PDA

View Full Version : Old Dog's new trick

bornadog
29-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/old-dogs-new-trick-20130628-2p2wr.html)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/art-svMBOYD-620x349_zps7a3b29f9.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/art-svMBOYD-620x349_zps7a3b29f9.jpg.html)

There are so many things going on in the AFL that the odd exceptional performance tends to slip through the cracks.
And if you're a supporter of the Western Bulldogs, you want to celebrate every positive story that comes out of the club.

The Bulldogs are in that difficult transition stage where, having been a perennial finalist for several years, including three consecutive preliminary finals from 2008-10, they are attempting to rebuild and rejuvenate the playing list.
The byproduct of this is that senior stalwarts are being gradually phased out, making way for what they hope will be the cornerstone of their team for years to come.

Daniel Cross, an outstanding servant of the Dogs for 12 years, no longer demands a place in the starting 22. Daniel Giansiracusa seems destined to wear the green vest more often than not and the likes of Lindsay Gilbee and Ryan Hargrave retired at the end of last season.

One of the proudest and most competitive footballers in the competition, skipper Matthew Boyd, has also been forced to confront his footballing mortality. Still one of the great ball accumulators in the game, Boyd's ongoing struggle with his disposal efficiency has required Brendan McCartney to search for a more effective way to deploy his captain's talents.
Last Saturday night, Boyd was sent to his Richmond counterpart, Trent Cotchin, in a genuine, one-on-one, run-with role. Cotchin has just turned 23, and though his form may not be quite where it was last year when he was runner-up in the Brownlow Medal, he remains a magnificent player.

Boyd is approaching 31 and has played 11 seasons. For the last half of those 11 seasons he has been elite in every category, except - and I think he would be the first to admit it - kicking skills. But in terms of his competitiveness, his ability to win the hardest ball and contested possession, his unflinching willingness to put his head over the footy and extract it at centre bounces and stoppages, there have been few who have been his peer in recent times.
He is a terrific leader who pushes his body to the absolute limit and he is demanding in his expectations of his teammates.

So, at this late stage in his career, to be asked to go from playmaker to play-stopper, takes some considerable adjustment. What it also takes is a selfless attitude and an acknowledgment that the team always comes first.
I thought Boyd did a stunning job on Cotchin - a performance that has been largely overlooked. Not only did he manage to deny Richmond any meaningful contribution from its inspirational leader but Boyd still managed to do what he has been doing for so many years, and that is find the football.

Boyd finished with 38 possessions. He took 10 marks, had six clearances, laid nine tackles, rebounded the ball from the defensive 50 three times and put it inside 50 on six occasions. He also managed to kick a goal.

The only negative was that he had seven clangers, the most of any player on the ground.
But his primary responsibility was Cotchin, and the young champ was kept to just 12 kicks, five handballs and three marks. And four of those possessions came from free kicks. It was surprising to see that neither Brendan McCartney nor Damien Hardwick could find a single vote for Boyd in the coaches' association award.

Boyd's efforts sent a clear and defining message to the playing group. When the main man at your club is prepared to do what is best for the club, then the rest of the group, if they have the sort of character that the club hopes they have, will be left with no choice but to fall in behind him.
There is no value in Boyd espousing the team-first mantra if he then doesn't go out and live it through his actions.

So, should McCartney turn to Adam Cooney, Bob Murphy and Dale Morris in coming weeks and requests a change of roles, they need only look as far as their skipper to seek the confirmation that this is the way it is going to be.
Even more significantly, Boyd is providing the example for Jackson Macrae, Jake Stringer, Tom Liberatore, Mitch Wallis, Nathan Hrovat, Lachie Hunter, Clay Smith and Michael Talia. The message is clear - no individual is more important than the team.

What an enormously important and valuable legacy Boyd will leave behind.
And on Saturday night, against struggling Melbourne, it is the glaring and influential asset that the Dogs have, and the Demons don't. The hard-nosed leadership and experience of a player such as Boyd is not currently available to the young and struggling Melbourne outfit, and that is a critical difference between the teams.

In an environment where inexperience invariably, and understandably, leads to fluctuations in form and experience, having the comfort and peace of mind of Matthew Boyd among the playing group is valuable way beyond anything that shows up on the statistics column.
Boyd will most likely go to Nathan Jones, the Demons' heartbeat. Jones will compete in the only manner that he knows, but, as Cotchin discovered, his opponent thrives on the contest as much as anyone in football.

