PDA

View Full Version : Match Preview - Round 10 - Western Bulldogs v Port Power - TIO Stadium

Go_Dogs
30-05-2013, 10:33 AM
When and Where

Saturday 1st June
TIO Stadium, 7.40pm

Last 5 Times

2012 R12 Western Bulldogs 13.17 (95) dftd Port Adelaide 8.9 (57) Etihad Stadium
2011 R22 Port Adelaide 15.7 (97) lost to Western Bulldogs 24.13 (157) AAMI Stadium
2010 R16 Western Bulldogs 12.11 (83) dftd Port Adelaide 7.5 (47) TIO Stadium
2009 R12 Western Bulldogs 21.11 (137) dftd Port Adelaide 7.2 (44) TIO Stadium
2008 R14 Western Bulldogs 20.15 (135) dftd Port Adelaide 11.15 (81) TIO Stadium

Key Stats

Port Adelaide Stat Western Bulldogs

12.9 Marks Inside 50 8.1

135 Contested Possessions 146.2

219 Uncontested Possessions 197.3

71.4% Effective Disposal % 69.9%

35.3 Clearances 39.2

10.4 Contested Marks 11.8

13.1 Centre Clearances 16.2

63 Tackles 62.9

Form leading in

Port Adelaide $1.62 WLLLL

After starting the season in cracking form the Power has crashed to a halt over the last four weeks, losing to Geelong, Carlton, Richmond and North after starting the season with good wins against against some lesser opponents or ones who hadn't hit their straps yet. Port will be desperate to get back on the winners list this week and will view this game as a great opportunity to do so.

Western Bulldogs $2.35 LLLLW

Well, after many a painful week we are back on the winners list after our hard fought win against St Kilda. We have been a patchy side this year, but have demonstrated that when we play well for long periods we can be a competitive team. We'll need to continue to strive for a consistent effort across the game but I think we would've taken some confidence out of last week and should be primed for what is another winnable game.

Line Ups (Round 10)

Western Bulldogs

B: Liam Picken, Michael Talia, Brett Goodes
HB: Jason Johannisen, Jordan Roughead, Dale Morris
C: Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Clay Smith
HF: Dylan Addison, Liam Jones, Robert Murphy
F: Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Williams, Jake Stringer
Foll: Will Minson, Ryan Griffen, Nick Lower
Int: Daniel Giansiracusa, Mitch Wallis, Koby Stevens, Nathan Hrovat
Emerg: Jason Tutt, Lukas Markovic, Tom Campbell

Port Adelaide

B: Jack Hombsch, Alipate Carlile, Cameron O'Shea
HB: Tom Logan, Thomas Jonas, Hamish Hartlett
C: Kane Cornes, Travis Boak, Matthew Broadbent
HF: Brad Ebert, John Butcher, Angus Monfries
F: Robbie Gray, Jay Schulz, Justin Westhoff
Foll: Jarrad Redden, Oliver Wines, Chad Wingard
Int: Jake Neade, Campbell Heath, Kane Mitchell, Cameron Hitchcock
Emerg: Matthew Lobbe, Aaron Young, Paul Stewart

Key Matchups

Picken v Hartlett
I think this match up makes sense as Hartlett is a player who struggles under a hard tag. He is probably more a player who plays outside the contest at this stage and Liam is the best option. Keep Hamish quiet and it will drain Port of quality kicking and run and go a long way to setting up victory. For mine, he's their most damaging (yet inconsistent) player.

Lower v Boak
Boak is their most effective inside player at this stage and seems a good match up for Lower because he doesn't have break neck speed. I think Nick should be able to out body Boak around the stoppage and generally make his life miserable. Can't wait.

Roughead v Schultz
Schultz has developed into a consistent performer and will require a big bodied defender on him. It may well be we use Morris or Williams on Schultz and prefer to have Roughead play on Westhoff when he rolls forward, but I'd like to see us throw this challenge to Roughie.

Jones v Jonas
For mine, I'd play Williams forward which probably means Carlisle takes him. This will then mean Jones possibly gets a more favourable match up against Tom Jonas who is a developing key defender. Jones should have him in the size and strength department and could get a hold of him.

