PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Bulldogs Match ever you attended.

bornadog
10-06-2013, 04:05 PM
We have the thread of the favourite non-bulldogs match you attended, but what is the single favourite match you ever attended?

Mine is the 2006 Elimination final versus Collingwood in front of 84,284 fans (the biggest since the 1961 GF)

Collingwood Magpies 11.14 80
Western Bulldogs 18.13 121

Scott West 36 disposals

Monty got knocked out in the opening minutes but went on to kick 4 goals, Cooney at his best, Farren Ray played his best ever game for us as did Jordon MacMahon. A great day with a huge amount of the crowd donned in Red White and Blue

bulldogtragic
10-06-2013, 04:20 PM
Finals: Agree with you BAD
Home and Away: Round 1 2006 when we smashed Richmond by 115 points
Memorable: Last game at the Western Oval against WCE.

boydogs
10-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Scott West 36 disposals

Monty got knocked out in the opening minutes but went on to kick 4 goals, Cooney at his best, Farren Ray played his best ever game for us as did Jordon MacMahon. A great day with a huge amount of the crowd donned in Red White and Blue

Lindsay Gilbee waltzing through the middle of the ground and slotting them from 60 :D

Sedat
10-06-2013, 05:09 PM
We have the thread of the favourite non-bulldogs match you attended, but what is the single favourite match you ever attended?

Mine is the 2006 Elimination final versus Collingwood in front of 84,284 fans (the biggest since the 1961 GF)

Scott West 36 disposals

Easily my favourite Dogs game. Was awesome to see all those filth fans filing out of the aisles halfway through the last qtr. The win against Sydney in the 2010 First Semi was underrated - we were 5 goals down in a dour struggle but a Gia led recovery saw us sneak home. Also loved the 1992 First Semi against St Kilda - Granty destroyed the Saints that day as a 19yo. Saints were white-hot favourites but we smashed them off the park and led by 12 goals before St Kilda kicked a bunch of junk time goals to make the scoreboard a little more respectable. Keenan Reynolds did a superb job on Stewey Loewe.

There were 3 sensational H&A games in 2000 that were all brilliant. Everyone knows the Super Flood v Essendon, but I actually rate the win against Carlton at Optus Oval as a superior win. Also we beat Norf at Etihad when we were 7 goals down early on the 3rd qtr - Matty Croft won a number of key one-on-ones against Carey to bring us home that day.

Some of those wins down at Kardinia Park from 1995 to 2001 would have been fantastic to attend.

Eastdog
10-06-2013, 05:11 PM
This season I've been going more to the games and I would have to say that the Brisbane match in Round 1 I thought was great. We totally dominated them and they had no answer. If only we played like that every week. The Essendon match in 2000 would have been great to attend.

Evel
10-06-2013, 06:38 PM
The first final against Sydney in 1997. Halfway through the first quarter it looked like it would be a tight game then the floodgates opened. Leaving that game I've never felt better or more confident we were a chance at pinching a flag.

Maddog37
10-06-2013, 07:13 PM
The Pies final was a euphoric feeling that sadly was darkened by a few Pies numpties offering to punch my head in for daring to celebrate the win.

Loved that Hawks games a couple of years ago when we were nearly 100 up at half time. Was with three hawks fans in the medallion club and they turned on their own team mercilessly. Great night.

ReLoad
10-06-2013, 08:27 PM
I have 2 a win and a loss.

The win was at the Western Oval against Carlton, where Marc Arceri(sic) scored the only goal for the blues.
The game itself was crap, the weather was crap, but to keep the cheats to a goal was brilliant
Even then they only got the goal because of a dubious free kick with 5 minutes to go.

The other great game was a loss against North Melbourne in 97 or 98 at the MCG. Carey dominated at one end and Grant dominated the other, the last quarter went for 36 minutes in a goal fest, it was the most skilful and amazing game I have ever seen, Turtle was just as good, if not better than the King.

I already knew he was a champ, but Bruce Macaveny went through 4 more than usual boxes of tissues that day for Turtle. "Special"

LostDoggy
10-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Round 16 , 1999 v Adelaide at MCG.

went with my dad and we were nearly 7 goals down at 3/4 time. We were close to leaving but thank god we stayed. Kicked 6 plus change in the last to 1 point to run over them.

