PDA

View Full Version : Best non dogs game you've ever attended.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2013, 06:47 PM
'Teddys farewell game', State of Origin, 1995. Lockett, Ablett and a massive big V team. Never forget it.

2008, Hawks v Carlton. Buddy kicks 100 early on, then the momentum swings to Fev, crowd anticipation and then Roughy gets put behind the ball to stop Fev. Then he's stranded on 99. Made me so deliriously happy for a non dogs game. The atmosphere at he ground was electric.

Remi Moses
04-06-2013, 06:54 PM
For us a bit older
The 83 qualifying final Fitzroy v Hawthorn
Heartbreaking loss for the Roys , with a contentious deliberate and Michael Tuck goaling 50 out on the boundary. A couple of those Geelong games in 89 were unbelievable as well

The Underdog
04-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Any game I went to involving Gary Ablett Sr. He was an event in himself.

Maddog37
04-06-2013, 10:24 PM
Been to a couple of Pies/Blues games and not sure about the footy but the crowds are certainly entertaining!

LostDoggy
04-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Non dogs football games?
Sorry I don't understand the question.

AndrewP6
04-06-2013, 11:38 PM
Non dogs football games?
Sorry I don't understand the question.

Me either. Attending a game where the Dogs aren't playing is a foreign concept to me.

The Underdog
05-06-2013, 12:36 AM
Me either. Attending a game where the Dogs aren't playing is a foreign concept to me.

Don't enjoy the spectacle of football? Never gone along with friends to watch their team play? Never wanted to attend a grand final or go to a game with more than 60,000 people in attendance? They are some of the reasons you might attend a non-bulldogs game.
I used to go to North games with a neighbour who supported them when I was 14-15, pretty much to watch Carey. Not to mention as I said before, I sometimes would go and see Geelong play at the G to see Ablett.

LostDoggy
05-06-2013, 12:37 AM
Same as the OP: Whitten's farewell.

Special mentions: the Bombers vs Eagles game where Sheedy waved his jacket and after that Bonbers fans would wave their scarves, atmosphere was great.

Any Hawks v Geelong match.

2005 Grand Final

strebla
05-06-2013, 02:44 AM
The Ablett Snr and Salmon show is a stoundout for mine.I also attended the ANZAC game last year with my lady and her kids.Both the game and the aura were unbelievable.

AndrewP6
05-06-2013, 06:39 AM
Don't enjoy the spectacle of football? Never gone along with friends to watch their team play? Never wanted to attend a grand final or go to a game with more than 60,000 people in attendance? They are some of the reasons you might attend a non-bulldogs game. .

I like football, but I have no interest in seeing another team play it. Yes, I've wanted to see a GF, but only one with the Dogs in it. I'd only go to a non-Bulldog game if someone gave me a ticket, and then only if friends were going too.

MrMahatma
05-06-2013, 09:23 AM
2001 GF.

Also saw some crackers at the gabba in the 90s. The one where the Hawks were 45 points up at 3 qtr time, took their huddle into the shade which gave the bears a sniff that the Hawks were tiring, and the Bears came back and won.

Saw Bears (maybe lions by then) v Essendon final at the gabba. 1 point result. Can't remember which way though.

Greystache
05-06-2013, 09:24 AM
I went to the ANZAC day match where Zaharakis kicked the winning goal. Essendon were gone and had no right to win it. Watching the hoards of shattered Collingwood supporters leaving after the game was pretty memorable, they lost the lead so late they didn't even have time to leave before the siren sounded.

I was wedged between 7 Essendon supporting in laws to my left and 8 Collingwood supporters to my right. The Collingwood supporter (who I didn't know) turned to me just before 3/4 time and said "you're a neutral supporter, what have you thought of this umpiring today? I said "there's been a couple of dodgy ones but overall it's been pretty even", to which he replied "what would you *!*!*!*!ing know!" : D

LostDoggy
05-06-2013, 09:47 AM
I went to the ANZAC day match where Zaharakis kicked the winning goal. Essendon were gone and had no right to win it. Watching the hoards of shattered Collingwood supporters leaving after the game was pretty memorable, they lost the lead so late they didn't even have time to leave before the siren sounded.

