PDA

View Full Version : McCartney's gamble on youth pays off for Bulldogs

bornadog
26-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-05-25/stk-v-wb-mccartney)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/1_09StWB13SG715_zpsec8f6cd2.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/1_09StWB13SG715_zpsec8f6cd2.jpg.html)

BRENDAN McCartney made the tough call this week, dropping 205-game veteran Daniel Cross for Saturday night's clash with St Kilda.

Cross is one of the 'fabric of the club' sort of players, but the Western Bulldogs coach wanted to change something after the disappointing loss to Gold Coast seven days ago.

And it worked, with his side outlasting St Kilda by nine points for just the second win by the club in its last 20 outings.

"We wanted the team to look a bit different and add some things around the edges," he said. "He was unlucky to go out but he took it pretty well."

"What we do have to do is find the best mix and best options for the club going forward."

That mix also included bringing in debutant midfielder Nathan Hrovat, who had 18 touches and looked most accomplished at the level.

The result brought the briefest of smiles to the poker-faced McCartney, but he was buoyed by a few factors, such as the former West Coast midfielder Koby Stevens who played his best game since crossing from West Coast, with 31 possessions and a goal.

"He wanted to come back to Victoria and really wanted to play at our club. He craved the opportunity," said McCartney.

Star on-baller Ryan Griffen was rattled early and gave away two indiscriminate free kicks, but worked his way through a hard tag from Clinton Jones to become the most influential player on the ground in the second half.

"He just continues to develop as a player and a person at our club and he continues to develop as a leader on and off the field," McCartney said of Griffen, who ended with 30 possessions.

"He is starting to demand standards from others, impact the game style and he's adding things to his game. He's much better around the contests when our young players get a bit puffed and he drives in and wins the ball."

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/288418_np_zpsae6735d9.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/288418_np_zpsae6735d9.jpg.html)

It was an interesting week for McCartney, who arrived at the office on Monday to a diary crammed with corporate engagements and a football media whose glare was fixed firmly towards Melbourne's west in its weekly search for a club in crisis.

He said the week on the hustings invigorated him and he had no issues with what was said and written about the club, or the hard questions from those who put considerable sums of money into the club.

"Getting a whack isn't the worst thing for your club," he said. "It makes you reassess a few things and if you're made of the right stuff as a club, which we are, it should serve to reinforce your stability and what you stand for.

"There weren’t too many people hiding from responsibility this week," he added.

Scott Watters is another whose even temperament suggests his club is in good hands.

The St Kilda coach said his midfield was on the back foot for most of the night, smashed 43 to 26 in clearances and with only Leigh Montagna coming close to putting in a four-quarter performance.

"The ability to play for four quarters is a challenge for us. We're not at a stage where we can sustain it for four quarters and put our feet on the throats of the opposition," he said.

The Saints aren't as upfront as the Bulldogs in terms of declaring they're in the midst of a rebuild, although this result might hasten that process.

But he did say that two six-day breaks on the trot and the pre-game loss of David Armitage did stretch his midfield to close to breaking point and helped explain why the Saints were twice able to get out to a lead of three goals but not be able to extend it or even hold it.

Ghost Dog
26-05-2013, 02:01 AM
The emotion in that shot, Boyd on his knees and Minnow reaching for the sky - what a wonderful moment.

Jason Johannisen - eleven games to his name, 23 disposals tonight at 91.3% efficiency. I'm sure Harbrow had the rebound but not sure he ever came close this in the accuracy department

Remi Moses
26-05-2013, 02:32 AM
Thinking the same tonight GD.
Jason's going to be a good player for us

chef
26-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Keep playing the kids Brendan.

Hotdog60
26-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Every photo tells a story. I think even though the club said all was good inside the kennel and they are working at getting better the relief on the players to finally get over the line shows there was a bit of pressure mounting.

Lets hope that the tide is about to turn and we have a better half for the rest of the season.

