PDA

View Full Version : AFL Live App - Radio Streaming Sucks

EasternWest
16-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Anybody use this app to listen to the footy?

I'm trying to, but it cuts out every two to three seconds like the SEN app used to. It's unusable.

My internet connection is good, before anyone asks.

Anyone got any suggestions, maybe even alternative means?

Eastdog
16-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Anybody use this app to listen to the footy?

I'm trying to, but it cuts out every two to three seconds like the SEN app used to. It's unusable.

My internet connection is good, before anyone asks.

Anyone got any suggestions, maybe even alternative means?

Foxtel if you have it or the radio.

EasternWest
16-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Sigh. Well I guess I deserved that. Seems I need to be clearer.

I should have said "as I don't have foxtel and traditional radio reception in my area is equally poor, does anyone have any suggestions for internet radio streaming options?"

Eastdog
16-06-2013, 05:59 PM
Sigh. Well I guess I deserved that. Seems I need to be clearer.

I should have said "as I don't have foxtel and traditional radio reception in my area is equally poor, does anyone have any suggestions for internet radio streaming options?"

Go to the triple M website or SEN website EasternWest to get a live stream from there. Hope I've helped.

EasternWest
16-06-2013, 06:02 PM
You haven't, but I appreciate you trying.

The AFL don't allow internet streaming of games via the respective radio stations websites unfortunately.

bornadog
16-06-2013, 06:11 PM
http://www.telstra.com.au/latest-offers/afl/

EasternWest
16-06-2013, 06:15 PM
http://www.telstra.com.au/latest-offers/afl/

Did you not read the title of the thread?

Eastdog
16-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm pretty you can stream SEN radio from your iPhone if you have the app or on the Internet but maybe the font allow live footy streaming.

EasternWest
16-06-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm pretty you can stream SEN radio from your iPhone if you have the app or on the Internet but maybe the font allow live footy streaming.

Yeah that's right. About half an hour before the game you've gotta switch over to the AFL app/site.

Anyway, probably doesn't matter too much now as I've missed half the game. Cheers.

Eastdog
16-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Yeah that's right. About half an hour before the game you've gotta switch over to the AFL app/site.

Anyway, probably doesn't matter too much now as I've missed half the game. Cheers.

Sorry about that. Anyways the Pies are thrashing us.

EasternWest
16-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Sorry about that. Anyways the Pies are thrashing us.

No need for apologies mate. You tried!;-)

Topdog
16-06-2013, 07:33 PM

Its a much better option though. At $90 it is the best purchase I have made this year.

Anyway back to the question at hand about 5 years ago I was able to extract the url of the radio stream using a simple program i downloaded. From that point on I was able to just use that url and bypass the afl site completely. Haven't used it for 2 years due to aforementioned afl app.

Or if your phone has an FM radio you could use that.

EasternWest
16-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Anyway back to the question at hand about 5 years ago I was able to extract the url of the radio stream using a simple program i downloaded. From that point on I was able to just use that url and bypass the afl site completely. Haven't used it for 2 years due to aforementioned afl app.

Or if your phone has an FM radio you could use that.

I did have something similar to that last year, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work anymore.

Ad for the fm radio thing as I said, I've got crap reception where I live.

Eastdog
16-06-2013, 07:43 PM
I did have something similar to that last year, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work anymore.

Ad for the fm radio thing as I said, I've got crap reception where I live.

Bad reception. Is it cause your in the country maybe.

EasternWest
16-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Bad reception. Is it cause your in the country maybe.

Steady on, I'm only in Upwey ;-)

Eastdog
16-06-2013, 08:09 PM

Near the Dandenongs. Not too far out. Anyways game over now.

bornadog
16-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Its a much better option though. At $90 it is the best purchase I have made this year.

Or you can have a once off month for $15 or so.

bornadog
16-06-2013, 08:42 PM

Just tried to give you an option:rolleyes:

The Underdog
16-06-2013, 08:58 PM

If only I'd known, that's where I parked my car, you could have sat in that & listened the game. Radio works fine :)

EasternWest
16-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Just tried to give you an option:rolleyes:

Why rolleyes?

i already stated the app doesn't work properly (at least for me), and your "suggestion" was a link to the same app.

Eastdog
16-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Why rolleyes?

i already stated the app doesn't work properly (at least for me), and your "suggestion" was a link to the same app.

There really should of been a match on free to air today.

Topdog
16-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Why rolleyes?

The radio part might not work well but the video works brilliantly.

