PDA

View Full Version : A critical appointment

Guido
27-05-2013, 07:31 PM
IMO who is going to oversee the club's football department over the next 5-8 years is the biggest and most important question facing the club right now and what the top end management and admin of the club should be focused on. Many threads last week were focusing who needed to go, but I think this perspective was arse-about.

Assuming there's no change in CEO or coach in the next couple of years, then the most critical appointment this club will make in this time frame is the bloke who will orchestrate the next premiership tilt : the footy manager.

As long as nothing about the club stinks (i.e. players walking), then there is absolutely no urgency in needing to make rash decisions at other levels of the club - anyone that's poor in their role at the moment, be it fitness guys or any of the coaching staff, it will not cost us a flag in 5-6-7-8 years time. They can be replaced at the pointy end of the cycle. If by the end of of next year the jury decides that McCartney isn't a good enough head coach, it will have been much better to have had him now rather than have appointed him when the club would have been in premiership contention mode.

What may cost us a flag in 5, 7, 9 years time however, is list management. Now, as long as those within the club know that the recruiters are good enough, then the main priority must be to secure someone who currently is, or will eventually be in the top 6 footy managers in the comp - this is a non-negotiable. No cheap middle of the roaders.

We need someone who is elite, and someone who isn't short-sighted (everyone in this role over the past 15 years has overseen a raft of costly recycled recruits and other cock ups), and above all else, someone who can negotiate with the best of them. It also must be someone that has the power and the balls to overrule the coach - it CANNOT be someone who'll essentially be a McCartney sidekick who will gleefully agree to offering up second rounders for the likes of Bate and Dawes.

We must put our money where our mouth is and tally up some big dollars to lure the right person. This bloke will be overseeing a salary cap of $50million over the next 5 years, and overseeing a total footy department spend probably worth double that ... so when an opportunity may pop up for a gun in this role at $500K p.a., and our budget is $300Kp.a., the club really needs to weigh up the true cost of that $200Kp.a. "saving" against a) what will be a $20mil p.a. footy department spend by the end of his first contract, b) what a premiership team building footy manager would bring in to the club in terms of future revenue, and b) the millions in damage a short sighted buffoon in this role may inflict in the longer term.

So, do we headhunt? Andrew Ireland? Neil Balme? Does anyone think we go with a "rookie" footy manager, and hope he grows into the role?

bulldogtragic
27-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Great thread Guido.

I'd prefer we spend our excess cash on a proven footy manager, rather than a big name FA. Someone like a Balme would be massive for our tilt going forward.

I don't know what our chances are though, but that shouldn't stop us from trying.

GVGjr
27-05-2013, 07:44 PM
I've always thought that someone like Chris Bond could be a very good rookie Football Department Manager.
He's been a senior assistant coach, run a VFL side, he's also been a successful list manager and I think he could develop into a senior role like this at a club like ours.

Plenty of more experienced types but we need someone with a modern approach who can project the trends and someone who could work well within a limited budget compared to the bigger clubs.

ledge
27-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Is that the type of role Ben graham might get after the VFL side starts up ?

Ghost Dog
27-05-2013, 08:10 PM
IMO who is going to oversee the club's football department over the next 5-8 years is the biggest and most important question facing the club right now and what the top end management and admin of the club should be focused on. Many threads last week were focusing who needed to go, but I think this perspective was arse-about.

Assuming there's no change in CEO or coach in the next couple of years, then the most critical appointment this club will make in this time frame is the bloke who will orchestrate the next premiership tilt : the footy manager.

As long as nothing about the club stinks (i.e. players walking), then there is absolutely no urgency in needing to make rash decisions at other levels of the club - anyone that's poor in their role at the moment, be it fitness guys or any of the coaching staff, it will not cost us a flag in 5-6-7-8 years time. They can be replaced at the pointy end of the cycle. If by the end of of next year the jury decides that McCartney isn't a good enough head coach, it will have been much better to have had him now rather than have appointed him when the club would have been in premiership contention mode.
?

