PDA

View Full Version : Biggest wasted talent???

bulldogtragic
01-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Who has been the biggest disappointment in the AFL. That is, has talent to burn but threw their opportunity away because of attitude?

Recently, Mitch Thorpe was said to be the best CHF seen in junior ranks. Laurie Angwin went pick 7, and we know how that worked out.

ledge
01-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Aaron James and Brendon Fevola

bulldogsfight
01-06-2013, 05:42 PM
D hargreaves

chef
01-06-2013, 06:36 PM
James Cook would have to be up there.

Twodogs
01-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Bucky. Michael Shepperbottom. Local kid, big, quick, aggressive and could kick goals from all over the field.

He just didn't want to be a footballer badly enough though.

chef
01-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Shane Loveless as well.

azabob
01-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Patrick Bowden.

Hotdog60
01-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Ron James, but not from the intended thought of the thread.
I was deeply sadden not to be able to see he's career unfold.

GVGjr
01-06-2013, 07:25 PM
I'd have someone like Hugh Reimers in the mix as someone who never realised his full potential on the field.

195cm defender was something we were crying out for but he didn't have a great run with injuries and I think his professional career was a distraction for him.

Adrian Campbell came up short on my expectations of him as well.

Scraggers
01-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Nathan Brown. Broken leg doesn't help, but he could have been anything.

chef
01-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Tom Williams, sadly.

bornadog
01-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Tom Williams, sadly.

Yes agreed

Remi Moses
01-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Bucky. Michael Shepperbottom. Local kid, big, quick, aggressive and could kick goals from all over the field.

Good cricketer as well. Just not committed, unfortunately

bulldogtragic
01-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Patrick Bowden.
Was the tin mans problem attitude?

westdog54
02-06-2013, 07:38 AM
Tom Williams, sadly.

Yes agreed

Not sure he's a wasted talent because of attitude as suggested by the OP.

Fevola is certainly the first that comes to mind. If he had even an ounce of professionalism he'd be a legend of the game.

chef
02-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Not sure he's a wasted talent because of attitude as suggested by the OP.

Fevola is certainly the first that comes to mind. If he had even an ounce of professionalism he'd be a legend of the game.

Obviously we didn't mean it that way, but your right.

Sedat
02-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Allen Jakovich, Rod Owen, Doc Whieldon - all prodigiously talented but lacked any semblance of work ethic to have a long term successful career

Maddog37
02-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Tony Liberatore.

Am I doing it right?

strebla
02-06-2013, 06:10 PM

Don't know that that is fair lucky enough to have played footy and cricket with Bucky a terrific bloke think he would have made it with the structures now in place. So many talented youngsters from that era.
I call em tweeners before the under 18's but after players were able to do
it for a living phil o'keefe is another. Body wise West was a gun when fit can't recal his first name damn he was tough.

bornadog
02-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Tony Liberatore.

Am I doing it right?

Please explain, if this is a joke I don't get it?:confused:

Ghost Dog
02-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Jason Akermanis. Some may think that on field success is the be all and end all. But is it?
In the end, the purpose is really to create outstanding teams of people, on and off the field.
Jason is no longer welcome at any club. He's a likable guy, but just lacks awareness.
He would have been fetted by Brisbane and us, and gained a following for the rest of his years. What a waste.

Maddog37
02-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Please explain, if this is a joke I don't get it?:confused:

Yes BAD it was supposed to be a joke. Obviously not a very good one!

Bulldog4life
02-06-2013, 07:57 PM

I remember him Twodogs. From Braybrook. He played seniors at 16 or 17 I'm pretty sure. Thought he was going to be a champ.

GVGjr
02-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Peter Baxter? Anyone over the age of 40 might remember him.
Tremendous sportsman from Avondale Heights / East Keilor way. Great junior cricketer and footballer. Got the worst injury a young guy could every get (kicked in the groin) that stymied his career for a long while but he never lived up to his potential by the time he arrived at the Bulldogs mainly just to persistent back injuries.

FrediKanoute
02-06-2013, 08:16 PM
Recent..... - T Walsh & J Grant & A Everitt

Not So recent - Phil O'Keefe; Ian "Chops" Rickman; Adrian Campbell; Sean Baxter

azabob
02-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Recent..... - T Walsh & J Grant & A Everitt

Not So recent - Phil O'Keefe; Ian "Chops" Rickman; Adrian Campbell; Sean Baxter

Can you please check the christian name of Baxter. Surely you can't mean Shaun Baxter?

