PDA

View Full Version : Hunter to Debut

bornadog
20-06-2013, 01:57 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/273186-tlsnewsportrait_zps51bbdc10.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/273186-tlsnewsportrait_zps51bbdc10.jpg.html)

Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-06-20/hunter-to-debut)

The Western Bulldogs are set to unveil a fifth debutant this season, with Senior Coach Brendan McCartney confirming father-son selection Lachie Hunter will be named against Richmond on Saturday.

The 18-year-old has built a strong case for senior selection over the past month at Williamstown, being named among the best players in the past four consecutive weeks.

Hunter, the son of 1990s Bulldogs’ defender Mark Hunter has been in scintillating form in the VFL, alternating between half-forward and through the midfield.

McCartney said Hunter will be rewarded for his efforts in Saturday’s clash against Richmond, as he joins fellow draftees Jake Stringer, Jack Macrae, Nathan Hrovat and rookie elevation Brett Goodes to make his debut in 2013.

“We will bring in a first gamer, we are going to play young Lachie Hunter, which is terrific,” McCartney said.

“He’s been in great form and he’s the forth in that batch from that draft which we are really excited about, I think we’ve found another good player.”

Last week against Essendon’s VFL side Hunter was again a standout with 29 disposals, three goals, nine marks and nine tackles.

While a shift into the midfield is likely in future, the Western Jets recruit is excelling in his role in the forward line, where his vision and creativity have been impressive.

“I think he will be a midfielder in time, probably more suited to playing forward at the moment,” McCartney said.

“He’s very creative, he just understands the game and when the ball is near him, good things happen – so we are looking forward to him debuting and going from there.”

chef
20-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Great news.

KT31
20-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Brilliant, he has certainty been knocking at the door.
Good luck to him.
Do we start him as a sub or straight in to get out the nerves ?
Straight in for me.

bulldogtragic
20-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Go_Dogs
20-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Very happy for the young man, seems he's really put in some strong performances and very excited to see him debut.

AndrewP6
20-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Good luck to the young Fella

Eastdog
20-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Good luck Lachie Hunter. Hoping he has a great debut.

Greystache
20-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Good luck to the young man. He's been in outstanding form and has progressed extremely quickly since coming into the system, let's hope he has a long and successful career.

Maddog37
20-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Only Prudden to go from the last draft. Hope we see him soon too.

lemmon
20-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Has come on faster than we all expected I imagine, thought he was the 'project' type from the last draft but his performances have been great

Murphy'sLore
20-06-2013, 03:57 PM
What a great bunch of kids. Doesn't seem to be a dud among them. Very exciting news, and hope he does well on Saturday.

bornadog
20-06-2013, 03:58 PM
great Stuff, youngest player in the AFL.

bulldogtragic
20-06-2013, 03:59 PM
What a great bunch of kids. Doesn't seem to be a dud among them. Very exciting news, and hope he does well on Saturday.
Could be as good as the class of 99. Wouldn't that be nice!

Murphy'sLore
20-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Could be as good as the class of 99. Wouldn't that be nice!

Could be better than the class of 99!!

bulldogtragic
20-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Could be better than the class of 99!!
I suppose 99 did have Patty Wiggins.

KT31
20-06-2013, 04:22 PM
I suppose 99 did have Patty Wiggins.

According to Wiki, Patrick debuted as a 13 year old in Round 3, 1994.:)

F'scary
20-06-2013, 05:19 PM
In the footage I've seen of the VFL, he has plenty of skill. Impressed by the high possession count for an 18 yo. Could turn out to be a gun if that translates into the AFL.

whythelongface
20-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Great news. Good luck to Lachie. Would love to see him kick 3 goals on debut. No pressure on the lad :)

azabob
20-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Good luck to the young man. He's been in outstanding form and has progressed extremely quickly since coming into the system, let's hope he has a long and successful career.

Are you surprised how quickly he has progressed?

