PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a second team?

Ghost Dog
23-06-2013, 11:29 AM
I guess most people have a kind of second team. The one belonging to your passed on Grandfather, or your mate's team. By following their fortunes, it gives you something to banter about over the photocopier.
So, who's brave enough to admit they have one on here?
IF not, which opposition do you know the most about and why?

GVGjr
23-06-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't have a 2nd side. If the Bulldogs weren't in the AFL I wouldn't go to AFL games and would just follow the TAC which is a terrific competition.

I don't watch a lot of non Bulldog games but I quite like watching the Swans at the moment mainly because I admire the hard running of their midfield.

Twodogs
23-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Arsenal.

Go_Dogs
23-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Arsenal.

Good answer, mine is Norwood. :D

Can't say I really support another side, but given most of my family and friends go for the Crows I do have a passing interest in how they go - mainly so when they play poorly I can stick it to all of them.

chef
23-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Chelsea, obviously:D.

GVGjr
23-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Arsenal.

Chelsea, obviously:D.

Guys, lets stick to the thread as outlined in the opening post otherwise will just get a roll call of non Aussie Rules teams.

Twodogs
23-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Guys, lets stick to the thread as outlined in the opening post otherwise will just get a roll call of non Aussie Rules teams.

Fair point.

None. All of my passion is reserved for the bulldogs. Like you if the bulldogs weren't in the AFL I wouldn't bother with it. I'd follow VFL or the EPL or become even more full on about cricket.

LostDoggy
23-06-2013, 01:05 PM
I really like watching the seagulls. Don't know what I'll do next year as I feel some level of ownership there but with the new footscray well.....

Family goes for Geelong who I passionately despise for the 1990's finals debarcle(s). Ditto Crows.

I have been known to sing the Tigers song on occasion as I have a lot of mates who are Richmond supporters. Would barrack Tigers vs most clubs. Man its a good song when 60,000 people are belting it out at the G. Also I really rate Gary Marsh - fantastic speaker and leader. They will miss him.

I'll barrack for Freo come September as (a) I think they might just be good enough this year with a bit of luck and (b) I think it may be their last chance this year or next as Pav and Sandi will be gone soon. I think they need one of them to win a flag albeit they are doing pretty well without them at the moment!

chef
23-06-2013, 01:13 PM
If it wasn't for the Dogs then the AFL would probably be dead to me. It's not the same game I grew up loving as a kid unfortunately.

Hotdog60
23-06-2013, 01:20 PM
If it wasn't for the Dogs then the AFL would probably be dead to me. It's not the same game I grew up loving as a kid unfortunately.

That would be me too, I had a soft for Fitzroy all those years ago and I admired the Lions 3 peat team but that's all gone now.

So I would take mild interest in most sports but none in particular.

Ghost Dog
23-06-2013, 01:36 PM
I like watching the Swans as well GVG. They are just a hard, disciplined unit. But my admiration for Port since Hinkley came on board went up. I like his press conferences. Just a no nonsense bloke.

LostDoggy
23-06-2013, 01:54 PM
I like watching the ex-Bulldogs. So probably GWS since they have two.

bulldogtragic
23-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Gold Coast. Their dominance will rob us of premierships, but it's like watching the young Brisbane Lions before the three peat. Just so much talent.

1eyedog
23-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Probably North, I don't know but my mates and I really enjoyed kicking back at home with a heap of beers watching North roll teams in the 90s on a Friday night before we all went out. Fridge was probably my favourite non-dogs player there for a while.

LostDoggy
23-06-2013, 03:15 PM
I don't have a 2nd side. If the Bulldogs weren't in the AFL I wouldn't go to AFL games and would just follow the TAC which is a terrific competition.

I don't watch a lot of non Bulldog games but I quite like watching the Swans at the moment mainly because I admire the hard running of their midfield.

That's a good answer. I'd consider doing the same, or just pick up my local footy side.

bornadog
23-06-2013, 03:19 PM
NO is the answer. I hate all other AFL teams.

Ghost Dog
23-06-2013, 03:45 PM
I knew you would say this. :D
NO is the answer. I hate all other AFL teams.

