Conca Riewoldt Vickery

Rucks:

Minson Griffen Lower

Maric Martin D.Jackson

Int:

Smith, Hrovat, Giansiracusa, Sub. Hunter

Newman, Vlastuin, Foley, Sub. White

Where the game will be one and lost:

This will be a battle for midfield supremacy, and for us in creating legitimate forward options to put a winning score on the board. Richmond's midfield through Deledio, Martin, Grigg, Cotchin, Jackson, Edwards and Conca dominated us in our round 3 encounter and since this occasion they have added further to their depth with Foley, Ellis and Vlastuin, all now active in their rapid midfield rotation. Whilst the Tigers are not ranked as highly as us in centre clearances and stoppages they do create havoc on the outside with mulitple options presenting to provide good run and spread and when coupled with their high disposal efficiency, 2nd only to Hawthorn, is where we can be exposed. Restricting their outside supply will be the key factor in the outcome of this week's encounter.

We need to start to capitalise on our relatively strong position in clearances and around the stoppages with far better ball use on the outside. Being ranked 16th in both insde 50s and marks inside 50, with only Melb. and GWS behind us, highlights our deficiency and just how hard we are making it for our forwards. Not surprisingly we are ranked 16th in effective disposals, with Melb. and GWS ahead of us.

Whilst supportive of Roughead's role down back, this week there is an opportunity for him to add greater value at Centre Half Forward to help create a legitimate marking option whilst helping to give Liam a chop out against Rance and Chaplin. With the exception of Liam, and possibly Bob, our forwards in Dickson, Dahlhaus, Higgins and Gia were poor in our round 3 matchup. An extra tall marking option up forward might also help to bring our much needed smalls into the game.

Down back, the addition of Talia has provided us with some flexibility. I have him matched up on Vickery who otherwise would've been Roughy's assignment for the round. In only his 3rd senior game since returning from his horrific leg break, Dale did largely contain Riewoldt when the game was on. With 12 games now under his belt Moz should be able to keep Jack in toe given adequate pressure on entry is applied up field.

The key assignments:

Picken Vs Deledio

Not since Warne Vs Cullinan have I enjoyed watching one sportsman psychologically dominate one of his opponents as much as Liam has over Lids in previous encounters. You could literally see Brett's shoulders drop when Liam made his bee line to him. Whether due to Nick Lower's arrival, Liam in season 2013 finds himself in a different place, down on form and needing to lift as a senior member of the team. As Adelaide learnt the hard way last week, leave Deledio to himself at your peril. And as much as our MC may send Liam to Jake King again it is off Richmond's half back where both Lids and Houli remain their creative playmakers and must be contained. My choice is to see Lid's shoulders drop for one more time. Go Liam.

Griffen Vs Jackson

Our star performer who has now moved into the uber elite class of midfielder with his ability, through an increased workrate, to throw off a hard tag. With that said, Richmond will be working their hardest to nullify our standout inside / outside mid. Jackson will be their main man for the job but expect many to share the load to work Griff over. Jackson, known for his endurance, is also prone to turning the ball over in traffic. When we can, we must capitalise on these opportunities as they present.

Lower Vs Cotchin

A tough matchup for Nick particularly given Cotchin's speed around the ground and a workrate that is rivalled by only few others, and who will keep working into red time. I can't see Nick doing this one by himself and like what Richmond will apply to Griff we need to apply to Cotchin to negate his influence around and outside of the stoppages.

Liberatore / Boyd / Cooney / Stevens / Smith / Dahlhaus Vs Martin / Grigg / Foley / Edwards / Conca / Ellis / Vlastuin

There is somewhat of a contrast between our midfield and our opponent's for the week. Whilst we're ranked quite highly in contested possessions (#5), tackles (#5) and clearances (#5) and quite superior on paper in this area to Richmond (they're ranked last in tackles) they on the other hand are ranked second in the league in disposal efficiency and are significantly higher than us in uncontested possessions and marks inside 50. We have shown we can get first use of the ball, how we use it, and our ability to negate their mids from finding space to be at their creative best is largely where this game will be won and lost.

Minson Vs Maric

Like Griffen, Big Will is in career best form, pushing for All Australian selection. Given the damage that Richmond's now prolific midfield can inflict on the outside, Will will play a key part in determing the outcome of this match with the feed he can provide to our own whilst negating the influence of Maric in bringing his runners into the game. In our first encounter, I gave Maric the points with what appeared a superior workrate, often running off Will to create space. Maric, who has found recent form, will be buouyed by his round 3 encounter and no doubt will endeavour to work Will over again through hard running. This will be an intriguing encounter to see who gains control.

Murphy Vs Houli

Along with Deledio, Bachar Houli off the other flank needs to have his influence contained. Whilst blanketing Higgins in round 3, he also hurt us the other way with 16k/10h/6m and was in their best on the day. Last week against the Crows, he again was in the Tigers best with 17k/9h/10m and with Jaensch on him as a forward tag. Whilst not wishing to stifle our forward options I would give Murphy this key role who has the experience and class to match.

Prediction:

Our first encounter with Richmond was one of our worst for the season. I came away quite deflated with how our small forwards presented and how far we had to go to match it on the outside against an elite running midfield. Their midfield continues to develop very well and Hardwick employs a heavy midfield rotation of up to 10 genuine midfielders to keep them fresh. The make up of our team this week is likely to be quite different since last we met with up to 7 different players including Boyd and Johannisen and a string of new talent. Whether this is enough to shift the balance I'm not sure but it will be interesting to see how far we've come and learnt since coming up for the first time against a team for the second time.

Richmond by 27 points

bornadog
19-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Thanks Doc26, enjoyed the read and agree with all you have said. I just wonder whether Picken will go to Deledio, I hope the coach does match these guys up.

The important thing for us is to get a good start otherwise, like last time they will run all over us.

LostDoggy
19-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Great read doc.

Really hope we don't do an Adelaide and not tag Deledio, it's bleeding obvious it has to be done. Cue Deledio kicking that 7 second? goal in the game earlier this year.

Those stats are very telling of where we can win the game. Tackles, Contested Possies and Clearances.

I think we must have the Picken/Deledio and Lower/Cotchin matchups if we want any chance in winning, take those two out of the game and the job isn't as difficult.

Put Cooney in the midfield and put trust in Roughie and Morris to keep ontop of Vickery/Riewoltd.

Agree with Houli needing attention, along with Brandon Ellis.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Spot on Doc26. You certainly do your homework. I like the ins with Hunter starting as the sub and Hrovat to inject some badly needed pace. We need someone to grab a mark up forward and Roughead
appeals as the obvious choice. Having Murphy, Roughead and Gia starting up forward gives us a more potent attack. I support the idea of moving Picken as a tag on to the dangerous Deledio. Richmond is a middle of the road team IMO and providing we get our match ups right this is a winnable match.
Well done on an excellent preview.

F'scary
19-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Martin killed us last time. Tag him to death too.

1eyedog
19-06-2013, 03:30 PM
The points you've raised regarding their efficiency by hand and foot and ability to run on the outside are major concerns. Teams that do this well look like real football teams and their ability to move the ball quickly equals an ability to score quickly. Hope we don't get blown out of the water.

Greystache
19-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Great job Doc, some really interesting stats to analyze.

On the surface it looks very much like an inside team vs an outside team. Our ability to force stoppages, close the game down, and apply pressure to their ball carriers will be what determines who wins. Richmond has shown an inability to deal with strong defensive pressure and we can't afford to be lacking in that area this week.

Go_Dogs
19-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the effort put in Doc, great read.

I agree that we should be aiming to play Roughead forward this week. Like you I don't see it being an on-going need, but this week seems a great opportunity to give him a run in the forward line and see if it can help us be more effective inside 50.

Also like the match ups you have proposed and think Picken has to go to Deledio whilst Lower should go to Cotchin and will need some additional support from all the mids to make Cotchin's life difficult on Saturday night.

I got dragged along to the Richmond v Crows game on the weekend and their intensity at the ball carrier and defensive structures were quite effective so we'll once again be up against it. If we can limit their prime movers and look to move the ball quickly it'll help significantly.

Let's hope it's an improved performance from earlier in the year and gives us a strong indication we are moving in the right direction.

LostDoggy
19-06-2013, 05:20 PM
There's probably no need to tag Cotchin, he has been putrid all season. Even against us most of his touches were from running around the back of a mark getting a cheap handball recieve.
Martin and Deledio are the ones to shut down.

always right
19-06-2013, 06:09 PM
There's probably no need to tag Cotchin, he has been putrid all season. Even against us most of his touches were from running around the back of a mark getting a cheap handball recieve.
Martin and Deledio are the ones to shut down.

Th eproblems is no matter how Cotchin might get the ball, his use of it is elite. Let him run free at your peril. Having said that we certainly need a plan for Martin who has cut us up on the last few occasions. With all the criticism on this board, perhaps it's a defensive challenge that should be thrown at the captain.

LostDoggy
19-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Th eproblems is no matter how Cotchin might get the ball, his use of it is elite. Let him run free at your peril. Having said that we certainly need a plan for Martin who has cut us up on the last few occasions. With all the criticism on this board, perhaps it's a defensive challenge that should be thrown at the captain.

The way he's been using it this year makes Boyd and Cross look like elite users, having said that he is the type of player who could turn his form around, and it probably would be a bad idea to let him run free. I just would lock down on martin and Deledio before locking down on him

Greystache
19-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Th eproblems is no matter how Cotchin might get the ball, his use of it is elite. Let him run free at your peril . Having said that we certainly need a plan for Martin who has cut us up on the last few occasions. With all the criticism on this board, perhaps it's a defensive challenge that should be thrown at the captain.

It is?

I must have been watching a different Trent Cotchin from you, the one who plays for Richmond is going at 54% by foot in 2013 and would stand out as a bad kick even in our midfield.

F'scary
19-06-2013, 06:40 PM
It is?

I must have been watching a different Trent Cotchin from you, the one who plays for Richmond is going at 54% by foot in 2013 and would stand out as a bad kick even in our midfield.

That is a harsh call. But on Crotchin or us I cannot tell.

DragzLS1
19-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Im going to say it.. Cotchin is a younger boyd, except with alot more speed but a little less strength.

always right
19-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Cotchin cops a heavy tag every week so many of his kicks are under pressure. If you're happy to let him run free, then we clearly have a different view of his ability.

Maddog37
19-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Cotchin killed us in one game last year.

LostDoggy
20-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Regardless of how he's playing this year, I wouldn't want to not tag him, and have him come into some form off the leash.

Maybe just have Boyd run with him.