PDA

View Full Version : The importance of clearances

Topdog
28-06-2013, 06:13 PM
has never been lower. I think most people have been thinking this for the past 2 seasons but now the AFL inquirer has looked into the stats and from a Bulldog perspective they are depressing.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-06-28/the-clearances-conundrum

Topdog
28-06-2013, 06:23 PM
oops forgot the link. Added it in now.

Go_Dogs
28-06-2013, 06:28 PM
The standout for me is the % of clearances scored from stat - we're down the very bottom of that list and Geelong and Hawthorn are near the top, thankfully they aren't standout clearance sides at the moment, because with their effectiveness if they were, they'd be even harder to beat.

It also highlights the score from turnover stat is one in which we need significant improvement - this comes from defensive workrate and then the ability to spread hard offensively once the turnover has occurred. I think most of us agree this is an area that if we improve, will make us a much better side.

Really like The Inquirer, always a good read.

I'd be interested to see a comparison for what happens during the season with the importance of clearances as compared to finals. My gut feel is being a strong clearance and contested ball side is still the foundation to success in September, but it must be coupled with an ability to turn defensive workrate into scoreboard impact, which I'm sure is what the trends would indicate.

Nice post Topdog, thanks.

LostDoggy
28-06-2013, 06:33 PM
So from what I gather from the inquirer, St Kilda are the best kicking team in the comp and the third best effective clearance team.. Damn they must be setting themselves up for the premiership right?

Bulldog Joe
28-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Part of the problem is that all clearances are treated the same in that stat.

I wonder what it would be if we could look at 2nd possession.

Hawthorn and Geelong do well because they are able to retain possession.

EDIT
See that the effective clearance stat really highlights Geelong with a big minus in actual clearance but a positive in effective clearance.

Clearance scored from is more reflective of ladder positions, although Freo are down in this area. They make up for it by being so good defensively that no-one scores much at all.

LostDoggy
28-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Part of the problem is that all clearances are treated the same in that stat.

I wonder what it would be if we could look at 2nd possession.

Hawthorn and Geelong do well because they are able to retain possession.

I think that's what the effective clearance stat in this article refers to.
I.e Geelong retain possession from 90% of their clearances.
Richmond and Collingwood 88%
Hawthorn 86%
We retain possession from just 82.7% of ours.

always right
29-06-2013, 11:29 AM
To me it simply says that clearances by themselves are not the answer. Wow....stop the presses.

F'scary
29-06-2013, 10:57 PM
The Dees are about to beat us easily.

Here is the importance of clearances: Clear any one of the f'ers to any club who will take 'em!:mad: