PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gordon would welcome Kennett to the Bulldogs Board

bornadog
21-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Peter on 774 this morning said he would welcome Jeff to join our board and help us grow the club in the Western suburbs. (but not as President ;) )

What do you think?

AndrewP6
21-06-2013, 11:44 AM
To paraphrase Terry Wallace, I'd spew up if that came to pass. Kennett's no Bulldog, of that I'm certain.

KT31
21-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Not a lot that would make me question my membership, this would certainly be one.

always right
21-06-2013, 11:54 AM
To paraphrase Terry Wallace, I'd spew up if that came to pass. Kennett's no Bulldog, of that I'm certain.

What if he managed to get rid of the coach for you and brought back Rocket?:)

LostDoggy
21-06-2013, 11:57 AM

Is it absolutely necessary for a board member to be a Bulldogs supporter?

AndrewP6
21-06-2013, 12:02 PM
What if he managed to get rid of the coach for you and brought back Rocket?:)

Hahaha well.... no, I'd still disapprove. :) I think rocket will take the Melbourne gig anyway.

AndrewP6
21-06-2013, 12:06 PM

Yes IMO it is. They've got to have the club's best interests at heart, I don't believe that's possible when your allegiances lay elsewhere - or when you'd sell the club in an instant, if it made good business sense. Obviously as one board member this wouldn't be the case, but I don't trust the man as far as I could throw him (which wouldn't be far)

SlimPickens
21-06-2013, 12:07 PM

Wouldnt have thought so, a bulldog member yes but a support no.

KT31
21-06-2013, 12:10 PM

I don't think so.
No different than getting a coach or player who grew up supporting another team.
IMO it can be a positive, they would not have the blinkers on and will bring a different perspective.
Just not in this case.

SlimPickens
21-06-2013, 12:14 PM
I don't think so.
No different than getting a coach or player who grew up supporting another team.
IMO it can be a positive, they would not have the blinkers on and will bring a different perspective.
Just not in this case.

This ^^....just not Jeff.

LostDoggy
21-06-2013, 12:17 PM
I don't think so.
Just not in this case.

Really good point. Having one experienced board member who doesn't support the Club could be a fantastic asset for the board overall.

Out of curiosity, is it Jeff's allegiance to Hawthorn that's turning most people off or are there other reasons?

AndrewP6
21-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Out of curiosity, is it Jeff's allegiance to Hawthorn that's turning most people off or are there other reasons?

That, and my work as a teacher. I was in high school when Kennett went on his "We'll save money by closing a whole lot of schools" rampage. The man is a pig.

Happy Days
21-06-2013, 12:32 PM
I imagine him and Gordon...not getting along

LostDoggy
21-06-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm going to buck the trend and say, yes, welcome aboard, but it really does depend on the circumstances and conditions put in place. If he's coming to give of his experience and knowledge — whatever you think of him or his politics, the man once ran the entire state — then it'd be great, and it wouldn't matter whether he was a Bulldogs supporter or not.

But I'd limit his influence and clout where conflicts of interest arose, for example, any dealings with Hawthorn, etc.

BornInDroopSt'54
21-06-2013, 12:49 PM
That, and my work as a teacher. I was in high school when Kennett went on his "We'll save money by closing a whole lot of schools" rampage. The man is a pig.

I was in the same position but not yet permanent when Kennett sold off the tech schools and derailed many teaching careers, mine included. I hated him.
However I believe he is someone who has strong beliefs and the ability to organise and get things done. He could be a big asset to the dogs if he works in our best interest which I believe he could. The big thing is that Peter Gordon is welcoming him publicly. He would not do this if he, Peter, hadn't consulted with the club. He clearly sees benefit for the club and does not fear a pig or lack of harmony in Kennett working for the Bulldogs.
So I would welcome Kennett.

AndrewP6
21-06-2013, 12:53 PM
I was in the same position but not yet permanent when Kennett sold off the tech schools and derailed many teaching careers, mine included. I hated him.
However I believe he is someone who has strong beliefs and the ability to organise and get things done. He could be a big asset to the dogs if he works in our best interest which I believe he could. The big thing is that Peter Gordon is welcoming him publicly. He would not do this if he, Peter, hadn't consulted with the club. He clearly sees benefit for the club and does not fear a pig or lack of harmony in Kennett working for the Bulldogs.
So I would welcome Kennett.

