PDA

View Full Version : 2013 - Mid Season Report Card - The Defenders

GVGjr
03-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Griffen 16# and I thought it might be interesting to have a look at how the club is going at the mid season in the groups like defenders, midfielders, forwards and even the coaches box.

We will have a look at the defenders starting with Jordan Roughead and then followed by Jason Johannisen, Dale Morris, Tom Young, Brett Goodes and one or two others.

GVGjr
03-06-2013, 06:54 AM
Jordan Roughead
Season so far:
I'll be the first to admit I was more than a little skeptical on how Roughead would go as a key defender week after week but the coach certainly got this one right.
Roughead has been a strong defender taking on key forwards most weeks and has won most of these contests. He's proven he has the defensive skills and has certainly taken a leadership role. He's still learning and might run into a few bumps along the way but it's hard to find too much fault at this stage.
His possession count isn't great but his tackle count is up to nearly 3 per game and has certainly matured as a footballer. He has played all games so far.
Outlook:
I see Roughead as playing mainly as the key defender for the balance of the season but also being used in the ruck and up forward whenever needed.
He wont have easy in the 2nd half of the season because he will be pitted against some of the better players but for a youngster who is still learning how to be a key defender it will be an invaluable experience. I expect that his overall rating will slip by the seasons end.
Rating:
GVG A-
G#16 A-

Mofra
03-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Worthy of note that Roughy is 3rd in the competition for 1%ers, I have no idea of what benchmarks the coaching staff are setting for him but that has to be a positive.

Dale Morris is 10th, after the injury he's had that is brilliant.

Bulldog Joe
03-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Like what we have seen from Roughy. He is very composed and in fact I feel he has started his career as a key defender in a way that indicates he could get to a very high level.

Bulldog Revolution
03-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Nice one GVG,

Good summary of where he's at

I see the area of improvement as his confidence with the ball in hand from the back half, particularly having the confidence to distribute, particularly via his left foot, which I think he avoids

Cyberdoggie
03-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Roughy is starting very well but to be critical he will always have some difficulty with certain defenders because he's not particularly quick off the mark.

The fact that he has been doing so well is a huge credit to his footy smarts and ability to read the play and his opponent.

Moving forward I want to see him become more productive with the ball. He needs to accept that once the defending is done his job isn't. Don't leave it up to just JJ, Goodes and the smaller blokes, he can still be useful with the ball, Brian Lake has shown that as an example.

bornadog
03-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Roughead still have lots of improvement left in him but is making steady progress. I was a bit worried about his performance against Harry Taylor as it clearly showed he has a long way to go when he is playing against quality performers.

Interesting at a private function, Macca said recently that he may stay at Fullback, may go to CHB or another role in the future. He praised him for his attitude and the way he goes about his role at the club.

I would rate him a B at this stage.

Maddog37
03-06-2013, 03:21 PM
I would give him a b+ and if he can continue to build his tank I still think he would have a major influence as a marking ruckman.

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-06-2013, 05:08 PM
I still see Roughead being best suited in the future as a key forward and pinch ruckman to support both Jones and Stringer and to give some relief to big Will.
His confidence and maturity has grown enormously since going to defence where he has been more than adequate. Our challenge would be to find another key defender and you would hope that Fletcher Roberts will emerge into a key back man.

GVGjr
03-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Jason Johannisen
Season so far:
Johannisen has been one of the standout youngsters this season, really taking his game to the next level. He's added some significant size to his frame which now enables him to compete better defensively, whilst not losing any of his speed.

He's fast becoming a key component of our backline with his ability to first beat his man and then run hard forward to create a handball receive option.

He's averaging 11 kicks per game but needs to improve his tackle count. He has missed just one game so far. His two goals during the season are a testament to his ability to push right up the ground and influence play.

Outlook:
It's hard to not see JJ continuing to improve as his endurance and body continues to develop. I think he'll play his best football off half back. If he can continue to add the ability to run forward and impact the scoreboard, and continue to work on the defensive aspects of his game, he'll end this season as one of our most improved and consistent performers.

Rating:
G#16 B+
GVG B

Remi Moses
03-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Like the sentiment on Roughead. Opponents quick off the mark trouble him, but he's a project defender who is improving.
Johannsien Always looked likely, but he's improved more than I even thought .
Hits the scoreboard, and has speed.

bornadog
03-06-2013, 08:23 PM
JJ has been great this season, his run and carry has been excellent and his kicking skills are also good.
B+

Go_Dogs
04-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Brett Goodes
Season so far:
Started off making a liar out of all the recruiting managers and immediately impressed all and sundry with his kicking skills and poise. At least 3 of his first 5 games were quality ones.
Since Goodes served a two game suspension he has struggled on the field particularly with his kicking.

Goodes demonstrated in the last match against the Power how effective he can be playing as a loose man across the defensive half with his ability to read the play and cut off the oppositions kicks.

Outlook:
Goodes will hold his spot for the majority of the balance of the season and hopefully work through some of his recent form slump.

