PDA

View Full Version : VFL Team Name

bornadog
18-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Link to Vote at Western Bulldogs website (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/membership/vfl-team-name-feedback)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/other/208666-tlsnewslandscape_zps950846ef.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/other/208666-tlsnewslandscape_zps950846ef.jpg.html)

The Western Bulldogs are asking our dedicated members to provide feedback on their preferred name for the Club’s new VFL team which will take to the field in 2014.

Club President, Peter Gordon said a strong case could be made for both names of the VFL team - underpinned by history and the Club’s connection to Melbourne’s Western fringe.

“We want to hear from our members what they think is the best name for our VFL team in 2014 – a team that will see the development of our emerging stars well into the future,” Gordon said.

“I know that to many members Footscray is a name that is close to your hearts – while there is a whole generation that has only known, and will embrace, the Western Bulldogs”.

“Either way – we want to know your views.

“We will take your feedback on board when finalising the name for our VFL team - just like we did when we changed our match day jumper in 2012”.

The Western Bulldogs Board of Directors will consider the feedback and make a final determination on the name of the VFL team next month.

bornadog
18-06-2013, 10:43 AM
I voted Western Bulldogs. As mentioned in the article there is a whole generation that only knows Western Bulldogs as the name of their team. Those born in 1997 are now 16 and are the future, not us old farts with distant memories.

Murphy'sLore
18-06-2013, 10:48 AM
I voted Western Bulldogs too, but I changed my mind four times before I hit send! I can honestly see the arguments for both sides but at the end of the day I voted for consistency of identification. Would be great to see a Western Bulldogs side tearing it up in the VFL and AFL at the same time.

The Pie Man
18-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Going by twitter/facebook feedback, support for the Footscray name in the VFL is overwhelming.

FWIW I also voted for Footscray - I've no interest in changing the name of the AFL side, but feel it makes sense for the VFL side to embrace the history.

LostDoggy
18-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Granted you're ancient Bornadog and don't have long left, but some of us have plenty of seasons left in us.

If all but the post 1997'ers pulled out - 'who are the future' - then the club would be on it's heels big time.

It's a totally different league. There's Willy and Werribee in our area. The Footscray has romance and memories for many of us. The kids can have the Western Bulldogs name, how about those of us who're old enough to remember saving the club have Footscray back, hopefully even at the Whitten Oval.

nagoyadog
18-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Voted Footscray (on the club's website. Can't vote here for some reason). Can't wait to watch footy at the WO again and shout carn Footscray! Don't care about the feelings of " people who have only known WB".

chef
18-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Not fussed either way, but would love to see the name Footscray used again.

Bulldog4life
18-06-2013, 11:56 AM
I voted for Footscray Bulldogs. The younger generation will soon learn that the VFL Footscray Bulldogs are the feeder side to the AFL Western Bulldogs. It is a perfect time to embrace the rich history of our great Club and show the younger members of our Club where the Western Bulldogs originated from.

bornadog
18-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Granted you're ancient Bornadog and don't have long left, but some of us have plenty of seasons left in us.

If all but the post 1997'ers pulled out - 'who are the future' - then the club would be on it's heels big time.

It's a totally different league. There's Willy and Werribee in our area. The Footscray has romance and memories for many of us. The kids can have the Western Bulldogs name, how about those of us who're old enough to remember saving the club have Footscray back, hopefully even at the Whitten Oval.

If you think being in my 50's is ancient, fair enough :D.

I have moved on from the Footscray name, but at the end of the day will follow the team whatever its called, as long as we are never moved or merged.

Daughter of the West
18-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Western Bulldogs for mine. I think it is important to emphasise the link between the VFL and AFL side.

AndrewP6
18-06-2013, 12:38 PM
I voted Western Bulldogs. I think we need to be consistent. I agree there's a lot of history in the Footscray name, I just feel you can't go back. That said, I think the VFL side will take on the Footscray name.

lemmon
18-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Voted Footscray. Would be a fantastic way to remember the past and continue to embrace our history

bulldogsman
18-06-2013, 01:29 PM
I've always known us as the Western Bulldogs, so I voted for that. In the end, it really doesn't bother me what VFL team name is though.

MrMahatma
18-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Footscray.

I don't think the reserves team really will make a difference to the number of supporters we have. Did anything change when we went from Weribee to Willi with alliance? The benefit is in being able to pull the strings which will, in theory, develop players better and more quickly, and make us a stronger club on the field as a result.