Fair enough. I for one would question my membership.

Bulldog Joe
21-06-2013, 01:01 PM
I see no problem.

What we want in every facet is the best for the position.

Kennett has immense experience and would be invaluable on the board.

Could be interesting as there is another high profile politician, with strong allegiance to the Bulldogs, who just may be looking for something else to do very soon.

whythelongface
21-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Imagine:

Julia Gillard as our No. 1 ticket holder and
Jeff Kennett as a Board Member

and here I was thinking we wanted to build our membership base.

Bulldog Joe
21-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Imagine:

You do need to embrace both sides of politics.

There will definitely be members from all political persuasions, probably even the Greens.

Daughter of the West
21-06-2013, 01:15 PM
I don't like Kennett at all, and he shoots his mouth off far too oftern for my liking. Thanks, but no thanks.

Maddog37
21-06-2013, 01:24 PM

You fair dinkum Andrew?

jeemak
21-06-2013, 01:25 PM
If we've not learned from the Aker saga, we should pack up and go home. You don't let narcissists into your club twice.

Jeff Kennett does not have the capacity to not indulge his desires to be heard and if it suited him, rather than the club, he would have scant regard for its well being when passing comment particularly on matters that don't involve him, or in which he has no expertise.

I'll leave his politics out of it.

Maddog37
21-06-2013, 01:27 PM
If we've not learned from the Aker saga, we should pack up and go home. You don't let narcissists into your club twice.

Jeff Kennett does not have the capacity to not indulge his desires to be heard and if it suited him, rather than the club, he would have scant regard for its well being when passing comment particularly on matters that don't involve him, or in which he has no expertise.

Nice post Jeemak.

bornadog
21-06-2013, 01:32 PM

What if he brought in Millions of dollars and grew the club massively like the Tassie Hawks deal?

(Ps: I am with you, but have to ask the question)

F'scary
21-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Really good point. Having one experienced board member who doesn't support the Club could be a fantastic asset for the board overall.

Yes in my case. Melbourne would have been insane to let him run their show. We would have had the Melbourne Hawks faster than you could say "conflict of interest."

jeemak
21-06-2013, 01:38 PM
What if he brought in Millions of dollars and grew the club massively like the Tassie Hawks deal?

How many Tassie deals are out there?

I appreciate there might be potential for revenues to be generated, though should that take precedence over principals?

AndrewP6
21-06-2013, 01:42 PM
You fair dinkum Andrew?

Yep. This says it:

Jeff Kennett is only interested in Jeff Kennett.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2013, 02:17 PM
I have some faith in Gordo. If he wants him, he wants him for a reason. Like George Michael declared "I've gotta have faith".

But then again he did request to "waking him up before the go-go". So now I'm torn again.

Twodogs
21-06-2013, 02:17 PM

I'd rather Alan Stockdale. He made Kennet look good.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2013, 02:19 PM
I'd rather Alan Stockdale. He made Kennet look good.
Stockas is President of the Federal Liberal Party. Would make for fun with Jules.

Remi Moses
21-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Hmmm no thanks!

Remi Moses
21-06-2013, 03:03 PM

End of the day Jeff publicly advocated less Melbourne teams.
He has some hide trying to involve himself in Melbournes affairs.

LostDoggy
21-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Horrified to hear this. I'm having enough trouble staying loyal to the cause with expansion teams, annual rule meddling and the fixture inequities. Having that *!*!*!*! on the board of my club would be the proverbial straw.

I use Kennett and his ambassador role for depression awareness as an excellent example of irony.

Shudder at the thought. And I like PG - but I'm not with him on this one.

chef
21-06-2013, 03:26 PM
If it makes us a better team then im all for it. Can't believe this or Wayne Campbells possible appointment
would make people question their loyalty to the Dogs.

Greystache
21-06-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm no great admirer of Jeff, and I don't doubt that as some point or another he'll say something stupid in the media that will bring unwanted attention, but I can also see the merits of what he could bring to the board as well.