Fair enough. But disagree with this part. A premiership is a fickle chance. You need absolutely everything to go right and luck still. I live in Geelong; and the thing all Geelong supporters say is they have a stellar off field department from top to bottom at Skilled stadium. From the masseurs to the boot strappers.

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-05-2013, 08:54 PM
I've always thought that someone like Chris Bond could be a very good rookie Football Department Manager.
He's been a senior assistant coach, run a VFL side, he's also been a successful list manager and I think he could develop into a senior role like this at a club like ours.

Plenty of more experienced types but we need someone with a modern approach who can project the trends and someone who could work well within a limited budget compared to the bigger clubs.

Chris Bond was highly respected by our senior players before accepting the Freo position and should come under consideration. There is also big wraps on David Noble at the Adelaide Crows who also has spent time some time ago at the Bulldogs. Both Bond and Noble would be worthy contenders. My understanding from the inner sanctum is that there has been a lot of interest in the role.

Doc26
27-05-2013, 08:56 PM

Like your thinking GVGjr. And although only a part of the role, he was both respected and liked by the playing group during his period with us. He was often singled out by the players on award nights for his contribution to their development.

LongWait
27-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Bond would be a bold appointment but he would surely have to tick a lot of boxes. My initial reaction is positive - left field - but like it.

GVGjr
27-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Bond would be a bold appointment but he would surely have to tick a lot of boxes. My initial reaction is positive - left field - but like it.

I think there would be a lot of good candidates but nominated Bond as someone who could potentially grow into the job. He's moved on from having coaching ambitions but this seems like a logical step.

I'm not sure many GM's of Football Departments would find us an attractive destination because of our financial constraints so maybe we have to get someone who will grow into the position.

What about some other names just for the hell of it.

Choco Williams? - Seen it all and has a bit of charisma
Chris Pelchen? - Ruthless and focused.

GVGjr
27-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Chris Bond was highly respected by our senior players before accepting the Freo position and should come under consideration. There is also big wraps on David Noble at the Adelaide Crows who also has spent time some time ago at the Bulldogs. Both Bond and Noble would be worthy contenders. My understanding from the inner sanctum is that there has been a lot of interest in the role.

I hadn't considered Noble who probably has his hands full at the moment at the Crows given he is in a new position.

Does Bond have the corporate image that might be one of the requirements?
I always found him to be a great communicator but it might be a gap in his otherwise impressive resume.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2013, 09:23 PM
I think there would be a lot of good candidates but nominated Bond as someone who could potentially grow into the job. He's moved on from having coaching ambitions but this seems like a logical step.

I'm not sure many GM's of Football Departments would find us an attractive destination because of our financial constraints so maybe we have to get someone who will grow into the position.

What about some other names just for the hell of it.

Choco Williams? - Seen it all and has a bit of charisma
Chris Pelchen? - Ruthless and focused.
I can't stand Pelchan. He evokes annoyance in me.

Choco I would like in a role like Eade has at the pies.

GVGjr
27-05-2013, 09:27 PM
I can't stand Pelchan. He evokes annoyance in me.

My opinions of anyone appointed to the position would be more around if they could do a great job. I wouldn't have to love someone like Pelchen if I was close to 100% certain he could do a great job.

Guido is right, this is a critical appointment so for me it comes down to if they can do a great job.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2013, 09:34 PM
My opinions of anyone appointed to the position would be more around if they could do a great job. I wouldn't have to love someone like Pelchen if I was close to 100% certain he could do a great job.

Guido is right, this is a critical appointment so for me it comes down to if they can do a great job.
I agree. But how much of Hawthorns success can you put down to him?

In a nutshell name all of his achievements which no one else could have achieved?

I'm more than happy to recontextualise him in my mind, just not sure on what grounds I would do that.

azabob
27-05-2013, 09:35 PM

He would be a good candidate. From my understanding he is already doing a very similar role at the dockers?