He obviously is listening and doing as the coaches ask.

There were concerns on this forum about his attitude last year.

westdog54
20-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Good luck to him.
Straight in for me.

Ditto.

Been a while since a young player banged down the door so fiercely for a game. Form has been unbelievable.

1eyedog
20-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Good Luck. Hope he gets his hands on it a bit and gets a few lace out early.

anfo27
20-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Great news & looking forward to getting my first glimpse of Lachie this Saturday.

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-06-2013, 06:22 PM

He comes with good breeding. Father, Mark was a fine player for the 'Dogs, whilst his mother is the sister of the McVeigh brothers. A good sign for the Club to introduce its 4th newcomer this year.

Greystache
20-06-2013, 07:58 PM
He comes with good breeding. Father, Mark was a fine player for the 'Dogs, whilst his mother is the sister of the McVeigh brothers. A good sign for the Club to introduce its 4th newcomer this year.

Not quite. His mother is the aunt of the McVeigh brothers. Her brother is their dad.

Greystache
20-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Are you surprised how quickly he has progressed?

He obviously is listening and doing as the coaches ask.

There were concerns on this forum about his attitude last year.

Not necessarily surprised, he had massive upside from an athletic perspective, but it's been pleasing how well he's adapted to the expectations of AFL footy.

The concerns over his attitude were mostly unfounded, but he was one of those Juniors that got by on talent and smarts rather than hard work. It seems he's combining both now.

Remi Moses
20-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Great news . He was impressive in all aspects last week

westbulldog
20-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Congratulations on your selection and good luck for a great career at the Dogs Lachie.

The bulldog tragician
20-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Good luck to Lachlan. Excited about his debut!

Colleen incidentally has credentials other than just mother/sister/aunt. She was an Australian international lacrosse representative and I think even a captain? Certainly an elite sporting pedigree for Lachlan .

Dry Rot
20-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Congrats to Hunter.

What was his old man like?

jeemak
20-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Congrats to Hunter.

Honest, and clever.

azabob
20-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Honest, and clever.

But unfortunately injury prone! Hamstrings, killed him.

For some reason he was my favourite player when I was young.

He was also very reliable.

Dry Rot
20-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Honest, and clever.

But unfortunately injury prone! Hamstrings, killed him.

For some reason he was my favourite player when I was young.

He was also very reliable.

Thanks.

Position? What current player (any club) is like him?

LostDoggy
20-06-2013, 10:45 PM
MacRae, Stringer, Hrovat and Hunter all in. Deserved and great drafting.

bulldogtragic
20-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Prudden must be feeling left out. Poor kid.

azabob
20-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Thanks.

I remember him as half back / back pocket.

Not sure who he is like in today's game.

jeemak
20-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks.

Reminded me a bit of Tim Callan, without the mistakes and a bit more creativity. But that just might be due to me only being between the ages of 10 and 16 when Hunter played for us so my memory is a touch hazy.

Nowadays there's not really any players like him as most that play in the back half that are the size he was are used more offensively.

westdog54
20-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Prudden must be feeling left out. Poor kid.

He'll get his chance.

If, by some quirk of fate, Daniel Pearce earns a recall, Prudden gets called up and Tory Dickson gets to full fitness, we could end up with our last 9 draftees all playing in the same team.

Yeah, ok, maybe not, but its kinda cool to think about

Remi Moses
21-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Mark Hunter forged out a solid career, even though his body failed him often.
Great form analyst by all accounts as well.
Gotta say without sounding disrespectful Lachie seems more athletic and skillfull than Dad.

always right
21-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Mark Hunter was a good, honest player.....nothing more, nothing less. Let's hope his son proves to be a couple of rungs higher. Being a left footer is a good start.

LostDoggy
21-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Good luck to him.
Straight in for me.

I'm of the belief that starting a debutant as the sub should be outlawed. If they don't have the tank to run the game out yet but we want to give them a run, sub them off.

