PDA

View Full Version : A MESSAGE FROM BRENDAN MCCARTNEY Round 12

bornadog
18-06-2013, 11:27 PM
18 June 2013

In the first half of the game on Sunday, we caused a lot of the damage ourselves because we were a little bit safe. Collingwood defended well, but we let them get into that groove early on and we weren’t great around stoppages — it meant the ball kept getting kicked into their forward line and we struggled to get it out.

However in the first half, there were still opportunities where we could have just stayed within four or five goals, if we had taken them — we missed goals at close range that we really should have kicked. The reality is, the better team won because they played the better footy for longer periods of the game.

At half time, we didn’t overload the playing group with information, we gave them time to think and reassess, but the simple instruction was to play the game, and if you see a free target just take it. We still made some fundamental mistakes with the ball in the second half, but we were able to increase our pressure and get the ball back from Collingwood, and probably a bit like times in the first half we really should have maximised more opportunities. I felt as a coach we did enough on the day to maybe score 85-90 points, and we should have with a bit more poise and just that last little bit of finishing.

We know when we have good quarters and what that looks like from a statistical point of view, and we know when we have bad quarters and what it looks like. We actually had quite favourable results on Sunday, what we didn’t do was when we made them turn the ball over, we didn’t convert well enough and they were able to score some easy goals from stoppages.

The story of the day was missed opportunities and being too safe with the footy, particularly early in the game. The growth and positives in the group is their willingness to just dig in and fight, and their ability to compete and put pressure on a very good team, as we saw in the second half — that is the standard we expect.

There is a new challenge this week, against a team that jumped us the last time we played them, and jumped us in a specific way — we have to prepare for that and ensure that doesn’t happen again.

We noticed your voice out there again on Sunday, you can actually hear it in the coaches’ box. There is no doubt that our members and fans understand where our team is at, and I think that is full credit to everyone out there. The support and the recognition is very much appreciated — we are hell-bent on getting better and getting off to a good start this week against a quality team.

See you at the game,

Brendan McCartney

bulldogtragic
18-06-2013, 11:39 PM
I think it's great that he is interacting with the masses. Can't knock him for that. Big tick, well done.

But I'm starting to tire of these mush pieces. Dont treat us like mushrooms. Tell the truth. Boyd was disappointing. Cooney was injured or embarrassing. We have no forward line. Players are in the team that shouldn't be. Our skills are among the worst in the league.

Please don't feed me crap and tell me it's peanut butter. If all I read was this stuff I'd think everything was rosey at the club.

But I suppose being overly positive sells his message.

Before I Die
19-06-2013, 12:20 AM
I think it's great that he is interacting with the masses. Can't knock him for that. Big tick, well done.

But I'm starting to tire of these mush pieces. Dont treat us like mushrooms. Tell the truth. Boyd was disappointing. Cooney was injured or embarrassing. We have no forward line. Players are in the team that shouldn't be. Our skills are among the worst in the league.

Please don't feed me crap and tell me it's peanut butter. If all I read was this stuff I'd think everything was rosey at the club.

I found the review very honest and felt that it accurately decribed the situation of the game. Yes, it has a positive spin, but what message do you want the coach to be delivering? I know that I dont want him berating individuals publicly, save that for behind closed doors.

I was concerned that the early hesitancy was a coaching instruction, it is good to know that wasn't the case. I think these messages from the coach are a fantastic innovation for the supporters.

Remi Moses
19-06-2013, 12:52 AM

Coaches should never ever cane their players in public.
You don't think in reviews and behind closed doors players aren't being criticised ?

Ghost Dog
19-06-2013, 07:52 AM
You don't think in reviews and behind closed doors players aren't being criticised ?

Rocket Eade: The dumbest smart bloke in Footy. FrankenWill
James Fantasia: Brian Lake should be able to play through injury...
And so on...

always right
19-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Agree....public shaming of individual players should be left to people qualified to do so...i.e. posters on footy forums:D

Personally I think Macca's summaries of each match are instructive. I don't expect him to berate individuals and he's not stupid enough to do so.

whythelongface
19-06-2013, 09:08 AM
I found the review very honest and felt that it accurately decribed the situation of the game. Yes, it has a positive spin, but what message do you want the coach to be delivering? I know that I dont want him berating individuals publicly, save that for behind closed doors.

I was concerned that the early hesitancy was a coaching instruction, it is good to know that wasn't the case. I think these messages from the coach are a fantastic innovation for the supporters.

