PDA

View Full Version : The 'Player's Code'

Scraggers
27-06-2013, 12:56 PM
What ever happen to the 'player's code'?

Whilst waiting for a meeting at work the other night, I watched the live transcript of the Ryan Crowley vs Boomer Harvey tribunal hearing.

Ryan swore black and blue (if you'll pardon the pun) that he didn't pinch.
The reporting umpire said he did not see it happen, and made the report on the hearsay of Boomer.
There was no video footage of him actually pinching.
Boomer said he pinched me, and the reason I reacted so badly was he was pinching me where I have a cracked rib (and it really really really really hurt).

Years ago, this would never had been reported, let alone made it to tribunal ... if it did, the 'player's code' would mean you didn't give damning evidence against your opponent. Reading the transcript, Boomer squealed like a stuck pig.

Is the 'player's code' dead ... or is Boomer a big fat dobber ??

Maddog37
27-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Crowley deserves it. That sort of crap is not in the spirit of the game.....

Boomer is all about Boomer.

G-Mo77
27-06-2013, 01:19 PM
300 times Queen Harvey claimed. No video evidence of this harassment at all. If it happened so often you think it would have been sited at least once. In the same game he punched Crowley in the balls and pulled Mzungu's hair?

And Crowley is the guilty one?

I'd love nothing more than to see Harvey completely laid out before he calls it a day. Can't stand the little turd.

jeemak
27-06-2013, 01:26 PM
I suppose the players code bred a culture where arseholes and thugs were able to continue being arseholes and thugs, while fair players just had to put up with it. Back in the day you could square up, but you don't get that opportunity anymore.

Harvey is a little shit of the highest order, and Crowley is not much better. Like G-Mo77 I'd happily see them both ironed out.

Greystache
27-06-2013, 01:35 PM
The player's code has been dead for years now, there's only a handful of the old school players that stick to it.

Regardless of era Harvey would be a squealer, he's just a horrible human being with no regard for anything or anyone but himself. He's the kid in the school yard that would bully a younger kid then cry to a teacher when his older brother confronted him about it.

Remi Moses
27-06-2013, 02:53 PM
I see the AFL's perennial whinger Brad Scott is at it again!
He's gone from saying Harvey should be able to cope with a tag to
"He needs more protection" . Honestly why doesn't he concern himself with the fact a veteran still gets tagged.? Maybe one of his players should step up??
Crowley's a pain, but on your side you love him!

bornadog
27-06-2013, 03:08 PM
The player's code has been dead for years now, there's only a handful of the old school players that stick to it.

Regardless of era Harvey would be a squealer, he's just a horrible human being with no regard for anything or anyone but himself. He's the kid in the school yard that would bully a younger kid then cry to a teacher when his older brother confronted him about it.

Whilst I agree with you, Crowley is a Cheat.

SonofScray
27-06-2013, 03:56 PM
This scenario is one of the reasons I've really fallen in love with ice hockey. Players who take cheap shots and push the boundaries too far get punched in the face. Both get a relatively short punishment and the game goes on.

I think the AFL in its crusade against incidental high contact has created a real imbalance in consequences for genuinely shit acts on the field of play.

The unsportsmanlike behaviour and niggling that goes unpunished is the biggest blight on the game. Culturally it is damaging and it sets a poor example for future generations. Eg - the now obligatory push and shove before the bounce of the ball, the media accept this as OK and even applaud it (Dermie and BT especially) Its crap. Shake hands and get on with the game. Save that stuff for when the ball is in play.

GVGjr
27-06-2013, 04:47 PM
The Danny Southern sleeper hold broke the code. WC and the Dogs had an agreed position going into the hearing and then the Eagles changed their tune straight away leaving us as the sitting duck.

The code went years ago.

bornadog
27-06-2013, 05:03 PM
The Danny Southern sleeper hold broke the code. WC and the Dogs had an agreed position going into the hearing and then the Eagles changed their tune straight away leaving us as the sitting duck.