Twodogs
02-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Don't know that that is fair lucky enough to have played footy and cricket with Bucky a terrific bloke think he would have made it with the structures now in place. So many talented youngsters from that era.
I call em tweeners before the under 18's but after players were able to do
it for a living phil o'keefe is another. Body wise West was a gun when fit can't recal his first name damn he was tough.

I didn't mean Michael any disrespect. Maybe it would have been better to say that he had things in his life that took precedence over football? Work and study commitments would have been more important back then rather than giving your entire life over to what was essentially a part time endeavour back in those days.

It's a good point you make about the increased opportunities for talented kids these days. Kids from areas like Braybrook and Maidstone would have a better chance of making a career at sports these days. Especially with the sports program at Maribyrnong College in place. Funnily enough one if my friends-who was immensely gifted sportsperson herself-has two daughters at Maribyrnong and they are thriving. One is in an underage Victorian rep soccer team member and the other is a promising athlete. She grew up in Braybrook too but never got the chances to make a decent go of a career in sports.

Twodogs
02-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Peter Baxter? Anyone over the age of 40 might remember him.
Tremendous sportsman from Avondale Heights / East Keilor way. Great junior cricketer and footballer. Got the worst injury a young guy could every get (kicked in the groin) that stymied his career for a long while but he never lived up to his potential by the time he arrived at the Bulldogs mainly just to persistent back injuries.

Was the one with all the tats, before every Tom, Dick and Dwane had a full sleeve? Or am I thinking of Phil O' Keefe?

GVGjr
02-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Was the one with all the tats, before every Tom, Dick and Dwane had a full sleeve? Or am I thinking of Phil O' Keefe?

That was Phil. Peter might have had one on his forearm.

bornadog
02-06-2013, 08:48 PM
That was Phil. Peter might have had one on his forearm.

I remember Peter Baxter, he was considered a very tough sort of player, went in pretty hard for the ball.

Dancin' Douggy
02-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Myself. I could have been a triple brownlow medallist, premiership captain, 400 game player and Olympic decathlete. But for the booze and ennui. And French Cinema.

The Doctor
02-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Adrian Campbell, really thought he was going to be a superstar. Injuries destroyed him

Justin Charles, I was disappointed when he left us and more so after his issues at Richmond.

Mark West, Lit up our 97 finals series but injuries ended his career as well

Andrejs Everitt - We were justified in taking him at pick 11 on talent alone but he just didn't have the work ethic required to make it at the highest level. Could/should have been a star.

bornadog
02-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Justin Charles, I was disappointed when he left us and more so after his issues at Richmond.

Went to the USA to play Baseball. I was not happy too when he came back and went to Richmond, but when he got done for drugs, I was glad it was with Richmond :D

lemmon
03-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Andrejs Everitt - We were justified in taking him at pick 11 on talent alone but he just didn't have the work ethic required to make it at the highest level. Could/should have been a star.

Has been pretty serviceable for the Swans this year, if we'd hung onto him I wonder whether he'd be playing as our second ruck/utility as we speak

strebla
03-06-2013, 03:31 AM
I didn't mean Michael any disrespect. Maybe it would have been better to say that he had things in his life that took precedence over football? Work and study commitments would have been more important back then rather than giving your entire life over to what was essentially a part time endeavour back in those days.

It's a good point you make about the increased opportunities for talented kids these days. Kids from areas like Braybrook and Maidstone would have a better chance of making a career at sports these days. Especially with the sports program at Maribyrnong College in place. Funnily enough one if my friends-who was immensely gifted sportsperson herself-has two daughters at Maribyrnong and they are thriving. One is in an underage Victorian rep soccer team member and the other is a promising athlete. She grew up in Braybrook too but never got the chances to make a decent go of a career in sports.

Wasn't having a go TwoDogs just wondering how many of my mates could have gone further as this thread shows many locals with an abundance of talent. I can't speak for everyone but Bucky and Phil O'Keefe aslo had a great character. Darren Brown was another who excelled at both footy and cricketand had great character along with too many others to name.On Maribyrnong college my young fella went there on a footy programand the set there is great don't think they have produced a player yet but know that when they do he will be very well prepared.

Ghost Dog
03-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Let's hope it won't be J. Grant.

westdog54
03-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Has been pretty serviceable for the Swans this year, if we'd hung onto him I wonder whether he'd be playing as our second ruck/utility as we speak

Its been said before but a first round draft pick should be a damn sight more than 'serviceable'.