Hate is a strong word. Ok then Bulldog fanatic. Which evil camp do you know the most about and why?

bornadog
23-06-2013, 04:03 PM

Hate is a strong word. Ok then Bulldog fanatic. Which evil camp do you know the most about and why?

GD I can't stand any other team, but I do have degrees of hate from worst to best :D

Ghost Dog
23-06-2013, 04:04 PM
GD I can't stand any other team, but I do have degrees of hate from worst to best :D

! Fair enough.;) And who do you think you know the most about, in terms of their list?

bornadog
23-06-2013, 04:09 PM
! Fair enough.;) And who do you think you know the most about, in terms of their list?

Not a lot really, because I don't care.

Ghost Dog
23-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Not a lot really, because I don't care.

Negative Nellie. Still forlorn by the Richmond loss? :D
I'm actually interested in Port because if they can resurrect their fortunes, no reason why we can't. Development arcs are not dissimilar.

boydogs
23-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Living in QLD I get all the Gold Coast games, don't mind watching them have a win over more fancied opponents :D

AndrewP6
23-06-2013, 07:40 PM
None. If there was no Bulldogs :eek: I don't think I'd follow the sport.

The Underdog
23-06-2013, 08:05 PM
It's funny how many people seem to be addicted to their team but don't really seem to like football anymore.

I don't have a second team per se but as far as a team I've enjoyed watching, Geelong's style the last 6-7 years has been the most enjoyable
Other than that it's often more individual players. Could watch Ablett all day long.

westdog54
23-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Gold Coast. Their dominance will rob us of premierships, but it's like watching the young Brisbane Lions before the three peat. Just so much talent.

Not a Gold Coast fan per se, but i have genuinely enjoyed watching Karmichael Hunt grow as a footballer. His drive to succeed in his adopted game has really impressed me, when he kicked his first on the run against the Cats, then rolled the Tigers after the siren last year, I was an even bigger fan.

Then of course there's G.Ablett. The best footballer I have seen in my lifetime.

Sedat
23-06-2013, 10:30 PM
My second team is whoever is playing Collingwood in any given week.

The Underdog
23-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Not a Gold Coast fan per se, but i have genuinely enjoyed watching Karmichael Hunt grow as a footballer. His drive to succeed in his adopted game has really impressed me, when he kicked his first on the run against the Cats, then rolled the Tigers after the siren last year, I was an even bigger fan.

Then of course there's G.Ablett. The best footballer I have seen in my lifetime.

O'Meara is going to be a gem too, can see it already.

bulldogtragic
23-06-2013, 11:25 PM
O'Meara is going to be a gem too, can see it already.
Will win at least one brownlow. Freak.

Ghost Dog
23-06-2013, 11:37 PM

Sometimes I really wonder about the hatred of Collingwood. Find Richmond and Essendon fans far more annoying.

Twodogs
23-06-2013, 11:43 PM

In order of hatred.

1. North. The team most Footscrayites hate due to the proximity of the suburbs and the 130 year plus ongoing competition between the two teams in the VFA, VFL and now AFL.

2. Essendon. Again the neighbouring suburb thing and the 1924 match.

3. Richmond. Anyone who was a kid in the late '60s and early '70s can tell you how arrogant and obnoxious that football club was back then. Imagine Richmond supporters with a team to follow that had all the best players, coaches, money and almost unlimited success. It really was as frightening as it sounds. I will hate hem until the day I die.

I admired North for a while in the Pagan years because I knew Denis Pagan from when he coached Yarraville in the VFA in the early '80s. I didn't mind Sheedy so my hatred of Essendon warned for a while, although I still really enjoy taunting their fans at games. I wish only terrible things for the Richmond Football Club though.

bornadog
23-06-2013, 11:46 PM
In order of hatred.

1. North. The team most Footscrayites hate due to the proximity of the suburbs and the 130 year plus ongoing competition between the two teams in the VFA, VFL and now AFL.

2. Essendon. Again the neighbouring suburb thing and the 1924 match.

3. Richmond. Anyone who was a kid in the late '60s and early '70s can tell you how arrogant and obnoxious that football club was back then. Imagine Richmond supporters with a team to follow that had all the best players, coaches, money and almost unlimited success. It really was as frightening as it sounds. I will hate hem until the day I die.

