PDA

View Full Version : Where is Liam Picken at?

LostDoggy
16-06-2013, 11:54 PM
following up on the Matty Boyd thread, I believe Picken has some serious questions around he's place in the side.

Previous years he has been first picked, love he's attitude and desperation. But he just doesn't offer us anything anymore.

Pickens best, and arguabley only quality attribute, is he's tagging ability. Ability to shut a gun midfielder out of the game. With the way the game is now played, most gun midielders are tall, big bodied and spending alot of time forward (Swan, Pendles, Kennedy, Cotchin, Watson, Dangerfield, Ablett ect)

When a player like Picken goes to any of the above players, they will just take him forward and Picken one out with any of the above in the forward 50 is not ideal.

I'm assuming that's the main reason Lower is now the preferred option.

I would prefer to play Tutt at this stage. Tutt atleast has some composure and can kick the football.

GVGjr
16-06-2013, 11:59 PM
Good point Jaytee.

Unless they move Lower to the HBF allowing Picken to play the tagging role I think his next best spot is as a defensive forward.

Just doesn't seem to be an effective defender for some reason.

MrMahatma
17-06-2013, 12:12 AM
He is fortunate we have 0 depth. If any of the smaller defenders on our list were half decent he'd be in the 2s.

The Underdog
17-06-2013, 12:29 AM
He is fortunate we have 0 depth. If any of the smaller defenders on our list were half decent he'd be in the 2s.

I think he might find himself there next week regardless.

lemmon
17-06-2013, 02:17 AM
Just looking at his stats and was surprised to see hes only two games away from the hundred...it's flown by

Dry Rot
17-06-2013, 03:32 AM
Good point Jaytee.

Unless they move Lower to the HBF allowing Picken to play the tagging role I think his next best spot is as a defensive forward.

Yep, IMO Addison and Picken are fighting for the same spot up forward. And maybe Dickson too when he returns.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Realistically, Picken should not be in the side. He isn't good enough.

However, because we are so bereft of options, it's unlikely he'll be dropped this season.

I've said it previously but he really is on borrowed time, and unless he makes a fist out of a defensive forward, I see a quick demise if we're brave enough to pull the trigger. His decision making coupled with his disposal is atrocious.

FrediKanoute
17-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Play him as a defensive forward or as an onballer. He's not a backman.

bulldogtragic
17-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Make him co-captain :)

jeemak
18-06-2013, 12:22 AM
I've been sceptical on Picken's ability since he entered the side in 2009, though I've been pleasantly surprised to see him play excellent tagging roles for our club since that time and put his body on the line time and time again.

Apart from being a tagger however, Picken doesn't offer enough and if he isn't going to play as a tagger he should not be in the side.

I appreciate that he gives his all to the point of it almost being dangerous sometimes, and I appreciate many other more skilled candidates don't try as hard as that, and if that was the key criteria for getting a game he'd get a game every week. But it isn't, and he shouldn't.

He can't be carried now that Lower is in the side.

soupman
18-06-2013, 08:53 AM
As I've said in the match commitee thread:

If Picken plays he has to play on Deledio, and at the very least not up forward.

I dont think he is worth playing as a defensive forward. His match on the weekend exposed his lack of forward nous, and he didnt have the defensive impact there to justify his spot, thus was subbed at halftime.

He doesnt have any attributes that would make him a good forward, so if he fails on Deledio on the weekend he has to play on one of their small forwards or get the red vest again. Addison up forward at least has the ability to crash packs and mark on the lead like an inferior Hahn.

I like Picken and I think you'll have a hard time finding a Bulldogs supporter who doesn't, but he has very quickly gone from being one of the first picked to someone who if he doesn't reinvent himself as something other than a gun midfielders second skin could find himself very quickly playing out his career in the VFL.

Dancin' Douggy
18-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Hard to argue with this thread. Trade him to Collingwood?

LostDoggy
18-06-2013, 11:45 AM
His hyperactive attempts at the ball, ending in going to the ground have cost us possession many times this year.

Earlier in the season i thought he may have been able to be reinvented as a forward pocket. However i think the game has borderline gone past him.

He's a Lower backup at best.

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Good point Jaytee.

Just doesn't seem to be an effective defender for some reason.

