PDA

View Full Version : Most inspiring Bulldog Captain Ever

bulldogtragic
03-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Following on from the best coach, who is the best captain in your lifetime support of the dogs.

Particularly, I'm not looking for the necessarily best player or best club man or media profile. But who made their players better for them being captain. Who went back with the flight of the ball, who laid the game saving tackle, who shone brighter when someone needed to stand up, who inspired their players to sacrifice fully by leading the way, kicked the clutch goal, when they addressed the huddle at the break you could hear a pin drop such was their presence, they did the extraordinary all the time and importsntly they inspired the bulldog spirit in tens of thousands of us bulldog faithful.

Tough call.

Twodogs
03-06-2013, 04:55 PM
One word:

Tits.

http://www.hamptonrovers.com.au/news/images/rick-kennedy-200.jpg

always right
03-06-2013, 05:02 PM
When it comes down to captains [B]I've seen play[B] I can narrow it down to two that stand out;

1. Scotty Wynd
2. Laurie Sandilands

Everyone knows about Scotty, his ability to overcome knee injuries, preparedness to fill the hole in front of players like Plugger Lockett, his countless match saving marks floating across the half backline, and his ability to get the ball going our way at centre bounces with his canny ruckwork. What I also loved about him though was his willingness to protect his teamates and dish out some rough justice. A great leader.

Laurie Sandilands was one of our great swingmen, switching from full back to full forward and CHF. When in trouble Sandilands invariably was the one who lifted and inspired his teammates with his strong marking, fearless attack on the ball and straight goalkicking. He was a great team player who will be remembered by some for the bone crunching bump he laid on Collingwood's Max Richardson out at VFL Park in the opening minutes of an elimination final in the 70's. One of my favourite players and a great captain.

bornadog
03-06-2013, 05:05 PM
1. Jimmy Edmond

2. Laurie Sandilands

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Scott Wynd was a standout IMO. Considered lucky to play League football due to wonky knees, he was a true champion and inspiration. We were fortunate to witness a great duo in Wynd and Liberatore.
We actually pinched Wynd from North Melbourne following some brilliant recruiting by Gary Merrington.

craigsahibee
03-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Scotty Wynd for me.

One particular moment that stood out for me was in Round 2 of 1997 where Brett Montgomery chased down a Sydney defender and caused a turnover. The result was a goal to the good guys and ultimately a win. While everyone was celebrating with the goal kicker (which may have been Libba Snr in one of his famous battles with Paul Kelly, I may be wrong) Scotty Wynd had pulled Monty aside and gave him what I believe were a few plaudits and words of encouragement. I love that type of stuff and Scotty Wynd exemplified those acts throughout his entire career.

On another occasion I saw him warming up in the rooms at Optus Oval before a game and he had a bruise on his left thigh that stretched from his hip to his knee. To expose himself to that sort of punishment week in and week out was truly admirable.

Agree, not necessarily the most skilled or "best" player, but one we struggled without. See 1992 finals series as an example of this, although Barry Standfield admirably filled in for him at OO one day after Scotty was stretchered off and played the game of his life, which has been commented on this forum previously.

always right
03-06-2013, 05:33 PM
I almost tear up when I think back to the way Scotty Wynd used to play for this club.

ratsmac
03-06-2013, 10:39 PM
After reading the title of this thread I immediately thought of Scott Wynd. This bloke would will himself across the line for the team.

I almost tear up when I think back to the way Scotty Wynd used to play for this club.

His knees were stuffed but he would play through pain every week.

Another inspiring captain for me would have to be Johnno. His 300th (I think) against Adelaide comes to mind. Just would do team lifting things so often.

Hotdog60
03-06-2013, 11:08 PM
My mind filters back to think of our captains and some great names pop up.

Jennings

Edmond

Wallis

Hawkins

Grant

Johnson

But I would have to agree with most of the rest Stott Wynd and the memories of him floating across half back and spoiling or marking was inspirational stuff.
No disrespect to the names I didn't mention.

The bulldog tragician
03-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Surely Charlie Sutton might get a mention ? Before all our times, but by all accounts inspirational.

strebla
04-06-2013, 04:19 AM
Jim Edmond for me losing him to the Swans really hurt us.Thought Chris Grant was a really good captain aswell.

bornadog
04-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Surely Charlie Sutton might get a mention ? Before all our times, but by all accounts inspirational.

and don't forget

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/wbFOOTSCRAYwhittenshoulder_gallery_.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/wbFOOTSCRAYwhittenshoulder_gallery_.jpg.html)

LostDoggy
04-06-2013, 09:40 AM
E J Whitten - incomparable

LostDoggy
04-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Steve Wallis for mine. Just loved everything he did, was a top bloke and my all time favourite.

Mofra
04-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Wynd - his body was described as a "hulking mess" during his last two seasons yet he just put his body in dangerous positions every time.
Plus I really rate tough ruckmen ;)

Bulldog4life
04-06-2013, 02:16 PM
E J Whitten - incomparable

Ditto EJ. Without doubt Teddy was the most inspiring captain I've seen. All his teammates walked tall when he was around.

BulldogBelle
04-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Scot Wynd.

I am pleased so many people noticed what a good captain he was.

bulldogtragic
05-06-2013, 07:34 PM
As a somewhat younger woofer, tell me more about Laurie Sandilands, I know the name, not the legend.

LostDoggy
05-06-2013, 07:48 PM
As a somewhat younger woofer, tell me more about Laurie Sandilands, I know the name, not the legend.

Laurie played his junior footy at West Footscray F.C.
Not the most gifted player but got the maximun return for effort
Captained the dogs and became a goalkicker when he eventually played at full forward
Tough as nails but after the Neil Sache incident he says he never went for ball as hard
Sadly he went to Collingwood for a year along with Bissett
Born in bulldog land but now lives in QLD... great bloke

always right
05-06-2013, 08:13 PM
Laurie played his junior footy at West Footscray F.C.
Not the most gifted player but got the maximun return for effort
Captained the dogs and became a goalkicker when he eventually played at full forward
Tough as nails but after the Neil Sache incident he says he never went for ball as hard
Sadly he went to Collingwood for a year along with Bissett
Born in bulldog land but now lives in QLD... great bloke

No superstar but he was more talented than you give him credit for.

SonofScray
06-06-2013, 01:04 AM
I was going to say Scott Wynd, from those who I have actually seen and can recall. The word that best fit him in my mind was 'warrior.' Just soldiered on and put himself to the hazard, he and Libba were cut from the same cloth. Lead by example. Articulate. Tall. Good attributes for a Captain.

azabob
06-06-2013, 12:38 PM
I was going to say Scott Wynd, from those who I have actually seen and can recall. The word that best fit him in my mind was 'warrior.' Just soldiered on and put himself to the hazard, he and Libba were cut from the same cloth. Lead by example. Articulate. Tall. Good attributes for a Captain.

Gee Libba got the short end of the cloth then.... ;)

JohnGentStand
06-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Wynd - massive heart - tough - fearless
The closer you stood to the fence the more you loved what he gave.

Before I Die
06-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Gary Dempsey

Great courage to come back after his burns injuries.

Great ruckman and and one of the greatest marks to play the game. Couldn't kick over a jam tin and couldn't be out marked on the last line of defense.