left, now we have to put up with him on Fox:mad:

Eastdog
26-05-2013, 12:41 PM
1. It is a great feeling winning again

2. Our youngsters are going to be very good in future years

3. Putting a 4 quarter effort will get you the results

always right
26-05-2013, 01:39 PM
The caption silenced a number of critics yesterday. Would be interested in his disposal efficiency....I reckon it might have been an all time high.

Is there a harder working forward than Addison? His first half was enormous and he's been another who has had his critics.

Griffen showed he can have a big impact on a game even with a hard tag.

Ghost Dog
26-05-2013, 01:58 PM

Must admit I thought the same. Understand Eddie had very good ties with David S. in the past. Certainly showed their bias. Not that I minded, but wasn't down the line.

AndrewP6
26-05-2013, 02:24 PM
The caption silenced a number of critics yesterday. Would be interested in his disposal efficiency....I reckon it might have been an all time high.

Is there a harder working forward than Addison? His first half was enormous and he's been another who has had his critics.

Griffen showed he can have a big impact on a game even with a hard tag.

65.8% according to the AFL website

LostDoggy
26-05-2013, 05:06 PM
65.8% according to the AFL website

Which is about 5% up on average

LostDoggy
26-05-2013, 05:32 PM
1. We beat a team that made as many mistakes as we did; fumbles, mis-directed kicks, dropped marks and silly free kicks just to name a few.

2. We beat a team whose midfield was down due to the late withdrawal of Armitage. I think it affected their midfield's output.

3. We beat a team that had had 2 six day breaks coming into this game, and had Hayes off at 3/4 time, which might explain why we overran them. This game could certainly have gone either way.

A glorious win, and one that we desperately needed. It really hit the spot after such a long drought, but I wouldn't think, on that performance, we would be threatening teams in the top 4 just yet!!

I's just great to have that winning feeling again. I even watched some of the Sunday footy shows for the first time this year!

w3design
26-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Great to have a win, and there are few teams I would rather have it against. Wasn't much fun sitting in the middle of a large contingent of rowdy Saints fans, except when the final siren blew...then it was pretty good.

The reports of Crossy's demise have been greatly exaggerated. He was a major reason for Williamstown's completely lop sided victory yesterday. If he is given the opportunity, he would be the perfect captain for our VFL side next year. He took his demotion on the chin, and led the Williamstown squad like he had been doing it for ages. He simply went about being Crossy, and showed everyone how the game needed to be played.

Hunter Jnr. will be our next debutant. He is just another real natural. Has skill and time, and never seems flustered. Every week this kid just keeps on improving. His old man looked pretty proud on the sidelines too.

Tutty ran like an absolute maniac yesterday. Just never stopped running. His tank is obviously improving, and he is genuinely quick, and his appetite for the contest is getting better. But his strength will always be what he can bring on the outside, and We do need some outside run to counterbalance our in and under grunt.

Wal is also showing plenty of determination to win his spot back too.

While I have not been a big Vez fan, he did contribute well also, and Granty at least looked interested yesterday. But all the same problems are still there.

Great to see a bit of love for Dylan A. on here as well, rather than him being the perpetual whipping boy, which has always been pretty unfair. I am glad he has finally found himself a niche.

GVGjr
26-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Great post Paulv. Thanks for sharing

EasternWest
26-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Great to have a win, and there are few teams I would rather have it against. Wasn't much fun sitting in the middle of a large contingent of rowdy Saints fans, except when the final siren blew...then it was pretty good.

The reports of Crossy's demise have been greatly exaggerated. He was a major reason for Williamstown's completely lop sided victory yesterday. If he is given the opportunity, he would be the perfect captain for our VFL side next year. He took his demotion on the chin, and led the Williamstown squad like he had been doing it for ages. He simply went about being Crossy, and showed everyone how the game needed to be played.
Hunter Jnr. will be our next debutant. He is just another real natural. Has skill and time, and never seems flustered. Every week this kid just keeps on improving. His old man looked pretty proud on the sidelines too.

Tutty ran like an absolute maniac yesterday. Just never stopped running. His tank is obviously improving, and he is genuinely quick, and his appetite for the contest is getting better. But his strength will always be what he can bring on the outside, and We do need some outside run to counterbalance our in and under grunt.

Wal is also showing plenty of determination to win his spot back too.

While I have not been a big Vez fan, he did contribute well also, and Granty at least looked interested yesterday. But all the same problems are still there.

Great to see a bit of love for Dylan A. on here as well, rather than him being the perpetual whipping boy, which has always been pretty unfair. I am glad he has finally found himself a niche.

What a champion.

As for DFA, not all of us have him as a whipping boy. Some of us love him.

Thanks for the info paulv, encouraging stuff about Hunter and Tutt particularly.

westdog54
26-05-2013, 09:09 PM

You know the thought had never even crossed my mind. I think its a fantastic idea.