His new role is so important and critical to the development of this side, that if Boyd were to lead the Demons out instead of the Dogs, he would most likely be set for Ryan Griffen, the Doggies' superstar, and, along with his leadership, could almost be enough to swing the game in Melbourne's favour.
As it is, he should lead the Dogs to just their fourth win of the season. And that is something to celebrate.

bornadog
29-06-2013, 12:35 AM
A good positive article on Boyd. I know posters and supporters like to pick out all the negatives about players which I have mentioned several times, but this article shows you what a magnificent servant Boyd is to the club and how he shows the way to the younger players with his hard work and gut running throughout a match.

I hope there isn't a barrage of negative responses, because to me the positives of what Boyd does out on the ground far out weigh the negatives.

boydogs
29-06-2013, 01:27 AM
I hope there isn't a barrage of negative responses, because to me the positives of what Boyd does out on the ground far out weigh the negatives.

Saying they can't understand why he wasn't in the votes is overdoing it though

LostDoggy
29-06-2013, 03:46 AM
Fantastic article :D
Think this really gives some perspective.

always right
29-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Interesting contrast to the views of some posters who claim Boyd is a selfish footballer.

Ghost Dog
29-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Some Footballers look good on TV ( their productive skills ). Negative roles are harder to discern on TV, and this is why Matty draws the derision of supporters. The clanger kicks get in the way of all the other things he does.
If you give up possessions that result in goals, it really doesn't matter what you do. Accuracy is the biggest, most important stat in footy.

comrade
29-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Interesting contrast to the views of some posters who claim Boyd is a selfish footballer.

It's great that Macca has found a new role for Boyd and that Boydy is buying into it (based on the article) but let's not forget he also played on Swan the week before and got torched.

Playing a defensive type of role goes against his ball hunting nature and it's a habit that will take a while to kick. That he's willing to do it at this stage of his career is a great piece of leadership.

SlimPickens
29-06-2013, 12:30 PM
I don't for one second think the Boyd is invaluable for our side but one performance certainly doesn't make a season. There has been plenty of criticism toward Boyd, much of that I feel is warranted. I hope he can back it up this week and every week for the season.

McCartney and Hardwick didn't have him in their votes, not surprised by that at all, not many woofers had him there either and let's face it we lost the game by 60 odd points.

bornadog
29-06-2013, 01:19 PM
McCartney and Hardwick didn't have him in their votes, not surprised by that at all, not many woofers had him there either and let's face it we lost the game by 60 odd points.

No one said he was best on the ground or should receive votes by the coaches. He played a role, he made a few mistakes but overall he beat his man. Many WOOfers were calling for him to be dropped, which I found astounding.

Greystache
29-06-2013, 01:20 PM
It's a big article based on one game, especially as Comrade mentioned he was torched in usual fashion the week before against Swan. Cotchin has been poor all season, but if Boyd can restrict in form players in a similar fashion while reducing his clangers then he can be a valuable contributor. Personally I'd be waiting till the end of the season before lauding that's he's a changed man.

Not getting votes from either coach was no surprise to most.

The Pie Man
29-06-2013, 01:36 PM
It's a big article based on one game, especially as Comrade mentioned he was torched in usual fashion the week before against Swan. Cotchin has been poor all season, but if Boyd can restrict in form players in a similar fashion while reducing his clangers then he can be a valuable contributor. Personally I'd be waiting till the end of the season before lauding that's he's a changed man.

Not getting votes from either coach was no surprise to most.

This - if he can sustain the change in direction, then we can talk about a possible legacy. Up until last week, he hadn't been setting the best example to a young midfield group.

7 clangers last week really hurt as well.

Tick for BMac for changing his role though.

bornadog
29-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Up until last week, he hadn't been setting the best example to a young midfield group.

I rarely disagree with you, but this statement is absolutely wrong. He sets the example with training, he sets the example on the field with his work rate and never gives up. He is one of the highest accumulators in the AFL. All you are focusing on are the clangers, nothing else.

SlimPickens
29-06-2013, 02:08 PM
No one said he was best on the ground or should receive votes by the coaches. He played a role, he made a few mistakes but overall he beat his man. Many WOOfers were calling for him to be dropped, which I found astounding.

