PDA

View Full Version : Brennan

The Doctor
11-10-2007, 07:18 AM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22565726-11088,00.html

This would be a major coup in my view and would give us one of the most brilliant forward lines in the comp. My fingers are crossed.

MrMahatma
11-10-2007, 07:41 AM
PLEASE!

I don't want to lose Jordy, but if it meant we got Brennan, I'd be happy with that.

With the ruck sured up for a few years, getting Brennan up forward would make us ready to climb the table IMO.

GVGjr
11-10-2007, 08:40 AM
Well called a few weeks back Doc.

Whilst Brennan isn't a power forward in the stricktest sense (Brown, Richo etc) he would suit Eade plans as a very mobile marking CHF.

I suppose pick 5 would have to be ponied up?

It's concerning that Brennan hasn't been sighted and didn't even attend the Lions B&F

Raw Toast
11-10-2007, 09:24 AM
The Age reports that the Dons are trying to get Brennan to come to them in the psd. FWIW I think we'd be almost certain to pounce on him then. Might also mean that Brisbane is prepared to accept a lesser deal for him than pick 5.

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/dons-seek-brennan/2007/10/10/1191695990905.html

LostDoggy
11-10-2007, 09:31 AM
There is no way Brennan is worth Pick 5 or any first round pick.

Second round pick, yes.

It appears the prospect of recruiting a big bodied forward is off the agenda. Are we right and every other team wrong?

bornadog
11-10-2007, 09:36 AM
There is no way Brennan is worth Pick 5 or any first round pick.

Second round pick, yes.

It appears the prospect of recruiting a big bodied forward is off the agenda. Are we right and every other team wrong?

How about Hahn plus a second round pick? Would that interest Brisbane?

The Underdog
11-10-2007, 09:41 AM
I would of thought that if we get pick 16 or 18 for McMahon then that might be enough to get him. Certainly more than Essendon are likely to be able to offer, pick wise at least.
I'd take him over Damon White any day of the week though.

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Very, very interesting

Hes an intriguing talent - seems to have major concentration issues

I'll be very interested to see what happens although my suspicion is nothing

LostDoggy
11-10-2007, 09:59 AM
seems to have major concentration issues

Our spine can be:

Brennan - McDougall - Minson - Williams - Harris

LOL is that not the most explosive mix of unpredictable players. Its enough to give supporters nightmares.

bornadog
11-10-2007, 09:59 AM
I would of thought that if we get pick 16 or 18 for McMahon then that might be enough to get him. Certainly more than Essendon are likely to be able to offer, pick wise at least.
I'd take him over Damon White any day of the week though.

If that is the case, how about we keep Hahn and McMahon and give Brisbane pick 22.

The Underdog
11-10-2007, 10:22 AM
If that is the case, how about we keep Hahn and McMahon and give Brisbane pick 22.

Then what do we give Adelaide for Hudson? We still have to find a 2nd rounder to give them. As it appears Power is going to be worth a 3rd rounder from North, i don't know where else a 2nd round pick will come from if we keep Jordy and Mitch

The Underdog
11-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Very, very interesting

Hes an intriguing talent - seems to have major concentration issues

I'll be very interested to see what happens although my suspicion is nothing

I agree, I'd imagine Essendon are a chance and that we'd be keen to get him, but doing a trade by tomorrow arvo might be a bit tight.

Go_Dogs
11-10-2007, 10:30 AM
North: 2nd Round Pick -> Dogs
Dogs: 3/4th Round Pick + Power -> North

Dogs: McMahon -> Power
Power: Pick 16 -> Dogs

Dogs: Pick 16 -> Lions
Lions: Brennan -> Dogs

Dogs: North's 2nd Round -> Crows
Crows: Hudson -> Dogs

Dogs: Pick 60+ -> Cats
Cats: Callan -> Dogs

We'd end up with Brennan for the pick we receive for McMahon (probably about a fair trade imo, both have potential 'champion' upside still), be able to satisfy the Crows with North's second round pick to gain Hudson, get Callan as we proposed, quite cheaply.

It could happen.

I'm still in the keep McMahon boat, but if it meant we could capture Brennan, whom I agree would look very good in our side, I'd be reasonably more prepared to accept that outcome.

Let's see what the next 2 days have in store for us.

Dry Rot
11-10-2007, 10:47 AM
I think North are getting ripped off there.

Go_Dogs
11-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Not really. If we traded them our third round pick they are getting power and only losing about 6 spots in the draft.

Templeton31
11-10-2007, 11:29 AM
what about a 2nd rounder plus swap of 1st rounds with Brisbane i.e.

