PDA

View Full Version : We have a New President

bornadog
29-06-2013, 12:23 AM
well for the weekend anyway :D

Alberti becomes top Dog for women's weekend (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/alberti-becomes-top-dog-for-womens-weekend-20130628-2p2we.html)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/art-svALBERTI-620x349_zps7a96b09c.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/art-svALBERTI-620x349_zps7a96b09c.jpg.html)

Peter Gordon has handed the Western Bulldogs presidency to Susan Alberti for the weekend to acknowledge the AFL's themed women's round.
Moved this week as he learnt more about the still largely unexposed and unfashionable plight of women who play football, Gordon asked his vice-president Alberti - a financial backer of the Victorian Women's Football League - whether she would accept the presidential post.

''These things can be seen, if you want to be critical of them, as tokenism. But I choose to look at them as small, symbolic acts to advance a particular agenda and I hope that we'll play a small role in doing that tomorrow,'' Gordon told Fairfax Media on Friday night.
''Sue is well and truly credentialed for this job, but she was one of several people who asked me if I would do it [after David Smorgon's departure in 2012] and I agreed.''

Before a historic first AFL-sanctioned match between women who will represent two AFL clubs - Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs - Gordon said a great opportunity was being missed in terms of effort towards female participation.

''I feel a bit bad about this, but it's really only been in the last couple of days that it has struck me that this is a really important thing,'' he admitted.
''This is, in one sense, the most mass consumer sports entertainment industry in the country - it's the most well attended and watched - but it's not available as a participation sport in any real sense to half of the consumers and audience.

''It makes commercial sense, it makes health sense, it makes sport sense and it's fair [to improve support for women's participation in football]. It's got all those things going for it.''
The women's match is the curtain raiser at the MCG from 5.10pm before the men's bout.
Alberti said she was honoured to be club president, even if only for a weekend.

Go_Dogs
29-06-2013, 02:19 AM
BAD, you're getting quite unreliable with your thread titles :D

I like it, good initiative by the club.

Ghost Dog
29-06-2013, 12:58 PM
LOL how funny was the first dog on the moon thing about Susan?
Melbourne might spy a few handy players for next year's draft!

bulldogtragic
30-06-2013, 01:07 AM
As current President right now, can she ask for a PP if Gordo won't??

GVGjr
30-06-2013, 01:16 AM
As current President right now, can she ask for a PP if Gordo won't??

Maybe we the fans can start the ball rolling with the AFL. It's clear that most here on WOOF don't believe we are entitled to one but if results don't go the way we hope over the next few weeks it might be time to revisit it again.

Chicago1
30-06-2013, 08:31 AM
What a very disappointing result on the day that the club honored one of our most faithful and gracious supporters. I had the great pleasure of meeting Susan at the President's Luncheon I attended during my visit in 2010. I feel embarrassed that the team did not perform as we had all hoped. Susan deserved more, as we all did.