Bulldog Revolution
26-05-2013, 10:12 PM
1. Addison showed those of us who have believed why he is worth believing in - he has more skill and ability than many think he does, perhaps even him!

2. Stevens - works both ways and is quite a powerful athlete - the ideal Griffen apprentice

3. Griffen - the real mccoy - superb

The Doctor
26-05-2013, 11:45 PM
The reports of Crossy's demise have been greatly exaggerated. He was a major reason for Williamstown's completely lop sided victory yesterday. If he is given the opportunity, he would be the perfect captain for our VFL side next year.

that is a fantastic idea.

Go_Dogs
26-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Great post Paulv. Thanks for sharing

Agreed, great post and thanks for the report on the Willy game.

I've only seen Willy play once (in Adelaide in 2011 mind you!) but what really stood out about Tutt that day was ability to run to position and spread from the contest to get into position to receive. It's definitely an area we can continue to improve in and I'd like to think Tutt can be a big driver of that improvement.

I'd like to see him string together a few more solid performances at Williamstown before he gets a recall but he must be getting very close.

firstdogonthemoon
27-05-2013, 12:34 AM
1. I've learned that I appear to have been wrong about DFA possibly.

2. Brett Goodes has not had enough opportunities to sing the song so he doesn't know the words properly.

3. If reiwoldt spent as much time playing football as he did wandering around with his arms up sooking about frees he would be even better than he is and he is really quite good.

(I knew about 3 already)

LostDoggy
27-05-2013, 11:48 AM
1. Addison showed those of us who have believed why he is worth believing in - he has more skill and ability than many think he does, perhaps even him!

2. Stevens - works both ways and is quite a powerful athlete - the ideal Griffen apprentice

3. Griffen - the real mccoy - superb

Addison is the coach's philosophy personified. Rewards through grit and hard work. Wouldn't be surprised if he played every game for the rest of the year.

Bulldog Revolution
27-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Addison is the coach's philosophy personified. Rewards through grit and hard work. Wouldn't be surprised if he played every game for the rest of the year.

Yes, there are elements of that, but I also think that Addison has more talent than he at times has shown, and its been partly self belief thats held him back

Maddog37
27-05-2013, 02:13 PM
DFA seems a bit quicker and stronger than I remember him ever being.

BulldogBelle
27-05-2013, 03:18 PM
1. Hrovat is an exceptionally good get. Fantastic player. I was very impressed. Who will be better in the long-run - Hrovat, Stringer, McCrae, Libba, Smith or Wallis? Future for the Doggies looks very good.

2. Matt Boyd can kick straight. What a difference it makes when he does so. Some of his passes were ideal.

3. The first two games that Cross missed many years ago - we won. Keep Crossy out. Although he has stopped doing his backward passing and many of his dinky little handpasses, he is too slow to chase, is too slow to run and carry, is too slow when kicking and his main forte that was diving into packs across other players' legs has been outlawed.

BulldogBelle
27-05-2013, 03:31 PM

Can't see David King listed among the coaches. From watching Fox Footy Shows he is apparently down at the Doggies doing some coaching.

westdog54
27-05-2013, 08:48 PM
1. Hrovat is an exceptionally good get. Fantastic player. I was very impressed. Who will be better in the long-run - Hrovat, Stringer, McCrae, Libba, Smith or Wallis? Future for the Doggies looks very good.

2. Matt Boyd can kick straight. What a difference it makes when he does so. Some of his passes were ideal.

3. The first two games that Cross missed many years ago - we won. Keep Crossy out. Although he has stopped doing his backward passing and many of his dinky little handpasses, he is too slow to chase, is too slow to run and carry, is too slow when kicking and his main forte that was diving into packs across other players' legs has been outlawed.

I know you've never been a big fan of Cross', which is your opinion and I respect that, and I'll certainly agree that Father Time has caught up to him, but as a person who's one of Crossy's hardest critics on here I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts on PaulV's suggestion that he captain the VFL side next year. What do you think?

BulldogBelle
27-05-2013, 11:02 PM
I know you've never been a big fan of Cross', which is your opinion and I respect that, and I'll certainly agree that Father Time has caught up to him, but as a person who's one of Crossy's hardest critics on here I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts on PaulV's suggestion that he captain the VFL side next year. What do you think?

What are the qualities of a good captain and does Cross have these? I took the following off other web sites.