Agree....public shaming of individual players should be left to people qualified to do so...i.e. posters on footy forums:D

Personally I think Macca's summaries of each match are instructive. I don't expect him to berate individuals and he's not stupid enough to do so.

Agree with all of the above.

Public singling out and criticising individuals for a below par performance is a sure fire way of losing the playing group. McCartney is way too smart not to go down that path.

The Pie Man
19-06-2013, 10:30 AM
It's not like he's not making constructive points either - playing 'safe' for example - which I interpret as slow & sideways movement in the back half...even when there were options down field.

Watching it though, I figured it was part of the instructions to keep possession. Either mixed messages, or they just didn't get it on the day.

Remi Moses
19-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Rocket Eade: The dumbest smart bloke in Footy. FrankenWill
James Fantasia: Brian Lake should be able to play through injury...
And so on...

That's said in jest about Minson. That's not bagging a player 's effort on the day.

Ghost Dog
19-06-2013, 08:18 PM
That's said in jest about Minson. That's not bagging a player 's effort on the day.

I don't think it was really said in Jest. And the second comment certainly was not.
Both of them were poor.

bornadog
19-06-2013, 11:47 PM
I don't think it was really said in Jest. And the second comment certainly was not.
Both of them were poor.

First one was in jest, the second one was Monty not Fantasia.

Remi Moses
20-06-2013, 12:51 AM
Both of them were poor.

It was interpreted as a running joke between them.
Goodness sake lighten up!
You never get a coach bagging his players in public, regardless of how poor they were on the day.

BulldogBelle
20-06-2013, 05:26 AM
18 June 2013

In the first half of the game on Sunday, we caused a lot of the damage ourselves because we were a little bit safe.

Brendan McCartney

Well, that seemed obvious. I thought that it must have been a coaching instruction to play that way.

Yeah, we need flair!

That's a good saying, an aphorism no less. Please feel free to use it.

Ghost Dog
20-06-2013, 08:30 AM
You never get a coach bagging his players in public, regardless of how poor they were on the day.

Sorry, that's not the case. Lake was bagged in the media for not being able to play through injury. Is there a reason you are not willing to concede that point and are choosing to ignore it?
Joke or not, the Minson thing was still bagging in the media.

mighty_west
20-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Sorry, that's not the case. Lake was bagged in the media for not being able to play through injury. Is there a reason you are not willing to concede that point and are choosing to ignore it?
Joke or not, the Minson thing was still bagging in the media.

Said in jest, running joke or not, I thought it was poor on Rocket's behalf, alot of people / supporters take things litetally, making fun of one of your own player's in front of the media like that was just a tad messy imo.

Ghost Dog
20-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Said in jest, running joke or not, I thought it was poor on Rocket's behalf, alot of people / supporters take things litetally, making fun of one of your own player's in front of the media like that was just a tad messy imo.

Have to agree there mighty_west. But who's laughing now? Go Will. AA form this year.

jeemak
21-06-2013, 12:51 AM
Both of them were poor.

First one was in jest, the second one was Monty not Fantasia.

Goodness sake lighten up!

Have to agree there mighty_west. But who's laughing now? Go Will. AA form this year.

It's ridiculous to think Minson would have taken any offence from what Rocket said about him. Credit has to be given to the intimate relationships players and coaches have, and players need to expect some of that will come out in jest when coaches are appraising good or poor performances.

Some people have made assumptions about Rocket's view on Will, but in reality, Eade just thought the team was better served with a single dedicated ruckman of his choice (Hudson), just like Bmac thinks we're better served with a single dedicated ruckman of his choice (Minson). I personally think this was a strategic shortfall of Eade and his management of the sub, but that's just how it played out in 2011. For Bmac it's different, as he only has one truly viable ruck option on the list.

Fantasia's point on Lake wasn't something that should have been made public, even if some of it were true.

bornadog
21-06-2013, 11:35 AM
I personally think this was a strategic shortfall of Eade and his management of the sub,

True, however, 2011 was the first year of the sub and no coach was sure how to play it out, especially with the second ruck scenario.

Fantasia's point on Lake wasn't something that should have been made public, even if some of it were true.

That was Monty not Fantasia.

jeemak
21-06-2013, 01:49 PM
True, however, 2011 was the first year of the sub and no coach was sure how to play it out, especially with the second ruck scenario.

That was Monty not Fantasia.

Whoops. I'm not even a Fantasia basher!