PDA

View Full Version : Is Brett Goodes best 22?

lemmon
31-05-2013, 01:35 PM
We all love the story of Brett, 28 year old guy who finally achieves the dream after years of running around the lower leagues but on what he has displayed this year is he in our best 22 or more importantly our best back 6?

He was excellent against Brisbane and we can't doubt his ball finding ability or courage but since then we have seen his kicking progressively become more hit and miss, at points he seems to struggle with the tempo and I think he can struggle one on one (it was something I noticed particularly against Freo when Fyfe was down there he gave him a bath). With that in mind does he fit into our back 6, both at the moment and when everyone is fully fit.

For me I would be looking at lining up something like:

FB: Morris, Rough, Young
B: JJ, Talia/Williams, Picken

Picken is the most interchangeable for one of Goodes, Wood, Pearce and at times we have seen Cooney and Griffen back there to add class or Lower when he doesn't have a match up. Where Picken plays has been debated ad nauseam but the job he did on Milne confirms for me he needs more time to develop down back, he has the physical attributes to go with just about any small forward in the league and lock them down. The biggest thing for mine that squeezes Goodes out is both the need for that extra tall in either Talia or Williams, Young was toweled up by Darling and its the Hargrave conundrum all over again, he needs a smaller player but he is definitely in our best 22 so for mine Young and Goodes are in direct competition, they both take the smaller half forward and both rebound and sweep up reasonably well, at the moment I'd have Young slightly ahead. So can you fit Goodesy into our best 22?

Maddog37
31-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Goodes is creative and very physical. Two attributes not many others in that back six can claim.

chef
31-05-2013, 02:11 PM
I don't think he is, I must admit I haven't been that impressed by him. Not that I'm an expert or anything.

Twodogs
31-05-2013, 02:18 PM
He just does to many undisiplined or stupid things for my liking. Whether it's slapping the ball away after a opponent has taken a mark, not being able to resist making contact with his opponent's face or not giving the ball back quickly enough after a free has been awarded against him he drives me to distraction sometimes.

Go_Dogs
31-05-2013, 02:35 PM
I think Goodes is certainly best 22 at the moment, but once Wood and Pearce are back from injury/regained touch he might get squeezed out. If he can iron out the silly errors he sometimes makes he can be a pretty handy player, I think he is capable of doing so the more he adjusts to the increased tempo and pressure. .

Could he be an option to play as a forward?

F'scary
31-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Has attributes but is not lock for selection. Play when in form.

G-Mo77
31-05-2013, 03:00 PM
At this stage yes, easily best 22.

He flew under the radar against oppositions early so expectations rose way too high amongst supporters and it's no surprise he's dropped back a little. He's played 7 games of AFL football even at his age he's still learning. I was happy with his game last week after a couple of down games. I'm a big fan of his, loved the way he played at Willy and love his hard at it playing style that he's given us. Until someone steps up he'll be in our 22 for the rest of the season.

bornadog
31-05-2013, 04:02 PM
We know he is not a long term prospect, but does bring some maturity to the backline which is currently missing (other than Morris). I think this year he is in our best 22 till others develop more. I don't believe Wood, Picken or even Pearce are very good in the backline and we don't really have many other options at this stage.

Bulldog4life
31-05-2013, 04:30 PM
We know he is not a long term prospect, but does bring some maturity to the backline which is currently missing (other than Morris). I think this year he is in our best 22 till others develop more. I don't believe Wood, Picken or even Pearce are very good in the backline and we don't really have many other options at this stage.

Agree with the bold part.

lemmon
31-05-2013, 04:34 PM
I think Pearce is an interesting one and I don't really get why he's a guy we seem content on developing in the 2's rather than getting games into. Just looks the type to end up a good, honest footballer. Nice athlete, skills are fine, will end up with a big body. In our current situation he's one I would to see play a fair few games in the run home off a half back flank

Doc26
31-05-2013, 04:44 PM
At this stage yes, easily best 22.