My only concern could be is we have a relatively young CEO, so can we afford to also have a relatively young footy manager?

GVGjr
27-05-2013, 09:35 PM
I agree. But how much of Hawthorns success can you put down to him?

In a nutshell name all of his achievements which no one else could have achieved?

I'm more than happy to recontextualise him in my mind, just not sure on what grounds I would do that.

Any other names spring to mind for the position assuming we can't get someone from another club?

azabob
27-05-2013, 09:36 PM
What about Scott Clayton?

dog town
27-05-2013, 09:39 PM
My vote would be for Neil Balme. Might be sick of the trip down to Geelong every day and ready for a new challenge. As Guido said we are going to have to pay overs to get someone to leave and cop the fact that we are using money we don't necessarily have. Dean Moore from Sydney might be another option.

Certainly agree with the sentiment that this is our most important appointment for some time. Your footy manager is the one constant in your football department in an ideal world and will shape the way we look for some time.

GVGjr
27-05-2013, 09:43 PM
What about Scott Clayton?

His resume isn't varied enough for mine but he might a consideration.

What appeals about Clayton to you Aza?

azabob
27-05-2013, 09:46 PM
His resume isn't varied enough for mine but he might a consideration.

What appeals about Clayton to you Aza?

You are right about his resume being varied, but he has been at a lot of successful clubs and seen clubs build from the ground up.

He is a very savvy negotiator, however having said that Jason McCartney seems to have a good head on his shoulders for that type of thing.

Go_Dogs
27-05-2013, 09:56 PM
My vote would be for Neil Balme.

Agreed, he'd be a great appointment. I don't know enough about who may be viable options to add any other names to the mix, but for mine Balme stands out.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Any other names spring to mind for the position assuming we can't get someone from another club?
Not sure really.

If the stink of the drugs saga doesn't follow him, Paul Hamilton seems to have a few runs on the board and is a free agent.

I'd like to think we could land a seasoned and steady hand.

Adrian Anderson is a free agent too :)

Damn.. I can't save and load the picture on this page (second one down)!! Pictures say more than words....

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/adrian-andersons-career-with-the-afl/story-e6frf9jf-1226530412053

bornadog
27-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Guido you are spot on with your assessment. To me its got to be an experienced manager, who can lead teams, knows about football and how to run large departments. If you look at Collingwood, they have an ex CEO as their football manager. The football Department has become huge at every club and therefore a rookie manager will not work.

It would be great if we could entice Neil Balme or someone of that calibre. What I do understand is the club is making a thorough search for the right person and they do not want to rush things.

LongWait
27-05-2013, 11:02 PM
Guido you are spot on with your assessment. To me its got to be an experienced manager, who can lead teams, knows about football and how to run large departments. If you look at Collingwood, they have an ex CEO as their football manager. The football Department has become huge at every club and therefore a rookie manager will not work.

It would be great if we could entice Neil Balme or someone of that calibre. What I do understand is the club is making a thorough search for the right person and they do not want to rush things.

I wonder whether Templeton would be interested?

bornadog
27-05-2013, 11:05 PM
I wonder whether Templeton would be interested?

Can we afford him, but yes he would be a good appointment. Pretty sure I mentioned his name in another thread.:)

GVGjr
27-05-2013, 11:10 PM
I've undersold Chris Bond, he's already the GM of Football Operations at Fremantle. He would be no rookie appointment. Hard to see how we could persuade him to leave Fremantle

General Manager Football Operations - Chris Bond

A former Captain, Chris joined the Club in October 2007 as General Manager — List Development. He was responsible for the Club’s list development, managing and developing the Club’s football information and technology systems, player recruitment, and opposition analysis. In 2009, Chris was appointed GM Football Operations and oversaw major changes in the playing list as well as overseeing a new direction in coaching and player development, the introduction of a new player development academy and a remodelled recruiting structure. Chris played a total of 163 AFL games in his 10-year career, including 41 games for Fremantle. He moved into coaching in 2000 with the Western Bulldogs as an Assistant Coach as well as Coaching the Werribee Tigers in the VFL in 2001 and 2002.

bornadog
27-05-2013, 11:16 PM
I've undersold Chris Bond, he's already the GM of Football Operations at Fremantle. He would be no rookie appointment. Hard to see how we could persuade him to leave Fremantle

Ok, wasn't aware he is already in a similar role, so yes he should be considered.