I understand sometimes team needs dictate otherwise, but it should be avoided at all costs.

jeemak
21-06-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm of the belief that starting a debutant as the sub should be outlawed. If they don't have the tank to run the game out yet but we want to give them a run, sub them off.

I understand sometimes team needs dictate otherwise, but it should be avoided at all costs.

I would like to understand the science behind why you hold this view.

DragzLS1
21-06-2013, 02:10 PM
We have started most debutant's this season from the first siren, but can totally see why we would start a debutante as a sub.

lemmon
21-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Seems a similar type to sub off for Gia if he blows up. With no injuries it's a half forward off for a half forward, no structural change

Happy Days
21-06-2013, 02:14 PM

Because mega-stud Wallis had a bad first contest in his first game.

mighty_west
21-06-2013, 02:49 PM

I agree, a players first ever game should not be sitting on the pine for 2 and a half to 3 quarters imo, if they are selected to play, they should be ready to go.

Greystache
21-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Congrats to Hunter.

Negating defender with good skills and pace. At times played a tagging role further up the ground when the match up required. Under Joyce he went into the midfield when we were injury ravaged and picked up 30+ touches a couple of times (as acting captain). Would've played 200 games if not for a back injury as an 18 year old that lead to related hamstring injuries through out his adult career.

Modern day equivalent is probably Alan Toovey.

always right
21-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Negating defender with good skills and pace. At times played a tagging role further up the ground when the match up required. Under Joyce he went into the midfield when we were injury ravaged and picked up 30+ touches a couple of times (as acting captain). Would've played 200 games if not for a back injury as an 18 year old that lead to related hamstring injuries through out his adult career.

Modern day equivalent is probably Alan Toovey.

Yeah.....a right footed, shorter and slower version of Alan Toovey:)

LostDoggy
21-06-2013, 09:26 PM

Because it tells you nothing about how they've gone. They sit there for an hour, nerves running amok all the while, then come on for a quarter and a half, which is usually spent just trying to get themselves into the game.

I'd rather see them start, gain confidence and actually see for themselves the level required when they're fighting to breathe at half time and silently begging to be subbed. They can be better involved as the game unfolds rather than at a later period when the game is often decided already.

Dry Rot
21-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the info re Hunter's old man.

mighty_west
21-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Because it tells you nothing about how they've gone. They sit there for an hour, nerves running amok all the while, then come on for a quarter and a half, which is usually spent just trying to get themselves into the game.

I'd rather see them start, gain confidence and actually see for themselves the level required when they're fighting to breathe at half time and silently begging to be subbed. They can be better involved as the game unfolds rather than at a later period when the game is often decided already.

Spot on, plus you want your sub to come on as that impact player, something you'll rarely get imo from a first gamer.

LostDoggy
21-06-2013, 10:13 PM

Very pleasing.

LostDoggy
22-06-2013, 12:38 AM
Go get them Hunter!

bulldogtragic
22-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Not a bad start from young Lachie. Nice signs.

GVGjr
22-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Not a bad start from young Lachie. Nice signs.

A lot of work to do but good signs.

gohardorgohome
23-06-2013, 01:00 AM
I thought he did a few nice things. Missed a few easy goals but they will come.

SonofScray
23-06-2013, 01:11 AM
Good 1st game, though he missed an easy set shot.

I liked that he got into good positions to receive the footy from the HFF, a hard position to play early on in your career. Particularly with the way the ball stutters out of our back line.

He presents well, has a bag of tricks and really attacks the footy. We might have a very good player on our hands. I have nicknamed him Kingsley.

EasternWest
23-06-2013, 11:57 AM
I have nicknamed him Kingsley.

I like it.

Twodogs
23-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Good 1st game, though he missed an easy set shot.

I liked that he got into good positions to receive the footy from the HFF, a hard position to play early on in your career. Particularly with the way the ball stutters out of our back line.