I was wedged between 7 Essendon supporting in laws to my left and 8 Collingwood supporters to my right. The Collingwood supporter (who I didn't know) turned to me just before 3/4 time and said "you're a neutral supporter, what have you thought of this umpiring today? I said "there's been a couple of dodgy ones but overall it's been pretty even", to which he replied "what would you *!*!*!*!ing know!" : D

Haha, the correct response is always “you was wobbed!”

Sedat
05-06-2013, 09:56 AM
The 2009 GF was a tough and brutal affair. That last qtr was intense and edge-of-the-set stuff, even for a neutral supporter. Don't think I could have handled seeing Riewoldt and Milne in particular winning premiership medals, so the end result certainly helped ease some of the pain of losing the week before. I still believe we could have given Geelong an almighty shake had we made the GF - gee we let ourselves down in the QF against the Cats 3 weeks earlier, which forced us into the much tougher PF.

Twodogs
05-06-2013, 10:20 AM
The 2009 GF was a tough and brutal affair. That last qtr was intense and edge-of-the-set stuff, even for a neutral supporter. Don't think I could have handled seeing Riewoldt and Milne in particular winning premiership medals, so the end result certainly helped ease some of the pain of losing the week before. I still believe we could have given Geelong an almighty shake had we made the GF - gee we let ourselves down in the QF against the Cats 3 weeks earlier, which forced us into the much tougher PF.

I dip my lid to you Sedat. I couldnt have trusted myself going to that GF without punching the first St Kilda I saw so much as smile. ;)

Twodogs
05-06-2013, 10:27 AM
For us a bit older
The 83 qualifying final Fitzroy v Hawthorn
Heartbreaking loss for the Roys , with a contentious deliberate and Michael Tuck goaling 50 out on the boundary. A couple of those Geelong games in 89 were unbelievable as well

Yep I was at that one too. Was it Nettlefold that had the deliberate out of bounds paid against him? Back in the day you could buy a series ticket in standing room for both grounds (VFL Park and the MCG) for around twenty bucks. It admitted you to each game and they were terriffic value.

I saw the match when Dempsey and Peter Moore kept pushing/pulling each other over in ruck contests that lead to the continual mucking around with rules for the ruck contests we get these days. I must have snuck down to sit in one of the bays because I can remember sitting quite close to the boundary.

I also remember being at the 1982 GF when Helen D'Amico ran onto the ground naked. Just as we were settling into our seats after halftime the guy sittting next to me said "There's a lady on the ground. And she hasnt got any clothes on" I'd put my binocaulars away for halftime and dropped my pie trying to get them out again.

Twodogs
05-06-2013, 10:44 AM
And I was at the 'line in the sand' game (was it really nine years ago?) for work. I took two clients-one in a wheelchair and an old lady (who I didnt really get along with-she was an Essendon supporter)

Anyway not long after halftime the fight breaks out and the old lady is on her feet calling every Hawthorn player every name under the sun. When it had all calmed down again she sat down with a huge smile on her face and said "Ahhh-I havent enjoyed anything like that in years" We got on like a house on fire after that. I was even a pall bearer at her funeral!

Scraggers
05-06-2013, 11:19 AM
Fitzroy's last game against the Dockers ... Average game, but very emotional.

And (I think) the Carlton v Collingwood Centenary match (late 80s / early 90s) ... The one where Shaw was bleeding profusely from the head and he was hugging his mum on field afterwards. (Please correct me if I'm wrong ... I'm getting older and my memory ain't the best)

Twodogs
05-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I remembered another one. One of my uncles was a Fitzroy supporter and I can remember him taking me to a Fitzroy/North match at Arden st. in the late '70s. North were a gun side, Fitzroy not such a gun side and North were 5 goals up with a few minutes to play when my uncle said "Come on and we'll beat the crowd" By the time we'd walked 50 metres Fitzroy kicked 4 goals and were back in the game. I'm pretty sure they won because I can remember the Fitzroy supporters being delirious and me standing there wondering what all the fuss was about. That's the day I knew I was Footscray through and through.

Now that I think about it, it was a next door neighbour, not an uncle.