Happy Days
11-06-2013, 12:05 AM
The two games against Geelong in 2006, where we won one by a point and lost one by a point, were the most aesthetically pleasing games I've ever seen. At the zenith of our run and gun game before we had to harden up to deal with forward presses and all that other stuff.

craigsahibee
11-06-2013, 11:59 AM
I have 2 a win and a loss.

The win was at the Western Oval against Carlton, where Marc Arceri(sic) scored the only goal for the blues.
The game itself was crap, the weather was crap, but to keep the cheats to a goal was brilliant
Even then they only got the goal because of a dubious free kick with 5 minutes to go.

The other great game was a loss against North Melbourne in 97 or 98 at the MCG. Carey dominated at one end and Grant dominated the other, the last quarter went for 36 minutes in a goal fest, it was the most skilful and amazing game I have ever seen, Turtle was just as good, if not better than the King.

I already knew he was a champ, but Bruce Macaveny went through 4 more than usual boxes of tissues that day for Turtle. "Special"

Final round of 1998. Winner claimed top spot.

I don't normally enjoy a loss, but you're spot on. One of the best games I have seen. I'm sure neutrals would have enjoyed it even more. I remember feeling a great sense of pride walking out of the G that night knowing that MY team were as good as any other team going around that year, and that we had the respect of the competition.

As far as my favourite match I ever attended, I reckon it might have to be the day Dougie broke EJ's games record. A huge crowd at the Whitten Oval and the atmosphere there was just fun. I think that's the best word to descrbe it, fun. Cans from the bar under the scoreboard and a bloody good win to top it off. Great day.

LostDoggy
12-06-2013, 02:32 PM

Scott West 36 disposals

This is my favourite match that I have attended as well.

My other favourite match to attend was Johno's 300 game V Crows R1 2009, he kicked 3or4 goals in the last qtr to get us across the line.

LostDoggy
12-06-2013, 02:53 PM
The Essendon game .The only team to beat them that year .. Yessssss

Bulldog Joe
12-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Lots of great memories in this thread.

Despite being from Tasmania, I did get to see a few that have been mentioned.

The 1992 Waverley final against the Saints was fantastic. Keenan Reynolds was sensational and amazingly Plugger played pretty poorly but got 5 goals while Danny Del Re lit up the crowd with 5 for us.

I was at Whitten oval the next year and we again beat the Saints with Plugger getting a solitary goal with his only kick. He only got the kick because he steamrolled his team mate Craig Davenport as Davenport took a mark and could not take his kick.

I was also at Docklands for the win over Essendon in 2000. A beautiful result and attended with an Essendon fan.

Also fond memories of the win over the Pies in 2006 and some of the Collingwoods were actually leaving before 3/4 time.

Really enjoyed Chris Grant's 300th in 05 when we were huge underdogs to get over Adelaide with Darcy starring forward and Minno taking over in the ruck.

Same year the win at Docklands over Brisbane when Minno smashed them in the ruck and Coons had about 8 clearances in the last quarter as we kicked 9 for the term.

G-Mo77
12-06-2013, 04:50 PM

Scott West 36 disposals

Mine as well. This was actually my first final I ever attended, I never made the trek down before then. I remember it very well, while I was walking down to my seat (2 rows from the fence L1) some Collingwood flog stands in my way and says to me "It's going to be a long day for you today" my response was "We'll see" Went to the toilet at the end of the 3rd and planned on giving him a smile and telling him how much I enjoyed the game. Seat vacated.

Monty getting maimed early on and coming back and kicking a lazy 4 was huge. Kicked one of them on that rat as well which was nice.

Cooney kicked a bag as well.

Smith's celebration when kicking a goal is a memory burn.

That dopey areshole Rocca hardly had a touch. Only thing he did was make a lame attempt at taking out Shaggy. I still hate that overrated sack of you know what.

A day when everything went right for us.

Go_Dogs
12-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Having only recently made the move over to Melbourne my list of options isn't anywhere as large as most of you, but two games stand out for mine.