So having said that, I don't think the name really matters - so why not give a bit of nostalgia to the old timers who know the Footscray name?

comrade
18-06-2013, 01:45 PM
If the supporters have their way, Footscray will win by the length of the Flemington straight.

I must admit, I like the romance of watching Footscray play competitive football at Whitten Oval.

Twodogs
18-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Footscray easily.

Western Bulldogs is great for our team in the national based comp but Footscray is the name we should be known by in the Victorian based comp. Western Bulldogs is too vanilla a name for a competition that prides itself on being a community based local competition.

My biggest dilemma is do I ditch Port Melbourne and throw my support behind the local club or stick with the Borough?

Go_Dogs
18-06-2013, 02:32 PM
I voted Western Bulldogs. I think we need to be consistent. I agree there's a lot of history in the Footscray name, I just feel you can't go back. That said, I think the VFL side will take on the Footscray name.

I also voted Western Bulldogs and agree with your sentiments. We need to continue to grow our brand which is the Western Bulldogs and whilst I know there is significant emotional attachment with the Footscray name, for mine, we've moved on. A lot of younger supporters would probably not relate to the Footscray name and I guess those such as myself who originate from interstate perhaps don't hold the name as dearly as others.

I also tend to agree we'll ultimately end up using the Footscray name.

Remi Moses
18-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Pure romance I voted for Footscray

LostDoggy
18-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Those who're arguing the 'growing the brand' sentiment. Who exactly are we growing the brand too, that we aren't with a national televised/marketed competition?

Maddog37
18-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Same for me Remi. Footscray just feels right to me. Western is not an identity.

bornadog
18-06-2013, 02:47 PM
My biggest dilemma is do I ditch Port Melbourne and throw my support behind the local club or stick with the Borough?

Do we have to answer that one:p

Eastdog
18-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Those who're arguing the 'growing the brand' sentiment. Who exactly are we growing the brand too, that we aren't with a national televised/marketed competition?

Even with our AFL brand not just to our traditional heartland to gain support but to people outside of the heartland too as I'm sure other clubs have.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Footscray. The WBFC is not going to lose members by having a VFL team not names the same. By that logic being called Werribee or Williamstown as our VFL side has been called is diluting the brand. And that's not true. There needs to be some room for romance, so if it gives 50% of our members a kick than that's a good thing for retaining members and perhaps getting some old FFC die hards back. I can only see positives.

Eastdog
18-06-2013, 03:51 PM
How long is voting open?

lemmon
18-06-2013, 04:35 PM

You will see the light I'm sure ;)

Go_Dogs
18-06-2013, 04:50 PM

Good question. My best answer (without giving it too much thought) would be that it's more readily identifiable that it's our reserves side, utilising our trading name. Media reports, telecasts and the like would refer to the Western Bulldogs reserves side, rather than Footscray etc. I'm willing to concede it isn't an overly strong argument but I think it's better than having two entities with different names which in reality are the same side. Would love to hear from others who may have some points on this too.

I'm also one of those people who holds onto the hope (perhaps foolishly and unrealistically) an AFL reserves competition will eventuate at some stage in the next 5 years - if that happened would we still want to have our reserves side called Footscray?

How long is voting open?

My understanding is the survey on the Club website is open for the week, so if you want your opinion included I suggest everyone jump on and fill out the survey. It only takes a minute to do and states the Board will consider it when it meets to discuss the name in the coming months.

FrediKanoute
18-06-2013, 04:58 PM
I voted Footscray, but really, I wouldn't be upset if it was Western Bulldogs.....as Shakespere said, a rose is still a rose even if you call it by some other name.

G-Mo77
18-06-2013, 06:00 PM
I voted Footscray. VFL is a suburban league so it makes sense to name them after a suburban town and not a region.

ledge
18-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Footscray for me that's what our museum is full of, never forget your roots

bulldogtragic
18-06-2013, 06:11 PM
I noticed when Brisbane embraced their roots by playing 11 games in the Fitzroy jumper all footy lovers supported it, especially the old die hards.

Eastdog
18-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Im a supporter whose in his early 20s and I voted for Footscray. Makes sense for a Suburban VFL competition and to go back to the club roots from where it started.

Hotdog60
18-06-2013, 06:33 PM
I have been torn with this vote, it's the ol' heart over head thing. I will go Footscray because it is just the state league and grass roots stuff but I what the AFL team to stay Western Bulldogs I just wish I could reflect this sentiment on the vote page.