LostDoggy
26-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Love this line:

"Getting a whack isn't the worst thing for your club," he said. "It makes you reassess a few things and if you're made of the right stuff as a club, which we are, it should serve to reinforce your stability and what you stand for.

Maddog37
26-05-2013, 11:37 AM
He just continues to develop as a player and a person at our club and he continues to develop as a leader on and off the field," McCartney said of Griffen

Next captain.

boydogs
26-05-2013, 12:45 PM
He just continues to develop as a player and a person at our club and he continues to develop as a leader on and off the field," McCartney said of Griffen

Next captain.

He went even further than that, saying he doesn't have any official leadership titles at this stage but he's pretty close to it.

BulldogBelle
27-05-2013, 10:37 AM
He went even further than that, saying he doesn't have any official leadership titles at this stage but he's pretty close to it.

It will be interesting to see who Macca advocates as our next captain

Given the strong Geelong learning, possibly a Tom Harley type approach by selecting an articulate player who isnt in our top-10 players might be the approach

Griff isnt in any official leadership capacity at the moment?

And rarely speaks to the media? - not 100% sure the club will go for him

Murphy'sLore
27-05-2013, 12:37 PM
Boydy hasn't exactly been all over the media since he became captain.

Griffen seems to have become the on-field leader, the player who can lift the team and inspire. Isn't that the primary function of the captain?

BulldogBelle
27-05-2013, 12:42 PM
If Higgins had an explosive year this year, I actually believed it would be him next and then a natural progression onto Wallis in the future.

His injury really threw a spanner in the works.

ledge
27-05-2013, 02:42 PM
What's wrong with morris as a captain ?

bulldogtragic
27-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Captain Minno.

I like the sound of it.

bornadog
27-05-2013, 03:11 PM

I would prefer a younger captain.

immortalmike
27-05-2013, 04:41 PM

Because he has about as much time left in the game as Boyd.

chef
27-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Captain Minno.

I like the sound of it.

Minson would be my choice.

LongWait
27-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Griffen seems to be more prominent off-field lately and was spoken about very warmly by Macca who recently lauded his emerging leadership.

GVGjr
27-05-2013, 09:09 PM
Griffen seems to be more prominent off-field lately and was spoken about very warmly by Macca who recently lauded his emerging leadership.

I haven't been supportive of Griffen being mentioned as a captain in the past but he is more than ready now if needed.

Dancin' Douggy
27-05-2013, 11:22 PM
As a player, Griffen plays like a captain, but I don't think it's the kind of position that suits his personality.

I always thought Murph would be a better captain than Boyd.

I would give it to Murph next year as a badge of honour he has so richly deserved.
Give him one or two years and then pass it on to whoever stands up.

I'm not against Minson as captain either for a year or 2 after that.

And then............. Wallis or Libber or Hrovat or Stringer etc............ someone will stand up and be an obvious choice.

boydogs
27-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Captain Minno.

I like the sound of it.

Interesting to see Minson present Hrovat with his jumper, instead of Boyd doing it.

Jdog
28-05-2013, 12:14 AM
I was hurt to hear that Cross was told that he was no longer in the best 22 for the doggies. Change is a tough process .. you hurt some and you please some. I just hope that these young lads that are being made priority at our club don't turn their backs on us like Ward.

Remi Moses
28-05-2013, 12:54 AM
Agree, it's tough on Cross but a brave call to drop a favourite son.

Jdog
28-05-2013, 01:55 PM
I'm seeing more balls on Macca than on any other WB coach from the past .. this has been a total shakeup of our club .. maybe its what we needed .. ??? I just hope the gamble pays off. I was not a genuine fan of Macca in the beginning, but he is growing on me.

AndrewP6
28-05-2013, 08:21 PM
I'm seeing more balls on Macca than on any other WB coach from the past.

Really? I thought last weekend was the first we'd seen something.

Topdog
28-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Really? I thought last weekend was the first we'd seen something.

Yeah same here. At the some time I understand you cant play 20 kids at once but we have an abundance of Cross type players