Coincidentally, both are from 2009.

The first, round 7 v Adelaide at AAMI. I was lucky enough to sit in the Crows Chairman's box as a guest through a client of my dad's (proudly wearing all my Bulldogs get up, much to everyone's disgust). A nice sit down lunch, beers and wines flowing, they had a raffle in the box for picking the first goal kicker. I selected Goodwin, won the prize which was a Mother's Day pack (which made up for missing Mothers Day lunch when I arrived at my mum's and gave it to her!) which I received from Brett Burton who seemed a bit annoyed that a bloke in Bulldogs gear had won the prize. To cap it off we had a great win.

The second was the Rd 21 game against Geelong at Etihad which I made the flight over for. Ended up at the game solo as the mate I was staying with had to head back to Adelaide for the weekend - wow, what a game. Managed to get home in time to see the replay on foxtel, which I ended up watching 3 times over the weekend - one of our best H&A victories in my time. Gave me a whole heap of confidence heading into the finals. Sadly when I came over for the QF final against Collingwood a few weeks later I had to endure a similar fate to when I flew over for the QF in 2008 v Hawthorn....I don't like QF's much :D

bornadog
12-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Having only recently made the move over to Melbourne my list of options isn't anywhere as large as most of you, but two games stand out for mine.

Coincidentally, both are from 2009.

The first, round 7 v Adelaide at AAMI. I was lucky enough to sit in the Crows Chairman's box as a guest through a client of my dad's (proudly wearing all my Bulldogs get up, much to everyone's disgust). A nice sit down lunch, beers and wines flowing, they had a raffle in the box for picking the first goal kicker. I selected Goodwin, won the prize which was a Mother's Day pack (which made up for missing Mothers Day lunch when I arrived at my mum's and gave it to her!) which I received from Brett Burton who seemed a bit annoyed that a bloke in Bulldogs gear had won the prize. To cap it off we had a great win.

The second was the Rd 21 game against Geelong at Etihad which I made the flight over for. Ended up at the game solo as the mate I was staying with had to head back to Adelaide for the weekend - wow, what a game. Managed to get home in time to see the replay on foxtel, which I ended up watching 3 times over the weekend - one of our best H&A victories in my time. Gave me a whole heap of confidence heading into the finals. Sadly when I came over for the QF final against Collingwood a few weeks later I had to endure a similar fate to when I flew over for the QF in 2008 v Hawthorn....I don't like QF's much :D

That was 2010. 2009 we played Geelong in the QF.

Go_Dogs
12-06-2013, 05:01 PM
That was 2010. 2009 we played Geelong in the QF.

You're right, my mistake. Either way I'm 0 - 3 in QF's and I'm very tempted to give our next one a miss for the sake of the team.

Sedat
12-06-2013, 05:16 PM
Despite being from Tasmania, I did get to see a few that have been mentioned.
Did you go to Launceston in 2008 to see the Dogs against the Hawks? One of the more satisfying H&A victories I've been to and it improved my interstate record to 2 and 0 - the first interstate game I went to was our victory against Brisbane at the Gabba in 1999, which was infamous for the Libba scratch/gouge affair and also for it being one of the wettest games in VFL/AFL history. Spent the weekend on the Gold Coast and the torrential rain did not let up for 48 hours. I also parked in the backyard of someone's house between Stanley St and Vulture St that Tony Leonard always talks about whenever he goes to the Gabba - best $8 I ever spent. Also got in for free with my AFL Membership even though it isn't supposed to be transferable at the Gabba - the gate attendant wasn't exactly au fait with the AFL's entry policy :D

Greystache
12-06-2013, 05:22 PM
You're right, my mistake. Either way I'm 0 - 3 in QF's and I'm very tempted to give our next one a miss for the sake of the team.

You're not on your own, other than during the brief Mcintyre System period with 1 v 8, 2 v 7 etc we've never won a qualifying final, we're 0-5

LostDoggy
12-06-2013, 09:28 PM
2006 Elimination Final was a fantastic day for our football club

westdog54
12-06-2013, 09:56 PM

went with my dad and we were nearly 7 goals down at 3/4 time. We were close to leaving but thank god we stayed. Kicked 6 plus change in the last to 1 point to run over them.