The only way to persuade him is to find out if he wants to live in Melbourne, rather than in Perth.

boydogs
28-05-2013, 12:28 AM
Is that the type of role Ben graham might get after the VFL side starts up ?

Thoughts Guido?

Twodogs
28-05-2013, 03:05 PM
My vote would be for Neil Balme.

If I were offered a choice between recruiting Buddy or Neil Balme I'd take Balme in a heartbeat. He'd be a huge get. The fact he drives past Whitten Oval everyday on the way to work is depressing.

We seem to have adopted a lot of the ethos of Geelong. We have cherry picked a lot of ideas from them and Who better to help instill the program than Balme? After all he was one of the people crucial in bringing it to Geelong in the first place.

He might just fancy taking the Gordon st offramp given we have Bmac and few other ex Geelong people in our footy dept. He could well be interested in working with them again.

Geelong fight hard to keep their staff though. It'd probably cost us a motza to get Balme but he would be worth every cent.

Guido
28-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Thoughts Guido?
I come back to a comment by Grant Thomas last year on Footy Classified, which I think would equally apply here.

"What has James Fantasia achieved in football that should have a senior AFL coach of over 10 years reporting to him, rather than the other away around?"

What are Ben Graham's credentials? Does it sit well that a coach who hired him in a part time role below him, now have to answer to him?

What's Graham (or Jason McCartney for that matter) achieved in football that would give him the respect of everyone below him, including the coach, and also across the industry?

If we're not going to head hunt a Balme or Ireland, then I think an ex AFL level CEO (in a similar vein to Ireland, Walsh) would be the best way to go, but simply being an ex-AFL level CEO shouldn't be enough in it's own right. I don't know enough about Templeton to have an opinion, never heard the bloke speak so can't really say he's a good fit ... but if he was a very good CEO, a strong negotiator, will add a mountain of knowledge re: the mechanics of top level sport, has a similar strategy to the club going forward, then excellent, but none of these are a given just because of his history.

Guido
28-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Fair enough. But disagree with this part. A premiership is a fickle chance. You need absolutely everything to go right and luck still. I live in Geelong; and the thing all Geelong supporters say is they have a stellar off field department from top to bottom at Skilled stadium. From the masseurs to the boot strappers.
Absolutely, but the point I was making was that these appointments aren't as critical now during a rebuilding phase as they will be during a premiership run in a few years time.

Maddog37
28-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Ian Robson?

boydogs
29-05-2013, 01:32 AM
If we're not going to head hunt a Balme or Ireland, then I think an ex AFL level CEO (in a similar vein to Ireland, Walsh) would be the best way to go

Ignoring the fact he is otherwise occupied, would you see Simon Garlick as a good fit for the role?

Twodogs
29-05-2013, 02:10 AM
Ignoring the fact he is otherwise occupied, would you see Simon Garlick as a good fit for the role?

Do you mean making Simon the footy Ops manager and parachuting someone else into the CEOs chair?

boydogs
29-05-2013, 02:43 AM
Do you mean making Simon the footy Ops manager and parachuting someone else into the CEOs chair?

I'm just trying to understand the type of person Guido thinks we should go after, I'm not suggesting Garlick should be moved.

Topdog
20-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Apparently it is going to be Wayne Campbell.

KT31
20-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Apparently it is going to be Wayne Campbell.

I hope you are wrong.