He presents well, has a bag of tricks and really attacks the footy. We might have a very good player on our hands. I have nicknamed him Kingsley.

Good point about him playing on the HFF-hardest position on the ground to play well in. I thought Lachie looked really assured whenever he got the ball in his hands.

I spoke to his parents before the game last night. Mark is a fairly laidback character but you could tell how excited he was .

MrMahatma
23-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Prob should've had 3 goals. Experience will bring composure and the goals will follow. The fact he reads the play so well from day 1 is a great sign.

bornadog
23-06-2013, 03:34 PM
Fantastic debut for such a young player, some really good signs there.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Good signs, impressed.

Last year's draft looks like being an absolute belter.

bornadog
23-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Good signs, impressed.

Last year's draft looks like being an absolute belter.

Helps when you finish near the bottom of the ladder.

bulldogtragic
23-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Helps when you finish near the bottom of the ladder.
Then we will have another couple of good drafts, less the PP's that will get thrown around.

bornadog
23-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Then we will have another couple of good drafts, less the PP's that will get thrown around.

Personally, I don't think there will be any PPs this year.

LostDoggy
24-06-2013, 01:28 AM
Good point about him playing on the HFF-hardest position on the ground to play well in. I thought Lachie looked really assured whenever he got the ball in his hands.

I spoke to his parents before the game last night. Mark is a fairly laidback character but you could tell how excited he was .
I'm fairly laid back too, but if my son was drafted I'd birth a kitten.

Personally, I don't think there will be any PPs this year.

Hope not.

bornadog
24-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Love this stuff, how exciting for the young kid.

OlZ16HB2O3U

Sedat
25-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Hunter looked extremely comfortable out there at the highest level. Ran to the right spots, neat skills, decent pace - just looked like be belonged out there. I'm very encouraged by the development of all our ND selections from 2012 - even Prudden (prior to his injury) improved in leaps and bounds since he arrived at the club.

Dry Rot
26-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Hunter looked extremely comfortable out there at the highest level. Ran to the right spots, neat skills, decent pace - just looked like be belonged out there. I'm very encouraged by the development of all our ND selections from 2012 - even Prudden (prior to his injury) improved in leaps and bounds since he arrived at the club.

We know they are better quality young players, but is Macca's coaching also showing through with the young 'uns?

Twodogs
26-06-2013, 11:42 PM
We know they are better quality young players, but is Macca's coaching also showing through with the young 'uns?

Good question. Macca talks a bit about bringing in quality people. We certainly seem to get it right in he last draft and trade period. All the players we bought in appear to be solid citizens and a couple of them can really play.

If Prudden can snag a game before the end of the year then all he players we drafted/traded into he club at he end of last year will have played senior footy. That's a fair effort.

Go_Dogs
27-06-2013, 12:19 PM
If Prudden can snag a game before the end of the year then all he players we drafted/traded into he club at he end of last year will have played senior footy. That's a fair effort.

It'd be a huge effort, don't think there would be too many other examples where 9 new players have played in one season at an established club?

bornadog
19-08-2013, 04:24 PM
I am really impressed with this kid, he has contributed in every game he has played this year. 10 disposals in the last quarter with a couple of ripper passes to create some goals.

Does anyone think he has put on weight and bulked up since the start of the season?

EasternWest
19-08-2013, 04:30 PM
I am really impressed with this kid, he has contributed in every game he has played this year. 10 disposals in the last quarter with a couple of ripper passes to create some goals.

Does anyone think he has put on weight and bulked up since the start of the season?

Yes I do.

How was that hanger? I didn't know he had it in him. And the pass after it was even better.

He's just so smart.

Mofra
19-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Was sitting near Mark - looked every bit the beaming, proud dad. A few people yelled out some encouragement to him "well raised Mark" - and in the following couple of minutes he kicks a ripper into Wallis inside F50, then takes that hanger.