Remember it well. Was in the middle tier of the Ponsford stand and when the siren went we were jumping up on the old wooden seats waving whatever we could get our hands on. Fantastic day.

That same year, Round 21 vs West Coast at Optus Oval. We were 15.4 at 3qt but kicked an agonising 1.6 in the last, only to hold the Eagles out to win by 2 points, a win that secured as a home final that year (That we would ironically lose to West Coast by a kick).

Cummings kicked 6 for the Eagles, Garlick 4 for us, Cousins had the ball on a string.

I was standing on the Heatley Terrace which grew more and more exasperated as the last quarter wore on and it looked like we might let it slip. When the siren went the roar was like nothing I'd heard before. The bloke next to me (who was about a foot shorter than me even though I was only 16) turned around and picked me up in a big bear hug as I started wildly waving my flag.

I actually miss Optus Oval.

Twodogs
13-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Smith's celebration when kicking a goal is a memory

That was awesome wasn't it? From memory Monty was about to have a shot at an open goal-he was halfway through his ball drop when he heard Bubba call for the ball-and somehow managed to stop kicking the ball, gain control of it again and dished it off to Rohan so he could kick the goal.

Twodogs
13-06-2013, 12:35 AM
There were 3 sensational H&A games in 2000 that were all brilliant. Everyone knows the Super Flood v Essendon, but I actually rate the win against Carlton at Optus Oval as a superior win.

You're right the Carlton game was a better win. It was made all the sweeter because the free kick Trent Bartlett 15 metres out in time on of the last quarter to kick the winner wasn't a free!
I have a framed picture of Bartlett and Rohan Smith walking off the ground. Bartlett has his arms up in victory pose and Bubba Is kissing the bulldog on his jumper. Carlton fans are screaming at hem over the fence. It's by far my favourite footy picture.

Some of those wins down at Kardinia Park from 1995 to 2001 would have been fantastic to attend.

In '99 We were five goals down halfway through the last quarter and then Paul Hudson played the best ten minutes of footy he ever played to drag us over the line. One of those buck toothed, pale, red headed Geelong fans had been saying "who's woofing now?" to me for most of the last quarter. As I walked past him after the game I leaned over and whispered "woof *!*!*!*!ing woof" into his ear. He looked miserable.

Bulldog Joe
13-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Did you go to Launceston in 2008 to see the Dogs against the Hawks? One of the more satisfying H&A victories I've been to and it improved my interstate record to 2 and 0 ...

Yes, I did attend that Launceston match. We inflicted the Hawks first loss of the year in that game.

Another great footy memory.

nagoyadog
13-06-2013, 07:58 PM

Scott West 36 disposals

Unfotunately, I was living in Japan (from 2005-2011), and only got to see it on my small laptop. It would have been magic to be there. Envious of you guys who got to see this game and many other crackers during that period.

Many favorites already mentioned, so I'll add one that I don't think is listed. The Footscray v Collingwood game at the Western Oval in 1984.

I'm sure many of you know this game. I was used to being outnumbered as a Dogs fan, but not at the kennel. But on that day, there were Pies fans eveywhere. I was angered that they infiltrated my usual position behind the goals at the Geelong rd end. Collingwood fans were giving it to us all day, and it looked like they were going to pull off a win and rub it in further. 5 points down, dying seconds, forward pocket for the Dogs, Graham Allen from Collingwood was awarded a free kick and did the unthinkable in the 80s. He attempted to pass across the goals. I don't know the Collingwood player he was targeting, but the ball didn't make it past the outstretched arms of Simon Beasley at the top of the goal square. We were in raptures! It was the loudest I had ever heard the Buldogs supporters up until then. The siren went and Beaser slammed it through. We went nuts...and gave it to the Collingwood fans. I was 14 at the time and that game still remains special after all these years.