Dogs ==> Pick 5, 16 (from Port for Jordy)
Lions ==> Brennan, Pick 7

for those draft-heads would moving from Pick 5 to 7 be a real disaster? and also would it interest Lions? Is Brennan worth the extra 1st round swap?

LostDoggy
11-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Richmond have interest in McMahon, no-one else at the moment.

We can give up Pick 22, which is better than Essendon's pick 23 but i dont think we'll get away with just that, especially when we might end up using 22 for Hudson.

I would love to see Brennan at the club, i think his best footy is ahead of him and it would be a great pickup. Defenitely not worth Pick 5 though, so there will have to be another club involved.

Pick 5 or 7 is all good, wouldnt make much difference, but we dont want to lose a top 10 pick in this draft, we're only losing 2 positions and if we can get Brennan..yeah its worth it.

Topdog
11-10-2007, 11:54 AM
I think we can get him for pick 22. Essendon never like to give up a players worth and Brennan is another guy that is out of contract.

99% that Jordan is going now if this report is true.

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Not really. If we traded them our third round pick they are getting power and only losing about 6 spots in the draft.

Interesting prospective trade combo macca

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2007, 12:01 PM
what about a 2nd rounder plus swap of 1st rounds with Brisbane i.e.

Dogs ==> Pick 5, 16 (from Port for Jordy)
Lions ==> Brennan, Pick 7

for those draft-heads would moving from Pick 5 to 7 be a real disaster? and also would it interest Lions? Is Brennan worth the extra 1st round swap?

I see that as too high a price,

I dont know enough about the draft, and the way Clayton does things he knows exactly who he wants.

If it were my decision #5 would be untouchable in any deal

LostDoggy
11-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Just reading..

Richmond are happy to part with a second round pick to get McMahon

Pick 19 i assume. Now if we can get this deal done we can offer 19 to get Brennan, 22 to Hudson :D

The Coon Dog
11-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Just reading..

Richmond are happy to part with a second round pick to get McMahon

Pick 19 i assume. Now if we can get this deal done we can offer 19 to get Brennan, 22 to Hudson :D

Do Richmond have pick #18 & #19? Carlton get a priority at #1, then it's ladder order #2 - #17. Then Richmond receive a priority pick at #18 (for winning 4 games or less THIS season) & their 2nd round pick at #19.

I'd prefer to deal with Port & get pick #16. Give Richmond what they deserve, STUFF ALL!

GVGjr
11-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Do Richmond have pick #18 & #19? Carlton get a priority at #1, then it's ladder order #2 - #17. Then Richmond receive a priority pick at #18 (for winning 4 games or less THIS season) & their 2nd round pick at #19.

I'd prefer to deal with Port & get pick #16. Give Richmond what they deserve, STUFF ALL!

The Tigers have their priority pick in the 2nd round so have 18 and 19. The Blues have pick 20.

G-Mo77
11-10-2007, 01:03 PM
I've just seen to many very poor games from Brennan to get excited about getting him through a trade in some way.

On his day he is great, but when he is off your better off having me out on the ground and unfortunatlly his bad days seem to come around to often for my likings.

bornadog
11-10-2007, 01:14 PM
I've just seen to many very poor games from Brennan to get excited about getting him through a trade in some way.

On his day he is great, but when he is off your better off having me out on the ground and unfortunatlly his bad days seem to come around to often for my likings.

Don't forget the bigger guys take time to mature. He is probably approaching his best years in the next two years.

Jared Brennan
#17 Brisbane Lions
Born: July 28, 1984 Origin: Southern Districts
Height: 192cm Weight: 95kg

GVGjr
11-10-2007, 01:26 PM

Thats the thing with him. He's the type of player that will win you a few games but he also might cost you a few games.

If we do land him though and basically everyone Rocket wanted on his shopping list (Robbo aside) have been recruited then there should be no excuses next year.

Raw Toast
11-10-2007, 01:43 PM
If we do land him though and basically everyone Rocket wanted on his shopping list (Robbo aside) have been recruited then there should be no excuses next year.

Indeed, though I still worry about how much the loss of McMahon will weaken our potential (if he goes - and it's hard, though not impossible, to see us getting Brennan if we keep McMahon).

The following bf thread gives a bit more info on why Brennan wants out. Seems mainly that he was sick of seeing balls fly over his head to Brown, even when Brown was double-teamed, doesn't get on well with Matthews, and wants to play on the wing. Not completely sure about his friends though, and Brennan comes over as a bit precious. Still Clayton really rates him and it would add a bit more excitement and no doubt frustration to our lives...
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363589

DOG GOD
11-10-2007, 01:49 PM
is anyone getting a sense of a rhode trade period from a few years back?

