PDA

View Full Version : Minno's 2013 Season

bulldogtragic
30-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Some in the media have him in the All Australian Squad and Cam Mooney has him leading our B&F.

In a dark year he has been a real standout. But Just how good has his season been to date?

LostDoggy
30-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Outstanding effort by big Will, I have been a big fan since he joined and thought he suffered under Rod. He really seems to have come of age and his endurance is incredible. Still prone to the odd brain fade and I don't agree with some posters suggesting he should be captain but he is certainly a leader and a vice captaincy would seem justified.

Go_Dogs
31-05-2013, 02:02 AM
Outstanding effort by big Will, I have been a big fan since he joined and thought he suffered under Rod. He really seems to have come of age and his endurance is incredible. Still prone to the odd brain fade and I don't agree with some posters suggesting he should be captain but he is certainly a leader and a vice captaincy would seem justified.

Great assessment, agree with the lot. Really didn't seem to get a good run previously but has grown to become a very important component of our side. Not sure if he's captain material, but is a great leader and role model for our younger players.

He's definitely in AA contention for mine. Bob Murphy was on 5AA in Adelaide tonight and based on the discussions, it seems Bob and the Adelaide media agree he is right in the mix at the moment for AA.

Hotdog60
31-05-2013, 08:28 AM
I would go as far to say that if Will was taking double figure marks around the ground and I'm not just saying in the forward half and also had a DE of 80% he could well be in Brownlow contentions. It's just the other half of his game that needs to come to the party.

chef
31-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Having a great season, should be captain next season.

Cyberdoggie
31-05-2013, 12:40 PM
Having a great season, should be captain next season.

Because of his performances? or the way he conducts himself off and on the field?

Bulldog4life
31-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Minno has been great this year. The way he bulldozes through on those centre bounces is terrific to watch.Loves the Club too.At this stage would be a worthy AA nomination.

chef
31-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Because of his performances? or the way he conducts himself off and on the field?

Because he screams leader on the field IMO. Plus the way he conducts himself off as I've heard.

always right
31-05-2013, 01:42 PM
For someone who doesn't do a lot around the ground from a marking and posessions perspective, the influence he has on games through hus ruckwork is really impressive.

For those who state he should not be captain, I'd be interested to understand your reasoning. He's having a great year on the back of a very good year, he spends 90% of the game on the ground, he has physical presence, he's demonstrative, a team player and speaks well. Ticks a lot of boxes as far as I'm concerned. It might just be what heneeds to take him to the next level and eliminate completely the occasional brain fades he still has.

lemmon
31-05-2013, 01:47 PM
For someone who doesn't do a lot around the ground from a marking and posessions perspective, the influence he has on games through hus ruckwork is really impressive.

For those who state he should not be captain, I'd be interested to understand your reasoning. He's having a great year on the back of a very good year, he spends 90% of the game on the ground, he has physical presence, he's demonstrative, a team player and speaks well. Ticks a lot of boxes as far as I'm concerned. It might just be what heneeds to take him to the next level and eliminate completely the occasional brain fades he still has.

I wouldn't have a problem with him being captain, obviously a leader around the group eg his big mans eating club, but if we are basing it purely on his ability to take games by the scruff of the neck does he do it any more than Griff? If it were to come down to first choice Ryan would be my man, that's if he wants the gig obviously.

Remi Moses
31-05-2013, 03:44 PM
I have him as the All Australian ruckmen. As is often the case ruckmen show their best form in their late 20's

bornadog
31-05-2013, 04:06 PM
I loved the way Dermie described him the other week, he is a bully in the ruck and that is what you need. His ruckwork is superb.

I agree Macca's assessment of Minson

Despite the ruckman’s impressive record around the stoppages, McCartney said he was working closely with Minson to develop other areas of his game and was confident there was still plenty of improvement left in the 145-gamer.

“Ruckman are more than just hit the ball to the mids and that’s it, they need to be able to defend around the ground and create opportunities with the ball around the ground,” he said.

“There’s still improvement in Will, there’s still a lot more to work on and he’s aware of that too.

“But he’s had a remarkably good year for us, it’s been fantastic.”

F'scary
31-05-2013, 04:30 PM
He has played much better ever since he stopped drinking soy milk.

Maddog37
31-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Macca will never stop expecting players to improve. Winning attitude.

GVGjr
31-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Because he screams leader on the field IMO. Plus the way he conducts himself off as I've heard.

I have a lot of respect for Will and his leadership skills but he isn't the greatest ambassador for the club. His efforts with a couple of the Port Power players have probably put a stop to him being the captain of the club.

boydogs
31-05-2013, 10:54 PM
His efforts with a couple of the Port Power players have probably put a stop to him being the captain of the club.

What is this in reference to?

azabob
31-05-2013, 11:20 PM

His on field comments.

GVGjr
31-05-2013, 11:55 PM

He made comments to Kane Cornes and Danyle Pearce that weren't in good taste.

If you do a search you can read more about it.

LostDoggy
01-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Will is in terrific form. His work in the ruck is one of the reasons we are a good clearance side, and I agree with Brereton about Will being a bully, the best ruckmen are. Unfortunately, he isn't doing enough elsewhere to warrant AA selection. Macca's comments sum it up - "Ruckman are more than just hit the ball to the mids and that’s it, they need to be able to defend around the ground and create opportunities with the ball around the ground,” he said. “There’s still improvement in Will, there’s still a lot more to work on and he’s aware of that too." To be in AA contention, Will needs to develop the rest of his game, that is defend more, take more marks, especially contested, and kick/create more goals. As for captain, I have to agree with GVGjr, his copybook is forever blotted, plus his 'individuality' and sometimes contrary nature don't recommend him for the job. Much-loved and admired though he is, both within and outside the club, Will is still very much a work in progress, both as a player and a leader.

Ghost Dog
01-06-2013, 12:44 PM
If he gets an injury, we are cactus.

Dancin' Douggy
01-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Will is in terrific form. His work in the ruck is one of the reasons we are a good clearance side, and I agree with Brereton about Will being a bully, the best ruckmen are. Unfortunately, he isn't doing enough elsewhere to warrant AA selection. Macca's comments sum it up - "Ruckman are more than just hit the ball to the mids and that’s it, they need to be able to defend around the ground and create opportunities with the ball around the ground,” he said. “There’s still improvement in Will, there’s still a lot more to work on and he’s aware of that too." To be in AA contention, Will needs to develop the rest of his game, that is defend more, take more marks, especially contested, and kick/create more goals. As for captain, I have to agree with GVGjr, his copybook is forever blotted, plus his 'individuality' and sometimes contrary nature don't recommend him for the job. Much-loved and admired though he is, both within and outside the club, Will is still very much a work in progress, both as a player and a leader.

I agree with all this, but in Will's defence, he's really our only ruckman.
If he's supposed to contest every ball up and throw in around the ground, it doesn't leave much time to also drop into the hole in the backline and provide a scoring target in the forward line as well. We need to engineer a way for Will to become more multi faceted by providing him some ruck relief.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2013, 03:08 PM
I agree with all this, but in Will's defence, he's really our only ruckman.
If he's supposed to contest every ball up and throw in around the ground, it doesn't leave much time to also drop into the hole in the backline and provide a scoring target in the forward line as well. We need to engineer a way for Will to become more multi faceted by providing him some ruck relief.
Exactly this. Hard to play multiple roles when he plays nearly 100% of game time, mainly following the contests around.