PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 10 Edition

GVGjr
01-06-2013, 10:18 PM
You should all know the drill by now, fire away with the 3 things you have learned by watching tonight's game against the Port Power.

GVGjr
01-06-2013, 11:35 PM
1) Giansiracusa is a coach in waiting especially given the way he has embraced his role as the sub.

2) Griffen is just about carrying the side.

3) Will Minson isn't given enough accolades.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2013, 11:37 PM
1) Giansiracusa is a coach in waiting especially given the way he has embraced his role as the sub.

This.

Oh, and when will things turn for Tom....

comrade
01-06-2013, 11:37 PM
1. For an outside type, Macrae can find the pill.

2. Our young defence stood up extremely well under pressure, particularly in the first half.

3. Ryan Griffen is a superstar but we already knew that.

MrMahatma
01-06-2013, 11:45 PM
1. Talia is better than I expected. I think our key defensive spots are in very good shape.
2. We still have no forward line.
3. We're above the saints on the ladder. Tidy.

lemmon
01-06-2013, 11:47 PM
1. Griff has got to the place we always hoped he would
2. Stringer needs a spell
3. Gia has won us 2 games with his efforts as sub

bornadog
01-06-2013, 11:50 PM
1. Talia is better than I expected. I think our key defensive spots are in very good shape.
2. We still have no forward line.
3. We're above the saints on the ladder. Tidy.

and two games out of the 8 :D

always right
01-06-2013, 11:51 PM
1. There's some character in this side.....exemplified by Steven's effort
2. Griffen has gone to the next level.
3. A win almost justifies having to listen to Brereton's love-in with himself.

G-Mo77
01-06-2013, 11:53 PM
1. Griffen has gone up a level. Fantastic leader on the field, carried the team on his back for a half.
2. Minson is close to the best ruck in the league right now.
3. Tom Williams luck did get worse. Sad moment when his shoulder popped again. :(

LostDoggy
01-06-2013, 11:54 PM
1. We can't kick in to save ourselves.
2. Libba has taken the next step — somewhat missed tonight in the shadow of Griffen.
3. Angus Monfries is a spud. Oh, already knew that.

Pickenitup
01-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Will Minson Is the Best Ruckman In The Comp and Our Best since Scott Wynd
Griff is in the top 3 Midfielders in the Comp
Micka Talia is going to be a beauty

boydogs
02-06-2013, 01:34 AM
Macca was right when he said we are closer to a win than we think, last week was no fluke
Every week we expect him to tire, Minson gets better
Griffen is the form player of the competition

westdog54
03-06-2013, 04:44 PM
1. We can lock in our next captain.
2. The Vic Uni Partnership will benefit the club for years to come.
3. Our list is capable of making the top 8 in 2-3 years time.

Ghost Dog
03-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Griff is in the top 3 Midfielders in the Comp

Talia is great. Borrowed Clay Smith's ball drop though.

always right
03-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Talia is great. Borrowed Clay Smith's ball drop though.

To be fair....both have improved this part of their game significantly in a relatively short space of time. Plenty of work still to go however.:(

LostDoggy
03-06-2013, 05:54 PM

I thought this was a funny one :D

LostDoggy
03-06-2013, 05:57 PM

ooooooh. Big call saying Minson is better than Darcy. LD was a lot more rounded and IMO far better than Minson is at the moment. You can have your own opinion though.

SlimPickens
03-06-2013, 05:59 PM
1. Gia looks refreshed and is relishing his current roll.

2. Koby Stevens is made of the right stuff and the kind of bloke you want at your football club.

3. Big Will performance is getting bigger every week, he is offering us more around the ground and hitting the scoreboard. Great stuff.

craigsahibee
03-06-2013, 06:01 PM
1. Darwin looks sweaty
2. Libba Jnr goes alright
3. A bottle of red after a day at the local footy is not always a good idea.

LostDoggy
03-06-2013, 06:41 PM
1. It starts in the centre. Minson is tapping to advantage more often.

