PDA

View Full Version : Scott West Inducted to Australian Football Hall of Fame

Pickenitup
04-06-2013, 08:51 PM
I believe that Scott West will be inducted in the hall of fame tonite.
Well Done Westy you champion

Maddog37
04-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Great news. What a star he was.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Not many would deserve it more.

AndrewP6
04-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Terrific news, on ya Westy!

westdog54
04-06-2013, 09:44 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-04/hof-rolling-news-story

CHAMPION Western Bulldogs midfielder Scott West has become the first player inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame at Tuesday night's gala function at Parliament House in Canberra.

West, who grew up in Melbourne's northern suburbs, played 324 games for the Dogs between 1993 and 2008.

A ball-magnet who also boasted great endurance, he won seven club best and fairest awards and was selected in the All Australian team five times.

He was runner-up in the 2000 Brownlow Medal and was third in 1998.

West is currently the senior coach at VFL club Werribee, which is aligned with North Melbourne.

Five more people will be inducted into the Hall of Fame, and the function will conclude with the naming of the 25th 'Legend'.

azabob
04-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Scott West inducted into Australian Football Hall of Fame

It might shock some Bulldogs fans – and torment their Magpie counterparts – to learn that Scott West once came within a whisker of joining Collingwood.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-06-04/west-inducted-into-afl-hall-of-fame

The bulldog tragician
04-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Greatly deserved recognition of a fantastic champion.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Scott West inducted into Australian Football Hall of Fame

It might shock some Bulldogs fans – and torment their Magpie counterparts – to learn that Scott West once came within a whisker of joining Collingwood.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-06-04/west-inducted-into-afl-hall-of-fame
Lucky he was in our zone!!!

Hopefully being a one club player means more than GF's.

LostDoggy
04-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Hard article to read. Got to the '97 prelim bit and regurged in my mouth a little bit.

Good on him for staying. Didn't realise it was that close....

The Underdog
04-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Great honour for Westy, an absolute champion Bulldog

ratsmac
04-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Nice!!! Champion player.

Greystache
04-06-2013, 11:35 PM
My all time favourite Bulldog, congratulations Westy.

cinder
05-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Congrats Scottie, well deserved!

EasternWest
05-06-2013, 12:35 AM
My all time favourite Bulldog, congratulations Westy.

As Bulldog as they come. Champion.

Strange the article mentions coming 3rd in 98 Brownlow, but no mention of 2006.

LostDoggy
05-06-2013, 12:45 AM
If he had gone to Collingwood, he would have won his Charlie, glad he stayed with us.

Go_Dogs
05-06-2013, 12:47 AM
Incredibly happy for Scott - outstanding achievement. Well done Westy, you're a legend (officially).

Remi Moses
05-06-2013, 12:48 AM
Great career, thouroughly deserved.
Royce wasn't inducted for his coaching, that's for sure.

josie
05-06-2013, 01:44 AM
Love ya Westy - along with Granty, my favourite Dogs Player ever.

Well deserved !!

jeemak
05-06-2013, 02:02 AM
Outstanding effort.

Scott West is pretty much the pioneer of the modern extraction and distribution we see midfielders employ on a weekly basis these days. He'll never get the kudos he deserves, but he changed the game with the way he went in head first, fought for the ball and accurately dished it off to those around him.

Should have a Brownlow around his neck, but alas!

strebla
05-06-2013, 02:36 AM
A true legend just love the bloke and his story.Really do wish that he left on better terms although he doesn't seem to hold a grudge just shows the mark of the man.
Well done Westy

jeemak
05-06-2013, 02:52 AM
A true legend just love the bloke and his story.Really do wish that he left on better terms although he doesn't seem to hold a grudge just shows the mark of the man.
Well done Westy

Yeah, it was sad to see West finish his career the way he did, but I reckon he was completely cooked and the decision was the correct one.

strebla
05-06-2013, 03:44 AM
Yeah, it was sad to see West finish his career the way he did, but I reckon he was completely cooked and the decision was the correct one.

I don't disagree with you here just would have loved a farewell match with both him and turtle.Saying goodbye to players is a memory that doesnt go away ask any on this board about Matty Robbins and Crofty was a great day (night) that will remain with me always.

Chicago1
05-06-2013, 03:55 AM
And yes, he did deserve to wear Douggy's #7. :p

Westy turned out to be one of my favourite Bulldogs ever. A well deserved honour.

chef
05-06-2013, 07:34 AM
What a champion, well done Westy.

