PDA

View Full Version : Gia Miked Up On Ch7

Pickenitup
23-06-2013, 07:25 PM
Hey Guys as I was at the Game haven't had a chance to watch the Replay
how was Gia when he was miked up any Good insights at all?

AndrewP6
23-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Asked my mum, and she said it was really good (not sure if that's worth anything, but anyway! :)

Was wishing I was home watching it quite often, unfortunately.

boydogs
23-06-2013, 09:12 PM
I thought he was good, there are a few comments on it in the game day thread saying he should captain our VFL side next year

LostDoggy
23-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Not too much we haven't heard from past and present players, Gia is extremely vocal and clearly one of the clubs leaders

The Doctor
23-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Well I thought it was excellent.

Gia is authoritative and delivers his encouragement, advice and rev ups to everyone regardless of rank, incl Boyd.

Gia clearly has a great footy brain and we need to sign him up to a coaching or admin role the moment he calls it day.

westdog54
23-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Well I thought it was excellent.

Gia is authoritative and delivers his encouragement, advice and rev ups to everyone regardless of rank, incl Boyd.

Gia clearly has a great footy brain and we need to sign him up to a coaching or admin role the moment he calls it day.

The way he was directing traffic, both on the boundary and on the field, was nothing short of superb. Even Bobby wasn't spared.

As far as I'm concerned we've got the wrong bloke as Captain.

There were two that stood out for me. One was the spray he gave Markovic.

"Marko... MARKO!!... You've gotta go...You've gotta go there...well then tell someone else to go!"

The other were his words to a hard-breathing, knackered Jake Stringer, to the effect of:

"That's the effort you need...that's how you've gotta come off every time...good stuff."

LostDoggy
23-06-2013, 10:44 PM
The way he was directing traffic, both on the boundary and on the field, was nothing short of superb. Even Bobby wasn't spared.

As far as I'm concerned we've got the wrong bloke as Captain.

There were two that stood out for me. One was the spray he gave Markovic.

"Marko... MARKO!!... You've gotta go...You've gotta go there...well then tell someone else to go!"

The other were his words to a hard-breathing, knackered Jake Stringer, to the effect of:

"That's the effort you need...that's how you've gotta come off every time...good stuff."
All I've ever heard from the club was that Gia is a clear stand out in terms of vocal leadership, even when Johnno was captain. The only thing you can put it down to is Captaincy is a bit more complex than 1 or 2 factors.

bulldogtragic
23-06-2013, 11:26 PM
All I've ever heard from the club was that Gia is a clear stand out in terms of vocal leadership, even when Johnno was captain. The only thing you can put it down to is Captaincy is a bit more complex than 1 or 2 factors.
Or, Gia was robbed.

FrediKanoute
24-06-2013, 07:23 AM
He was good. Brought a new dimension to the match. The spray Marco copped was a great example.

In terms of whether he should have been captain, don't want to go over old ground but there were many on here who were very vocally against him becoming captain, me included. Maybe we were wrong.

azabob
24-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Or, Gia was robbed.

Two coaches got it wrong then?

bulldogtragic
24-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Or one did and the other kept the status quo.

azabob
24-06-2013, 11:52 AM
Or one did and the other kept the status quo.

Interesting point you raise.

I think it could also be a case of who else was demanding to lead a change of culture on and off the field.

For what its worth I don't think BMAC keeps the status quo if he doesn't think its right.

DragzLS1
24-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Think you will find Boyd, Gia and Murphy are all very vocal.

Gia should def sign up as a coach when he decides to hang up the boots! Smart footballer

westdog54
24-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Quite Frankly, yes they did.

Gia is a much better media performer, an equal if not superior on-field leader and one of the most professional players at the club in terms of work ethic and preparation. To be perfectly honest I think that possession count is the only area in which Boyd is superior to Gia.

azabob
24-06-2013, 08:01 PM

Gia is a much better media performer, an equal if not superior on-field leader and one of the most professional players at the club in terms of work ethic and preparation. To be perfectly honest I think that possession count is the only area in which Boyd is superior to Gia.

At the time did you think Boyd was the right choice?

bornadog
24-06-2013, 08:28 PM
At the time did you think Boyd was the right choice?

I would have preferred Gia or Murphy

LostDoggy
26-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Think the utter vituperation toward the idea on the original western bulldogs site mean't the club couldn't go with Gia. There were truely disgraceful comments being continuously made - no rhyme or reason just a bunch of emotive lemmings chasing Gia's captaincy dreams over the cliff. Feel very sorry for him albeit Boyd seems to have done a good job. Would love him to get it temporarily if Boyd is absent again at all this year.

Bulldog4life
26-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Think you will find Boyd, Gia and Murphy are all very vocal.

Gia should def sign up as a coach when he decides to hang up the boots! Smart footballer

According to what I have read Gia was bitten by the coaching bug very early in his career and has done various coaching courses and helps out at a junior team....one which I can't remember. Very few retired players tend to stay with the team they played for when they dip their toe into the coaching ranks.

Go_Dogs
26-06-2013, 06:41 PM
Very few retired players tend to stay with the team they played for when they dip their toe into the coaching ranks.

Good point. One would think it's likely Gia will start his official coaching role elsewhere but I'd really like to see him step into a playing coach role with the reserves side next year - hopefully it's an option that's attractive to him and we can make sure the lure is there financially.

Bulldog4life
26-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Good point. One would think it's likely Gia will start his official coaching role elsewhere but I'd really like to see him step into a playing coach role with the reserves side next year - hopefully it's an option that's attractive to him and we can make sure the lure is there financially.

Yes good idea. Would also hate to lose Crossy to another Club.

always right
26-06-2013, 08:59 PM

I don't think anyone has ever questioned Boyd's professionalism, work ethic or preparation.
I also wonder how impressive Boyd might have been had he been miked up in the same manner as Gia was. People might be surprised.

LostDoggy
28-06-2013, 03:57 PM
If memory serves, the best vocal leaders at the club were Gia, Murph and Boyd.
The ones considered to best lead by example were Cross, Morris and Boyd.
Boyd perhaps received it as he was Considered high in both categories, a la the most well rounded captain. Again a lot goes on in the inner sanctum that we don't know about, and this is based on a fair bit of hearsay.