Bringing Lower in as our number one tagger has reduced Picken's effectiveness. I still believe that with Cross gone we still need Picken's experience and hardness at the ball.
He could be used well this week to tag Deledio with Lower going to Cotchin. We need to be careful that we do notcast aside too many of our more mature players given the number of young players in the line up.

Mofra
18-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Earlier in the season i thought he may have been able to be reinvented as a forward pocket.
Ditto, and not very confident it will happen now.

He either plays as a defensive forward (I prefer not to play any), a small defender (which seems a makeshift option) or a tagger, which means we have to play either Lower or Picken, not both.

bornadog
18-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Bringing Lower in as our number one tagger has reduced Picken's effectiveness. I still believe that with Cross gone we still need Picken's experience and hardness at the ball.
He could be used well this week to tag Deledio with Lower going to Cotchin. We need to be careful that we do notcast aside too many of our more mature players given the number of young players in the line up.

We should have had Picken on Deledio earlier this year, big mistake by the MC.

always right
18-06-2013, 02:16 PM
We should have had Picken on Deledio earlier this year, big mistake by the MC.

And after the pasting Sanderson copped this week for not tagging Deledio, you can bet Macca won't make the same mistake. The only question is who will play on him...Picken, Addison...or perhaps Smith? I like the idea of Smith monstering Deledio every time he gathers the ball.

OLD SCRAGGer
18-06-2013, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't be so hard on Picko, poor bugger is going through a tough time with is Baby girls in hospital since their birth. He has been going to hospital every day, so it must be mentally draining on him & his partner. I'll cut him a bit of slack at this time, he at least deserves that much.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2013, 05:44 PM
I think Liam's issues predominantly lie with the coach. It can b very difficult to play well when you are played out of position most weeks.

always right
18-06-2013, 06:16 PM
I think Liam's issues predominantly lie with the coach. It can b very difficult to play well when you are played out of position most weeks.

If you are saying the only position he can play is a tagging role......then his career is on the skids. He's been given opportunities as a defender and as a defensive forward and received far from glowing reviews from supporters for his performance in either of those positions. How do his issues lie with the coach?

GVGjr
18-06-2013, 07:13 PM

You have convinced me. I'd keep him in this week as well.

Dancin' Douggy
18-06-2013, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't be so hard on Picko, poor bugger is going through a tough time with is Baby girls in hospital since their birth. He has been going to hospital every day, so it must be mentally draining on him & his partner. I'll cut him a bit of slack at this time, he at least deserves that much.

Just goes to show we have no idea what's going in the players private lives.
Good reminder Old Scragger.

westdog54
18-06-2013, 08:55 PM

If you are saying the only position he can play is a tagging role......then his career is on the skids. He's been given opportunities as a defender and as a defensive forward and received far from glowing reviews from supporters for his performance in either of those positions. How do his issues lie with the coach?

I think in some ways you're both right. Whilst he's a very good defensive player his field kicking isn't great under pressure which reduces his value in the backline, which is odd because I seem to recall he's a beautiful kick of the football when going for goal.

His best position is almost certainly in the forward line IMO but have too many overtaken him? Is he in our best 22 as a forward? TBH I'm not sure he is.

bulldogtragic
22-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Bump. How has another week made you see things.

Rance Fan
22-06-2013, 11:12 PM
He somewhat shut Deledio down
Like Boyd has poor ball skills

stefoid
23-06-2013, 12:58 AM
Im against hard tags - but I like the job Boyd did today where he restricted cotchin pretty effectively and got a truckload of ball himself - the usual clangers, but he was a positive force out there - was involved directly in a fair few scores.

So If Boyd is played defenivsely and Lower the hard tag, then Picken doesnt get back into the midfield.

bornadog
23-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Bump. How has another week made you see things.

Effectively quelled Deledio, although Deledio did get a few possessions in the last, however, his influence on the game was minimal.

lemmon
23-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Will be game 100 against the Dees, congrats young man

LostDoggy
23-06-2013, 10:47 PM
I don't particularly like Lower and Picken in the same team, but if we persevere with it, I'm not really too worried.

bornadog
07-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Should have played on Scully yesterday, ideally suited to run with him.

With JJ out, I bet he slots right back into the back pocket. Macca has him pigeon holed.