LostDoggy
13-06-2013, 11:19 PM
My top 4:

1. First win v WCE in Perth - 95? Players shook a lot of hands on the boundary. WCE came in in '87.
2.Win against Adelaide 2006 (what a great year) - sitting right behind Cooney's match winner
3. EF v Coll 2006 as above ^
4. Crofty's last game

Twodogs
14-06-2013, 09:05 AM
U
I'm sure many of you know this game. I was used to being outnumbered as a Dogs fan, but not at the kennel. But on that day, there were Pies fans eveywhere. I was angered that they infiltrated my usual position behind the goals at the Geelong rd end. Collingwood fans were giving it to us all day, and it looked like they were going to pull off a win and rub it in further. 5 points down, dying seconds, forward pocket for the Dogs, Graham Allen from Collingwood was awarded a free kick and did the unthinkable in the 80s. He attempted to pass across the goals. I don't know the Collingwood player he was targeting, but the ball didn't make it past the outstretched arms of Simon Beasley at the top of the goal square. We were in raptures! It was the loudest I had ever heard the Buldogs supporters up until then. The siren went and Beaser slammed it through. We went nuts...and gave it to the Collingwood fans. I was 14 at the time and that game still remains special after all these years.

It was Greg Phillips. I remember my Collingwood supporter friend (it happened right in front of us) yelling "Philips-kick it to Phillips. Oh no. you *!*!*!*!ing idiot Gubby why did you kick it to Phillips."

We were nearly 6 goals behind in the third quarter that day. Back then sides didnt usually come from that far behind to win.

craigsahibee
14-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Unfotunately, I was living in Japan (from 2005-2011), and only got to see it on my small laptop. It would have been magic to be there. Envious of you guys who got to see this game and many other crackers during that period.

Many favorites already mentioned, so I'll add one that I don't think is listed. The Footscray v Collingwood game at the Western Oval in 1984.

That day was my 15th birthday.

Apart from the Steve Austin action figure with the bionic arm and the x-ray vision eye that I received when I was about 8, it was possibly the best present I ever received. ;)

LostDoggy
14-06-2013, 11:04 AM
2006 Elimination final versus Collingwood.

Sat in the new stand for the first time behind the goal at the punt road end. Bloody Glorious and and absolute pleasure to see Monty get up after being totally poleaxed at the opening bounce and then dominate the remainder of the game

The Pie Man
14-06-2013, 12:25 PM

This is in my top 5 - couldn't believe it when Darcy tied the scores, let alone we actually got up to win.

Random one for you all - Round 20 at Adelaide 1997. We won by 43 points, Cook ran down a Crow on their HB flank and nailed the resulting free from 60 out. One of my favourite memories of 97

2010 semi win vs Sydney was damn good fun to be at in the end.

2006 Collingwood elimination was a great day.

1998 vs Sydney at Waverley was a great game to watch. Hudson put us in front late, and a Lockett soccer attempt dribbled wide to hand us the win.

always right
14-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Yes, I did attend that Launceston match. We inflicted the Hawks first loss of the year in that game.

Another great footy memory.

Hereby known as the "Tom Williams towelled up Buddy Franklin" memorial match. Tom's performance that day increases in stature every year.:D I reckon that come 2020 it will be inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame "outstanding performances in footy".

Greystache
14-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Hereby known as the "Tom Williams towelled up Buddy Franklin" memorial match. Tom's performance that day increases in stature every year.:D I reckon that come 2020 it will be inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame "outstanding performances in footy".

Similar to Will Minson's 2008 season playing full forward. He kicked 19 goals in 25 games, but it seems to go up by 10 every year. A few weeks ago someone was trying to tell me he kicked nearly 50 that year.

By 2020 the AFL will have to retrospectively award him the Coleman medal for having beaten Franklin's 113.

Twodogs
14-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Similar to Will Minson's 2008 season playing full forward. He kicked 19 goals in 25 games, but it seems to go up by 10 every year. A few weeks ago someone was trying to tell me he kicked nearly 50 that year.

By 2020 the AFL will have to retrospectively award him the Coleman medal for having beaten Franklin's 113.

He kicked the first 18 goals straight didnt he?

Bulldog4life
14-06-2013, 02:58 PM
There have been a lot of great matches I have seen over the years but the match that sticks in my mind the most was round 11 1991 on the 2nd June.