A good captain should possess the following qualities :
1. Dedication- 100% attendance/effort, able to self sacrifice by being selfless puting the team goals ahead of his own
2. An ability to bring out the best of his team mates, helping them to identify their weaknesses and build on their strengths;
3. A good and enthusiastic attitude;
4. All round application. Able to plan short and long term;
5. Knowledge of the game;
6. Sticks up for the team and teammates. (not letting anyone get pushed around arguing bad calls with umps in sports where he can and sticking up for them in the media);
7. Promotes respect and sportsmanship;
8. A desire to help team mates achieve their potential;
9. Able to issue instructions to players on the ground, motivating, encouraging and creating a positive environment.
10. To be a presence within the team, respected by team mates;
11. To be a good face of the team to the media and social organisations;
12. The ability to think fast and effectively on his feet, constantly motivating the team. Put on a positive face when the team is having it tough.
13. Must be able to follow the coach's instructions and convey them to his teammates.
14. Must have the desire to be a leader
15. To be able to give stirring speeches to teammates.
16. To be able to speak to the press, TV and other media.

These are the sort of attributes that make a good leader. Not necessarily the best player in the team. Even though The Great Man was captain for us for many seasons I always thought that others would have made a better captain.

Cross can tick many of the points above. I don't know to what extent that he is able to talk, control and coordinate. His communication skills and self-confidence in public speaking. I don't know.

bornadog
27-05-2013, 11:07 PM
What are the qualities of a good captain and does Cross have these? I took the following off other web sites.

1. Dedication- 100% attendance/effort, able to self sacrifice by being selfless puting the team goals ahead of his own
2. An ability to bring out the best of his team mates, helping them to identify their weaknesses and build on their strengths;
6. Sticks up for the team and teammates. (not letting anyone get pushed around arguing bad calls with umps in sports where he can and sticking up for them in the media);
9. Able to issue instructions to players on the ground, motivating, encouraging and creating a positive environment.
12. The ability to think fast and effectively on his feet, constantly motivating the team. Put on a positive face when the team is having it tough.
13. Must be able to follow the coach's instructions and convey them to his teammates.

These are the sort of attributes that make a good leader. Not necessarily the best player in the team. Even though The Great Man was captain for us for many seasons I always thought that others would have made a better captain.

Cross can tick many of the points above. I don't know to what extent that he is able to talk, control and coordinate. His communication skills and self-confidence in public speaking. I don't know.

I think he ticks all boxes except as you point out, the public speaking. In my opinion, Boyd fails that as well.

Jdog
27-05-2013, 11:27 PM
1. Finally the word 'rebuilding' is starting to make sense, and I thoroughly enjoy watching each and every young/new player contribute something special week after week.

2. Its great to see that even after negative comments from some supporters and the media, this club is only focussed on moving forward and not looking back.

3. I would like to see the more mature players get more recognition when deserved. The Western Bulldogs is a club made up of mature players and young players .. and without either, we wouldn't have a team. Please show some respect to the players that have been loyal to this club.

GVGjr
27-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Nice post Jdog. Welcome to WOOF

jeemak
28-05-2013, 02:24 AM
Yeah he can change his name to Sam Jones

http://celebgreat.com/pics/96/26/Sam-J-Jones-16e43.jpg

This is the first Flash Gordon reference I've seen on WOOF (like many others, I'm surprised it has taken so long), well played good sir, well played.

jeemak
28-05-2013, 02:41 AM
1. Winning ugly games of football is still winning. The foundations on which success is built derive from rolling up your sleeves and finding a way to be better than those opposed to you, under different pressures and circumstances. We really could have let them in after the Ray goal late in the game, but we set up well enough to counter any attack (and we also benefitted from a little luck).

2. Koby Stevens will have some up and down games for our club in the near future, but for a 22 year old showed he has actual talent and poise. Something lacking on our list right now. He has areas within his game to work on, funnily enough mainly relating to the latter attribute I mentioned above, but almost every player his age or within the game generally has areas of their games on which they can improve.

3. Our senior players must contribute weekly for us to be competitive. Players like Addison, Griffen, Williams, Boyd, Murphy etc. must play well to take the pressure off our younger chargers. Each of these guys had moments throughout the game whereby they were solid and safe.

westdog54
28-05-2013, 10:43 AM

I think he covers all of these off except 16, which IMO is far less crucial at VFL level. Having met him once or twice (we were at the same uni) I think he's very articulate.

always right
28-05-2013, 11:20 AM

This is so disrespectful. Sure he has limitations but "dinky little handpasses"? I've always thought he was one of our most gifted when it comes to releasing handballs under pressure to blokes in better positions. Some of his gathering of the ball and releasing the handball in the same action has been Scotty West-like.

"His main forte that was diving into packs across other players' legs has been outlawed". This belittles Cross. Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that his main forte is unbelievable courage and desparation and whilst this has been illustrated in the past by his commitment to dive into packs, it is also illustrated by his willingness to run back with the flight of the ball, his contested overhead marking and his relentless gut running?

You don't play as many games as Crossy without having something going for you. You make him sound like a hack.

LostDoggy
28-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Well said "always right". Crossys' time might be coming to an end, but to belittle what he has done for our club as a player and a leader is disrespectful.