1eyedog
05-06-2013, 01:44 PM
The 2006 Grand Final is the only Grand Final I've been to and it was the best game I've seen outside of Bulldog's game.

Dry Rot
05-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Best game North v Swans @ SCG when North were trying to make Sydney a second home. Late nineties?
Kelly willed the Swans to an unlikely win in the last minutes. Terrific maqtch, best game I've seen live.

Hudson's comeback game vs McKenna and Collingwood at Waverley - 1973 I think. Good game. Hudson potted 7 or 8?

The Underdog
05-06-2013, 02:53 PM
I like football, but I have no interest in seeing another team play it. Yes, I've wanted to see a GF, but only one with the Dogs in it. I'd only go to a non-Bulldog game if someone gave me a ticket, and then only if friends were going too.

I understand that the game is less exciting without a vested interest and I certainly don't make a habit of going to non-Dogs games but you also get to see the game a little differently, maybe dispassionately but sometimes more clearly. I'm not a particularly big fan of Buddy but it's certainly more fun watching him take apart Essendon at the MCG, which i did one Saturday afternoon, than it is watching him destroy us.

Happy Days
05-06-2013, 04:30 PM
The Richmond-Saints game, where Riewoldt 2 missed after the siren from about sixty. A saints-supporting mate of mine stood up and let off a huge cheer only for a Richmond supporting mate of mine to punch him in the stomach.

bornadog
05-06-2013, 05:11 PM
The Richmond-Saints game, where Riewoldt 2 missed after the siren from about sixty. A saints-supporting mate of mine stood up and let off a huge cheer only for a Richmond supporting mate of mine to punch him in the stomach.

That is funny:D

bulldogtragic
05-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Also a nomination for the 09 GF.

I was still gutted, but I got to point out to the st Kilda crowd around me that Hawkins kick actually hit the post, cue the anger. Then they turned the anger on themselves and attacked their own like Raph Clarke (Remember that Spud. I still can't believed he played as much AFL as he did). and I then got to watch the toe poke that led to the sound of hearts literally breaking around me. Like a crystal wind chime, but with tears. Raw emotions at the footy that day.

Some would call it a silver lining.

chef
05-06-2013, 08:24 PM
1991 elimination final between Geelong and St Kilda at Waverly(Dads a Cats supporter). Cats won by 7 with Brownless and Lockett kicking bags.

Flamethrower
05-06-2013, 08:31 PM
1990 VFA Grand Final

Williamstown come back from the dead to beat Springvale by 2 points, thanks to a goal by Billy Swan with only 30 seconds left.

LostDoggy
05-06-2013, 10:36 PM
1991 elimination final between Geelong and St Kilda at Waverly(Dads a Cats supporter). Cats won by 7 with Brownless and Lockett kicking bags.

This was the first AFL game i ever went to. Don't remember much about it though.

SlimPickens
06-06-2013, 06:43 PM
This day in 2003. Richmond v North at Telstra dome. Game was Jason McCartneys return from his injuries caused by the Bali bombing. Was possibly the most emotional night of football I've ever attended and consider myself very lucky to have been there.

Remi Moses
08-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Yep I was at that one too. Was it Nettlefold that had the deliberate out of bounds paid against him? Back in the day you could buy a series ticket in standing room for both grounds (VFL Park and the MCG) for around twenty bucks. It admitted you to each game and they were terriffic value.

I saw the match when Dempsey and Peter Moore kept pushing/pulling each other over in ruck contests that lead to the continual mucking around with rules for the ruck contests we get these days. I must have snuck down to sit in one of the bays because I can remember sitting quite close to the boundary.

I also remember being at the 1982 GF when Helen D'Amico ran onto the ground naked. Just as we were settling into our seats after halftime the guy sittting next to me said "There's a lady on the ground. And she hasnt got any clothes on" I'd put my binocaulars away for halftime and dropped my pie trying to get them out again.
It was Nettlefold . Great goal from Tuck ( 50 out on the boundary post high)
I reckon Bernie kicked a bag in the last term:mad:
I reckon the Roys would have won the flag if they won that game

Remi Moses
08-06-2013, 12:35 AM
1990 VFA Grand Final

Williamstown come back from the dead to beat Springvale by 2 points, thanks to a goal by Billy Swan with only 30 seconds left.

