PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Bulldogs Coach of All Time

bulldogtragic
01-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Self explanatory really. Of the journey your life span goes, who is the coach you most liked. Could be personality, innovation, winning record, ambassador, etc.

ledge
01-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Terry Wheeler, he gave the players their instincts back

lemmon
01-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Rocket, basket case to prelims playing a brand of footy we could be proud of. Had his critics but I don't think many others could have got what he did from Lake, Crossy, Gilbee, Hargrave and Boyd. These guys looked like being nothing more than dead wood early on

Go_Dogs
01-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Rocket, basket case to prelims playing a brand of footy we could be proud of. Had his critics but I don't think many others could have got what he did from Lake, Crossy, Gilbee, Hargrave and Boyd. These guys looked like being nothing more than dead wood early on

Agreed. I'm in my late twenties so not a huge amount of options for me, but Rocket is without a doubt the best in my time. I actually think the brand of footy we played in the later stages of 2005 was some of the best/most exciting footy I've seen the club play.

SonofScray
01-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Wallace for delivering to me the first Bulldog team that was head and shoulders above those dastardly salary cap breaking drug cheats from the other side of the Maribyrnong. 97/98 remain my favourite seasons of footy, we had a terrific mix. Run, aggro, class etc.

Eade. For obvious, factual reasons.

Both had worn thin on me by the end of their tenure but time has healed the wounds re: Wallace. Eade will be well remembered after this wave of the rebuild.

Maddog37
01-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Charlie Sutton.

Remi Moses
01-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Malthouse
Rocket
Wallace
Wheeler
Bluey

chef
01-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Wallet for me. I was heart broken when he left. But his apology healed that wound.

Hotdog60
01-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Rocket
Wallace
Wheeler

For me

AndrewP6
01-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Rocket, easily. Took us from cellar dwellers to playing exciting footy, and for the first time in a long time (for me), we were the hunted. Also a top bloke.

As a kid I had a soft spot for MM, and Bluey Hampshire. Got to meet both and they were good blokes.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Yeah, loved Rocket. Was young when Wheels was in charge so I can't really comment as a coach, but I like him personally. What was Malthouse like all those years ago??

P.s. - no love for Al Joyce!

LostDoggy
01-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Wheeler. Then Rocket (liked his early stuff better). Then current. Then Wallet. Then Malthouse. Then Rohde. Then Joyce.

LostDoggy
02-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Agreed. I'm in my late twenties so not a huge amount of options for me, but Rocket is without a doubt the best in my time. I actually think the brand of footy we played in the later stages of 2005 was some of the best/most exciting footy I've seen the club play.

I'm the same but in my early twenties.... so similar options. Although I liked Rocket a lot, he kind of wins by default. I mean, I'm sure as hell not going with traitor Terry or the traumatising experience that was Rhode, so....
I enjoyed the drastic improvement of so many of our players under Rocket. I was always nervous about the relationship he had with Lake though (I was always scared Lake would juct crack it and bail one day. Uh, well.... he did eventually I guess, jst not under Rocket as I expeted....)

BulldogBelle
02-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Bluey Hampshire.

Scraggers
02-06-2013, 01:24 AM
Wheeler
Rocket
Malthouse
Wallace

strebla
02-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Malthouse for me did love beating Carlton under bluey in 82 I think.singing the song in the rooms after the game is probably what turned me into the red,white and blue feral I am today.:D:D

Greystache
02-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Wallace for me. Took over a rabble of a team in a rabble of a club and turned them into a consistently good team. 97 and 98 were the only times in my life where I genuinely believed we could win the flag.

ledge
02-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Apparently bluey was absolutely loved by the club and players but just didn't want to coach.

LostDoggy
02-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Teddy for mine but not the best coach

Bulldog4life
02-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Teddy for mine but not the best coach

Had a lot of down years but one of only 2 coaches to get us into a Grand Final.

GVGjr
02-06-2013, 11:15 PM
I'm not going to try and judge who was the best bloke to have coached so I'll go with the best football I have seen us play and that was in 1985 under Mick Malthouse.

The Doctor
02-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Wallace - gave me the chance to dare to dream in 1997. The best coaching performance in my years of following the Dogs. We were exciting, we were underdogs, we were fierce, we were skilful, we had the wog squad, we had the brownlow medallist, we almost had it all. Sadly ego got the better of him after this season.

Wheeler - Loved Wheels. Brought us up when we were down. the 1990 season was so important to us after what we had been through and he had us knocking on the door of the finals, he gave birth to Chris Grant and Leon Cameron as 17yo's, and in them hope for a brighter future. After such a poor 1989 had we had a similar season a la Fitzroy 95/96 or Melbourne 2013 who knows what would have happened.