Griffen v Cornes
Expect it'll go this way. Cornes is having a very good season after many thought he was washed up after last year. He's still one of the better taggers getting around and can accumulate a lot of the ball himself. Griffen has improved his ability to deal with the tag significantly and with his added composure kicking goals must find ways to be damaging even if he can't rack up 30 touches and 10 clearances. Cornes won't like playing on Griff deep forward.

Where the game will be won and lost

Ball handling- The conditions always play a big part in Darwin and whoever is able to grab hold of the soapy ball and maintain control of it will go a long way to winning. We really need to be clean and take the ball first time. We need to be adaptable that if conditions require we soccer it forward, kick long etc. We didn't adapt well last time we played in the wet against the Crows and I hope we do better in slippery conditions this week.

Spread - As always the spread is super important. We have been a dominant centre clearance side in the AFL this year (second only to Hawthorn) and we simply must continue to get reward for clearances. We need to spread well and force Port to waste their energy chasing our tails. Port have a few players who can damage when given space and time, so we need to be mindful of their spread too.

Will Minson - I'm confident Will can clean up again this week and throw his weight around. I'd love to see him drift forward and demand the ball as I think Port will struggle defensively to match him up. As he has demonstrated this year, his hit out and clearance work is top notch and I can't see any of Port's big men matching him.

Verdict

The Dogs will be confident after last weeks win against the Saints and the Power are ripe for the picking. I expect we'll win this one in a tightly fought game. I think the conditions should suit out hard nosed midfield and expect we can wear the Power down contest by contest. It's a good opportunity for our tall forwards with Trengove out so hopefully one of our key forwards can kick a bag.

Western Bulldogs by 17 points

Go_Dogs
30-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Teams to be added once released tonight.

bornadog
30-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Well done on the preview and pretty spot on how it will go.

Seemed Minson did most of the ruck work last week. I guess Williams will be there to help him out as a second ruck again, but he will need help under the conditions. Port have been slow starters this season and played alot of catch up footy. We need to show our dominance from the first quarter and get on top early as Port are good finishers. Having said that, Darwin is a different prospect with the humidity, so by the last the players will be out on their feet.

I agree Dogs by a few goals.

KT31
30-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Good preview Griff16.
Only team in the comp we seem to have the wood over.
Hopefully two in a row to the Doggies.

G-Mo77
30-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Boyd ruled out with another calf injury. That hurts.

Go_Dogs
30-05-2013, 03:08 PM

Very disappointing, played a great game on the weekend.

Maddog37
30-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Cross or Wallis can play that role.

bulldogsfight
30-05-2013, 03:12 PM
just heard Tom Young out??

Axe Man
30-05-2013, 03:13 PM

No Cooney and Boyd makes things tougher. On the plus side there are a couple of decent replacements in Cross and Wallis vying for Boyd's spot.

G-Mo77
30-05-2013, 03:13 PM

Really? Where did you hear that?

Go_Dogs
30-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Really? Where did you hear that?

If true that makes it interesting for selections. It seems Port will persist with Schultz, Westhoff and Butcher so we may need to bring in Markovic if Young can't get up.

Maddog37
30-05-2013, 03:19 PM
Fletcher Roberts come on down.

Go_Dogs
30-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Fletcher Roberts come on down.

Is he available for selection? Missed with a cold last week IIRC, so perhaps he could be the man to come in. Would actually be a reasonable match up on another young player in Butcher - good suggestion.

always right
30-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Hope the selctors bite the bullet with Roberts and resist the urge to go conservative with Marcovic.

Boyd and Cooney will be missed but if there's a game you can get by with a couple of hardbody but slow replacements like Cross or Wallis....it's up in Darwin. Sure hands are more important than speed in the slippery conditions.

Doc26
30-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Good work Griff.

Tutt or Wallis as a replacement for Boyd would be my preference and probably in that order.
We need to see more of Tutt's capability at this level to better assess his future.

bornadog
30-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Good work Griff.

Tutt or Wallis as a replacement for Boyd would be my preference and probably in that order.
We need to see more of Tutt's capability at this level to better assess his future.

Agree, but we can't stick him in the forward line like the North game, he must play on the wing.

Cyberdoggie
30-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Hope the selctors bite the bullet with Roberts and resist the urge to go conservative with Marcovic.

