PDA

View Full Version : A MESSAGE FROM BRENDAN MCCARTNEY - Round 9

bornadog
29-05-2013, 04:05 PM
28 May 2013

As a coaching group, we saw the game probably very similarly to what our members and fans saw; a good start, and then a little patch where we hit the off button, but also some really significant steps forward in our ability to deal with the game when it wasn’t going our way.

In the second quarter, we conceded five goals to one in a ten minute period — the next ten minute period, St Kilda didn’t score at all and we were able to do that because we worked together as a group and were smarter with the ball. That was pleasing.

There were probably people out there watching, who may have wanted us to go a bit quicker with the ball and get the ball inside 50, but it was difficult when they put multiple numbers back in our forward line — and our priority was not to give the ball away. We actually dealt with the game and played the game the right way for that ten minute period. We did it through just being sensible and systematic.

When we fell behind a couple times after half time, there was calmness in the group and in particular our leaders, setting the example, and we were able to scramble the goal back from the centre bounce clearance or a good bit of play. More often than not we got the next one, and then we were back in the game — at the end we felt that we had a fair bit of ascendancy and really deserved the win.

Our leaders set the scene with their poise and common sense, they were in the right position more often than not, and were good when we had the ball. The experienced players were pretty strong with their bodies and commitment to the physical side of the game.

That led to some of our younger blokes also just showing great maturity, which is certainly a great indicator for the future. Our ability in the second quarter to survive and exist in the game when it wasn’t going our way was a really big step forward.

Every quarter, we were faced with an obstacle on the scoreboard, which mostly reflects what is happening on the ground, and we were able to work our way through it, by just staying in the contest and staying in the game — that is almost the number one sign of maturity.

There’s still an enormous amount to work on for us, and the players know that. We reviewed the game very similarly, as we did even after some of our poorer performances this year, where we broke down what we didn’t do well, and provided solutions.

We have moved on to Port Adelaide pretty quickly and have another big challenge ahead of us. It’s another interstate trip, but it’s an opportunity for us to play good footy again.

What we did enjoy, both players and coaches, was at the end of the St Kilda game, sharing the win with our members and fans who were present on the day.

For those who are travelling up to Darwin, I’ll see you at the game.

Brendan McCartney.

LostDoggy
29-05-2013, 04:21 PM
This guy has a lot of guts — in 5 years’ time, he's either going to be in the Rhode bucket, or hailed a genius. Either way, he's flying fast at a pretty low altitude…

Bumper Bulldogs
29-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Seriously nothing in it again. Can we just get on with next year!

LostDoggy
29-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Seriously nothing in it again. Can we just get on with next year!

I really value getting these insights from the senior coach's perspective.

I also applaud the club's emphasis toward supporter interaction this year in general

Ghost Dog
29-05-2013, 11:36 PM
I'd love it if one of these letters was written by Brendan and drawn by FDOTM.

Remi Moses
30-05-2013, 12:53 AM
I really value getting these insights from the senior coach's perspective.

I also applaud the club's emphasis toward supporter interaction this year in general

Same here. You just can't please some people.
If he didn't do it, he'd be accused of not being transparent .

ratsmac
30-05-2013, 10:37 AM
I like reading them too. At least he takes the time to write these.

bornadog
30-05-2013, 10:53 AM

No one is forcing people to read them. I think its a great initiative by the club.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-05-2013, 12:28 PM

i agree. i really enjoy reading these.