Rocket Eade - Made us the most attractive team in the comp to watch and nearly got us to the big dance 3 times. Excellent game day coach. Loved the way we ran teams off their legs and split defences with our run and precise kicking.

Malthouse - I still think the 1985 team he helped build is the best Footscray/Western Bulldogs team I have seen. That year we feared no one. The Dogs were compulsive viewing with players like Hardie, Hawkins, Foster, Royal & Kennedy we blended high level skill with hardness and again nearly made it to the big dance. Sadly again, he lost me after the Hardie affair.

Billy Goggin - I was only a little fella but I loved our 74 & 76 teams. I am still in awe of Dempsey, Quinlan, Templeton & Stoneham. Why did we let them all go????

bornadog
02-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Wallace - gave me the chance to dare to dream in 1997. The best coaching performance in my years of following the Dogs. We were exciting, we were underdogs, we were fierce, we were skilful, we had the wog squad, we had the brownlow medallist, we almost had it all. Sadly ego got the better of him after this season.

Wheeler - Loved Wheels. Brought us up when we were down. the 1990 season was so important to us after what we had been through and he had us knocking on the door of the finals, he gave birth to Chris Grant and Leon Cameron as 17yo's, and in them hope for a brighter future. After such a poor 1989 had we had a similar season a la Fitzroy 95/96 or Melbourne 2013 who knows what would have happened.

Rocket Eade - Made us the most attractive team in the comp to watch and nearly got us to the big dance 3 times. Excellent game day coach. Loved the way we ran teams off their legs and split defences with our run and precise kicking.

Malthouse - I still think the 1985 team he helped build is the best Footscray/Western Bulldogs team I have seen. That year we feared no one. The Dogs were compulsive viewing with players like Hardie, Hawkins, Foster, Royal & Kennedy we blended high level skill with hardness and again nearly made it to the big dance. Sadly again, he lost me after the Hardie affair.

Billy Goggin - I was only a little fella but I loved our 74 & 76 teams. I am still in awe of Dempsey, Quinlan, Templeton & Stoneham. Why did we let them all go????

Excellent post The Doctor. Like

Twodogs
03-06-2013, 08:37 AM

Wheeler is still my favorite. Although he was originally from Waburton he was Footscray through and through and bled red, white and blue.

Loved the Rocketman. He took us from a basketcase with a gameplan that looked like a crab devised (sideways, sideways, sideways) it and turned us into a terrific team to watch and almost pulled off the impossible

It was Bob Rose in 1974. But you're right-for raw talent alone that was an awesome team. Add Brian Wilson, Garry Baker and Barry Round to that list too.

LostDoggy
03-06-2013, 11:58 AM
I'd have to say Rocket purely because it was nice, for a change, going to games knowing we were going to hand out a hiding.

I'm hoping it'll be Macca before too long.

Sedat
03-06-2013, 12:50 PM
In my lifetime:

1. Rocket - Took over when we were a basket case and got us to 3 PF's in a row and almost winning 2 of them against far superior opposition. The rate of improvement he got out of a large group of (at the time) borderline players was massively underrated both externally and internally, and he moulded and shaped a defensive unit that was as good as anybody's at the time. Alas, his (and our) timing sucked - if we peaked 3-4 years earlier (say 2004-2006), he probably becomes a 2-time premiership coach at the Dogs. Pioneered the fast ball movement by foot game plan that was the precursor to Geelong. Just a gun match day coach.

2. Wallace - Took over when we were in even worse shape and proceeded to get us to 4 consecutive finals series, something no other Dogs coach has ever achieved. Pioneered the deep midfield rotations (before Plough it was a starting 4 midfield and nothing else really), and also perfected the small forward mis-match (through necessity), as well as the famous super-flood. Whilst there were no stand-out teams in 1997-1998 (unlike the Rocket era), his achievements at our club from 1997-2000 should not be underestimated. He also made us a fashionable and sexy team with his media savvy, no mean feet considering just how unfashionable we've been throughout our history. Plough just falls behind Rocket because he became too smart by half later in his time at the Dogs (probably following the super-flood) and tried to pull a rabbit out of the hat instead of working on a settled structure and game plan each week.

3. Malthouse - Gave us something we didn't have for over 20 years, hope and expectation. Moulded a fiercely determined (and in 1985, very talented) group who were very difficult to play against every week. Apart from 1985 (which was a sensational season and had us in it up to our eyeballs at 3/4 time of the PF), what he achieved in 1987 with an average list, and after losing the first 3 matches by a combined 300 points, was phenomenal and we were extremely unfortunate to miss out on the finals that season. He fizzled out in 1989 when the writing was on the wall at the club.