Awful for us Willy haters :(

Remi Moses
08-06-2013, 12:40 AM
Fitzroy's last game against the Dockers ... Average game, but very emotional.

And (I think) the Carlton v Collingwood Centenary match (late 80s / early 90s) ... The one where Shaw was bleeding profusely from the head and he was hugging his mum on field afterwards. (Please correct me if I'm wrong ... I'm getting older and my memory ain't the best)

Saw Fitzroys last win against Freo in 96.
There were only 5 or so thousand there but it sounded like 20.
Very emotional day for them

Twodogs
08-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Awful for us Willy haters :(

Yep. Specially because an ex Port Melbourne champ kicked the winner for them.

KT31
08-06-2013, 01:28 PM
1990 VFA Grand Final

This one for me to.
At the time it was the next best thing to the Doggies winning the flag for me.
Had only been going out with the Lioness for a couple of months and went AWOL at the Batcave with a few of my mates for the weekend.
Can't imagine what would happen if the Doggies a win the flag.

Twodogs
08-06-2013, 02:21 PM
It was Nettlefold . Great goal from Tuck ( 50 out on the boundary post high)
I reckon Bernie kicked a bag in the last term:mad:
I reckon the Roys would have won the flag if they won that game

It's funny the things that stick in your head. I knew it was Nettlefold that was pinged but had forgotten it was Tuck who kicked he goal.

bulldogtragic
09-06-2013, 01:44 PM
This day in 2003. Richmond v North at Telstra dome. Game was Jason McCartneys return from his injuries caused by the Bali bombing. Was possibly the most emotional night of football I've ever attended and consider myself very lucky to have been there.
Sunday footy show just did a piece on this game with Jason. Awesome memories, wish I had attended.

bulldogtragic
09-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Oh another one. The first game of Carey (Adelaide) versus Archer and Stevens and co.

You could cut the atmosphere with a knife. And the rough stuff was good too.

bulldogtragic
10-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Anyone at Waverley when the lights went out and the mob took the point post?

That would have been an experience.

LostDoggy
10-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Anyone at Waverley when the lights went out and the mob took the point post?

That would have been an experience.

Yeah, that was a great one. My best Waverley experience. My brother was right near the point post, my nan freaked thinking he was going to get caught up in the trouble.

Eastdog
12-06-2013, 05:48 PM
2011 PF Final Collingwood V Hawthorn at the MCG

My brother is a Pies fan and he was very happy that night but the happiness didn't last for long when the Cats beat them in the GF.

bornadog
12-06-2013, 06:13 PM
1990 drawn final between Collingwood and Westcoast out at Waverley was a ripper.

Last years Prelim between Hawks and Adelaide was pretty good as well. Tippet almost carried the team over the line, he was unstoppable in the air taking 11 huge marks and the difference in the end was 5 points.

Eastdog
12-06-2013, 06:16 PM
1990 drawn final between Collingwood and Westcoast out at Waverley was a ripper.

Last years Prelim between Hawks and Adelaide was pretty good as well. Tippet almost carried the team over the line, he was unstoppable in the air taking 11 huge marks and the difference in the end was 5 points.

Didn't go to that one but that was an exciting match. The Crows nearly had the Hawks in the end.

westdog54
12-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Oh another one. The first game of Carey (Adelaide) versus Archer and Stevens and co.

You could cut the atmosphere with a knife. And the rough stuff was good too.

IIRC Carey kicked the first goal didn't he?

Round 22, 1999, MCG. Richmond V Carlton. Jeff Gieschen's last game in charge of the Tigers. The scoreboard at the Ponsford end caught fire and my mates and I had to be evacuated, somehow in the confusion I got separated from everyone, but had my mate's uncle's mobile number in my pocket by some fluke (this was back in the day when every Tom, Dick and Harry didn't have one of the bloody things), found a payphone and managed to meet up with everyone again.

Tigers led by 6 goals at 3QT only for the Blues to mount a last quarter surge. Eventually they would fall 11 points short and Giesch had a win for his last game.