PDA

View Full Version : Dan Lonergan's view

GVGjr
02-07-2013, 10:50 PM
http://abc.net.au/news/2013-07-02/dark-days-getting-brighter-for-the-demons/4794922?section=sport (http://abc.net.au/news/2013-07-02/dark-days-getting-brighter-for-the-demons/4794922?section=sport)

It might be a big call, but Melbourne’s immediate future looks better than the Western Bulldogs', even after the Demons fell over the line on Saturday night, beating the Bulldogs by three points after leading by 44 midway through the final term.

Melbourne has not yet learned how to stop a team getting a run on like the Dogs did on the weekend where they kicked seven unanswered goals in a hurry.

The Demons have been thrashed so often in recent seasons and have hardly been competitive in recent times that what they were confronted with late in that last quarter against the Dogs was foreign to them.

The fact that they managed to hang on over the last 90 seconds was a great sign and shows that in less than two weeks the interim Coach, Neil Craig, has put together some ideas and structure which are starting to work.

Defensively except for that blitzkrieg by the Bulldogs in the last 15 minutes, Melbourne was very solid on Saturday.

They made it hard for the Dogs to clear the Demons’ forward 50 with efficiency by setting up a huddle at their kick ins and then a wall further up the ground.

Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney had no answers to those plans and with the exception of Ryan Griffen and Robert Murphy, his players lacked the kicking skills to break that wall down.

McCartney believed his players were poor defensively and they certainly leaked too many goals against a team that has struggled to score for most of the season.

However Melbourne had some method in attack, and the Dees also had an excellent structure with talls, Chris Dawes, Jack Fitzpatrick and the much maligned Jack Watts supported by the high flying Jeremy Howe.

They actually looked threatening and with the defence more settled than usual – with three talls in James Frawley, Colin Garland and Tom McDonald - there is a bit to work with at Melbourne.

Neil Craig showed at Adelaide that he could put a decent structure and game plan in place and with Mitch Clark still to return and young tall forward Jesse Hogan ready to make an impact next season, the Demons’ immediate future may be rosier than most of us thought when Mark Neeld was in charge.

It has been well documented that Neeld just could not cut it as a senior coach. Craig may not take on the position full time, but he has the chance to continue putting building blocks in place to nurture hope for this beleaguered footy club.

They need both inside hard nuts and outside runners in midfield, but they are easier to find than quality key position players, which as mentioned the Demons have plenty of at both ends.
Dog days for the boys from the west

The Dogs on the other hand are in a world of pain. Without those experienced players led superbly once again by Griffen, they would have been utterly embarrassed.

The first three quarters were horrendous and just about the worst I have seen the Dogs play.

They were listless and even though Melbourne scored too easily, they had a defensive mindset and allowed the Demons too many uncontested possessions.

McCartney is all about winning contested footy and being defensive, but you have to have a method to score and outside run and winning uncontested football is an important part of that.

His game plan at the moment does not stack up.

The Dogs have more holes in their list than Melbourne. They need quality key defenders, with Jordan Roughead for mine better suited up forward.

They have midfielders, but too many of the same type. They need pace, which was one of their strengths when they made the top four three years in a row between 2008 and 2010.

The biggest area of concern continues to be the forward line, which was dreadful against Melbourne. Daniel Giansiracusa was the only spark and he is in his final season.

Liam Jones has played 50 games as a centre half forward but he appears to have gone backwards this year, while Ayce Cordy is on the way to being another failed first round draft pick.

A succession of shoulder injuries has not helped him, but there’s a lack of intensity, no second effort and virtually no physical presence in his game.

At this stage none of the Dogs’ first round selections from 2007 to 2011 – Jared Grant (pick five, 2007), Christian Howard (pick 15, 2009), Mitch Wallis (father-son, 2010) and Clay Smith (pick 14, 2011) – have worked.

You can also say that some of Melbourne’s early draft picks have not succeeded either, but I do not think the Demons have had proper coaching or development structures in place since 2006, which has put them behind the eight ball.

It was just one win on the weekend for Melbourne, but the Demons now seem to have a plan.

For the Bulldogs, the jury is still out, but they might land an uncomfortable verdict, if GWS beat the Dogs in Canberra this week.

LostDoggy
02-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Wonder what Dans thoughts were before Saturday night about whos list was better. Talk about jump on the bandwagon
Do you want to back the Demons at $2 in the last game Dan?

bulldogtragic
02-07-2013, 11:05 PM
Can't argue with Dan. Fair assessment IMO.

Sedat
02-07-2013, 11:11 PM
Wonder what Dans thoughts were before Saturday night about whos list was better. Talk about jump on the bandwagon
Do you want to back the Demons at $2 in the last game Dan?
Dan has actually been the fiercest critic of BMac in the media almost since day 1.

jeemak
02-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Pretty bleak.

