PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs in the Queens Birthday fixture

Go_Dogs
10-06-2013, 01:13 PM
I want to pose the question, assuming Melbourne get belted today I think the AFL should look at making a change to this fixture? It's a big draw card game and it needs to be a high standard game that attracts a crowd and a strong television audience.

Could the club make a hard push to have us instilled as the team to match up against the Pies for this game in coming years?

There would be a lot of positives from a Bulldog perspective if we could get involved in terms of revenue for the club. We might not be a highly competitive side at the moment but I expect that will change and I see a lot of positives for the AFL in giving us a fixture like this to help develop our membership base and continue to grow our brand.

Thoughts?

G-Mo77
10-06-2013, 01:17 PM
IMO all the set games should be scrapped (Yes including ANZAC Day) and have an actual draw not a fixture. Don't care for these traditional games.

lemmon
10-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Can't see our case for it being any stronger than the Dees, we aren't exactly pushing the 8. Why would the AFL shuffle it from a struggling club to a rebuilding one?

Eastdog
10-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Can't see our case for it being any stronger than the Dees, we aren't exactly pushing the 8. Why would the AFL shuffle it from a struggling club to a rebuilding one?

Also the fact that we don't draw the biggest crowds goes against us getting these types of matches.

bulldogtragic
10-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Two words:

Good Friday

bornadog
10-06-2013, 02:33 PM
I would love for us to get this game on Queens Birthday but I doubt the AFL would change things.

On crowds, I think we would attract a huge crowd, you only have to go back to 2006 and have a look at the big crowd against Collingwood during the season as well as the elimination final. The AFL and the club were surprised with the amount of red white and blue present.

mighty_west
10-06-2013, 03:16 PM
I would love for us to get this game on Queens Birthday but I doubt the AFL would change things.

On crowds, I think we would attract a huge crowd, you only have to go back to 2006 and have a look at the big crowd against Collingwood during the season as well as the elimination final. The AFL and the club were surprised with the amount of red white and blue present.

That Elim final would easily have been the grestest game I think I've attended, amazing atmosphere and of course beating the Pies in a final, just a massive buzz all game with the roar of our supporters especially in the final term.

bornadog
10-06-2013, 03:48 PM
That Elim final would easily have been the grestest game I think I've attended, amazing atmosphere and of course beating the Pies in a final, just a massive buzz all game with the roar of our supporters especially in the final term.

Our biggest crowd since the grand final in 1961 with over 82,000 there. One of my favourite games ever.

LostDoggy
10-06-2013, 06:14 PM
IMO all the set games should be scrapped (Yes including ANZAC Day) and have an actual draw not a fixture. Don't care for these traditional games.

Agreed

AndrewP6
10-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Could the club make a hard push to have us instilled as the team to match up against the Pies for this game in coming years?

Why us in particular? We're a way off playing finals, we hardly offer great commercial incentive to be given that game.

For mine, scrap the concept of 'these teams get this game' mentality.

jeemak
11-06-2013, 11:01 AM

The insistence of the AFL and the big clubs that these traditional blockbusters are great for the game is quite possibly the best example of how the code is going further and further up its own arse.

How a code can lay claim to any level of equality or integrity when a fundamental component such as the draw is compromised to the level it is baffles me.

So, I'm with you. Scrap the blockbusters and rotate the big public holidays amongst all the teams.

craigsahibee
11-06-2013, 11:45 AM

You can have a draw as such but still fixture these games to be allocated to their blockbuster timeslots.

Whatever way an equal draw is arrived at, Collingwood still need to play Essendon and Melbourne at least once per season. These games can be scheduled for Anzac Day and Queens Birthday without compromising the draw. I believe Collingwood and Essendon deserve to maintain their lease on Anzac Day, and I stress it's only a lease. Neither club is that big that they can claim to own the day. I have no qualms with St Kilda and Sydney playing Anzac Day Night n NZ, in fact I applaud the Saints for their initiative and the AFL should reward them by not scheduling any conflicting games.

What I do have a problem with is Carlton and Richmond's request to kick off the season every year (i know it didn't happen this year due to ground availbility) but really, what right do these 2 clubs have to demand a showcase timselot, given their recent histories. The "traditional rivals" argument starts to wear a bit thin with these so called big Melbourne based clubs, so maybe the season opener should be a "flexible permanent" fixture such as the Grand Finalists from the previous year, earn the right to start the season.

I would love to see us have a crack at Good Friday Footy. I know North have raised it before, so if we were to give it a go, I think a reciprocal rights agreement with another Melbourne based club (like North) would suit. I don't see the point in rewarding a "big" club with this fixture considering the preferential treatment they already receive. If we were to be guaranteed this game every year, our earning potential via sponsorship could improve significantly given the exposure we could create in the week leading up to the game.

Happy Days
11-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Two words:

Good Friday

+1. Us playing that Waco-ish cult they call North Melbourne would be perfect.

Ghost Dog
11-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Why can't we be rivals with GWS? Would love to see Callan Ward face off against the boys.

Maddog37
11-06-2013, 02:10 PM
You can have a draw as such but still fixture these games to be allocated to their blockbuster timeslots.

Whatever way an equal draw is arrived at, Collingwood still need to play Essendon and Melbourne at least once per season. These games can be scheduled for Anzac Day and Queens Birthday without compromising the draw. I believe Collingwood and Essendon deserve to maintain their lease on Anzac Day, and I stress it's only a lease. Neither club is that big that they can claim to own the day. I have no qualms with St Kilda and Sydney playing Anzac Day Night n NZ, in fact I applaud the Saints for their initiative and the AFL should reward them by not scheduling any conflicting games.

What I do have a problem with is Carlton and Richmond's request to kick off the season every year (i know it didn't happen this year due to ground availbility) but really, what right do these 2 clubs have to demand a showcase timselot, given their recent histories. The "traditional rivals" argument starts to wear a bit thin with these so called big Melbourne based clubs, so maybe the season opener should be a "flexible permanent" fixture such as the Grand Finalists from the previous year, earn the right to start the season.

I would love to see us have a crack at Good Friday Footy. I know North have raised it before, so if we were to give it a go, I think a reciprocal rights agreement with another Melbourne based club (like North) would suit. I don't see the point in rewarding a "big" club with this fixture considering the preferential treatment they already receive. If we were to be guaranteed this game every year, our earning potential via sponsorship could improve significantly given the exposure we could create in the week leading up to the game.

Two words, big crowds.

LostDoggy
12-06-2013, 02:47 PM
If the AFL really wanted to help the lower drawing clubs promote their brands they would lock in Western Bulldogs V North Melbourne Kangaroos on Good Friday at Etihad 2.30pm. We would get 45k plus each year.