Go_Dogs
18-06-2013, 07:55 PM
I have been torn with this vote, it's the ol' heart over head thing. I will go Footscray because it is just the state league and grass roots stuff but I what the AFL team to stay Western Bulldogs I just wish I could reflect this sentiment on the vote page.

I wonder if anyone will be contacted by the club as was suggest by wanting our membership details etc? If anyone is contacted from here would love to know the contents of the discussion.

As expected, it appears Footscray has a strong chance of being the elected name.

Ghost Dog
18-06-2013, 08:01 PM
Localised name doesn't hurt Collingwood or Carlton. Bring it back. Foot-a-scray!

SonofScray
18-06-2013, 09:22 PM
It is Footscray without any doubt. That is the right option and the smart option from a fan engagement and branding point of view. The VFL side is a different marketplace that is fairly inconsequential to the Club's brand as an AFL side so why would you apply the same logic?

mighty_west
18-06-2013, 09:28 PM
It is Footscray without any doubt. That is the right option and the smart option from a fan engagement and branding point of view. The VFL side is a different marketplace that is fairly inconsequential to the Club's brand as an AFL side so why would you apply the same logic?

This, plus the Footscray name should not be lost for our younger generation.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Can someone with a link to a rlevant club person email them with these results?

SonofScray
18-06-2013, 09:32 PM
This, plus the Footscray name should not be lost for our younger generation.

Amen. Long live the Footscray name.

Flamethrower
18-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Definitely Footscray for me. I still call the big club Footscray too when talking about them with my mates.

It amazes me how many people think that we are either based in Perth or confuse us with GWS when I tell them I barrack for the Western Bulldogs. But the issue of the AFL club changing their name back is a fight for another day.

Ghost Dog
18-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Tell you what, it will be a very popular VFL team. I'm really excited.

LostDoggy
18-06-2013, 11:08 PM
I wasn't really bothered but thinking about it retaining the western bulldog brand should be important.

DragzLS1
19-06-2013, 02:35 PM
West Footscray bulldogs anyone? haha

I voted for Footscray as it is where the team is based and where the club roots come from. History of the club is just as important imo even though we are reaching out to the western suburbs. Footscray bulldogs for mine but wouldn't be too fussed with either.

Scraggers
19-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Pure romance I voted for Footscray

Do you think we could also convince them to play in the 80s tri-striped jumper?

bornadog
19-06-2013, 03:52 PM

Oh please no.

We could go with one of our original VFA Jumpers :)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/jumper1886.gif (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/jumper1886.gif.html)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/jumper1894.gif (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/jumper1894.gif.html)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/jumper1935.gif (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/jumper1935.gif.html)

Greystache
19-06-2013, 04:15 PM
I like the third one actually. maybe change the collar though.

bornadog
19-06-2013, 04:24 PM
I like the third one actually. maybe change the collar though.

Actually that one was worn in 1935.The first one was 1886 and the second one was 1894

This is the original jumper from 1874. It was worn with a red cap

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/jumper1874-1_zps626ac646.gif (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/jumper1874-1_zps626ac646.gif.html)

bornadog
19-06-2013, 04:26 PM
In 1901 we went to this which is close to today's jumper.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/jumper1901-1_zps4b1acbde.gif (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/jumper1901-1_zps4b1acbde.gif.html)

Remi Moses
19-06-2013, 05:50 PM

Doesn't bother me what they do.
Relieved we're getting our own team.

Scraggers
19-06-2013, 07:03 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_zDs4iG7jtwiPNqrIzfGgVJnWXvEXf_apQqal7xm YxXopHNsvfg

I love this jumper

Eastdog
19-06-2013, 08:41 PM
In 1901 we went to this which is close to today's jumper.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/jumper1901-1_zps4b1acbde.gif (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/jumper1901-1_zps4b1acbde.gif.html)

Yeah we could just go with the same strip we have in the AFL for the VFL team.

azabob
19-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Can someone with a link to a rlevant club person email them with these results?

Posters should actually vote in the offical poll on the club website.

Scraggers
19-06-2013, 09:28 PM

I have done ... I wonder if this poll reflects the club's poll. If so, it will be Footscray.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm sure we all have. But I thought WOOF is wider than just members and is a cross section of our followers, and might be somewhat persuasive. I'd email, but I only have Cam Rose email.

LostDoggy
20-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Western Bulldogs for consistency. We're nothing like just Footscray any more, and neither should we be.

SonofScray
20-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Western Bulldogs for consistency. We're nothing like just Footscray any more, and neither should we be.