Boyd and Cooney will be missed but if there's a game you can get by with a couple of hardbody but slow replacements like Cross or Wallis....it's up in Darwin. Sure hands are more important than speed in the slippery conditions.

A good point, it usually is slippery and lot's of stoppages up there. You would have to consider Wallis and Cross on that basis.

bornadog
30-05-2013, 05:49 PM

Talia would have to come in if that is the case.

always right
30-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Good work Griff.

Hmmm......Tutt appears to be one of our worst fumblers when the ball is below his knees. Not sure how he'd handle the conditions in Darwin. Crossy in for me.....hard body, hard runner, sure hands.

lemmon
30-05-2013, 07:28 PM
In- Wallis, Talia
Out- Boyd, Young

Go_Dogs
30-05-2013, 07:32 PM
In- Wallis, Talia
Out- Boyd, Young

Don't mind that. Bulldogsfight, your info was spot on.

Talia to Butcher I presume? Look forward to seeing how he goes.

LostDoggy
30-05-2013, 07:46 PM
$2.90 under 39, I am going to eat the hell out of that!

$13 for overs just in case, worthy for a Fifty one would think.....

lemmon
31-05-2013, 12:50 AM

Gamble responsibly ;)

Go_Dogs
31-05-2013, 02:16 AM
Busy night - have updated the selected sides.

DragzLS1
31-05-2013, 01:22 PM

All over it like a bad rash! I will get the line under total match points double.. Will be low scoring and if the line is up around the 180 mark then im in!

KT31
31-05-2013, 01:48 PM

Is that you Tom Waterhouse ???:D

Remi Moses
31-05-2013, 03:40 PM
I reckon those selections might be giving us a preview that Austin, Markovic and Cross won't be there next season.

DragzLS1
31-05-2013, 07:08 PM
I reckon those selections might be giving us a preview that Austin, Markovic and Cross won't be there next season.

Think your right. Cross will be but the other 2 will be gone.

chef
31-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Think your right. Cross will be but the other 2 will be gone.

I reckon this might be Crossy's last year unfortunately.

Bulldog4life
31-05-2013, 08:11 PM
I reckon this might be Crossy's last year unfortunately.

Might keep Crossy and tell him that he won't be guaranteed a game. Need a couple of experienced players for our VFL team.

chef
31-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Might keep Crossy and tell him that he won't be guaranteed a game. Need a couple of experienced players for our VFL team.

I was thinking that he should offered the Footscary team captaincy next year if he's not kept on our list.

bornadog
31-05-2013, 11:55 PM
I was thinking that he should offered the Footscary team captaincy next year if he's not kept on our list.

The board has to vote on that - apparently later in the year.

chef
01-06-2013, 08:12 AM
The board has to vote on that - apparently later in the year.

It has to be. We need to start a campaign.

Dancin' Douggy
01-06-2013, 09:03 AM
It's a pretty big statement to not bring Cross in as a replacement for Boyd.

If this was a final or a 'chance to make the finals' type game you'd think Cross would be the automatic choice to come in.

Changing of the guard........

Cyberdoggie
01-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Tutt has definately travelled up to Darwin with the team, probably just the emergency at this stage though.

LostDoggy
01-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Is that you Tom Waterhouse ???:D

:) same initials but I'm not as big a tool.

bornadog
01-06-2013, 06:22 PM

Are you as rich :D

comrade
01-06-2013, 06:34 PM

Actually a very lovely guy.

LostDoggy
01-06-2013, 06:34 PM
All over it like a bad rash! I will get the line under total match points double.. Will be low scoring and if the line is up around the 180 mark then im in!

I think that double is at 2.90 so not bad mate. We have got out to 3.10 under and 15 over.

Seriously wish Boyd was playing or at least Cooney. We are lacking Senior runners.

But we own Port up there and at them prices, I'm backing us in. It's hard to turn around 4 games on the trot. Maccas backed the kids in! Go Dogs.

On a side note Ralphy says He cant kick a footy and has a ball drop like Scotty Wynd?

LostDoggy
01-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Are you as rich :D

:) I'm considering dropping half a pay check on us tonight....so no I am not Rich.

Tom might be a nice guy, just hasn't had his best last couple of months and for some reason rubs me up the wrong way. Really shouldn't say the word Mum in the same sentence as any Odds. :)