Greystache
28-05-2013, 03:34 PM
One other thing I learnt from the replay was that halfway though the 3rd quarter we were 54, that means in the last quarter and a half we scored 55 points. That's a scoring barrage.

LostDoggy
28-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Can't see David King listed among the coaches. From watching Fox Footy Shows he is apparently down at the Doggies doing some coaching.

Coached Hrovat at school I believe

JohnGentStand
28-05-2013, 04:28 PM
1/ our turnovers are just so aweful, especially when you can see the guys trying there guts out

2/ Hrovat has that blessed quality - poise

3/ Stevens, Lower & Young are all shrewd gets - very happy!

Eastdog
28-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Coached Hrovat at school I believe

Parade College I believe he was from. I knew a few people who went to that school.

AndrewP6
29-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Parade College I believe he was from. I knew a few people who went to that school.

Hrovat and Jack Macrae went to Carey Grammar.

Sedat
29-05-2013, 11:32 AM
So did Jack Viney and Kristian Jacksh. Viney was a top 5 talent in last year's draft and Jacksh went pick 12 to GWS, so Carey must have had a fair footy team last year!

craigsahibee
29-05-2013, 11:35 AM
I've learnt that I should probably not attend games in Melbourne this season.

I have only missed 2 games at Etihad this year. No surprises which ones they are.

bornadog
29-05-2013, 11:43 AM

Yes he did but also went to Parade before that as he is officially the 100th Parade ex student to make the AFL

So did Jack Viney and Kristian Jacksh. Viney was a top 5 talent in last year's draft and Jacksh went pick 12 to GWS, so Carey must have had a fair footy team last year!

David King was the coach.

Murphy'sLore
29-05-2013, 11:52 AM
I'm curious: I wasn't around in 1999, at what stage did people start to realise what a stellar group we'd snared? How does this year's crop of draft picks compare?

Twodogs
29-05-2013, 11:54 AM
I've learnt that I should probably not attend games in Melbourne this season.

I have only missed 2 games at Etihad this year. No surprises which ones they are.

Be very wary the next time you are leaving the house to go to the football. I'll be there somewhere and you wont see me until it's too late. ;)

Bulldog4life
29-05-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm curious: I wasn't around in 1999, at what stage did people start to realise what a stellar group we'd snared? How does this year's crop of draft picks compare?

How old are you?:eek:

DragzLS1
29-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Be very wary the next time you are leaving the house to go to the football. I'll be there somewhere and you wont see me until it's too late. ;)

Haha we need a like button on this forum!

I may be in a similar boat. I had 2 tickets to the game, gave them to a mate as I wasn't going to make it on time and we win. I may have to give him my tickets every week now :( worth it though!

bornadog
29-05-2013, 01:34 PM

It took a number of years. Bob Murphy played in the win over Essendon in 2000. You can see he was going to be a gun.

Don't forget the young crop drafted back then had the likes of Grant, Smith West, Darcy, Johnno in the team.

Greystache
29-05-2013, 01:44 PM
It took a number of years. Bob Murphy played in the win over Essendon in 2000. You can see he was going to be a gun.

Don't forget the young crop drafted back then had the likes of Grant, Smith West, Darcy, Johnno in the team.

And in most cases they were at their peak.

Eastdog
29-05-2013, 02:52 PM

Your right with Macrae Andrew but I'm pretty sure Hrovat was from the Northern Knights.

Murphy'sLore
29-05-2013, 03:10 PM
How old are you?:eek:

I was alive! I just hadn't been converted to the wonders of football.

Bulldog4life
29-05-2013, 03:12 PM
I was alive! I just hadn't been converted to the wonders of football.

I knew that.:)

Murphy'sLore
29-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Glad we're clear :D

bornadog
29-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Your right with Macrae Andrew but I'm pretty sure Hrovat was from the Northern Knights.

Carey was his school, Northern Knights was his TAC club.

Greystache
29-05-2013, 03:39 PM

And he played predominantly with school. He did manage however to win the Northern Knights B&F playing just 8 games!

Eastdog
29-05-2013, 03:42 PM

Ok that clears that up then.

westdog54
30-05-2013, 10:03 PM
And he played predominantly with school. He did manage however to win the Northern Knights B&F playing just 8 games!

I'll never understand how he didn't go inside the top 20. Baffling.

bornadog
30-05-2013, 11:03 PM
I'll never understand how he didn't go inside the top 20. Baffling.

Only one reason, his height.

Go_Dogs
31-05-2013, 02:12 AM
Only one reason, his height.

Let's all thank Hawthorn for pick 21 :D

I was one who has a bit surprised by his selection (mainly because I thought we would've gone tall with that selection) but I couldn't be happier with Nathan and his progress. He's a quality person who is going to be a 10+ year player for the club. We're lucky to have landed him and I look forward to watching him develop into an elite player.