First point is reasonable and makes sense to me, though I hold a different opinion. Could you clarify the second point? I'm not sure if I've understood correctly but:

We are the Footscray Football Club, have a home base at the Whitten Oval, wear the same jumper, represent the Western suburbs of Melbourne and identify currently as the Bulldogs.

That seems exactly how it should be to me.

bulldogtragic
20-06-2013, 04:19 PM
First point is reasonable and makes sense to me, though I hold a different opinion. Could you clarify the second point? I'm not sure if I've understood correctly but:

We are the Footscray Football Club, have a home base at the Whitten Oval, wear the same jumper, represent the Western suburbs of Melbourne and identify currently as the Bulldogs.

That seems exactly how it should be to me.
Someone please correct me, but last I knew we are the Footscray Football Club Trading As Western Bulldogs Football Club. WBFC is just the trading name.

Eastdog
20-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Someone please correct me, but last I knew we are the Footscray Football Club Trading As Western Bulldogs Football Club. WBFC is just the trading name.

Yes that's correct. We are FFC trading as WBFC.

LostDoggy
20-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Sorry but I wasn't being technical. For me, as a person who has never lived in Footscray, and who has no allegiance to the community of Footscray per se, the appeal then is to the wider area of the western suburbs. The Western Bulldogs just sounds grander and more marketable to me.

I do, however, understand that those who have a close affiliation with Footscray as a suburb, as a people, as a culture, may want to continue that history through a football club name that they have been involved with previously.

Eastdog
20-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Sorry but I wasn't being technical. For me, as a person who has never lived in Footscray, and who has no allegiance to the community of Footscray per se, the appeal then is to the wider area of the western suburbs. The Western Bulldogs just sounds grander and more marketable to me.

I do, however, understand that those who have a close affiliation with Footscray as a suburb, as a people, as a culture, may want to continue that history through a football club name that they have been involved with previously.

I myself live out in the eastern suburbs and have never lived in Footscray either but the argument is that going back to Footscray goes back to the roots of where our club originated and that for a VFL team name its appropriate as it is a suburban competition.

LostDoggy
20-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Just a little poll snapshot:

Western Bulldogs 16 25.40%
Footscray Bulldogs 47 74.60%

bulldogtragic
20-06-2013, 05:15 PM
Just a little poll snapshot:

Western Bulldogs 16 25.40%
Footscray Bulldogs 47 74.60%
Give the masses what they want.

Free Bwian.... No, call the feeder side Footscray.

SonofScray
20-06-2013, 05:50 PM

Thanks metal.

Yeah, that feels right for mine, I was just curious because you sometimes hear people talk about pre and post 97 versions of the Club as remarkably different entities. Or that we are the Western Bulldogs to the exclusion of the Footscray Football Club identity, when that is, regardless of how heavily we've bought into the rebranding, incorrect.

w3design
21-06-2013, 05:05 PM
I'd add a Footscray vote however i'm not allowed to vote?

Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Obviously I've voted on the Dogs website the VFL team to be Footscray. :D

Greystache
21-06-2013, 05:12 PM
I'd add a Footscray vote however i'm not allowed to vote?

The poll closed on 16/6/13

w3design
21-06-2013, 05:17 PM
The poll closed on 16/6/13

Ahh thanks mate. I thought that might be the case however it doesn't mention a close date from my end.

Edit : You mean the 18th right? Not sure how a poll could be closed two days before the thread?

Greystache
21-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Ahh thanks mate. I thought that might be the case however it doesn't mention a close date from my end.

Edit : You mean the 18th right? Not sure how a poll could be closed two days before the thread?

Actually it closes 16/9. Not sure why you can't vote :confused:

w3design
21-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Actually it closes 16/9. Not sure why you can't vote :confused:

Been a while since I used VB. However from memory it's in the Usergroup settings.

Quick search of google I found this.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-legacy-versions-products/legacy-vbulletin-versions/vbulletin-3-7-questions-problems-and-troubleshooting/288390-voter-1-you-may-not-vote-on-this-poll

bornadog
21-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Been a while since I used VB. However from memory it's in the Usergroup settings.