LostDoggy
11-10-2007, 02:07 PM
is anyone getting a sense of a rhode trade period from a few years back?

No.
We had pick 1,4,6,19,20 and psd 1 with one day to go during the Rodhe era.
We lost 4 for those for Rawlings, Veale, Street and Koops.

I doubt we will trade for more than 3 players and I doubt they will cost us that much.

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2007, 02:19 PM
No.

I doubt we will trade for more than 3 players and I doubt they will cost us that much.

It was an amazing opportunity, and one we stuffed up incredibly

LostDoggy
11-10-2007, 02:35 PM
It was an amazing opportunity, and one we stuffed up incredibly

Eade doesn't strike me either as one that would lose his nerve like Rohde/Newport did.

Dry Rot
11-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Indeed, though I still worry about how much the loss of McMahon will weaken our potential (if he goes - and it's hard, though not impossible, to see us getting Brennan if we keep McMahon).

The following bf thread gives a bit more info on why Brennan wants out. Seems mainly that he was sick of seeing balls fly over his head to Brown, even when Brown was double-teamed, doesn't get on well with Matthews, and wants to play on the wing. Not completely sure about his friends though, and Brennan comes over as a bit precious. Still Clayton really rates him and it would add a bit more excitement and no doubt frustration to our lives...
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363589

I suppose there's at least two outcomes if he came to us:

1. Stay precious and inconsistent

2. Really grow as a KPP as he'll be the main man forward

Topdog
11-10-2007, 05:02 PM
No.

My goodness that is so depressing.

We had a chance to get 5 potential 200 gamers and gave it up for 1 dud, 1 unlikely ruckman and 2 injury prone OK players.

wb_age
11-10-2007, 06:02 PM
No.

When i first read that it re-emphasised my hatred for Peter Rhode. Then i just had a look to see who was actually drafted with those picks and here are the results.

1. Adam Cooney (star)
4. Farren Ray (hopefully comes on)
6. Kepler Bradley (dud)
19. David Mundy (would of been handy)
20. Sam Butler (dunno)

Players that went in the pre season draft
Nick Stevens
Jacob Surjan
Josh Mahoney

All in all it wasn't that bad an outcome, although Clayton wouldn't have neccesarily drafted those players and we could have taken Nick Stevens in the PSD for free.

LostDoggy
11-10-2007, 06:07 PM
20. Sam Butler (dunno)

Butler is a gun. He's missed the whole season through injury, but a lot of the West Coast fans are getting excited about him being back next year already.

He pick up 30 disposals Vs us in that fateful Semi-final last year.

Go_Dogs
11-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Cam Wood has just gone from Brisbane for #14. It seems as though, possibly, Johnstone could be going to the Lions for that pick? But that is not substantiated at this point.

It's been an interesting trade week so far, for the 4 deals that have been completed. We're left waiting till the last moment, dammit!

Dogs 24/7
11-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Great player when he is on but doesnt play enough good games as far as I am concerned. I think he is a show pony and if he had trouble blending into the Lions then its a fair bet to say he could have the same trouble at other clubs.Very risky trade in my opinion.

dog town
11-10-2007, 07:30 PM
2. Really grow as a KPP as he'll be the main man forward
As brilliant as he is he will never be that type. Doesn't have great positional sense and sort of just floats around. Dont think he will ever be a key target up forward but he is capable of being an extremely dangerous second or third option.

Topdog
11-10-2007, 08:50 PM
When i first read that it re-emphasised my hatred for Peter Rhode. Then i just had a look to see who was actually drafted with those picks and here are the results.

1. Adam Cooney (star)
6. Kepler Bradley (dud)
20. Sam Butler (dunno)

Nick Stevens
Jacob Surjan
Josh Mahoney

All in all it wasn't that bad an outcome, although Clayton wouldn't have neccesarily drafted those players and we could have taken Nick Stevens in the PSD for free.

I doubt Clayton would have drafted any of the other 3. Looking back on that draft though it was actually quite a poor draft.

Sedat
11-10-2007, 09:15 PM

1. Adam Cooney (star)
6. Kepler Bradley (dud)
20. Sam Butler (dunno)

Nick Stevens
Jacob Surjan
Josh Mahoney

Not as simple as who was picked up at those exact picks. Need to look at who we could have picked up had we not blinked.

Chaplin from memory went late 1st round. Could have snared him at #6. Probably other quality options between 7-18. The 2003 trade week was a monumental cock-up and I still break out in a cold sweat thinking about it.