4. Wheeler - Took over when we actually didn't exist and gave us our pride and our club back. To get 12 wins in 1990 after the horrendous off-season we had was a sensational achievement, then to go on and win 16 matches in H&A in 1992 was a wild and exciting ride - 1992 still remains my favourite season of all time. Struggled to cope with opposition defensive strategies in 1993 but we still won 11 and lost 9 that season...I thought we pulled the trigger far too quickly on him in Round 2 the following season. As others have noted, his heart was completely immersed in the Bulldogs.

We've actually had 4 very good coaches (with differing skills and attributes) over the last 30 years, all of whom unfortunately ended their association at the club on a poor note. I hope BMac can be added to this list in 4-5 years' time.

Ghost Dog
03-06-2013, 01:05 PM
We have a history of treating coaches poorly on the exit.

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-06-2013, 05:35 PM
In my lifetime:

1. Rocket - Took over when we were a basket case and got us to 3 PF's in a row and almost winning 2 of them against far superior opposition. The rate of improvement he got out of a large group of (at the time) borderline players was massively underrated both externally and internally, and he moulded and shaped a defensive unit that was as good as anybody's at the time. Alas, his (and our) timing sucked - if we peaked 3-4 years earlier (say 2004-2006), he probably becomes a 2-time premiership coach at the Dogs. Pioneered the fast ball movement by foot game plan that was the precursor to Geelong. Just a gun match day coach.

2. Wallace - Took over when we were in even worse shape and proceeded to get us to 4 consecutive finals series, something no other Dogs coach has ever achieved. Pioneered the deep midfield rotations (before Plough it was a starting 4 midfield and nothing else really), and also perfected the small forward mis-match (through necessity), as well as the famous super-flood. Whilst there were no stand-out teams in 1997-1998 (unlike the Rocket era), his achievements at our club from 1997-2000 should not be underestimated. He also made us a fashionable and sexy team with his media savvy, no mean feet considering just how unfashionable we've been throughout our history. Plough just falls behind Rocket because he became too smart by half later in his time at the Dogs (probably following the super-flood) and tried to pull a rabbit out of the hat instead of working on a settled structure and game plan each week.

3. Malthouse - Gave us something we didn't have for over 20 years, hope and expectation. Moulded a fiercely determined (and in 1985, very talented) group who were very difficult to play against every week. Apart from 1985 (which was a sensational season and had us in it up to our eyeballs at 3/4 time of the PF), what he achieved in 1987 with an average list, and after losing the first 3 matches by a combined 300 points, was phenomenal and we were extremely unfortunate to miss out on the finals that season. He fizzled out in 1989 when the writing was on the wall at the club.

4. Wheeler - Took over when we actually didn't exist and gave us our pride and our club back. To get 12 wins in 1990 after the horrendous off-season we had was a sensational achievement, then to go on and win 16 matches in H&A in 1992 was a wild and exciting ride - 1992 still remains my favourite season of all time. Struggled to cope with opposition defensive strategies in 1993 but we still won 11 and lost 9 that season...I thought we pulled the trigger far too quickly on him in Round 2 the following season. As others have noted, his heart was completely immersed in the Bulldogs.

We've actually had 4 very good coaches (with differing skills and attributes) over the last 30 years, all of whom unfortunately ended their association at the club on a poor note. I hope BMac can be added to this list in 4-5 years' time.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on Malthouse who brought a competitive edge to the Bulldogs and IMO rates as our best coach. Malthouse had the ability to get the best out of average players such as Epplestun, Darren Baxter, Brian Cordy and Hannebery plus Mark Hunter who all were fierce competitors. Mick didn't fizz in 1989 he simply ran out of players. I see some of Malthouse's qualities in BMcC and wait with interest to see how we develop under McCartney.

always right
03-06-2013, 06:00 PM

Great summary Sedat and agree wholeheartedly. My only comment relates to Wheeler who suffered from the view (real or perceived) that he had favourites. That's fine when the going is good but when we started getting hammered it became a real negative for him. I recall one Simon Atkins being one of the favoured sons when he was going through a particularly putrid patch of form. Many considered Atkins to be a classic downhill skier.

The Pie Man
03-06-2013, 06:01 PM
The only thing that splits Eade & Wallace for mine is the way Plough left (which I moved on from long ago) Their achievments (at Footscray) are almost identical, and both were vitally important in promoting the club...both in the media and with the style played.

97 would've been out of the box....09 really is the one that got away...especially with the GF being played in the wet....(I've got to let this go)

I think history views Wheeler very kindly - the early 90's results were absolute miracles given where we'd come from in 89.

immortalmike
04-06-2013, 01:48 AM
We have a history of treating coaches poorly on the exit.

Apart from Roos I struggle to name a coach who hasn't been treated poorly on the exit...

lemmon
04-06-2013, 04:03 AM
Apart from Roos I struggle to name a coach who hasn't been treated poorly on the exit...