He flew under the radar against oppositions early so expectations rose way too high amongst supporters and it's no surprise he's dropped back a little. He's played 7 games of AFL football even at his age he's still learning. I was happy with his game last week after a couple of down games. I'm a big fan of his, loved the way he played at Willy and love his hard at it playing style that he's given us. Until someone steps up he'll be in our 22 for the rest of the season.

Although Lemmons case is quite sound, both views above resonate with my thinking on Brett Goodes circa 2013. Also agree with BD, that we are vulnerable with Picken and Wood as defenders. We have a challenge with our list in offering adequate defence and effective rebound off small damaging forwards of the Betts, Milne, Thomas ilk. O for a Jarrod Harbrow type.

bulldogtragic
31-05-2013, 04:51 PM
I'm in this camp too. In 12 to 18 months I would hope the list has moved beyond Goodes being best 22.

soupman
31-05-2013, 04:56 PM
I think Pearce is an interesting one and I don't really get why he's a guy we seem content on developing in the 2's rather than getting games into. Just looks the type to end up a good, honest footballer. Nice athlete, skills are fine, will end up with a big body. In our current situation he's one I would to see play a fair few games in the run home off a half back flank

Agreed. I'm a fan of Pearce and if we are looking to develop him as a versatile small as he seems to be playing as with Willy I'd like to see him given an opportunity to do so in the seniors.

always right
31-05-2013, 05:03 PM
I like Goodes and think he is best 22....at the moment.

DragzLS1
31-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Goodes is a winger not back 6. Just watch the way he runs and positions himself. My opinion anyway but currently is best 22 when confidence is up, unfortunately isnt very confident as of late

LostDoggy
31-05-2013, 08:54 PM
In today's footy you just cannot turn the ball over with poor disposal. Good sides are attacking from forcing turnovers, so to give the ball away is an absolute crime. Goodes is guilty of giving the ball away. He is what we want in that he runs, creates and is hard at it. But he kills us with unforced errors and a slightly cumbersome turning circle.

He is the best we have at the moment, but if we are to challenge for finals in the near future, I would hope we have picked up a similar type who is an elite kicker across half back.

LostDoggy
01-06-2013, 01:41 AM
I think he is this now but will be a depth player next season or sooner

jeemak
01-06-2013, 03:41 AM
Many might have expected him to carry on from his first game in the same fashion over the following weeks. Realistically he was probably going to struggle under pressure, just like anyone that's new to AFL senior football would.

We put him on the list for two to three years (max) of value due to our expectation he'll be able to cope with the rigours of AFL quicker than a younger draft pick or rookie selection might under the same circumstances.

While his first game was good, he's had a few off ones and a few OK ones and he's levelling out like a good younger draft pick might.

As he's older than your standard draft pick, you'd expect him to recover better and follow instructions better, and I think he's up for a very challenging second half of the year to prove he can do that.

He's probably best 22 now, but with a few to return from injury he'll be fighting it out with them for a spot in the back six in the second half of the year.

Remi Moses
01-06-2013, 04:23 AM
Hopefully Pierce can push through eventually.
Got an issue with Brett's decision making and execution to be honest.
Not sure whether at 29 that will improve.
Got the same issue with Wood, but would like to see him get a clear run at it.

Ghost Dog
01-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Not a bad bloke to have around while young kids are learning their craft. That's the whole idea.
Lays a nice block, and can kick a snap. Heart is in mouth when he takes the kick ins as well, but he's improved a bit in the few games he's had. JJ is killing him for kicking accuracy. His spot is there for the taking if Talia wants it badly enough.

stefoid
01-06-2013, 10:16 AM
We cant afford not to have two guys who can run and kick in the back 6. Talia and Goodes arent competing for the same spot. It would be Pearce/Howard/Tutt. Woods disposal isnt good enough play that role - he is more likely competing with Morris.

MrMahatma
01-06-2013, 10:18 AM
I think he is. He's handy, not great, but the whole back 6 need experience so he's not alone.

stefoid
01-06-2013, 10:18 AM
We would be on the lookout to trade in a young running player into the side you would think, similar to Young/Stevens.