Bulldog Revolution
11-10-2007, 10:30 PM

1. Adam Cooney (star)
6. Kepler Bradley (dud)
20. Sam Butler (dunno)

Nick Stevens
Jacob Surjan
Josh Mahoney

Its worse when you realise that Clayton could have tabbed Beau Waters at no.6

And I agree with B2B - Butler has looked a gun in the making at times

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 12:11 AM
this is a bit unrelated, but the thought of McMahon at Richmond horrifies me, thats seriously the stuff nightmares are made of.

bornadog
12-10-2007, 12:17 AM
this is a bit unrelated, but the thought of McMahon at Richmond horrifies me, thats seriously the stuff nightmares are made of.

Hey Gabi, why is that?

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 12:23 AM
Hey Gabi, why is that?

I'll answer this one: If I was Richmond, i would offer Jordy a lot more then the dogs and tell him not accept any bulldog trades and pick him up for free in the PSD. I would put a dummy bid in first, to look like we are trying...say 3rd round pick knowing they would refuse....if they don't then it doesn't matter, still get a bargain.

Ok, maybe me personally wouldn't do that, because i was saying weeks ago we should give pick 22 to the crows for Hudson to play it fair and not be bastards. But i don't run a multi million dollar club where every inch helps...but if i did i would screw the dogs in this situation. Its on a platter.

macca
12-10-2007, 12:43 AM
Does brennan remind anyone of a young fevola ? He could be molded into a "decent?" player, but I think there may be some challenging years for us supporters to perservere with his lack of concentration . I still don't see who will play at centre half forward next year if we don't snare a key forward.

I agree with you beauts. Its on a platter for richmond to screw us for jordy. Just look at what melbourne did to the crows for meesen. Pick 37 ( 3rd round) for meeson who they picked in 2005 for pick 8.

Anyone know why ray can't get more consistent player ? Is it his body size ? His lack of concentration ? or is he just not any good ????

Dry Rot
12-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Meesen hasn't exactly shone since being drafted.

Re the Tigers, bad faith trading catches up with you. As someone posted elsewhere, The Bombers may find the Lions not so co-operative re Brennan after the Michael incident.

Dry Rot
12-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Does brennan remind anyone of a young fevola ? He could be molded into a "decent?" player, but I think there may be some challenging years for us supporters to perservere with his lack of concentration . I still don't see who will play at centre half forward next year if we don't snare a key forward.

Yes, could be anything (good or bad). If we did get him, who would play CHF? Dunno if he is up to it yet.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-10-2007, 01:02 AM
There's a lot of IF's about Brennan, but what about McMahon? If we keep McMahon, is he fully committed to playing football? Is he over any issues he had this season? Is he able to concentrate solely on football now? Etc. etc.

Just as much risk with McMahon as Brennan, except Brennan's upside is incredibly higher. I thought he showed a few good signs this year. The game against Geelong at Skilled Stadium was impressive whilst his one against The Pies was amazing. He's young; he's worth the punt no doubt.

Brennan > McMahon.
Brennan > Youngster @ Pick 17-19.

It's not as though we're short on for runners and high on for KPF's either. I can't see why we wouldn't be doing everything possible to make it happen.

The Coon Dog
12-10-2007, 07:31 AM
I reckon it's now a choice in two. Use pick 19 to secure Brennan or use it in the National Draft.

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2007, 08:05 AM
I reckon it's now a choice in two. Use pick 19 to secure Brennan or use it in the National Draft.

I hope we use the pick

Topdog
12-10-2007, 08:10 AM
I hope we get Brennan but by something I heard earlier this week I think Rocket will want to keep 19 or somehow trade up to an earlier teen pick.

The Underdog
12-10-2007, 09:52 AM
I agree it's either Brennan or the keep the pick.

Dry Rot
12-10-2007, 10:02 AM
It does seem to me that the uncontracted Brennan has made up his mind to leave Brisbane.

If so, it's out of the Lions' hands, and they have the choice to do a trade or lose him to the PSD.

Go_Dogs
12-10-2007, 10:14 AM
We should offer Brennan a decent contract and the Lions pick 18 (Is it 18 or 19?). If they accept, I'll be happy with that. If not, keep the pick and draft another mobile tall.

Any news on Power and his prospective trade?

DOG GOD
12-10-2007, 11:30 AM
if we use pick 19 on brennan and 22 on hudson then we will have picks 5 and 38 in the draft...thats a pretty big gap.

The Coon Dog
12-10-2007, 11:54 AM
if we use pick 19 on brennan and 22 on hudson then we will have picks 5 and 38 in the draft...thats a pretty big gap.

But adequately compensated in between I would have thought.