Was just about to make the same point, 99% of coaches are sacked and they know its probably the way it will end going into the job. Very few go amicably and even fewer leave on their own terms, its the nature of the beast and our experiences with coaches leaving the club are no different to all the rest.

strebla
04-06-2013, 04:47 AM

Leigh Mathews ????

immortalmike
05-06-2013, 01:42 AM
Leigh Mathews ????

I remember Leigh being pretty cranky when he was shown the door.

jeemak
05-06-2013, 01:58 AM
I was 17 in 1996 and that's the year where I rate my appreciation of football coming to a reasonable level of understanding, though I was an avid and loving follower of the Bulldogs always, but from 1990 onwards is where I can probably give credence. So with that in mind, my favourites are:

Rodney Eade - I can't thank this man enough for the work he put into our football club whilst it was significantly under-resourced compared to the clubs we were competing against at out peak. He brought a side of players lacking in confidence to the pinnacle of the competition, and if it wasn't for a few dodgy umpiring decisions and a few missed opportunities he would have been a grand final coach for the Bulldogs in 2009, and IMO would have a premiership as well. He developed a list that boasted an extremely diligent and clever back six that worked just as well as any other back six in its day, and designed a forward line which was extremely effective with significant limitations. I often find myself looking back at his time, being completely staggered by the systems he implemented to make us able to score so frequently without any genuinely competitive tall cattle.

Terry Wallace - Once again, another man who excelled with limited resources at his disposal versus those he was competing against. Exceptionally good from a strategy perspective, he could make players stand in positions to benefit the team better than his counterparts and make them believe the reasons why they should be doing it. I'll struggle to forgive his belief in his predetermined structures, but I'll always thank him for instilling self esteem as a Bulldogs member.

Wheeler - I was pretty young when Wheels was coaching. One point I'll always remember is the 1992 preliminary final when may Dad was insistent upon us staying at the ground to watch Wheels lead the team over to the fence to thank the supporters for their support throughout the year. He was clearly shattered, but he kept a stiff lip and pumped a fist like a warrior.

Murphy'sLore
05-06-2013, 11:00 AM
I was actually asking my husband the other day if there were any coaches in history who had quit of their own volition, as opposed to being pushed, and the only two names he could come up with were Roos and Matthews.

Maybe it's closer to 99.9% who end badly.

Twodogs
05-06-2013, 11:04 AM

Leigh Mathews ????

I remember Leigh being pretty cranky when he was shown the door.

Yup. One thing Leigh Matthews is good at is reinventing himself. From out and out cowardly behind the play king hit merchant to tough as nails superbly skilled footballer give me a break puhleeease!!! :rolleyes:) and from one time premiership coach to four time premiership coach after the AFL did everything possible to assist the team he was coaching to win flags. Leigh didnt want to leave Brisbane and now he's the kindly old man who took time out from his busy schedule to coach Brisbane.

Greystache
05-06-2013, 11:17 AM
I was actually asking my husband the other day if there were any coaches in history who had quit of their own volition, as opposed to being pushed, and the only two names he could come up with were Roos and Matthews.

Maybe it's closer to 99.9% who end badly.

You could probably throw Mark Thompson in there too.

It's been a recent phenomenon of premiership winning coaches retiring, which is why it's virtually impossible to recruit an experienced premiership winning coach at the moment.

jeemak
05-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Yup. One thing Leigh Matthews is good at is reinventing himself. From out and out cowardly behind the play king hit merchant to tough as nails superbly skilled footballer give me a break puhleeease!!! :rolleyes:) and from one time premiership coach to four time premiership coach after the AFL did everything possible to assist the team he was coaching to win flags. Leigh didnt want to leave Brisbane and now he's the kindly old man who took time out from his busy schedule to coach Brisbane.

I wouldn't trust Matthews as far as I could throw him. Gun footballer, probably a bloody good coach, but has a track record of being a snake.

Sedat
05-06-2013, 11:37 AM
I wouldn't trust Matthews as far as I could throw him. Gun footballer, probably a bloody good coach, but has a track record of being a snake.
Didn't leave Collingwood on the best of terms, and let's just say it wasn't a decision based purely on his W/L record

Twodogs
05-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Didn't leave Collingwood on the best of terms, and let's just say it wasn't a decision based purely on his W/L record

No. It was more of a sleeping in your own bed thing wasnt it?

jeemak
05-06-2013, 01:12 PM
No. It was more of a sleeping in your own bed thing wasnt it?

Not sure he and Michael Christian are talking.

1eyedog
05-06-2013, 01:47 PM
Wheeler and Wallace

Wheeler brought methodology

Wallace brought innovation

strebla
05-06-2013, 05:22 PM

Trust me TwoDogs I Never Ever said I liked him I too was there in 85 when he first broke my heart and the his despicable acts on the footy field overshadow how good a player he really was for me.