Quick search of google I found this.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-legacy-versions-products/legacy-vbulletin-versions/vbulletin-3-7-questions-problems-and-troubleshooting/288390-voter-1-you-may-not-vote-on-this-poll

Hey Anthony you should be able to vote, I have it open till 16 September

Doc26
21-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Minor point but can someone from our Marketing Dept please tell me why that to be eligible as a member to nominate my preference to this survey on the Club's website that as a prerequisite I must also consent to be potentially (spammed) contacted by corporate partners affiliated to the club ? Surely this should be optional.

w3design
24-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Hey Anthony you should be able to vote, I have it open till 16 September

Nope the site Admin must have me in some strange Usergroup. I can't vote on polls.

bornadog
24-06-2013, 01:40 PM
Nope the site Admin must have me in some strange Usergroup. I can't vote on polls.

PM GVGjr

w3design
24-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Our club has/had over 100 years of tradition as the Footscray F.C. in the Vic. state leagues/associations. It has never competed in this competition as the Western Bulldogs, only in the national comp under that moniker.
At the Whitten/Western Oval, it has only ever played as Footscray.

I would have thought it is a no brainer that our reserves should be known as Footscray. Any suggestion that our younger supporters some of who have only known the club as WB's would somehow be confused is a nonsense.
For one thing, I am sure most of them will be brighter than that. Beside those youngsters have never had our reserves known as WB's anyway, as some one pointed out earlier, they have only known them as Williamstown or Werribee any way.

soupman
24-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Our club has/had over 100 years of tradition as the Footscray F.C. in the Vic. state leagues/associations. It has never competed in this competition as the Western Bulldogs, only in the national comp under that moniker.

I would have thought it is a no brainer that our reserves should be known as Footscray. Any suggestion that our younger supporters some of who have only known the club as WB's would somehow be confused is a nonsense.
For one thing, I am sure most of them will be brighter than that. Beside those youngsters have never had our reserves known as WB's anyway, as some one pointed out earlier, they have only known them as Williamstown or Werribee any way.

Not true. Played there in 1997.

chef
24-06-2013, 06:26 PM

Weren't we the Prince Imperial Football Club for a short while?

The Pie Man
25-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Not true. Played there in 1997.

One game yeah? Against WCE in horrible conditions (GREAT DAY!:))

LostDoggy
25-06-2013, 10:34 AM
It's interesting that Geelong do not call their VFL side Corio or similar, or that Collingwood do not call their VFL side Caringbah, or that Essendon do not call their VFL side Moonee Ponds yet some suggest on here, they are happy to undermine the Brand we have been building for 15 years to embrace the entire West in favour of a piece of nostalgia which does absolutely nothing for the club.

Don't give up your day jobs to sit on the Western Bulldogs Board.

Scraggers
25-06-2013, 11:33 AM
It's interesting that Geelong do not call their VFL side Corio or similar, or that Collingwood do not call their VFL side Caringbah, or that Essendon do not call their VFL side Moonee Ponds yet some suggest on here, they are happy to undermine the Brand we have been building for 15 years to embrace the entire West in favour of a piece of nostalgia which does absolutely nothing for the club.

Don't give up your day jobs to sit on the Western Bulldogs Board.

With all due respect, I think your argument is moot. Geelong never played as Corio, nor Collingwood as Caringbah, or Essendon as Mooney Ponds. Yes we have been building a brand ... The Footscray Football Club trading as The Western Bulldogs.

If we truly want to embrace the idea of being the club of the West of Melbourne then we should drop the FFC from the back of our jumpers. Until that happens, I am happy for our reserves teams to be called Footscray.

LostDoggy
25-06-2013, 01:09 PM
With all due respect, I think your argument is moot. Geelong never played as Corio, nor Collingwood as Caringbah, or Essendon as Mooney Ponds. Yes we have been building a brand ... The Footscray Football Club trading as The Western Bulldogs.

If we truly want to embrace the idea of being the club of the West of Melbourne then we should drop the FFC from the back of our jumpers. Until that happens, I am happy for our reserves teams to be called Footscray.

The FFC on the back is part of our history - you can't change it and you would not want to. But we are in the "now" not the past.

Nuggety Back Pocket
25-06-2013, 11:46 PM
The FFC on the back is part of our history - you can't change it and you would not want to. But we are in the "now" not the past.

Thanks EJ. Supporters who value club history will know that the FFC existed from 1884, with a proud history behind it. I doubt that clubs like Essendon will ever become the Northern Bombers or Hawthorn the Eastern Hawks. We are now the only Victorian based club to have changed its name.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2013, 11:44 PM
For those who are interested

http://www.facebook.com/FootscrayBulldogs

Bumper Bulldogs
09-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Its all about the brand, we should be the same as the seniors, so if your wanting Footscray Bulldogs you will need to change it for the whole club.