The code went years ago.

Also all the dobers on Libba - they know who they are. ;)

LostDoggy
27-06-2013, 08:37 PM
Also all the dobers on Libba - they know who they are. ;)

You mean our potential future footy director?

anfo27
27-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Still remember Steven Kolyniuk getting done for a jumper punch because Peter Matera told the tribunal that he thought his jaw was broken he got hit that hard. Can't recall any other player getting done for a jumper punch & probably the main reason I can't stand Peter Matera.

LostDoggy
27-06-2013, 10:06 PM

Stache, Harvey took Hrovat under his wing when he went knocking on his door didn't he ?

Ghost Dog
27-06-2013, 10:18 PM

A horrible human being? For being pinched then whining about it? Seems a bit over the top. Boomer Harvey is, like most diminutive players, possessed of an abrasive outer countenance. Kind of goes with the territory.

Remi Moses
27-06-2013, 10:32 PM
He can't handle being tagged. Crowley's denied it, anyway.
As usual Brad Scott's has changed his tune.
It's gone from Harvey Should be experienced enough to handle it, to The umps have to protect him!
Just deflecting from what's been an underachieving season.

Greystache
28-06-2013, 12:03 AM
A horrible human being? For being pinched then whining about it? Seems a bit over the top. Boomer Harvey is, like most diminutive players, possessed of an abrasive outer countenance. Kind of goes with the territory.

Who mentioned being pinched?

What about when the Norf players all got together and agreed to putting in $5 each day so they could have lunches catered at the club, Harvey was the only player (and highest paid) that refused to contribute and brought a packed lunch instead. Quality person!

That's without bringing up his wife and brawls in children's playgrounds.

Happy Days
28-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Who mentioned being pinched?

What about when the Norf players all got together and agreed to putting in $5 each day so they could have lunches catered at the club, Harvey was the only player (and highest paid) that refused to contribute and brought a packed lunch instead. Quality person!

That's without bringing up his wife and brawls in children's playgrounds.

His old footy club (Preston RSL) asked him to sign a jumper for a raffle or something. Harvey's response: "how much are you going to pay me for it?"

These stories are a dime a dozen; not exactly a secret he's not a great guy.

Remi Moses
28-06-2013, 12:55 AM
His old footy club (Preston RSL) asked him to sign a jumper for a raffle or something. Harvey's response: "how much are you going to pay me for it?"

These stories are a dime a dozen; not exactly a secret he's not a great guy.

Worked with a guy who played cricket against Harvey Snr.
Wasn't complimentary

jeemak
28-06-2013, 01:19 AM
Brad Scott can never stop bellyaching can he.

As for Harvey, the amount of diving to gain unfair advantage he has done throughout his career is enough for me to write him off as a weasel. As he received an unfair amount of free kicks over that time, he is morally obliged to accept being pinched and scragged each and every game.

Fair's fair.

SonofScray
28-06-2013, 01:25 AM
Brad Scott can never stop bellyaching can he.

As for Harvey, the amount of diving to gain unfair advantage he has done throughout his career is enough for me to write him off as a weasel. As he received an unfair amount of free kicks over that time, he is morally obliged to accept being pinched and scragged each and every game.

Fair's fair.

:D Agree.

Remember his dive at Canberra v us, I think Boyd or Robbins bumped him over the boundary line. He feigned high contact and in the back. Umpire may even have made a report. I think we won by a point.

jeemak
28-06-2013, 01:36 AM

Remember his dive at Canberra v us, I think Boyd or Robbins bumped him over the boundary line. He feigned high contact and in the back. Umpire may even have made a report. I think we won by a point.

I think I recall him having his jumper picked or some light contact over his shoulder after receiving a free in that game and he did a triple pump side to side head flick fall over trying to get a 50 in the same game.

My TV had a lot of invisible rocks thrown at it, after that performance.

mighty_west
28-06-2013, 09:18 AM

Definatly Boyd and yes, Boomer really sucked the ump in that day.