Ghost Dog
01-06-2013, 11:08 AM
You honestly think Tutt is an AFL quality back? Howard's not shown anything He's a handy run and carry player. JJ already has a better kicking record.
We need a bit of hardness down there, and while JJ and Roughy seem to be doing well, Goodes ads a bigger body and some poise.

anfo27
01-06-2013, 11:46 AM
You honestly think Tutt is an AFL quality back? Howard's not shown anything He's a handy run and carry player. JJ already has a better kicking record.
We need a bit of hardness down there, and while JJ and Roughy seem to be doing well, Goodes ads a bigger body and some poise.

I think Stefoid isn't saying Tutt is AFL quality. I agree with Stefoid that Goodes is competing with the names he has mentioned & the only reason he was drafted was because those names are not at AFL standard. I think the drafting of Goodes shows how disappointing the development of Howard & Tutt have been. Neither look like they will make the grade to me.

He is in our best 22 currently as many have already stated. He does read the play very well back there but his decision making & execution needs to improve.

stefoid
01-06-2013, 12:01 PM
I think Stefoid isn't saying Tutt is AFL quality. I agree with Stefoid that Goodes is competing with the names he has mentioned & the only reason he was drafted was because those names are not at AFL standard. I think the drafting of Goodes shows how disappointing the development of Howard & Tutt have been. Neither look like they will make the grade to me.

He is in our best 22 currently as many have already stated. He does read the play very well back there but his decision making & execution needs to improve.

Yep.

Ghost Dog
01-06-2013, 12:01 PM

I get that, but I wouldn't have thought Tutt is in any serious contention for a spot in our back 6. Still, you never know. I doubted if Roughead would make it!

anfo27
01-06-2013, 12:11 PM
I get that, but I wouldn't have thought Tutt is in any serious contention for a spot in our back 6. Still, you never know. I doubted if Roughead would make it!

Maybe not but his skill set is ideal for that roll. Good pace & penetrating kick is what Gilbee had & what Tutt has. Haven't given up on him yet & considering he was last in the side as a half forward maybe the match committee don't see him in that role at all.
Thank god for JJs rapid development! Has been a pleasant surprise this year.

Ghost Dog
01-06-2013, 12:18 PM
There was one play V Eagles where he out tackled one of their Gorillas, Cox, I think it was.

Anyway, Tutt kept at him and Cox stopped when the whistle went. Thought he had the free and got pinged for holding the ball!
Tutt has really improved his hardness this season. If he keeps improving there's a spot for him. But it's not down back IMO.

chef
01-06-2013, 09:49 PM
These conditions seem to be suiting him the least.

Raw Toast
01-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Interesting thread, enjoyed reading the comments.

Yet to see tonight's game, but Goodes seemed prominent.

He's had some bad moments, but we were pretty putrid coming out of the backline without him. Yes, he has turned the ball over too much, but we also need someone who takes risks coming out of the backline. And as others have noted, his hardness is exceptional and something we really need.

So the answer is a clear yes for mine - he's got a bit of an upside, but of course we need to be grooming people to take his place.

Rance Fan
01-06-2013, 11:39 PM
Interesting thread, enjoyed reading the comments.

Yet to see tonight's game, but Goodes seemed prominent.

He's had some bad moments, but we were pretty putrid coming out of the backline without him. Yes, he has turned the ball over too much, but we also need someone who takes risks coming out of the backline. And as others have noted, his hardness is exceptional and something we really need.

So the answer is a clear yes for mine - he's got a bit of an upside, but of course we need to be grooming people to take his place.

....+1

SlimPickens
01-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Tonight's game was bipolar. To answer the question at half time no, at the end of the game absolutely!!!

Bulldog4life
02-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Tonight's game was bipolar. To answer the question at half time no, at the end of the game absolutely!!!

Ditto. Plays the spare man in the backline well. When he has a direct opponent can struggle but worth his position.

Sedat
02-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Yep, which highlights the folly of the Howard selection at the time. We could have rookied Goodes 4 years ago and had the same result as now, which would have allowed us to use our 1st round pick in 2009 on, you know, one of the elite TAC youngsters instead of someone not even on the radar at U18 level.