PDA

View Full Version : Football Operations Manager

GVGjr
19-06-2013, 05:59 AM
Reported in the Papers today that we have narrowed our search down to two candidates for the Football Operations Managers position. David Noble the list manager for the Crows and Wayne Campbell an assistant coach at the Tigers are believed to be the final two candidates.

Thoughts?

Go_Dogs
19-06-2013, 07:00 AM
Interesting, I'd be relatively happy with Noble based on what I know and would probably prefer him to Campbell.

FrediKanoute
19-06-2013, 07:10 AM
Wow I thought Ben Graham was a dead cert.

Throughandthrough
19-06-2013, 07:41 AM
ADELAIDE'S enormous task of managing its recruiting plans against the Kurt Tippett draft sanctions is to be made tougher by the Western Bulldogs targeting Crows list manager David Noble

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs8217-sights-set-on-adelaide-crows8217-david-noble/story-e6frecoc-1226665895156

Twodogs
19-06-2013, 08:50 AM
Cheers T&T.

I really wanted Neil Balme.

The Underdog
19-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Interesting that they both have a history with the club as assistant coaches. Can't imagine Campbell being a popular choice, considering the view of him from the fans in his last stint.

Throughandthrough
19-06-2013, 09:36 AM
The people I know that work with Nobes rate him very highly.

bornadog
19-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Wow I thought Ben Graham was a dead cert.

Not enough experience

Bulldog Revolution
19-06-2013, 11:50 AM
The people I know that work with Nobes rate him very highly.

I would have thought he'd have Campbell covered in terms of experience

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Interesting, I'd be relatively happy with Noble based on what I know and would probably prefer him to Campbell.

I had previously passed on David Noble's name to the Club as an outstanding prospect, given his excellent credentials and am pleased to hear that he is in strong contention. Noble was recently elevated in his role at the Crows, so whether we can offer an attractive enough package to lure him to the Western Bulldogs will be interesting.

azabob
19-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Interesting that they both have a history with the club as assistant coaches. Can't imagine Campbell being a popular choice, considering the view of him from the fans in his last stint.

Is that because he left for more money or?

Bulldog Joe
19-06-2013, 01:47 PM
I would be happy to see Noble get the gig.

Certainly prefer him to Campbell, as I have never felt comfortable with him from his playing days and the carry on with Knights against Libba snr. (I know long memories and all)

Interested that I have always looked on Campbell as a bit of a goose, but Goose is actual the nickname for Noble from his early days at least.

LostDoggy
19-06-2013, 01:55 PM
I had previously passed on David Noble's name to the Club as an outstanding prospect, given his excellent credentials and am pleased to hear that he is in strong contention. Noble was recently elevated in his role at the Crows, so whether we can offer an attractive enough package to lure him to the Western Bulldogs will be interesting.

Yes please. Pay the man his money...

The Underdog
19-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Is that because he left for more money or?

He may have been the first non-head coach coaching staff whipping boy. There seemed to be a lot of resentment from his role in the Libba-Knights incident and he copped a lot of flak on BF for being a poor assistant coach, which was probably unfair considering the difficulty in judging from outside.

bulldogtragic
19-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Without seeing the details of their respective resumes, I would have thought Noble would be the favourite.

Go_Dogs
19-06-2013, 03:52 PM

Great to hear NBP. The package we're able to offer seems like it'll be the deciding factor - it appears from the article T&T posted that Rob Chapman may back the money truck up to try and keep Noble at the Crows. I really hope we are prepared to do the same to attract the best quality candidate and don't look for the 'cheaper' option.

bornadog
19-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Cheers T&T.

I really wanted Neil Balme.

This ^^^

Maddog37
19-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Most hated footballer ever from my point of view is Wayne Campbell. Cannot stand him and would rather offer the job to Aker!

Bulldog Revolution
19-06-2013, 10:43 PM
This ^^^

Was he available? gettable? I suspect not

bornadog
19-06-2013, 11:37 PM

Everyone has a price.