With FM radio on phone I know it needs headphones in to operate so I assumed it used it as an antenna and therefore may improve the quality of the radio.

bornadog
16-06-2013, 11:48 PM
The radio part might not work well but the video works brilliantly.

With FM radio on phone I know it needs headphones in to operate so I assumed it used it as an antenna and therefore may improve the quality of the radio.

At least some posters know what I am talking about.

EasternWest
16-06-2013, 11:50 PM
At least some posters know what I am talking about.

If you were actually trying to be helpful you would have said "try the video", or even made some other useful comment. Just posting a link was no help at all. I'll try to read your mind better in future.

bornadog
16-06-2013, 11:54 PM
If you were actually trying to be helpful you would have said "try the video", or even made some other useful comment. Just posting a link was no help at all. I'll try to read your mind better in future.

Ok, next time I will give a better description. I thought the link was obvious when you took a look at all the options available on the web page.

GVGjr
16-06-2013, 11:57 PM
Guys, time to let it go? Both points have been made.

EasternWest
17-06-2013, 12:04 AM
Ok, next time I will give a better description. I thought the link was obvious when you took a look at all the options available on the web page.

I

Guys, time to let it go? Both points have been made.

No probs.

Eastdog
17-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Maybe EW you could head down to the Irish if you want to make the drive from Upwey to Wantirna if all else fails in terms of live streams. I'm sure they would of screened the match yesterday although there might be a pub closer to where you are.

Throughandthrough
17-06-2013, 04:08 PM
works fine for me, i use it a lot. I'm with Telstra, it works better if i turn the wi-fi off on my phone.

EasternWest
17-06-2013, 05:56 PM
works fine for me, i use it a lot. I'm with Telstra, it works better if i turn the wi-fi off on my phone.

You know, that didn't occur to me to try. I was using it over WiFi, but I'll try next time with 3g. Thanks t&t, for your suggestion.

Templeton31
17-06-2013, 09:56 PM
You know, that didn't occur to me to try. I was using it over WiFi, but I'll try next time with 3g. Thanks t&t, for your suggestion.

If it works EasternWest let me know. I was infuriated by it yesterday. Listening on my android phone via TuneIn, I changed to the afl app when the stream moved over their 40minutes before the game and couldnt get it to work. Tried all my usual tricks including the stream by pass on TuneIn and turning wifi off. I should add I found it worked fine until 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I live in the ACT and the AFL's need to control everything (eg put a radio stream through their own website/app instead of letting the radio stations stream it) meant I listened to Rugby League on the radio yesterday arvo.

EasternWest
21-06-2013, 10:01 PM

If it works EasternWest let me know. I was infuriated by it yesterday. Listening on my android phone via TuneIn, I changed to the afl app when the stream moved over their 40minutes before the game and couldnt get it to work. Tried all my usual tricks including the stream by pass on TuneIn and turning wifi off. I should add I found it worked fine until 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I live in the ACT and the AFL's need to control everything (eg put a radio stream through their own website/app instead of letting the radio stations stream it) meant I listened to Rugby League on the radio yesterday arvo.

Well that was interesting.

Turned off WiFi and listened to the entirety of the Hawks/Eagles game via 3g, and it was perfect. Turned WiFi back on, crap again.

Thanks t&t, half a game does not a season make, but it looks promising. Give it a go, Templeton31.

Hotdog60
08-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Just a question for the fellow Woofers.

Did anyone use the live app for watching the games?

I have Foxtel and I was thinking if I could live stream from the afl app to my TV would it work. I only have the standard Foxtel box so I don't have HD at the moment so would the quality be any different. $89 dollars for the year sounds a lot better than $800 for fox.

I only use fox for the footy, last year I did suspend it for 3 month in the off season but so far this year I swapped to the movie channel and it's crap. Once you have watched the one or two movies of interest everything is just repeated.

So if I can get live Bulldogs games from the App that is smooth and no drop out it would be very cost affective in my case.

EasternWest
08-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Just a question for the fellow Woofers.

Did anyone use the live app for watching the games?

I have Foxtel and I was thinking if I could live stream from the afl app to my TV would it work. I only have the standard Foxtel box so I don't have HD at the moment so would the quality be any different. $89 dollars for the year sounds a lot better than $800 for fox.

I only use fox for the footy, last year I did suspend it for 3 month in the off season but so far this year I swapped to the movie channel and it's crap. Once you have watched the one or two movies of interest everything is just repeated.

So if I can get live Bulldogs games from the App that is smooth and no drop out it would be very cost affective in my case.