LostDoggy
05-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Outstanding effort.

Scott West is pretty much the pioneer of the modern extraction and distribution we see midfielders employ on a weekly basis these days. He'll never get the kudos he deserves, but he changed the game with the way he went in head first, fought for the ball and accurately dished it off to those around him.

He just got inducted into the Hall Of Fame. Recognition enough.

I don't disagree with you here just would have loved a farewell match with both him and turtle.Saying goodbye to players is a memory that doesnt go away ask any on this board about Matty Robbins and Crofty was a great day (night) that will remain with me always.

On the flip side of that argument, as a club we hang onto individuals too much. Best choice for the club = the right choice.

Murphy'sLore
05-06-2013, 10:36 AM
It would have been heart-breaking if he had gone to Collingwood! What an absolute champion.

Twodogs
05-06-2013, 12:10 PM

Simon Garlick I think.

F'scary
05-06-2013, 01:59 PM
That is a great record. Speaks for itself. One of the top stars in the comp over more than 5 years. The competition for his spot in all those AA's would have been intense & his rivals included many of the other big names of the era.

Bulldog Revolution
05-06-2013, 02:05 PM
An absolute gun who conducted himself with absolute class on the night.

Scott was a super driven individual, and it is because of this drive he feels disappointed about not winning a flag, but Westy would never have been the champion he is, and was, without this drive

I have seen few players who worked as hard, were pound for pound as tough, and few players who were as consistent. Wests toughness was his constant and unflinching ability to put his head over the ball and put his body in.

bornadog
05-06-2013, 02:45 PM
great champion.

vmujpv4Czw8

strebla
05-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Simon Garlick I think.

Yeah I think your right did Matty Robbins share his last game as well though ??

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
05-06-2013, 05:31 PM

I only remember Crofty and Garlick retiring that night. Libbas farewell was a great game too.
Poor Westy just couldn't get over his injury - I remember him in the centre just handballing because he couldn't run. Great player always had space to use the ball.

immortalmike
05-06-2013, 06:26 PM

Yeah it was him and Darce who shared their last game.

Westy was an absolute star who should have been a multiple Brownlow winner, never saw him play a bad game.

One thing I do hate though is that every time one of our former greats is honoured the media have to give us the spiel about them almost leaving. It happened with Doug, it happened with Turtle, and now its happened with Westy. Does this happen with any other club? Also for once I want a player to answer the question with "never even crossed my mind, mate" or "I told them to stick their offer up their arse". I hold out hope for when Johnno is honoured.

ratsmac
05-06-2013, 07:20 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/289982-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Is this the Bulldogs future midfield right here?

bulldogtragic
05-06-2013, 07:27 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/289982-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

4 Westys, bring it on. :)

Hopefully we are till sprouting hard at it mids who can win their own ball with a no dickheads policy...

LostDoggy
05-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Outstanding effort.

Yep, can't be said enough.
As I have said in another thread a few days back. A lot of guys would not have touched the ball half as much if Westy wasn't in the trenches doing the dirty work dishing them the easy ball.

SonofScray
06-06-2013, 12:57 AM
One thing I do hate though is that every time one of our former greats is honoured the media have to give us the spiel about them almost leaving. It happened with Doug, it happened with Turtle, and now its happened with Westy. Does this happen with any other club? Also for once I want a player to answer the question with "never even crossed my mind, mate" or "I told them to stick their offer up their arse". I hold out hope for when Johnno is honoured.

Likewise, it is pretty disappointing that this line of conversation keeps getting brought up with our greats. You just don't see it elsewhere, or when you do it is in a different context.

Westy was very frank and honest in his reply, which is appreciated but at the same I feel it sums up for me why he wasn't my favourite. A sensational footballer and Clubman but maybe not in the same way as Grant, Libba, Johnno and Smith with regards to how fans their "Bulldog-ness."

Still, what a wonderful acknowledgment of his time in the game, he was a pleasure to watch..

bornadog
06-06-2013, 10:02 AM

A medal should be awarded to Mrs West bringing up four boys and a football husband. :eek:

KT31
06-06-2013, 11:07 AM
One of the Club's greatest and well deserved.
How great would it be if in a few years time all his boy's end up on the Doggies list and as great as Dad.

Yes but, Woewoful will never be a one club player or make the Hall of Fame.

Eastdog
06-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Congratulations Scott West. He is a champion of our club and of the AFL. Should of had a Brownlow.

Eze Dog
07-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Well done Westy! Absolute superstar! Was always going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame!