PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 13 vs Richmond

GVGjr
16-06-2013, 07:56 PM
After this evenings poor display if you were on the match committee what changes would you make for round 13 match-up against Richmond at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for you changes would be appreciated.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Markovic - please never play him again. I've done this topic to death though.
Addison - his worst game of the year.

I would consider dropping Dahlhaus too.

Hunter and Hrovat should both play.

GVGjr
16-06-2013, 08:23 PM
This is a hard one.

In - Cross, Hunter and Austin
Out - Addison, Picken and Markovic

I'd be tempted to play Roughead forward (at least some of the game) and hope that Talia, Morris and Austin can handle the Richmond tall forwards.

Picken needs a week of getting a bit of the ball at Williamstown. Dahlhaus lucky to survive.

Remi Moses
16-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Hunter Hrovat Austin ( better than Markovic )
Picken Addison Markovic

bulldogtragic
16-06-2013, 08:28 PM
In: talented kids who need development

Out: ..... Marko (forever!!!!)

GVGjr
16-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Hunter Hrovat Austin ( better than Markovic )
Picken Addison Markovic

Dahlhaus, Hunter and Hrovat will give us a very small forward line especially when we add Giansiracusa.

Maddog37
16-06-2013, 08:31 PM
How big was the Pies forward line today?

Go_Dogs
16-06-2013, 08:45 PM
I'd be tempted to play Roughead forward (at least some of the game) and hope that Talia, Morris and Austin can handle the Richmond tall forwards.

I was thinking the same thing today, we need someone who can take a grab and contest and Jones just isn't able to do it all himself at the moment. Roughead can then chop out some minutes in the ruck too.

For mine:-

Ins - Hunter, Austin
Outs - Addison, Markovic

Picken lucky to survive mainly because I'm not sure we can play Hrovat along with Hunter as the younger blokes aren't ready to run out a high percentage of game time yet. He might be needed on Deledio this coming week too assuming Lower goes to Cotchin.

Rocco Jones
16-06-2013, 09:19 PM
I don't want to bag Markovic because he has a good attitude and seems like a good bloke but he simply cannot play again. Long term he offers nothing and short term he isn't good enough anyway. He runs as if he is perpetually doing his hammy. Just offers nothing.

I really don't want to move Roughy from the backline but for the greater good of the side, I think he must play in the 2nd ruck/switch forward/back role. We just have no one else to play 2nd ruck and he will help Jones/Stringer.

Hunter is a must. We are pretty uninspiring up forward and he is the opposite.

Picken really is struggling. I don't want us to drop him but I am not sure what role he can fill with Lower in the side. Not too sure about Crossy too but think he offers us more. Like Austin, mostly about filling the 22.

In/ Hunter, Austin, Cross
Out/ Addison, Markovic, Picken

F'scary
16-06-2013, 09:38 PM
I have a simple suggestion.

STOP KICKING THE F'N BALL BACKWARDS.

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-06-2013, 09:45 PM
This is a hard one.

In - Cross, Hunter and Austin
Out - Addison, Picken and Markovic

Picken needs a week of getting a bit of the ball at Williamstown. Dahlhaus lucky to survive.

We might just get away with playing Roughead forward this week with Morris going on to Riewolt. Lower could go to Cotchin with Picken taking either Deledio or Martin.
Hunter could add some spark to an ordinary attack. Markovic and Addison were clearly out of their depth today and I would see them being replaced by Cross and Hunter in the only two changes.

F'scary
16-06-2013, 09:52 PM
I don't want to bag Markovic because he has a good attitude and seems like a good bloke but he simply cannot play again.

I too do not want to bag Markovic. By that I mean, if I were at the supermarket self-checkout and he was in the basket, I would not want to bag him.

F'scary
16-06-2013, 10:02 PM
With Boyd, I have a solution to his turnover merchant problem.

If you analyse it, whenever he is trying to kick the ball to one of his team mates, he kicks it to an opposition player.

Solution is simple. He should try to kick to the opposition.

always right
16-06-2013, 10:32 PM
In:
Hrovat
Hunter
Austin

Out:
Cooney
Addison
Markovic

LostDoggy
16-06-2013, 10:37 PM
I have a simple suggestion.

STOP KICKING THE F'N BALL BACKWARDS.

I have a simpler suggestion

KICK THE BALL TO A TEAM MATE, NOT TO THE F'N OPPOSITION

Out Boyd, Addison, Marco

In Hunter, Hrovat, Wallis

We have no tall forwards so stock the forward line with mid forwards and try to outrun the ruddy tigers..

Cooney Griffin Hunter
Dahlhaus Stringer Murphy

F'scary
16-06-2013, 10:45 PM
I have a simpler suggestion

KICK THE BALL TO A TEAM MATE, NOT TO THE F'N OPPOSITION

Out Boyd, Addison, Marco

In Hunter, Hrovat, Wallis

We have no tall forwards so stock the forward line with mid forwards and try to outrun the ruddy tigers..

Cooney Griffin Hunter
Dahlhaus Stringer Murphy

If we combine our two suggestions on kicking, we would improve about 200% on today's effort.

Big call on Boyd, but I am picking up on this forum that he played a shocker even though he got the ball a lot.

(I turned the radio off in the 2nd quarter. It was too much to bear).

bornadog
16-06-2013, 11:34 PM
In:
Hrovat
Hunter
Austin

Out:
Cooney
Addison
Markovic

Why drop Cooney?

bornadog
16-06-2013, 11:36 PM
Out: Addison, Markovic

In: Hrovat, Hunter

We don't need another tall. Jones can be 2nd Ruck, backline is tall enough.

I would even consider bringing in Grant or Dickson, depending on their game today and dropping Picken.

GVGjr
16-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Why drop Cooney?

I wouldn't drop him but he was poor today.

GVGjr
16-06-2013, 11:38 PM
I would even consider bringing in Grant or Dickson, depending on their game today and dropping Picken.
Dickson will be in the mix not so sure about Grant unless they want to give him another chance to impress.

LostDoggy
16-06-2013, 11:38 PM
I would really like to see Cross back in the team just for a week or two. No one else will probably agree but I'm sick of seeing young players who drop off, they simply don't chase or create an option for 15 minute periods of games. Bring in the bloke who will teach them a thing or two about work rate, and put the young guys on notice, if you don't wanna run all day, you won't be playing afl football for a while.

bornadog
16-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Dickson will be in the mix not so sure about Grant unless they want to give him another chance to impress.

That would be my reasoning. I know he really hasn't earnt it, but some players (and he is one of them), just perform better at senior level. All we need him to do is kick two or three goals and apply some forward pressure.

GVGjr
16-06-2013, 11:47 PM
That would be my reasoning. I know he really hasn't earnt it, but some players (and he is one of them), just perform better at senior level. All we need him to do is kick two or three goals and apply some forward pressure.

Laconic guys with ability like Grant that always seem to appear to be half arsed on the ground and the training track really irritate me. He has the talent but doesn't appear to want it badly enough. I know Macca cops some heat for his 'cracking in' catch phrase but I've had enough of the likes of Everitt, Hill and Grant with their laconic approach to the game.

I think Grant will try harder in the seniors but should we be rewarding him?

bornadog
16-06-2013, 11:49 PM
Laconic guys with ability like Grant that always seem to appear to be half arsed on the ground and the training track really irritate me. He has the talent but doesn't appear to want it badly enough. I know Macca cops some heat for his 'cracking in' catch phrase but I've had enough of the likes of Everitt, Hill and Grant with their laconic approach to the game.

I think Grant will try harder in the seniors but should we be rewarding him?

Is he laconic at training? I have only been once this year and I think he was injured so haven't seen him.

GVGjr
16-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Is he laconic at training? I have only been once this year and I think he was injured so haven't seen him.

He was in previous years. His body language coming off the ground isn't great either.

bornadog
16-06-2013, 11:57 PM
He was in previous years. His body language coming off the ground isn't great either.

You know his body language is like that. That is his natural self. I saw him in the lift with Dickson at a function early this year and his body language is naturally laid back.

In any case, why didn't we delist him last year? Macca must see something in him and therefore we need to see if he can perform.

lemmon
17-06-2013, 12:00 AM
You know his body language is like that. That is his natural self. I saw him in the lift with Dickson at a function early this year and his body language is naturally laid back.

In any case, why didn't we delist him last year? Macca must see something in him and therefore we need to see if he can perform.

Perhaps he was still under contract?

GVGjr
17-06-2013, 12:02 AM

His contract was probably the stumbling block and given we moved a lot of players on since Macca arrived there is only so much you can do.

I get that he is laconic but so is Murphy.

Happy Days
17-06-2013, 01:30 AM

I don't like the implication here.

LostDoggy
17-06-2013, 01:33 AM
His contract was probably the stumbling block and given we moved a lot of players on since Macca arrived there is only so much you can do.

The problem with players with laconic personalities is it's really hard to know where they are at and how hard they are working because they always look like that....
Frustrating for fans and viewers when they're athletes at a professional level.
Le sigh.

Remi Moses
17-06-2013, 02:26 AM
How big was the Pies forward line today?

It was Cloke and Lynch.
Heavy reliance on Cloke, but I just think we don't have the secondary option.
Cordy inj Markovic useless Roberts inj Williams inj Grant no work ethic

Eastdog
17-06-2013, 02:37 AM
It was Cloke and Lynch.
Heavy reliance on Cloke, but I just think we don't have the secondary option.
Cordy inj Markovic useless Roberts inj Williams inj Grant no work ethic

Why haven't we seen Grant more in the senior team. You would think that is the best way to prove himself and to see if he is up to it.

AndrewP6
17-06-2013, 02:39 AM
Why haven't we seen Grant more in the senior team. You would think that is the best way to prove himself and to see if he is up to it.

Ever watched him play? That's why. McCartney likes a certain type of player, and one with the intensity of Rip Van Winkle isn't it.

Eastdog
17-06-2013, 03:35 AM
Ever watched him play? That's why. McCartney likes a certain type of player, and one with the intensity of Rip Van Winkle isn't it.

When do you see him get called up to the seniors again?

GVGjr
17-06-2013, 06:26 AM
I don't like the implication here.

Murphy is laconic by nature and very laid back but once he is on the field he focuses on the job at hand.

bornadog
17-06-2013, 08:38 AM
The problem with players with laconic personalities is it's really hard to know where they are at and how hard they are working because they always look like that....
Frustrating for fans and viewers when they're athletes at a professional level.
Le sigh.

Not only frustrating for fans but coaches too.

AndrewP6
17-06-2013, 09:35 AM
When do you see him get called up to the seniors again?

When he gets sent to another team maybe. I think he's finished at the Bulldogs.

Mofra
17-06-2013, 09:58 AM
I would really like to see Cross back in the team just for a week or two. No one else will probably agree but I'm sick of seeing young players who drop off, they simply don't chase or create an option for 15 minute periods of games
A guy who is good overhead for his size and runs all day?
I think he's finished as a midfielder but as a hard running high forward he offers us something. Addison must be on thin ice, they can play similar positions.

He wont get separation from his opponent but will be vaulable in red time when he works his opponent into submission.

Ozza
17-06-2013, 10:10 AM
I think the calls for Addison to get dropped are harsh.

He was one of our best and kicked 4 goals 2 matches ago against St.Kilda.

Also surprised that Dahlhaus has been suggested as to be on teh chopping block. Earlier in the season he was in poor form - but I think he has been a lot better recently. Didn't set the house on fire yesterday - but was at least lively and his pressure was good.

always right
17-06-2013, 10:38 AM

Also surprised that Dahlhaus has been suggested as to be on teh chopping block. Earlier in the season he was in poor form - but I think he has been a lot better recently. Didn't set the house on fire yesterday - but was at least lively and his pressure was good.

Calls for Dahlhaus to be dropped are rediculous TBH. His work rate is still high and he oftern creates opportunities for other players that don't necessarily get captured by everyone's beloved statistics. In a team that is crying out for more pace, Dahlhaus should only be dropped if his work rate drops away. His form whilst not outstanding, is well ahead of several others at the moment.

bornadog
17-06-2013, 12:21 PM

Addison is not up to AFL standard. His one weapon is hard at the ball and that is it.

He had 5 disposals for the match and three tackles while Shaw and others ran riot.

Ditto Markovic.

Eastdog
17-06-2013, 12:28 PM
When he gets sent to another team maybe. I think he's finished at the Bulldogs.

So much hope I thought when he had that breakout 6 goal match. How many times has he been in the bests for Williamstown this year?

G-Mo77
17-06-2013, 12:33 PM
My wife who knows very little about football but is still a sport and comes along when she gets a chance. Her assessments were pretty much spot on.

"That number #22 is hopeless"
"Who is #37? Why is he in the team?"
"Cooney has been hopeless today" (Comment made many times)

Pretty accurate IMO.

always right
17-06-2013, 02:36 PM
My wife who knows very little about football but is still a sport and comes along when she gets a chance. Her assessments were pretty much spot on.

"That number #22 is hopeless"
"Who is #37? Why is he in the team?"
"Cooney has been hopeless today" (Comment made many times)

Pretty accurate IMO.

Two instances in yesterday's game stand out to me;

1. Contest in their forward pocket near the boundary line in the first quarter. Cooney is in the best position to get the ball or at least force it out of bounds. Swan manages to get the ball, run away from Cooney and deliver the ball to a Collingwood forward. The simple reason is Swan wanted it more.

2. Contest in third quarter where ball is kicked into open space on the wing. O'Brien not only beats Cooney to the ball in a footrace but proceeds to gather the ball, turn and run away with it. Cooney didn't even bother chasing.

Yesterday he played like an old man with retirement just round the corner. So disappointing considering he's shown some Cooney of old moments this year.

bornadog
17-06-2013, 03:13 PM

1. Contest in their forward pocket near the boundary line in the first quarter. Cooney is in the best position to get the ball or at least force it out of bounds. Swan manages to get the ball, run away from Cooney and deliver the ball to a Collingwood forward. The simple reason is Swan wanted it more.

2. Contest in third quarter where ball is kicked into open space on the wing. O'Brien not only beats Cooney to the ball in a footrace but proceeds to gather the ball, turn and run away with it. Cooney didn't even bother chasing.

Yesterday he played like an old man with retirement just round the corner. So disappointing considering he's shown some Cooney of old moments this year.

Perhaps he didn't have confidence in his body and hammy?

always right
17-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Perhaps he didn't have confidence in his body and hammy?

Then don't put yourself up for selection.

Ozza
17-06-2013, 04:29 PM

I'm going to take issue with the first one only there. Cooney wore the flack from teh commentators - but it was Boyd who was in the initial contest, and after the ball came to ground, Swan kept running, while Boyd assumed Cooney would get the footy - didn't shepherd, didn't keep competing - but rather peeled off thinking he'd get the footy back from a Cooney handball.

Cooney was entitled to think that Boyd - who was in the initial contest - would be putting a body on Swan to support him/block for him.

always right
17-06-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm going to take issue with the first one only there. Cooney wore the flack from teh commentators - but it was Boyd who was in the initial contest, and after the ball came to ground, Swan kept running, while Boyd assumed Cooney would get the footy - didn't shepherd, didn't keep competing - but rather peeled off thinking he'd get the footy back from a Cooney handball.

Cooney was entitled to think that Boyd - who was in the initial contest - would be putting a body on Swan to support him/block for him.

Boyd carries some culpability but Cooney's effort was half hearted....whch unfortunately typified his game yesterday.

lemmon
17-06-2013, 04:56 PM
Culpability aside its an indictment that we're talking about it from two of our senior, most well credentialed players

SlimPickens
17-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Culpability aside its an indictment that we're talking about it from two of our senior, most well credentialed players

Spot on.

I've been critical of Boyd for a number of years and was shocked when he was made captain. IMO he is our most selfish player, who simply does not offer his team mates nearly enough support.

always right
17-06-2013, 05:32 PM

Agree. I just think no-one miises Boyd when it comes to criticism but Cooney tends to go under the radar....probably because there's some sympathy for his predicament with the degenerative knee issue.

bornadog
17-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Agree. I just think no-one miises Boyd when it comes to criticism but Cooney tends to go under the radar....probably because there's some sympathy for his predicament with the degenerative knee issue.

Agree he had a bad game, but why the hell did Macca persist in playing him as a loose man in the backline. This I did not agree with.

lemmon
17-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Agree he had a bad game, but why the hell did Macca persist in playing him as a loose man in the backline. This I did not agree with.

Worked against the lions

bulldogtragic
17-06-2013, 05:54 PM
There are a lot of things that BMac does that raises a lot of questions. His strength is apparently teaching, which is a quality in an assistant. I'm not sure he is excelling in enough head coach duties like game day tactics. He seems to get out coached too often for my liking. I don't see him as anywhere near the tactician that Eade was.

always right
17-06-2013, 06:00 PM
How does being played out of position translate to lack of effort?

SlimPickens
17-06-2013, 06:06 PM

Cracking the shits?

bulldogtragic
17-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Ask Chris Yarran.

always right
17-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Well perhaps he needs to follow Yarran down to the VFL if there's any credence in the theory that he's cracked the sads.

FrediKanoute
17-06-2013, 10:16 PM
In:

Grant - don't care if he is laconic/lazy etc, the guy has talent and in a forward line bereft of talent he is worth his spot. Offers more then Marco as a forward and about the same on the defensive side.

Hunter - have to reward good performances at Willy.

Out:

Marcov - see above

Addison - gets a free pass from some here, put simply the variance between his good and his bad is miles apart and too often he brings an F grade game to the table. Is no youngster and he should be more consistent by now.

Calls for Boyd, Cooney, Dahlhaus to be dropped are an over reaction borne from frustration. Based on the first half, we could drop 18 of the 22 guys who played (Minson, Gia, Murphy and Griffin being safe). The fact is with the kids we have we are going to be inconsistent and the game on Sunday was a game to 2 halves, where we wont he second half.

1eyedog
17-06-2013, 10:44 PM
All of the above but I'd bring in Dickson for Picken as well.

We need some scoreboard pressure.

LostDoggy
17-06-2013, 11:19 PM
All of the above but I'd bring in Dickson for Picken as well.

We need some scoreboard pressure.

Picken has owned Deledio, IIRC there was uproar on BMac's lack of tactical nouse in not playing Picken on Lids last time.

Out - Markovic, Cooney

In - Hunter, Hrovat

I would not be putting Grant in, he hasn't earned it. Addison was great against the Saints shouldn't be dropped. Cooney out, he doesn't look right, give his knee a rest.

See little point putting Austin in for Marko - as neither is any good.

Morris and Roughead should be able to handle Tiges forward line. Lower to tag Cotchin or Martin. Picken to Lids.

bornadog
17-06-2013, 11:42 PM
Out - Markovic, Cooney

In - Hunter, Hrovat

I would not be putting Grant in, he hasn't earned it. Addison was great against the Saints shouldn't be dropped. Cooney out, he doesn't look right, give his knee a rest.

Morris and Roughead should be able to handle Tiges forward line. Lower to tag Cotchin or Martin. Picken to Lids.

Are you joking about Cooney having a rest due to his knee. :confused: He has just had three weeks off.

As for Addison, 5 disposals in a game is just not good enough, at least Cooney had the ball 30 times

jeemak
18-06-2013, 02:11 AM

These instances were pretty disappointing for me at the ground. He really did look like a player not willing to spring off a step or run as hard as he could coming off a hamstring injury.

With that in mind, I think he'll be better this week after a run. As someone that's come back from numerous hamstring injuries (albeit in much lower grades, though without the rehab these guys get) I can completely understand why he might have looked sluggish and disinterested, to be honest. There's nothing worse than coming back from that injury and playing in a side across half back against players quicker or just as quick when you're tentative.

You have to remember Cooney hasn't had to deal with hammy issues through his career, and he's at this stage trying to keep his knee in check. To this point, he's done a pretty good job of managing his knee, and I think he should get some slack when it comes to managing his hammy.

From the three quarters I saw I'll nominate:

Out - Picken, Markovic
In - I really don't know

Greystache
18-06-2013, 02:19 AM
Out- Markovic, Picken

In- Hrovat, Hunter

Markovic didn't have an impact and Jones might be better for the release a few minutes in the ruck each quarter offers. Picken is really battling so far this year. Hrovat was rested this week and returns, and Hunter has smashed the door down like few first year players have done.

Remi Moses
18-06-2013, 05:13 AM
Out- Markovic, Picken

In- Hrovat, Hunter

Markovic didn't have an impact and Jones might be better for the release a few minutes in the ruck each quarter offers. Picken is really battling so far this year. Hrovat was rested this week and returns, and Hunter has smashed the door down like few first year players have done.

I tend to agree. Good way to get Liam in the game a bit .

soupman
18-06-2013, 08:50 AM
If Picken plays he has to play on Deledio, and at the very least not up forward.

I dont think he is worth playing as a defensive forward. His match on the weekend exposed his lack of forward nous, and he didnt have the defensive impact there to justify his spot, thus was subbed at halftime.

He doesnt have any attributes that would make him a good forward, so if he fails on Deledio on the weekend he has to play on one of their small forwards or get the red vest again. Addison up forward at least has the ability to crash packs and mark on the lead like an inferior Hahn.

1eyedog
18-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Picken has owned Deledio, IIRC there was uproar on BMac's lack of tactical nouse in not playing Picken on Lids last time.

Out - Markovic, Cooney

In - Hunter, Hrovat

Doesn't mean he will again and he is terribly out of form. As for not deserving a run Picken is well and truly at that stage now.

You can't keep an out of form player in the side just becasue they 'might' be able to stop an opposition player just the same as you probably can't bring in a forward (e.g. Grant, Dickson), just becasue they 'might' kick a few goals. However, in saying that the potential output of Dickson and Grant in terms of their ability to hit the scoreboard gets one/both of them over the line at the expense of Picken when I look at what Picken has contributed over the past 6 weeks.

You're Cooney out is very strange.

The Pie Man
18-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Out- Markovic, Picken

In- Hrovat, Hunter

I agree with your changes and comments - I feel Jones needs to add 2nd ruck to his repertoire or see his currency slide

bornadog
18-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Out- Markovic, Picken

In- Hrovat, Hunter

I would look at dropping Addison as well. He was very Poor against Port and ridiculously poor versus the Pies.

I would even consider Dickson coming in even though he has only had one game at VFL level.

always right
18-06-2013, 12:27 PM
I would look at dropping Addison as well. He was very Poor against Port and ridiculously poor versus the Pies.

I would even consider Dickson coming in even though he has only had one game at VFL level.

I've seen nothing in Dickson that justifies an automatic inclusion. Sure he tackles well and he is strong in the contest but so is Addison. He's not a great mark, doesn't have breakaway speed and is an average kick for goal. What does he actually bring to the team?

always right
18-06-2013, 12:29 PM
You're Cooney out is very strange.

Why is it strange? Many have suggested that Cooney's poor performance on the weekend may have been due to the fact his body wasn't right. Poor effort or insufficient fitness...either way he should be in the firing line.

Mofra
18-06-2013, 12:35 PM
There are a lot of things that BMac does that raises a lot of questions. His strength is apparently teaching, which is a quality in an assistant. I'm not sure he is excelling in enough head coach duties like game day tactics. He seems to get out coached too often for my liking. I don't see him as anywhere near the tactician that Eade was.
We improved significantly after half time, as we did pre-bye against Port Adelaide.
Surely he can't be that bad a match day coach?

Mofra
18-06-2013, 12:38 PM
I've seen nothing in Dickson that justifies an automatic inclusion. Sure he tackles well and he is strong in the contest but so is Addison. He's not a great mark, doesn't have breakaway speed and is an average kick for goal. What does he actually bring to the team?
?

Dickson is the best kick for goal on our list, with the exception of perhaps Stringer.
Kicked 23 goals 9 last year - most forwards would kill for that kind of conversion ratio. Averaging near on 4 tackles as well.

He was second in our goalkicking last year in his debut season of AFL - I expect him to be back int he side once he regains match fitness.

bornadog
18-06-2013, 12:42 PM

He brings an ability to kick goals, one of our leading goal kickers from last year. Addison doesn't even tackle, he had 2 against Port and 3 against the Pies while their backman ran riot.

bornadog
18-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Why is it strange? Many have suggested that Cooney's poor performance on the weekend may have been due to the fact his body wasn't right. Poor effort or insufficient fitness...either way he should be in the firing line.

but surely he shouldn't be dropped???

LostDoggy
18-06-2013, 01:44 PM

I don't think Cooney has the mindset to play in the backline. Better for him to be a permanent forward to atleast spread defenders. His disposal was terrible out of the backline on Sunday. Murphy to play backline to help distribute off half back.

We can't play all of Lower, Smith, Boyd and Picken in the same team. Collingwood just killed us on turnovers so need better and more reliable footskills in our team.

Picken move forward on Deledio and should be put on last chance to find form. Carrying too many one dimensional players is killing us and the team's general confidence going forward.

Lower seems to have gone under the radar also and thought he was poor on Pendlebury (was he tagging all game?) and would want a strong performance on Cotchin.