Someone with his considerable profile and political connections could be invaluable to the club. For example as a board member he could be allocated the Edgewater development as his project to manage, and I don't doubt for a second that the never ending red tape holding it back would be eliminated should Jeff step into the equation. Other bureaucratic issues affecting the club could also come under his portfolio, as could sponsorship development

It's probably an unlikely scenario but I think he could do considerable good for a club like ours if he has the desire.

1eyedog
21-06-2013, 04:10 PM
No problem having Kennet on the board. He's changed a lot since his poli days and his work with Beyond Blue is second to none. He seems incredibly passionate about his role there. Smart man, big network.

dadsgirl16
21-06-2013, 05:14 PM
No no no !!!!

firstdogonthemoon
21-06-2013, 06:03 PM
No. And also no.

What this club needs is a divisive, outspoken board member. It needs a board member who will speak out and contradict the president so the media story will be about the board and not the playing group. It needs a board member who will call for the sacking of the coach because it is a tuesday. It needs a board member who is polarising and well hated by many in the community (and for good reason).

So no.

Ghost Dog
21-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Doesn't have the passport to cross the westgate.

The bulldog tragician
21-06-2013, 07:37 PM
No. And also no.

What this club needs is a divisive, outspoken board member. It needs a board member who will speak out and contradict the president so the media story will be about the board and not the playing group. It needs a board member who will call for the sacking of the coach because it is a tuesday. It needs a board member who is polarising and well hated by many in the community (and for good reason).

So no.

In total agreement First Dog.

anfo27
21-06-2013, 07:43 PM
If it makes us a better team then im all for it. Can't believe this or Wayne Campbells possible appointment

Agreed Chef.

MrMahatma
21-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Couldn't name the current board.

He'd be fine by me.

Before I Die
21-06-2013, 08:21 PM

I would stop following football. I could not support the club if he was on the board and i would not support any other club. No, I am not joking, I do feel this strongly and I love footy.

GetDimmaBack
21-06-2013, 08:42 PM

Yeah, I was there at the time too, Andrew. Absolute imbecile. Not only did he close schools, ruin careers and divide communities, he just smiled when people got (justifiably) upset, and said it didn't concern him that peoples' lives were damaged.

To watch him grump, sook, cry and drop his lip when a free was paid against the Hawks was more than ironic. "I can destroy a few communities and grin about it, but I just have to spit it when my side gets penalised.". Front running bully with limited intelligence.

We all see the irony of him running Beyond Blue. Depress the state, then run the operation that tries to cure them! Classic.

Having said that, Kennett on the board may bring some good, but at what expense?

Dry Rot
21-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Imagine:

Won't be an issue after September 14.

Dry Rot
21-06-2013, 09:33 PM
If he's fair dinkum, bring it on. Brings a lot of good to the table eg business networks for sponsorship

LostDoggy
21-06-2013, 09:34 PM
How many Tassie deals are out there?

I appreciate there might be potential for revenues to be generated, though should that take precedence over principals?

Principles don't pay the bills.

Peter Gordon
21-06-2013, 11:08 PM
Hmmm.

Didn't anyone see this as just a bit of hilarious light-hearted banter? Guess I need to sharpen up or my dream of developing a cult following for the bulldogs on 774 and replacing Dan Lonergan might be shattered.

I did at least think FDOTM might see a whole new world of cartoon opportunities in the Kennett idea. Oh well.....

bulldogtragic
21-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Hmmm.

Didn't anyone see this as just a bit of hilarious light-hearted banter? Guess I need to sharpen up or my dream of developing a cult following for the bulldogs on 774 and replacing Dan Lonergan might be shattered.

I did at least think FDOTM might see a whole new world of cartoon opportunities in the Kennett idea. Oh well.....
Sure PG. You say that now :)

Next it will be congratulating Ross Oakley for his OAM for attempted murder :)

AndrewP6
21-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Hmmm.

Our Bulldogs are no laughing matter :D

Remi Moses
21-06-2013, 11:48 PM
If he's fair dinkum, bring it on. Brings a lot of good to the table eg business networks for sponsorship

Yes Jeff Kennett, the man who wanted Clarkson sacked after round 1!
Hawthorn have won a 11 in a row since!
Jeff Kennett, " I'll be seen and not heard":eek:
Jeff Kennett , the person who advocates less teams playing out of the state of Victoria
The bloke suffers "relevance deprivation".
There are plenty of Business savvy types who don't advocate teams like ours die!!
Footnote. Kennett also strongly supported his OWN TEAM cease to existence by merging with Melbourne

bornadog
22-06-2013, 12:05 AM
Hmmm.