Maddog37
03-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Depends really. If they play 300 serviceable games but are never elite I would be happy. John Blakey etc

Remi Moses
03-06-2013, 09:45 PM

He's been in and out in Sydney.
For a first rounder he has been average
Another Scott Clayton " best player in the draft":rolleyes:
Shaun Baxter had cancer,terribly sad year.
Mine would be Adrian Campbell. Had the wrap of the next KT, and unfortunately didn't come up

Twodogs
03-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Mine would be Adrian Campbell. Had the wrap of the next KT, and unfortunately didn't come up

Adrian Campbell did his knee playing for the twos out at VFL park in about 1992. The surgeon at the hospital said it was the worst knee injury he had seen. He compared the trauma to te knee as being similar to the victim of a motorcycle accident.

ledge
04-06-2013, 05:57 AM
I will go out in a limb and say Kelvin templeton, if not for the knee he would have been even better!

Twodogs
04-06-2013, 07:43 AM
I will go out in a limb and say Kelvin templeton, if not for the knee he would have been even better!

KT woud have been The. Greatest. Player. Of. All.Time. if it werent for the knee injury. Brownlow medalist, century goal kicker and dual coleman medalist all by the time he he was Liam Jone's age.

I kept telling North suporters that when Carey was at his prime. "pffft, if Templeton hadnt done his knee it would have been Wayne who????" It would drive them to distraction.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2013, 05:31 PM
KT woud have been The. Greatest. Player. Of. All.Time. if it werent for the knee injury. Brownlow medalist, century goal kicker and dual coleman medalist all by the time he he was Liam Jone's age.

I kept telling North suporters that when Carey was at his prime. "pffft, if Templeton hadnt done his knee it would have been Wayne who????" It would drive them to distraction.
24 scoring shots in a game. I can't see that club record being beaten ever. 24!!!!

ledge
04-06-2013, 06:03 PM
24 scoring shots in a game. I can't see that club record being beaten ever. 24!!!!

Is that also an AFL one ?

ledge
04-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Butch edwards had a lot of talent ruined by knee recos too

bulldogtragic
04-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Is that also an AFL one ?
Yep. I think KT is two more than Dunstall and Smith with 22.

24 posies. Good for a midfielder, let alone FF.

I can't imagine a FF having 24 scoring shots. Must have had some presence that his teammates kept going for him, and then the skill to mark knowing he'd be double or tripled teamed and then the composure to slot them. My vivid imagination can't imagine that, just phenomenal.

azabob
04-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Not sure if he was a big talent but he had hype - Aaron James.

Happy Days
04-06-2013, 08:58 PM
The entire St Kilda playing list from 2005-2010, the were supposed to win all of the flags no?

bulldogtragic
05-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Nick Davis. A part from the best quarter of footy anyone has ever played, the rest left a lot to be desired from a very gifted player.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Cooney.

He could have been one of the game's greats IMO. He hadn't even reached his peak, yet his 2008 was stellar and netted a brownlow. He simply could not be tagged; he was tough and could win his own ball, and he had elite speed with good decision making and good skills. Furthermore, his ability to kick bags of goals was almost unlike any other midfielder.

Cooney's story is one of the saddest for mine, because although he has been able to play some solid footy this year, we'll never see (or know) how great he could have been.

Ghost Dog
08-06-2013, 02:07 AM
Rather glass half empty isn't it?
There were guys on here swearing Coons had played his last game of proper footy. Every day he plays well for us is a gift from the footy gods/. Keep at it Adam.

Remi Moses
08-06-2013, 03:24 AM
Not sure if he was a big talent but he had hype - Aaron James.

Didn't Dermie compare him to Carey?

Remi Moses
08-06-2013, 03:30 AM
Allen Jakovich, Rod Owen, Doc Whieldon - all prodigiously talented but lacked any semblance of work ethic to have a long term successful career

Rocket Rod Owen and Doc Whieldon were regulars at an establishment I went to in the late 80's early 90's. Gotta say I never saw Rod Owen ever sober.
I think Stkilda are on record as saying they never looked after Owen properly( he debuted at 16) Both players were tremendously talented

comrade
08-06-2013, 03:31 AM
Guy O'Keefe :D

boydogs
08-06-2013, 03:53 AM
Liam Jurrah, Dayle Garlett

Twodogs
08-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Rocket Rod Owen and Doc Whieldon were regulars at an establishment I went to in the late 80's early 90's. Gotta say I never saw Rod Owen ever sober.
I think Stkilda are on record as saying they never looked after Owen properly( he debuted at 16) Both players were tremendously talented

The Tunnel?

Remi Moses
08-06-2013, 02:51 PM
The Tunnel?