Youngest bloke on an AFL list too (Colquohoun from Port is younger but is a rookie).

azabob
19-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Yes I do.

How was that hanger? I didn't know he had it in him. And the pass after it was even better.

He's just so smart.

That pass was insanely good. Had Dangerfield running full tilt at him but waited till the last moment before spotting and passing to Wallis.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-08-2013, 01:04 AM
He can seriously play, and that isn't taking into account his agility/skill.

Remi Moses
20-08-2013, 02:52 AM
What a bargain at pick 49..

azabob
20-08-2013, 07:31 AM
He can seriously play, and that isn't taking into account his agility/skill.

The best part of it all - he wants the ball in his hands.

LostDoggy
20-08-2013, 07:47 AM
There's just so much you can do with a surname like Hunter. Cheer squad have it easy with Lachie.

always right
20-08-2013, 09:05 AM

At the recent East West function both Hunter and Stringer told the audience that they had actually lost weight since joining the club. That's not to say they haven't got stronger. McCrae on the other hand said he has put on 7kg and the club planned for him to put on another 6kg or so over the next couple of years once he gets used to carrying the extra weight.

stefoid
20-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Seems like every other draftee is compared to Stevie J these days, but I genuinely see some similarities - SJ has a lot of tricks, but his defining characteristic for me is the willingness to hold onto the ball under pressure and execute the most damaging option available - I see the same thing with Hunter.

(not to mention both being cocky SOBs)

LostDoggy
20-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Yes I do.

He's just so smart.

I seen him play for the jets against gippy power last year and he took an absolute screamer from a standing vertical jump. The kid has some serious springs

BornInDroopSt'54
20-08-2013, 11:18 AM
I went to one preseason training and got my nude nut sunburnt. Lachie was paired with Macrae and beat him time and again, finally outmarking him despite the height difference. I suspect he has his mother's skills added to his father's toughness and nous. I'm excited.

bulldogtragic
20-08-2013, 11:33 AM
I went to one preseason training and got my nude nut sunburnt. Lachie was paired with Macrae and beat him time and again, finally outmarking him despite the height difference. I suspect he has his mother's skills added to his father's toughness and nous. I'm excited.
Hopefully not spikes attitude and rationalisation skills.

Greystache
20-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Hopefully not spikes attitude and rationalisation skills.

Or Jarrad's hairline!

Twodogs
20-08-2013, 02:52 PM
They had a drill at training today. It was a competitive handball game so the really important positions were the guys at the head of he chains shooting off he first handball or recieving the ball at the end. One team had Murph and Gia. The other had Stevens and Hunter.

Lachie has really shot up he charts.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-08-2013, 03:19 PM
At the recent East West function both Hunter and Stringer told the audience that they had actually lost weight since joining the club. That's not to say they haven't got stronger. McCrae on the other hand said he has put on 7kg and the club planned for him to put on another 6kg or so over the next couple of years once he gets used to carrying the extra weight.

Improving your body composition can make phenomenal changes, all the while the number on the weight scales has gone down. Dropping 3-5kgs of body fat and adding 3kgs of muscle is an incredible difference.

LostDoggy
20-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Improving your body composition can make phenomenal changes, all the while the number on the weight scales has gone down. Dropping 3-5kgs of body fat and adding 3kgs of muscle is an incredible difference.

Yeah this, Tom Hawkins is a similar weight to when he started for example but he has dropped a lot of body fat and bulked up in muscle mass

Maddog37
20-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Is Hunter a touch slow?

azabob
20-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Is Hunter a touch slow?

Not sure. On limited exposure he seems to have time more often than not. Doesn't answer your question though.

always right
20-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Is Hunter a touch slow?

He certainly looks to lack a yard but he has the advantage of being a left footer. Both he and Libba appear to have time to dispose of the ball that most left footers seem to have. Hasn't affected Sam Mitchell who coincidentally kicks on his left foot more often than his "preferred" right.