Honestly I think its reliability would be dependent on your internet speed.

I would try streaming a variety of live sports in the interim and make the call then.

I'm considering doing it myself next year.

Also, since this thread has been resurrected I have found out that my internet speed had been cut to 20 bps after a carpet installer half sliced through my phone line. Once I had that fixed my speed went back to 4 mbps, which I imagine will alleviate the cutting out issue I had.

Hotdog60
08-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Honestly I think its reliability would be dependent on your internet speed.

I would try streaming a variety of live sports in the interim and make the call then.

I'm considering doing it myself next year.

Also, since this thread has been resurrected I have found out that my internet speed had been cut to 20 bps after a carpet installer half sliced through my phone line. Once I had that fixed my speed went back to 4 mbps, which I imagine will alleviate the cutting out issue I had.

Thanks EasternWest,

I'm on cable and I'm currently around 18mb down and 0.5 up. But my provider (Optus) have a deal which is supposed to be unlimited downloads and I heard un-throttled for $120 plus that includes your phone. So if I lose Fox I can put that money to top up my current plan.
But as you say a bit of testing with some replays maybe.

Twodogs
08-11-2013, 02:33 PM
I have this app on my IPad:

http://tunein.com/

It has access to thousands of radio stations. I can listen to any EPL game live on it along with access to talk and music stations. My son is a Denver Broncos supporter and he found a sports talk station from Denver on it.

EasternWest
08-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Thanks EasternWest,

I'm on cable and I'm currently around 18mb down and 0.5 up. But my provider (Optus) have a deal which is supposed to be unlimited downloads and I heard un-throttled for $120 plus that includes your phone. So if I lose Fox I can put that money to top up my current plan.

No probs.

Wow, 18mbps? Cable? Serves me right for living in the boonies.

I have this app on my IPad:

http://tunein.com/

It has access to thousands of radio stations. I can listen to any EPL game live on it along with access to talk and music stations. My son is a Denver Broncos supporter and he found a sports talk station from Denver on it.

But no live AFL. Sad face.

Twodogs
08-11-2013, 03:02 PM
But no live AFL. Sad face.

There may be. It's got ABC radio (with Grandstand) and SEN loaded so there might be AFL but I didn't find the app until the season had finished so I can't be sure. The only thing that might stop it having AFL is copyright issues playing it inside Australia (I don't think the app has the EPL inside Great Britain) and I couldn't find a broadcast of Arsenal's Champion League game on Wednesday morning despite it being advertised as being available.

bornadog
08-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Thanks EasternWest,

I am on Ultra Cable (Bigpond) - 100mb

Hotdog60
08-11-2013, 03:59 PM
I am on Ultra Cable (Bigpond) - 100mb

Great speed. And being Telstra you get the AFL too I suspect.

EasternWest
08-11-2013, 06:28 PM
There may be. It's got ABC radio (with Grandstand) and SEN loaded so there might be AFL but I didn't find the app until the season had finished so I can't be sure. The only thing that might stop it having AFL is copyright issues playing it inside Australia (I don't think the app has the EPL inside Great Britain) and I couldn't find a broadcast of Arsenal's Champion League game on Wednesday morning despite it being advertised as being available.

I have tune in. They don't do AFL games, I assume due to copyright.

bornadog
08-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Great speed. And being Telstra you get the AFL too I suspect.

I usually watch the footy on Foxtel.

I guess if you have a tablet you can subscribe on their and if you have a media player you can use to watch on your TV. Otherwise there are many other ways? How do you stream from Computer/tablet to TV?

Hotdog60
08-11-2013, 11:18 PM
I usually watch the footy on Foxtel.

I guess if you have a tablet you can subscribe on their and if you have a media player you can use to watch on your TV. Otherwise there are many other ways? How do you stream from Computer/tablet to TV?

I just brought this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200960697747&ssPageName=ADME:X:BOCOR:AU:1123

2mjtDipEpGo

I'll test it out and see how it goes. If it works I should be able to see the AFL streaming on my LED HD tv. It will just depend on how the up scaling goes to 1080P.

Remi Moses
08-11-2013, 11:54 PM
I think there is a rights agreement where you can only listen to live games on the AFL app.
Can't listen to the footy on tunein.

FrediKanoute
09-11-2013, 10:26 AM
I think there is a rights agreement where you can only listen to live games on the AFL app.
Can't listen to the footy on tunein.

Yep, either via App or through the website. Also if you think streaming audio is bad try streaming video......woeful