Rating:
GVG B
G#16 B-

Go_Dogs
05-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Dale Morris
Season so far:
Dale has been a solid contributor this season after returning from his horrific injuries. He's averaging 12 disposals a game at 85% efficiency which is about par for the course with Dale who more often than not elects to take the safer options.

Most impressively he is averaging close to 7 1%'s per game and continues to be a much relied upon defender to first beat his own opponent but to also lead the backline and chop out for his team mates.

He's had a couple of poorer games which is to be expected after such a long lay off but reaches the mid-season break in great form with 2 very impressive performances against St Kilda and Port Power.

Outlook:
Hard to see Dale dropping off much as is his hallmark. He consistently does the team things and wills himself to each and every contest. I tend to think he's got another year left (at least) and given the late start to his career might have slightly more longevity than some similarly aged players.

Rating:
G#16 A- GVG B+

F'scary
05-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Good thread. Bring on the Tom Yum review.

Go_Dogs
05-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Tom Young
Season so far:
Tom has played 9 games for the Dogs so far this season and has been a big surprise packet after pre-season reports indicated there may be some concerns about his ability to step up at AFL level.

Tom is averaging 17 disposals a game at 68% efficiency, just over a third of his possessions are contested and he gets a few rebound and forward 50 entries a game.

His role has mainly been that of a third tall but he has shown his versatility that he can play on smaller types too, whilst also demonstrating he isn't a true KPD. His ability to leave his man when need be and be poised with his decision making are becoming trademarks of his game.

He needs to continue to build his fitness levels up.

Outlook:
Young looks likely to finish the season strongly and should be back in the senior side shortly. I wonder if he'll miss a few games as the season moves on given the need to balance his and Talia's development.

I see him becoming an important part of our best 22 and expect his role to be valued pretty highly by the coaching staff come seasons end.

Rating:
G#16 B

Bulldog Revolution
05-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Interesting grades so far, and part of the high marks awarded reflect the moderate expectations that would have been held for Roughie, JJ, Goodes and Young.

All our inexperienced players and have had their ups and downs.

I see Young as needing to improve significantly to hold his place in the team. He's been surprisingly good, but he's also had a few bad games at times, and his disposal and decision making needs to continue to improve.

bornadog
05-06-2013, 05:10 PM
I don't see Tom Young and Talia fighting for the same position. To me Talia will end up being either the Fullback or CHB and Tom Young as a third tall eventually replacing Morris.

Go_Dogs
05-06-2013, 05:52 PM
I don't see Tom Young and Talia fighting for the same position. To me Talia will end up being either the Fullback or CHB and Tom Young as a third tall eventually replacing Morris.

Agreed - definitely see them ending up that way, but at present I can see them competing for a spot insofar as we may struggle to play both of them along with Roughead and Morris in the back six. Roughead and Morris are certainties (barring injury) for mine, so one of Young or Talia seem likely to miss out at times, depending on the opposition and form.

Go_Dogs
06-06-2013, 10:25 AM
The Fringe Defenders - Mark Austin, Lukas Markovic and Christian Howard
Season so far:
Austin, Markovic and Howard have managed 6 games between them this year and still sit on the outer of the best 22.

Both Austin and Markovic have been used in varying roles this year, both spending time in defence and attack, with Markovic also providing some chop out in the ruck duties. Both have had difficulties in transitioning their games to the point they demand selection. Markovic has probably been the pick of the 2, currently sitting on 5 goals for the season.

Howard has struggled to gain a berth in the side and in his one game managed 9 disposals and 1 tackle.

Outlook:
It appears as though Austin may struggle to regain a spot in the senior side although is a good insurance policy should we suffer an long term injury to a key or medium sized defender.

Markovic is the more likely to regain a spot in the senior side because of his versatility to be able to spend a few minutes in the ruck. He seems to lack the pace to be a defender at AFL level, but has shown he has an ability to read the play and can take a mark and kick a goal up forward. He may get more opportunities but his long term outlook isn't particularly strong.

Howard really needs to continue to develop his game at Williamstown and knock the door down for selection. Thus far he has been unable to do so but it seems the club is working hard to ensure he has plenty of opportunity to rack up the touches in the VFL. I think we'll see a bit more of Howard as the season progresses, but I'm not overly confident in his ability to develop his game to the required standard at present.

Rating:
G#16 Austin C-, Markovic C+, Howard D

KT31
06-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Great work fella's., love the reviews.
Although Tom Young IMO should be a B+.
Brett Goodes saved his B- this week otherwise I would have him as a C+.

F'scary
06-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Great work fella's., love the reviews.
Although Tom Young IMO should be a B+.
Brett Goodes saved his B- this week otherwise I would have him as a C+.

Agree Bluey Young B+. Great value for a pick 71 swap.

always right
06-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Agree Bluey Young B+. Great value for a pick 71 swap.

Yep...I had him down as depth fodder only when we got him and couldn't understand what he add to the list. Seriously underestimated him. Not saying I was wrong....just mistaken.