KT31
20-08-2013, 05:56 PM
He certainly looks to lack a yard but he has the advantage of being a left footer. Both he and Libba appear to have time to dispose of the ball that most left footers seem to have. Hasn't affected Sam Mitchell who coincidentally kicks on his left foot more often than his "preferred" right.

Not sure if he is a touch slow or he looked slower because he turned into trouble a couple of times.
Certainly has a good football head, is very skilful and doesn't seem to panic, he is going to be a great fit for us.

bornadog
20-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Do you think Hunter coming on for Young changed the game:)

chef
20-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Is Hunter a touch slow?

He's not quick, but he makes up for it in footy smarts. Moves a lot like Sam Mitchell IMO.

azabob
20-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Do you think Hunter coming on for Young changed the game:)

Interesting discussion point. What is for certain is he got involved right away. It certainly helped.

Wonder if he is the sub more often than not because of fitness or they are trying to keep his feet on the ground, so to speak.

bornadog
20-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Interesting discussion point. What is for certain is he got involved right away. It certainly helped.

Wonder if he is the sub more often than not because of fitness or they are trying to keep his feet on the ground, so to speak.

The match ups were certainly changed, and I think Addo went to the backline as well.

azabob
20-08-2013, 06:12 PM
The match ups were certainly changed, and I think Addo went to the backline as well.

Yes he did which gave us more creativity up forward.

mighty_west
20-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Is Hunter a touch slow?

From interviews he seems pretty well switched on to me. :D

Greystache
20-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Is Hunter a touch slow?

As a comparison he tested quicker than Dayle Garlett at the draft camp and some say he's as quick as anyone to play the game.

He also tested quicker than McCrae, Stringer, and Hrovat.

Dry Rot
20-08-2013, 09:14 PM
So which mature AFL player do you reckon Hunter most likely will turn out like?

Go_Dogs
20-08-2013, 10:06 PM

Good question. Really hard to compare him to most current players. Perhaps Christensen at Geelong might be a good one, but then again, maybe not.

A tough player with great vision and above average disposal who also has strong aerial ability. Hmmmm.

Anyone else game to make a nomination?

boydogs
20-08-2013, 10:22 PM

Alan Didak?

LostDoggy
20-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Good question. Really hard to compare him to most current players. Perhaps Christensen at Geelong might be a good one, but then again, maybe not.

A tough player with great vision and above average disposal who also has strong aerial ability. Hmmmm.

Brad Johnson :D

Maddog37
20-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Jamie Elliot type maybe.

KT31
20-08-2013, 10:59 PM
Mark Hunter.:D
Oh you meant in the football department.;)

comrade
20-08-2013, 11:04 PM
As a comparison he tested quicker than Dayle Garlett at the draft camp and some say he's as quick as anyone to play the game.

He also tested quicker than McCrae, Stringer, and Hrovat.

I don't think he trusts his pace yet. He tries to turn opponents around rather than bursting away. Experience will fix that.

The Doctor
20-08-2013, 11:11 PM

This might seem stupid but the player I compare him too is Guy McKenna. Guy played off half back and played the quarterback style of game, finding space, setting up play, scheming, using his footy smarts etc. Hunter to me is similar except he does his setting up in the forward half making him a quarterforward! He is a very clever footballer who thinks ahead.

Scorlibo
21-08-2013, 12:14 AM
I can't stop seeing Milne in the way he moves. Not as quick but with the same agility and run.

Greystache
21-08-2013, 01:04 AM
I see him as similar to Gia but with better athletic ability.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-08-2013, 10:00 AM
He reminds me of the Swans Daniel Hannebery.

BulldogBelle
21-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Dare I say.... I think he has a touch of Aker about him with the creativity and vision that he displays!

Go_Dogs
21-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Dare I say.... I think he has a touch of Aker about him with the creativity and vision that he displays!

This may be the closest one yet. Good comparison, I can certainly see that.