Yes, I put up the thread to see what the reaction would be. ;) All very interesting.

gohardorgohome
22-06-2013, 03:25 AM
I have a great respect for Jeff Kennett. I think he revitalized Victoria after a period of gross mismanagement.

He has connections in high places and I would welcome him into the bulldog family.

Remi Moses
22-06-2013, 04:30 AM
I have a great respect for Jeff Kennett. I think he revitalized Victoria after a period of gross mismanagement.

He has connections in high places and I would welcome him into the bulldog family.

So you'd bring someone in who has a view your football club shouldn't exist?
Please....:rolleyes:

gohardorgohome
22-06-2013, 09:03 AM
So you'd bring someone in who has a view your football club shouldn't exist?
Please....:rolleyes:

Where has he expressed this view? He is a member of our club.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jeff-kennett-reveals-he-is-a-melbourne-member-as-he-renews-push-for-presidency/story-fni5f91a-1226663097111

KT31
22-06-2013, 09:38 AM

Can't imagine we would lose members over appointing Campbell, for my mind I would look elsewhere though.

On Kennett, I typed up a lengthy rebottle then thought better to not post it.
Wether its your political, football orientated, his massive ego or that @#$%^% jacket it does not matter.
Kennett does not belong at the Dog's.

AndrewP6
22-06-2013, 11:49 AM

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jeff-kennett-reveals-he-is-a-melbourne-member-as-he-renews-push-for-presidency/story-fni5f91a-1226663097111

Well, it says he "had been", so not necessarily now. He was probably paid to do it ;)

BornInDroopSt'54
22-06-2013, 12:43 PM
.Dead thread. We were taken for monkeys.

Ghost Dog
22-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Does any other president of the AFL communicate with their fans this way?
I love this club.

Remi Moses
22-06-2013, 02:31 PM

He has advocated loudly and often that there are to many clubs in Melbourne.
Wanted north to merge with Melbourne! Then he wanted Melbourne to move to the Gold Coast.
Is it any wonder Melbourne gave him the cold shoulder?
Our club maybe should look at Oakley on the board also John Elliott, and why not look at Ian Collins while we're at it!
Fair Dinkum

gohardorgohome
22-06-2013, 02:37 PM
Wanted north to merge with Melbourne! Then he wanted Melbourne to move to the Gold Coast.
Our club maybe should look at Oakley on the board also John Elliott, and why not look at Ian Collins while we're at it!
Fair Dinkum

Can you provide an example of this? I'd be interested to read about it.

LostDoggy
22-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Yes, I put up the thread to see what the reaction would be. ;) All very interesting.

Very mischievous BAD! Me = hook, line & sinker ...

bornadog
23-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Very mischievous BAD! Me = hook, line & sinker ...

sorry :D

firstdogonthemoon
23-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Trolled by our very own president! Outrageous!

This is what happens when you respond to a report of an interview in a post rather than listening to the actual interview.

Obviously it isn't my fault and the only option is to call for President Gordon to resign immediately!

I am happy to take over.

Before I Die
23-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I got to express publicly my utter contempt for Jeff K, so I guess it wasn't a complete washout :D

LostDoggy
24-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Fair Dinkum

Don't be silly now.

Seriously though, can we just refer to that bloke I bolder as IC? Reading his name adversely affects my blood pressure.

Remi Moses
24-06-2013, 02:12 AM

I don't whether you're implying that I'm fibbing about this.
I'll say it again , Jeff Kennett believes the state of Victoria cannot sustain 10 clubs.
If you haven't got a viable profitable club you should cease to exist.

gohardorgohome
24-06-2013, 09:01 AM
I don't whether you're implying that I'm fibbing about this.
I'll say it again , Jeff Kennett believes the state of Victoria cannot sustain 10 clubs.
If you haven't got a viable profitable club you should cease to exist.

Provide some evidence of this. You can't just say I think someone believes something.