2. Dahl needs a rest. Was flying on top of the ground at the start of the season; now seems to be labouring a little.

3. We still let the ball get behind us, sometimes with dire results, but we are getting better at it.

Hand balling without looking, to stationary targets or backwards to people in crowded space seems to be a problem. I like that we are trying to keep the ball moving, but against top sides a lack of polish and skill will damage us.

chef
03-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Will Minson Is the Best Ruckman In The Comp and Our Best since Scott WyndGriff is in the top 3 Midfielders in the Comp

Better than Darcy?

Pickenitup
03-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Darcy was better around the Ground I think Will has him covered at centre bounces and clearance work

Bulldog Joe
03-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Darcy was better around the Ground I think Will has him covered at centre bounces and clearance work

remember the game against Adelaide in 2005. Grant's 300th I think. Darcy played forward after half time and let Will ruck.

Darcy in his prime is just the player that would complement what Will brings.

boydogs
03-06-2013, 09:00 PM
remember the game against Adelaide in 2005. Grant's 300th I think. Darcy played forward after half time and let Will ruck.

Darcy was better around the ground than Will is, but I think he was best suited to the #1 ruck role

JohnGentStand
03-06-2013, 10:27 PM
1/ Macrae is a gun and will become an even BIGGER weapon!!
2/ JJ is almost our most improved player this season
3/ The bye has come at a great time....our young 'uns need a bruise free week

ratsmac
03-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Gia is our very own supersub
Griffen can't be tagged
Minson is demanding an all Australian position

1eyedog
05-06-2013, 02:00 PM
1. Port are still crap
2. Koby Stevens has some character
3. We are developing mental strength evident in hanging tough the last two weeks and coming from behind to win

Raw Toast
06-06-2013, 11:12 AM

I was just thinking of that game when Minson and Darcy were being compared. Minson put the ball down the throat of our midfielders who delivered to Darcy who then kicked a bag from pack marks as well as leads.

It was a glorious game, full of beautiful promise, and then the next week Darcy did his knee in a seemingly innocuous incident at Kardinia Park, and that was pretty much it for him...

In terms of the three things I learned from the game v Port, I'll try for something other than Griffen and Minson who were amazing:

1) BMac is building a flexible team, with a number of players who can be swung back and forward (Addison played a fair bit down back, while Murphy, Roughead and even Goodes have been swung around at times).

2) We are getting a little better at absorbing opposition pressure and the match-day coaching seems to be improving, but there's a heap of work to be done on which risks to take, and when to switch the ball.

3) Wallis showed impressive courage after jettisoning his lunch, while Lower's shutdown role on Boak was fantastic (yet again).

Hot_Doggies
06-06-2013, 12:06 PM
1. Port are still crap
2. Koby Stevens has some character
3. We are developing mental strength evident in hanging tough the last two weeks and coming from behind to win

I think you mean 'Port are still developing'. Very similar to us

1eyedog
06-06-2013, 12:10 PM
I think you mean 'Port are still developing'. Very similar to us

Wrong, they haven't beaten us since 2006 (admittedly we have been strong through that period leading up to 2011).

I really did mean they are still crap, and coversely they really shouldn't have lost in Darwin. If I was a Port fan I would have been extremely disappointed in that, even more disappointed than we were against the Suns. Port fans deserve more and have been waiting far longer than us for a top 8 finish. As for development they have 2 years on us and have a pretty crap list to boot IMHO. In addition to this I get the impression that players were dying to get out last year. Not a good look.

craigsahibee
06-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Wrong, they haven't beaten us since 2006 (admittedly we have been strong through that period leading up to 2011).

I really did mean they are still crap, and coversely they really shouldn't have lost in Darwin. If I was a Port fan I would have been extremely disappointed in that, even more disappointed than we were against the Suns. Port fans deserve more and have been waiting far longer than us for a top 8 finish. As for development they have 2 years on us and have a pretty crap list to boot IMHO. In addition to this I get the impression that players were dying to get out last year. Not a good look.

You are only as strong as your weakest link. Port have Angus Monfries. The Defence rests Your Honour.

craigsahibee
06-06-2013, 04:14 PM

Dale Morris' debut IIRC

always right
06-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Dale Morris' debut IIRC

Yep.....played on McLeod