Out: Markovic, Addison, Smith
In: Hunter, Hrovat and Dickson

We really need Prudden and Cordy to develop for us to get any better in the short-term. We desperately need another long bomb target and another defender who can break the lines.

bornadog
18-06-2013, 01:58 PM
Murphy to play backline to help distribute off half back.

I don't like that move. Recently Murphy was rated number one in the AFL for delivery into the forward 50.

always right
18-06-2013, 02:07 PM

If his body isn't right and his effort is unacceptable....why not?

I'm a Cooney fan and we are a better side with him up and running but why should he not come under scrutiny like everyone else? If that had been Higgins or Gia on Sunday, this board would have gone into meltdown.

always right
18-06-2013, 02:09 PM
I don't like that move. Recently Murphy was rated number one in the AFL for delivery into the forward 50.

Agree completely. Our forward line is bereft of creativity and Murphy is far and away our most dangerous forward.

bornadog
18-06-2013, 02:12 PM
If his body isn't right and his effort is unacceptable....why not?

I'm a Cooney fan and we are a better side with him up and running but why should he not come under scrutiny like everyone else? If that had been Higgins or Gia on Sunday, this board would have gone into meltdown.

I am not saying he shouldn't come under scrutiny, what I am saying is he shouldn't be dropped.

What is unacceptable is the efforts from Marko, Addison and Picken.

always right
18-06-2013, 02:12 PM
?

Dickson is the best kick for goal on our list, with the exception of perhaps Stringer.
Kicked 23 goals 9 last year - most forwards would kill for that kind of conversion ratio. Averaging near on 4 tackles as well.

He was second in our goalkicking last year in his debut season of AFL - I expect him to be back int he side once he regains match fitness.

Perception versus statistics:) My perception is that he is a solid kick for goal within 30 metres but not convincing outside that distance. I think his kicking lacks penetration but if he gets all of his posessions within 30 metres he will be a gun:D

LostDoggy
18-06-2013, 02:24 PM

Is that when he has been playing back or forward? Just because he is playing backline doesn't mean he can't link up play and deliver into forward 50. We'll see this first-hand on Saturday when Deledio tears us a new one if we don't lock him down.

I feel as though our most creative players should be played behind the ball. You could tell Collingwood just sat back when we got the ball confident that no-one could spot up an attacking pass without turning it over. As much as I like Morris, Roughead and Talia they aren't the types to break lines or create scoring opportunities.

JJ and Griffen were the only ones able to do this consistently and I think need some more support

Greystache
18-06-2013, 02:51 PM

25.10 is average?

If that's the case I wish we had a list full of average kicks for goal!

1eyedog
18-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Dickson brings goals because he has very good positioning, that's all he needs to do.

He needs the run and has them on the board. He's dynamic and kicks goals, something we really need. Up until he did his hammy his form was good, unlike others in the team who should definately be in the firing line.

robb
19-06-2013, 03:35 PM
In: Hunter, Wallis, Hrovat

Out: Addison, Markovic and one of Picken or Lower (Can't have both)

Cooney and Boyd will be better for the run after having a month off.

One game in VFL for Dickson.

Jones / Roughhead to pinch hit in the ruck.

The Pie Man
20-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Hunter confirmed to debut from this morning's presser.

KT31
20-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Happy with that, IMO it will be Picken out as Lower offers more.
Asked in another past will Hunter start or sub ?

always right
20-06-2013, 04:33 PM
Happy with that, IMO it will be Picken out as Lower offers more.
Asked in another past will Hunter start or sub ?

He has to start....Gia is our (not so) secret weapon substitute.

bornadog
20-06-2013, 08:03 PM
wow Marko gets a reprieve. :eek:

In: Hunter and Hrovat

Out: Addison and Stevens (shoulder)

whythelongface
20-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Surprised that Markovich is still in the team.

Has Grant been named as an emergency?

Four first year players in the team. I can't remember the last time this occurred, if ever.

LostDoggy
20-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Hope Wallis is very clear on the areas he needs to address. I agree with giving him time in the twos but its vaguely feeling like he may have run over Maccas cat? Having said that he didn't shine in the same way Hunter did this week. Hunter earned this spot.

LostDoggy
20-06-2013, 08:57 PM

Four first year players in the team. I can't remember the last time this occurred, if ever.