It actually says it was surprising in the article you have put up BAD. Hence my reference.

If Boyd offers us what he did against the pies on a weekly basis I would absolutely be calling for him to be held accountable with his position in the side.

Boyd's future in the side must be base on defense and a willingness to give the ball to our better uses. If he continues to butcher it by foot, ill continue to be critical.

LostDoggy
29-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Role Players often get votes from the coaches, who value role players more than stars, for example Steven Morris got 2 votes from the coaches for his job on Dahlhaus. That's why Gary said he was surprised.

LostDoggy
29-06-2013, 04:03 PM
I don't for one second think the Boyd is invaluable for our side but one performance certainly doesn't make a season. There has been plenty of criticism toward Boyd, much of that I feel is warranted. I hope he can back it up this week and every week for the season.

I thought he was very good both ways against St Kilda. A game where he recieved 8 votes in the Coaches mvp award. Didn't take an opponent, but laid 7 tackles playing a bit of the Goddard midfield role, sweeping the back side of stoppages. They tried this again against Collingwood and it backfired, Boyd only managed to lay a single effective tackle and Swan dominated as a result. He's been playing the roles he's been given for a few weeks, it just backfired quite badly against the pies.

SlimPickens
29-06-2013, 05:16 PM
I thought he was very good both ways against St Kilda. A game where he recieved 8 votes in the Coaches mvp award. Didn't take an opponent, but laid 7 tackles playing a bit of the Goddard midfield role, sweeping the back side of stoppages. They tried this again against Collingwood and it backfired, Boyd only managed to lay a single effective tackle and Swan dominated as a result. He's been playing the roles he's been given for a few weeks, it just backfired quite badly against the pies.

Agree, the premise of the article however is how good he has been defensively. He has had one good game this year shutting out an opponent (Cotchin). Many lament his lack of defensive effort, positioning around the contest over the years and have been calling for more of it (I'm one of them). It was nice to see this effort against the tigers and I hope it continues.

LostDoggy
29-06-2013, 08:16 PM
I love the balance of the article. In summary it says what most on here say. Boyd tries and works his heart out. He's a player with ordinary skills and is at afl grade because he works harder than anyone else. He's gutsier than most players, has a stronger will than most players. He is a year by year proposition for the coach to analyse do his heart, head, accumulation and guts outway what would normally be an unacceptable clanger rate for an afl player. Up until now they have but Macca is clearly seeing the balance slip the wrong way this year and so have we. Hence the absolutely fair criticism on here and he's lucky he's not followed Cross in many ways. Doesn't mean he's stopped bleeding red, white and blue or being a team man. I think Boyd will do the team thing, as he always has, and quietly stand down for 2014. Club will announce its decided to reward someone new or someone who can take the team into the future. The captaincy will go to Murph (if he stays) or more probably Griff if they adopt the second tack next year. Boyd should be absolutely showered with praise for the way he has guided us through some of our toughest years at that point. He's earned our admiration for doing it without the pure ability of an Ablett, Johnson, Wynd.

The Pie Man
29-06-2013, 09:22 PM
I rarely disagree with you, but this statement is absolutely wrong. He sets the example with training, he sets the example on the field with his work rate and never gives up. He is one of the highest accumulators in the AFL. All you are focusing on are the clangers, nothing else.

Fair enough BAD, on reflection my statement maybe a touch strong.

I don't see training at all, though you often read that he demands a certain standard in teammates, which is of course positive.

I remain unconvinced of his work rate and propensity to chase (which concerns me as skipper around a young group) but I do respect his ability to accumulate a massive amount footy for over 10 years.

Sedat
30-06-2013, 11:37 AM
It's a big article based on one game, especially as Comrade mentioned he was torched in usual fashion the week before against Swan. Cotchin has been poor all season, but if Boyd can restrict in form players in a similar fashion while reducing his clangers then he can be a valuable contributor.
It's probably the only Dogs game that Loinchop has seen all season, judging by some of the jibberish written in that article. For starters Cotchin is playing on one leg and is being nursed through each game at the moment - he is only playing to take the heat off the 2nd tier mids like Grigg, Houli and Conca. Then he glosses over the clangers issue, which cost us a number of scoring opportunities, not to mention provided Richmond with some east scores from turnovers.

That's 5 minutes of my life I won't get back after reading that drivel.