Throughandthrough
20-06-2013, 12:03 AM
I believe Nobes will be staying in Adelaide

bornadog
20-06-2013, 12:05 AM
I believe Nobes will be staying in Adelaide

Don't tell me we are stuck with Campbell.

bulldogtragic
20-06-2013, 12:07 AM
If we get Campbell, I wonder if he will dob on Libba Jnr?

G-Mo77
20-06-2013, 01:57 AM

It was a long time ago but I wouldn't be happy with this.

Remi Moses
20-06-2013, 02:59 AM
Let's be honest that wasn't Libba's finest hour.
I think Campbell maintained the old footballer mentality of not seeing anything.
Long time ago, and if he's the best for the job then good luck.

BulldogBelle
20-06-2013, 05:09 AM
Geeze Campbell, I couldn't stand it. They way he squeeled on Libba. If he was hired that would show disloyalty by the administration.
No, no can't be, can't be.

Already had him as an assistant coach once. He is just one guy you don't have.

comrade
20-06-2013, 08:50 AM
I, for one, welcome our new Football Manager:

https://crackinfilms.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/ww.jpg

Oh, they're referring to the Richmond one...

Throughandthrough
20-06-2013, 09:29 AM

Party on, comrade.

Ps nobles definitely staying in Adelaide. Confirmed in today's media

Go_Dogs
20-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Party on, comrade.

Ps nobles definitely staying in Adelaide. Confirmed in today's media

Disappointing. I'm not sure Campbell has the credentials we need. I'm happy to keep waiting for the right option to become available.

Murphy'sLore
20-06-2013, 10:26 AM
For the newbies amongst us, could someone please elaborate on the Campbell/Libba story?

Twodogs
20-06-2013, 12:00 PM
For the newbies amongst us, could someone please elaborate on the Campbell/Libba story?

2001 I think, early in the season us V Richond at the MCG. In the first quarter a pack forms and Matthew Knights staggers out of he pack with blood all over his face. Libba copped the blame for it, Wayne Campbell at first says he didn't see what happened but changed his mind the next day and shopped Libba. Libba was charged and got 6 weeks (I think) at the tribunal after Campbell told the tribunal he saw Libba elbow Knights in the face. It's on YouTube.

FWIW If Campbell is the best man for the job then I don't have a problem with him being appointed. I'd still rather Neil Balme over anyone else.

Twodogs
20-06-2013, 12:09 PM

We have a few cards up our sleeve.

1. The amount of ex Geelong people in our footy department.

2. He's been at Geelong for nearly a decade and may well be ready for a new challenge.

3. He still lives in Melbourne and has to commute to Geelong everyday. Turning right at Gordon street and heading to Whitten oval may appeal to him rather than dealing with the traffic on Geelong rd for another 45 minutes/hour.

Murphy'sLore
20-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Ouch! Thanks for that Twodogs.

lemmon
20-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Saw him interviewed on Footy Classified a few weeks back, was pretty firm in that he has no desire to work anywhere else but Geelong and feels he still has business to achieve

hujsh
21-06-2013, 06:43 PM

Thought you were doing a Kent Brockman when I read the first line.

eKbFb6TPVEA

SlimPickens
21-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Find it very interesting the lack of faith people have in the people in charge of making the decisions for the football club. Cant say I know much about Wayne Campbells credentials for the footy managers job but if Gordon and Garlick think he is the man for the job then so be it.

whythelongface
28-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Just read that Graham Lowe has been appointed to the position of General Manager, Football. Sorry don't have a link. Is this the same position as Football Operations Manager or something completely different?

GVGjr
28-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Just read that Graham Lowe has been appointed to the position of General Manager, Football. Sorry don't have a link. Is this the same position as Football Operations Manager or something completely different?

Same position but different title, replacing Fantasia.

whythelongface
28-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Same position but different title, replacing Fantasia.

What are your thoughts on the appointment GVGjr? He brings a lot of outside experience to the table. Is it a concern that he is not from an AFL background?

GVGjr
28-06-2013, 12:15 PM
What are your thoughts on the appointment GVGjr? He brings a lot of outside experience to the table. Is it a concern that he is not from an AFL background?

I just had a call from a mate who thinks he was the best candidate. He agreed with me that we have a stronger set of managers than we had in previous years (bigger spend in the footy department) so it will be very much a strategic and management role than necessarily requiring genuine football experience or background. I'm optimistic.

bulldogtragic
28-06-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm confused. He has been the high performance manager the last two years. If this is his version of high performance, well..... But then again, Cam Rose had no AFL background and was a success.... And he's not Campbell.

bornadog
28-06-2013, 12:20 PM
A little bit about Lowe:

New Zealand born. His Bio from LinkedIn:

High Performance Manager
Western Bulldogs
December 2012 – Present (7 months)Melbourne Area, Australia

Director of Performance Rugby
Scottish Rugby Union
November 2009 – February 2013 (3 years 4 months)Edinburgh, Scotland

National Fitness Advisor for All Blacks and NZRU
New Zealand Rugby Union
April 2004 – February 2008 (3 years 11 months)

Education

University of Otago
MPhEd, Physical Education
1995 – 1997

University of Otago
PhEd, Physical Education
1991 – 1994

A great tribute to him from Scottish Rugby:

link (http://www.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/story/170424.html)

The SRU's chief executive Mark Dodson paid tribute to Lowe saying: "Graham has played a pivotal role in the development and improvement of our high-performance rugby teams and has underlined the importance of strength and conditioning in our programmes.

"The insight he has brought on what it requires to be successful at the highest levels of the game has been invaluable and both our pro-clubs, Edinburgh Rugby and Glasgow Warriors, have benefited from his approach.

"Graham has also shown huge determination and energy to raise standards throughout our club game and I know he is proud to have played a part in the changes to the club season structure over the past three years and the continuing development and competitiveness of our Premier rugby competition.

"His understanding of performance planning has helped to shape our strategy for the next few years yet I think what has endeared him most to a variety of people in the game in Scotland is his ability to put the player and individual improvement at the heart of his philosophy."

Scotland head coach Andy Robinson added: "I have thoroughly enjoyed working with Lowie over these last three years. He is a fierce competitor and knows what is required to be the best. He has inspired high standards and has set Scotland on the right path. It's now vital that we build on the foundations that he has laid through his leadership."

bornadog
28-06-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm confused. He has been the high performance manager the last two years. If this is his version of high performance, well..... But then again, Cam Rose had no AFL background and was a success.... And he's not Campbell.

He was appointed in December 2012. See my post above.

whythelongface
28-06-2013, 12:24 PM
I just had a call from a mate who thinks he was the best candidate. He agreed with me that we have a stronger set of managers than we had in previous years (bigger spend in the footy department) so it will be very much a strategic and management role than necessarily requiring genuine football experience or background. I'm optimistic.

Thanks. It sounds to me like a really positive move and as you say further strengthens out Management dept. It is also a positive sign that the club is progressing in that a person of the calibre of Graham Lowe has taken up such an important position within the club. His CV reads very well and would probably be a sought after individual in many sports.

Go_Dogs
28-06-2013, 01:13 PM
I must say I'm surprised (in a good way) with this appointment, think Graham will be a great operator for the club in this capacity. Certainly seems to have significant managerial experience which was the concern I had regarding the other candidates who had been named in the media, in Campbell and Joyce.

As others have posed, I wonder if this will mean we now need to appoint another High Performance Manager or whether the club believes Lowe will be able to wear both hats, indeed if there is still a need for someone to fill that role?

Twodogs
28-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Does anyone who follows Rugby know much about whether Scotland improved under Lowe?

FrediKanoute
29-06-2013, 04:45 AM
Hard to say how much Scotland improved they have been the easy beats (though they do tend to trouble the Wallabies) of the 6 nations over here. Its usually them and Italy battling it out for the wooden spoon. I can't say I say saw much improvement in Scotland over the last 5 years or so, but there are real deep rooted issues in the game in Scotland, not the least of whcih is the dominance football has over most sports. Scottish rugby draws from a tiny pool of talent.

Better though is his time with the All Blacks and the fact he studied at Otago University. Its pretty highly recommended re sports science etc. The All Blacks speak for themselves, a coutnry mile ahead of every other rugby team.

In summary I think he's a good appointment. Nice to promote from withing and recognise the abilities and talent we already have.