I could just say that I think you support Collingwood, but I wouldn't be that cruel.

Twodogs
24-06-2013, 02:01 PM

Provide some evidence of this. You can't just say I think someone believes something.

I could just say that I think you support Collingwood, but I wouldn't be that cruel.

I cant find the original article but the byline says it appeared in The Age on 29/5/2007 and was written by Jake Niall:

Kennett said he was among those who had long argued that 10 clubs was too many for the Victorian population to sustain, tying the financial health of Victorian clubs to its lack of premiership success.

From http://www.adelaideclubs.com.au/adelaide-clubs-articles/2007/5/29/vic-clubs-in-danger-kennett/

Remi Moses
24-06-2013, 04:03 PM
I cant find the original article but the byline says it appeared in The Age on 29/5/2007 and was written by Jake Niall:

From http://www.adelaideclubs.com.au/adelaide-clubs-articles/2007/5/29/vic-clubs-in-danger-kennett/

Thanks . If he didn't say it I was going to follow Liverpool.:p
Looking forward to an apology

Remi Moses
24-06-2013, 04:05 PM

Collingwood don't advocate we should be out of the league.

gohardorgohome
24-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Well researched it made your argument a lot more credible.

BulldogBelle
27-06-2013, 01:08 AM
Kennett ......... holy hell, gotta draw the line somehwere :(

BulldogBelle
27-06-2013, 01:18 AM

What, so he was only joking?

AndrewP6
27-06-2013, 01:29 AM
What, so he was only joking?

Hahaha....take a read back through the thread, including El Presidente's own post.

BulldogBelle
27-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Yes, I did ........ maybe comprehension fail - is that the real P Gordon?

bornadog
27-06-2013, 10:09 AM
Yes, I did ........ maybe comprehension fail - is that the real P Gordon?

Yes it is.

The Pie Man
27-06-2013, 01:11 PM
:)

Winks don't translate that well on radio (think Homer winking on the phone to Mr Burns when saying 'I quit')

BulldogBelle
27-06-2013, 04:32 PM
Good to hear it was a joke, someone on Facebook was passing it on as if serious. I did correct them.......

Chicago1
27-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Hmmm.

Guess I need to sharpen up or my dream of developing a cult following for the bulldogs on 774 ...

I, too, tried to develop a cult following for the Bulldogs during my 774 stint. Well, we did get to a record of 34,842 members during my time on 774. How are you doing?;)

Peter Gordon
28-06-2013, 07:51 PM
I, too, tried to develop a cult following for the Bulldogs during my 774 stint. Well, we did get to a record of 34,842 members during my time on 774. How are you doing?;)

about 83% as well as you at first glance........(factoring out confounding factors like complimentary and life memberships and people who join up to the Club for reasons unconnected with any radio shows;) although, if you claim the current membership are all still there as a result of the cult following you developed back then, then I would have to concede I've been a catastrophic failure.

Maybe I should sing more.....Anyone got any suggestions for me????

Bulldog4life
28-06-2013, 07:55 PM
about 83% as well as you at first glance........(factoring out confounding factors like complimentary and life memberships and people who join up to the Club for reasons unconnected with any radio shows;) although, if you claim the current membership are all still there as a result of the cult following you developed back then, then I would have to concede I've been a catastrophic failure.

I would like to hear our theme song more.;)

Chicago1
29-06-2013, 09:23 AM

1. Please do not sing. We want more members, not fewer. Sorry, someone had to say it.
2. Perhaps flying in an overseas guest once a year for a match might allow the club to show its gratitude to members who follow the club from soooooo far away and for soooooo many years. I'm sure your radio audience would find that a most gallant and generous offer.Just a thought.:)
3. Challenge another club President to a dance off during the show. That, of course must be put on YouTube. I would have suggested a sing off, but, well,(see No.1).

I shall spend more of my weekend thinking up suggestions.

Go Doggies!

Chicago1
30-06-2013, 08:46 AM
2. Perhaps flying in an overseas guest once a year for a match might allow the club to show its gratitude to members who follow the club from soooooo far away and for soooooo many years. I'm sure your radio audience would find that a most gallant and generous offer.Just a thought.:)

Errr.... maybe do that next year after seeing Saturday's result. :(