Boardwalk

Before I Die
08-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Yep. I think KT is two more than Dunstall and Smith with 22.

24 posies. Good for a midfielder, let alone FF.

I can't imagine a FF having 24 scoring shots. Must have had some presence that his teammates kept going for him, and then the skill to mark knowing he'd be double or tripled teamed and then the composure to slot them. My vivid imagination can't imagine that, just phenomenal.

A true superstar, however we were destroying St Kilda and the coaches instructions at 3/4 time were to look for KT on every occasion to guarantee a club record. Much to the chagrin of Dunstan who was only one goal behind KT at 3/4 time. I was at the game and I think the umpire was working to the same instruction with some of the frees and marks he paid. This is not an attack on KT, he was sensational, but that last quarter wasn't about presence.

bulldogtragic
11-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Mike Sheehan has labeled Sam Kekovich as one of the biggest wated talents. To the older woofers, is that fair what was Keka like?

Twodogs
12-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Boardwalk

Vaguely remember the name. Where was it?

jeemak
12-06-2013, 01:50 AM
Cooney.

He could have been one of the game's greats IMO. He hadn't even reached his peak, yet his 2008 was stellar and netted a brownlow. He simply could not be tagged; he was tough and could win his own ball, and he had elite speed with good decision making and good skills. Furthermore, his ability to kick bags of goals was almost unlike any other midfielder.

Cooney's story is one of the saddest for mine, because although he has been able to play some solid footy this year, we'll never see (or know) how great he could have been.

Agree with this any day of the week.

The BS that ran through the popular media regarding Ablett's sorrow and sorry story that week was nothing short of disgraceful. The media, whilst being conciliatory to Ablett's loss should have been pumping up one of the best seasons by a 22 year old ever seen.

Cooney was something to behold that year, and his tailing off is a terribly sad story.

Remi Moses
12-06-2013, 02:47 AM
Vaguely remember the name. Where was it?

Banana alley Flinders st.
Owned by Tim Randall, Stephen Pirrie and I think Craig Stewart .

bornadog
12-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Mike Sheehan has labeled Sam Kekovich as one of the biggest wated talents. To the older woofers, is that fair what was Keka like?

Would have to agree, he was a great talent in his era, freakish at times, a big brute but from what I can remember, always injured.

LostDoggy
12-06-2013, 11:50 AM

When I first saw him I thought this is the one bloke who could be better than Whitten. A huge man in terms of bulk with great speed. Once he set off with the pill he would leave would be tacklers in his wake. Problem was he had no work ethic off the ground. No idea of preparation.

One summer, Whitten who had recently retired offered to help him prepare for the next season. He arranged for them to run together each morning. It was Whitten's practise to wrap himself in plastic when doing these mid-season runs to sweat off as much weight as possible. He encouraged Kekavich to do the same.

Keka lasted three mornings and wasn't prepared to get himself out of bed so early after that and so the sessions ended. As did Keka's potential to reach his peak.

Twodogs
12-06-2013, 11:50 AM

Dont think I ever went there.

I dont know about the biggest wasted talent but one bloke I always thought could have played a lot more senior games was a player from the mid '80s called John Bennett. He was a full forward who came to us from St Kilda and went back there after his time with us. He kicked 85 goals in the reserves in 1984 as well as 8 goals in 3 senior games.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/J/John_Bennett.html

Sedat
12-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Boardwalk was next door to the Sugar Shack if I remember correctly - if you were anywhere near 200 cms tall, your head would be touching the roof at both these clubs

Bulldog4life
12-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Would have to agree, he was a great talent in his era, freakish at times, a big brute but from what I can remember, always injured.

Spot on BAD. What a waste of talent. Could have been a superstar with the right attitude....... Was on Open Mike on Fox this week.

Twodogs
13-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Boardwalk was next door to the Sugar Shack if I remember correctly - if you were anywhere near 200 cms tall, your head would be touching the roof at both these clubs

I remember the Sugar Shack.

Remi Moses
13-06-2013, 12:48 AM

Ahh the sugar shack.Compulsory to look like someone out of that Grunge era.

Maddog37
13-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Played pool against the golf ball and Strawbs Odwyer at the sugar shack once. They were very messy!

azabob
13-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Jarred Grant certainly has talent - shame for whatever reason we won't be seeing it in the red, white and blue.

bulldogtragic
13-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Jarred Grant certainly has talent - shame for whatever reason we won't be seeing it in the red, white and blue.
Very similar to The Tin Man. And he will suffer the same fate.