In that match we held Carlton ...who I despise so it was great ha ha....to only one goal. The worse thing about the game is that their goal was scored from a free kick against Super with less than a minute to go. The rain pelted down all day and I stood in the forward pocket at the Geelong Road end drenched to the nines but extremely happy.

Greystache
14-06-2013, 03:12 PM
He kicked the first 18 goals straight didnt he?

I don't think so, he kicked his first goal in round 3 and kicked 1-1 for the match.

He finished with 19-11 for the season, so was reasonably accurate

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-06-2013, 04:45 PM
Did you go to Launceston in 2008 to see the Dogs against the Hawks? One of the more satisfying H&A victories I've been to and it improved my interstate record to 2 and 0 - the first interstate game I went to was our victory against Brisbane at the Gabba in 1999, which was infamous for the Libba scratch/gouge affair and also for it being one of the wettest games in VFL/AFL history. Spent the weekend on the Gold Coast and the torrential rain did not let up for 48 hours. I also parked in the backyard of someone's house between Stanley St and Vulture St that Tony Leonard always talks about whenever he goes to the Gabba - best $8 I ever spent. Also got in for free with my AFL Membership even though it isn't supposed to be transferable at the Gabba - the gate attendant wasn't exactly au fait with the AFL's entry policy :D

That game at Brisbane is where I met my eventual wife for the first time. She was a last minute ring in for a friend of my cousin who couldn't make it. It was a torrential downpour, we won & I found my soulmate. She also became a one eyed Bulldog's supporter too. So for all that, this has become my favourite Bulldog's game that I've attended.

LostDoggy
14-06-2013, 06:16 PM
There have been a lot of great matches I have seen over the years but the match that sticks in my mind the most was round 11 1991 on the 2nd June.

In that match we held Carlton ...who I despise so it was great ha ha....to only one goal. The worse thing about the game is that their goal was scored from a free kick against Super with less than a minute to go. The rain pelted down all day and I stood in the forward pocket at the Geelong Road end drenched to the nines but extremely happy.

Carltons motto after that
One Team One Goal

always right
14-06-2013, 08:04 PM
That game at Brisbane is where I met my eventual wife for the first time. She was a last minute ring in for a friend of my cousin who couldn't make it. It was a torrential downpour, we won & I found my soulmate. She also became a one eyed Bulldog's supporter too. So for all that, this has become my favourite Bulldog's game that I've attended.

Nice story and I'm glad you're happy with your wife.....but do you ever wonder how good looking that friend of your cousin might have been? Just wondering.

always right
14-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Carltons motto after that
One Team One Goal

:D Wish this forum had a like button.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Nice story and I'm glad you're happy with your wife.....but do you ever wonder how good looking that friend of your cousin might have been? Just wondering.

Haha!!
My cousins mate was a balding 40 year old dude. So all I missed out on was meeting future me.

gohardorgohome
14-06-2013, 10:45 PM

I remember that game with great fondness. I think Denis Banks from Collingwood took mark of the year that day as well.

The reaction of Jimmy Edmond to Gubby Allen's clanger was priceless.

always right
15-06-2013, 02:17 AM
Haha!!
My cousins mate was a balding 40 year old dude. So all I missed out on was meeting future me.

Well played m'lord

bornadog
15-06-2013, 05:06 PM

Scott West 36 disposals

Some highlights:

M-z7Dqv8XrY

Ghost Dog
16-06-2013, 12:23 AM
These days, not sure if they would let him back on.

ratsmac
16-06-2013, 01:00 PM
My fav final would have to be the one against Collingwood that has been mentioned a lot already.

But H&A would have to Johnno's 300th against Adelaide where Johnno was kicking them out of his backside. But that is tied with the win against Essendon in 2000. Just the fact that we have stopped those pricks from boasting about going through a season undefeated. Grants left footer from the boundary after Fletcher dribbled it out on the full. love it!

Most memorable is the 1990 win against Collingwood at the MCG. Collingwood won the flag that year. Billy the kid taking on Graheme Wright to put us back in front was sensational. Fozzies mark at the end was great too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM7rFc3xqLo