I admired North for a while in the Pagan years because I knew Denis Pagan from when he coached Yarraville in the VFA in the early '80s. I didn't mind Sheedy so my hatred of Essendon warned for a while, although I still really enjoy taunting their fans at games. I wish only terrible things for the Richmond Football Club though.

Agreed except my number one is Carlton followed by Essendon. Just can't stand these cheating clubs.

Twodogs
23-06-2013, 11:48 PM

I've never understood the Collingwood thing. For most of our lives they have been known for losing Grand Finals, internal political turmoil and delusional supporters who think they follow the most successful club in the competition when in reality hey have saluted twice in 55 years.despite all the competitive advantages they are handed.

I find them quaint and vaguely amusing, rather than hate them.

LostDoggy
24-06-2013, 01:13 AM
Fitzroy in 1995 was the closest I've ever come to a second team.

I have 17 teams I hate to varying degrees of intensity, so if that qualifies as a second team, the Swans I hate the least.

Ghost Dog
24-06-2013, 10:03 AM
You do all realise that when we were going under as a club, lots and I do mean lots of supporters from other clubs took out memberships and donated money?
I like AFL, and enjoy watching other games. Really enjoyed Brisbane's win over the Cats. Great narrative. Have a soft spot for Brisvegas owing to the Fitzroy connection and Brownie, who's a Warrnambool boy.

comrade
24-06-2013, 10:03 AM
No way.

With the way Vlad and co are hell bent on destroying the fabric of the game, the Bulldogs are the only thing keeping my interest in the sport.

Happy Days
24-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Second teams are for nancy boys.

In terms of who I hate, North Melbourne have a weird religious cult vibe to them that freaks me out.

comrade
24-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Second teams are for nancy boys.

In terms of who I hate, North Melbourne have a weird religious cult vibe to them that freaks me out.

Their fans are completely delusional, like the football version of Scientologists.

Ghost Dog
24-06-2013, 12:31 PM
That would make a nice thread -
North fans are like -- Scientologists
Richmond Fans are like those blokes at Maccas on a Saturday night at 5am
Essendon fans are like the people on the nightrider, on their way home from maccas at 5am
St Kilda fans --- ?

w3design
24-06-2013, 12:34 PM
No second team for me.

I feel for Fitzroy people, I couldn't follow the Bears takeover merger team if I was a royboy.

Scraggers
24-06-2013, 03:53 PM
My second team would be Footscray (in 2015 ... our VFL team)

I watch a lot of football, three to four games a week; I least despise Fremantle (although I cant stand Lyon).

Sedat
24-06-2013, 05:58 PM
I've never understood the Collingwood thing. For most of our lives they have been known for losing Grand Finals, internal political turmoil and delusional supporters who think they follow the most successful club in the competition when in reality hey have saluted twice in 55 years.despite all the competitive advantages they are handed.
Their supporters are vile and plentiful. I celebrated their GF losses almost as hard as the supporters of the clubs that won those flags.

The beauty of the 2010 GF was that I didn't have to put up with either of Collingwood or St Kilda winning it as I went overseas on GF night and didn't return until trade week - it's like the GF replay never happened.

Maddog37
24-06-2013, 06:30 PM
My second team are the Cats. Barracked for them til I was eleven and wife used to barrack for them before I brainwashed her. I also like the style of footy they play although I find some of their fans are becoming very arrogant. Strangely enough they are starting to act like Hawks fans who always seem to look down their nose at every other team. I hate hawthorn with a passion.

The Underdog
24-06-2013, 09:19 PM
That would make a nice thread -
North fans are like -- Scientologists
Richmond Fans are like those blokes at Maccas on a Saturday night at 5am
Essendon fans are like the people on the nightrider, on their way home from maccas at 5am
St Kilda fans --- ?

Collingwood fans are Catholics, dogmatic, secular, overpublicised, numerous, with a higher opinion of themselves than their deeds warrant (no seriously, I'm sure the prevalence of working class Catholics in Collingwood in the 20's and 30's is part of their wide supporter base). Apologies to any Catholics, but only a Bill Hicks apology.

SonofScray
25-06-2013, 02:25 PM
I don't have a second side in the AFL, seems impossible to me.

I hate every other team and wish them the worst of luck in their endeavours.

Greystache
25-06-2013, 02:35 PM
No second team, just varying degrees of dislike for the other teams.

I don't wish for a team to win, I just wish for the team they're playing to lose more.

Dry Rot
25-06-2013, 09:12 PM
How do you define "a second team"?

One you follow closely, or that you like to watch and see win?

Or just a faint preference vs other teams?

Or perhaps for the interstate Woofers here, one that's on TV every week whether you like it or not?

mighty_west
25-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Williamstown are my second or other team, all other AFL sides mean nothing to me, going to be interesting next year in the VFL though!

Webby
25-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Although it's the Dogs by daylight for me, I love the opportunity to run the judgmental ruler over other clubs. I don't have an outright favourite, but I do have tiered clusters from most liked to least liked. Formed since childhood..

Group 1:
Swans - Barry Round was a favorite as a kid and always a fellow struggler. Happy their supporters saw some success as they did it tougher than any for a long time
North - always an anti-Essendon ally. Also punched above their weight as a club - which I respected
Geelong - country club and lacked success when I was a kid. Didn't seem overly cocky, growing up
Fitzroy - honest, no frills struggling club. Bernie Q was a favourite. Became hatred in '89, but tempered since

Group 2 - neutrals:
Hawthorn - other side of town, but were the good guys in my mind 2, 3 or 4 times a year vs Essendon. Size and arrogance has crept in over past decade, though.
Richmond - Poorly run. Squandered powerhouse. Amy Winehouse of AFL when i was growing up
Melbourne - Switzerland of AFL. Don't like 'em, don't hate 'em. They're just there.. And that's their biggest problem

Group 3 - disdain:
Brisbane - absorbed Fitzroy and were gifted the world by Oakley & co
St Kilda - just an awful club. 26 spoons and countless court appearances. Felt they were a joke whilst growing up and a disgrace as an adult
Adelaide - 1997
West Coast - Upstarts
Freo - Upstarts
GWS - Upstarts
Gold Coast - Upstarts

Group 4 - extreme disdain:
Carlton - arrogant cheats
Collingwood - are Collingwood

Group 5 - irrational hatred:
Essendon

Bulldog4life
26-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Each week I barrack for the teams that I have picked in the footy tipping comp.

In the finals if the doggies aren't playing I barrack for any interstate team to win. My rational thinking is that if I can't be happy I don't want any other supporters of a Victorian team to be happy. Or should that be irrational!

Ghost Dog
26-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Although it's the Dogs by daylight for me, I love the opportunity
Richmond - Poorly run. Squandered powerhouse. Amy Winehouse of AFL when i was growing up
Melbourne - Switzerland of AFL. Don't like 'em, don't hate 'em. They're just there.. And that's their biggest problem

Group 3 - disdain:
Brisbane - absorbed Fitzroy and were gifted the world by Oakley & co
St Kilda - just an awful club. 26 spoons and countless court appearances. Felt they were a joke whilst growing up and a disgrace as an adult

Post of the month. Very funny read :D

Twodogs
26-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Each week I barrack for the teams that I have picked in the footy tipping comp.

In the finals if the doggies aren't playing I barrack for any interstate team to win. My rational thinking is that if I can't be happy I don't want any other supporters of a Victorian team to be happy. Or should that be irrational!

Sounds perfectly rational to me.

LostDoggy
27-06-2013, 02:14 AM
My second team each week is whoever is playing the cows. Everything about that club grates against my soul. So many reasons, so many knobs from fans to players to media.

Central districts bulldogs were my first team until I discovered the VFL. Platten was my hero as a kid and I watched most of the hawthorn games back then. If anything they would be the side I dislike the least. Clarko is another connection to Centrals and the long awaited premiership.

Ozza
27-06-2013, 12:12 PM
I certainly don't have a second team - but if the Bulldogs were to fold tomorrow - my kids would follow their Mum's team, Geelong, and I guess I would end up following them.

Geelong and Sydney are the most inoffensive of the other clubs in the league.

Essendon, Carlton, St.Kilda, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Collingwood are clearly at the other end of the scale.