No way they could play Grant based on his Willy game. If you are looking to promote him because of the 6 goal game two years ago you'll be disappointed. I don't know where it all went wrong but he is not AFL caliber this year.

whythelongface
20-06-2013, 09:02 PM
No way they could play Grant based on his Willy game. If you are looking to promote him because of the 6 goal game two years ago you'll be disappointed. .

Where did I state that I wanted to promote Grant (and based on a game two years ago)?

My question was simply if he had been named as an emergency? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Just read that Wallis, Addison and Grant have been named as emergencies

bulldogsfight
20-06-2013, 09:13 PM
:eek:

RD 1 1951 - Whitten Box Willis & Kent played their first game

RD 1 1983 - Wallis Royal J Taylor Purser Williams Sewell played first game together withh from other teams Lunn Hansen Kellet

and dont start me on Rd 1 1925:eek:

bulldogsfight
20-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Markovic or J Grant "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Crab Juice or Mountain Dew"

" Crab Juice ! "

I mean J grant

Dry Rot
20-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Addison unlucky?

bulldogtragic
20-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Where did I state that I wanted to promote Grant (and based on a game two years ago)?

My question was simply if he had been named as an emergency? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Grant an emergency. Obviously BMac I trying to hold out a carrot.

bornadog
20-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Addison unlucky?

Total of 14 disposals in two games.

LostDoggy
20-06-2013, 11:31 PM

Fair enough - no offence intended. I'm more commenting on what I've seen at Willy the last two times I've seen him loping around. Lets hope he surprises himself and gets back in the team. Lord knows we could use the good version of him out there... FWIW I did see Grant and Stringer work well together the day Stringer kicked 5 at Willy but it was more Stringer feeding him so.....:(

Remi Moses
21-06-2013, 01:51 AM
Surprised Markovic kept his spot . Dylan Addison might be on thin ice at years end .

jeemak
21-06-2013, 02:02 AM
Fair enough - no offence intended. I'm more commenting on what I've seen at Willy the last two times I've seen him loping around. Lets hope he surprises himself and gets back in the team. Lord knows we could use the good version of him out there... FWIW I did see Grant and Stringer work well together the day Stringer kicked 5 at Willy but it was more Stringer feeding him so.....:(

I've noticed you've been pretty scathing of Grant since the Willi game on the weekend, and you used an example of Austin trying to direct Grant towards certain positioning that Grant didn't take much notice of, as one of your points in demonstrating Grant's poor attitude.

What about that exchange actually made you think Grant was in the wrong, or that Austin was in a position of authority?

Not having a go, just interested in how (without any inside knowledge, or without the first hand experience from being at the game on my part) you concluded that Austin should have been in a position of authority in that example?

Agree the good version of Grant is exactly what we need, and hopefully in the second half of the season he can show what he can do.

LostDoggy
21-06-2013, 06:04 PM
I've noticed you've been pretty scathing of Grant since the Willi game on the weekend, and you used an example of Austin trying to direct Grant towards certain positioning that Grant didn't take much notice of, as one of your points in demonstrating Grant's poor attitude.

What about that exchange actually made you think Grant was in the wrong, or that Austin was in a position of authority?

Not having a go, just interested in how (without any inside knowledge, or without the first hand experience from being at the game on my part) you concluded that Austin should have been in a position of authority in that example?

Agree the good version of Grant is exactly what we need, and hopefully in the second half of the season he can show what he can do.

The specific example wasn't about who was the captain of the backline as I couldn't comment on that. He was advising Grant to do something that even my limited strategic knowledge could see was common sense. Even if Grant felt differently I'd be kind of cool with him suggesting otherwise but surely you talk to your team mate at that point? Let him know what you are going to do instead? To mine that's what you do as a team on the field - talk together, work together. Grant heard him, looked at him, and wandered off without a word. I couldn't pretend to know how/why because it was just bizarre.

I agree I've been particularly irritable about Grant on this forum - probably because willy games have suited me well this year and I've been to several. There have been some awesome highlights with our kids out there this year and who doesn't enjoy footy with the ocean as a back drop - just a great day out. Grant is just such a damn enigma and it feels like he has consistently withdrawn and gone further into his own little world. I couldn't coach him, it would drive me nuts. I guess I also mentioned that 6 goal game because it was so exciting. It just seemed like it would be a catalyst. It wasn't :(

Hopefully he gets promoted and kicks another 6 out of nowhere but I'd love to win lotto too. Stringer will have to do it instead!