I don't really pay much attention to this type of comparison. Of course Melbourne should be in a better place than us with their rebuild, they've been at it since 2007!

We've been at it since 2012.

I know you're upset Dan, but a little balance and mention that one club's been at it for five years while the other has been at it less than two wouldn't go astray.

Scorlibo
02-07-2013, 11:26 PM
There's nothing new here, except for us being a quick team between 2008 and 2010 (who knew?)

He's probably gone a bit too far with his critique given he's labelled both Wallis and Smith as failures, I'd be surprised if either of those guys didn't have long careers, though I can see where he's coming from if he means they haven't worked in the context of our side.

bornadog
02-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Dan has actually been the fiercest critic of BMac in the media almost since day 1.

Yeah he needs to get over it, Rocket is gone.

Scraggers
03-07-2013, 12:04 AM
He's a Bulldog supporter isn't he?

Remi Moses
03-07-2013, 12:45 AM
Melbourne structure wise are ahead of us , no doubt.
I take umbrage at other aspects if the lists though in comparison.
Melbournes midfield is paper thin at the moment

Dry Rot
03-07-2013, 01:00 AM
Can't argue with Dan. Fair assessment IMO.

Agreed. We have close to, if not the worst list in the comp.

lemmon
03-07-2013, 01:38 AM
Its an easy article to write

Remi Moses
03-07-2013, 02:54 AM
They recruited for a spike up the ladder.
It's been an epic failure !
They have a rare moment in the sunshine and we've now got the worst list in the comp.

ReLoad
03-07-2013, 09:02 AM
He's totally wrong about clay smith, its way too early in a players career/development to tell if he is an abject failure or not. The rest though is pretty much bang on.

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 09:56 AM
This is the telling comment :

They need both inside hard nuts and outside runners in midfield, but they are easier to find than quality key position players, which as mentioned the Demons have plenty of at both ends.

And he's right.

bornadog
03-07-2013, 09:59 AM
He's a Bulldog supporter isn't he?

He is supposed to be but all he does is whinge and wine and never really supports the club. He has great access to media as a commentator on 774 and the pieces he writes, yet all that comes out of his mouth is negativity. He has even convinced his son to NOT barrack for the dogs.

If you listen to the Coodabeens, the character that rings up Dan from Droop street is spot on. Compare him to Mark Stevens who at every opportunity promotes the club.

Sedat
03-07-2013, 10:11 AM
He is supposed to be but all he does is whinge and wine and never really supports the club. He has great access to media as a commentator on 774 and the pieces he writes, yet all that comes out of his mouth is negativity. He has even convinced his son to NOT barrack for the dogs.
I don't think he's shown a history of being negative about the Dogs, I just think he completely and utterly doesn't rate BMac. I don't recall any lingering negativity from him in the media during the Wallace or Rocket years.

bornadog
03-07-2013, 10:14 AM
I don't think he's shown a history of being negative about the Dogs, I just think he completely and utterly doesn't rate BMac. I don't recall any lingering negativity from him in the media during the Wallace or Rocket years.

Really, I have.

He winges all the time on 774. It was during the Rocket years he said he was convincing his son to not barrack for the dogs. He said this on radio.

jeemak
03-07-2013, 10:41 AM

Really, I have.

He winges all the time on 774. It was during the Rocket years he said he was convincing his son to not barrack for the dogs. He said this on radio.

Tend to agree with BAD on this one. I don't listen to radio other than 774, and since about 2006-2007 all I've ever heard from Lonergan is negativity towards the Bulldogs.

I don't want blind positivity either. I suppose if you're going to be a professional sports journalist you need to be as objective as possible, and Lonergan can't be objective when it comes to the Dogs.

Maddog37
03-07-2013, 10:43 AM
All teams have "supporters" like this. Constantly deriding the efforts and undermining the club under the guise of calling a spade a spade. Tosser.

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 10:45 AM
So Melbourne win their second game against a bottom 4 club and "dark days are getting brighter". The crap they have dished up the last 14 weeks tells me they are more like in a perpetual eclipse. Bit of light around the edge, but in essence, will stay dark.

Twodogs
03-07-2013, 10:47 AM

I lost count of the number of close games he was calling in the Rocket era that he said we were gone in. Typically we'd be a couple of goals down, Lonergen would say we couldn't win and we would win anyway.

He's always been very, very negative when it comes to the Bulldogs.

Twodogs
03-07-2013, 11:00 AM
He has even convinced his son to NOT barrack for the dogs.

This is the bit that proves to me that Dan just doesn't get it. Dan old son if you ever read this football is not just barracking for the biggest and brightest baubles mate, it's about being strong in the harsh times as well as the good times.

It's going through the bleak times together that make the good times all the more enjoyable. If you think you are doing your kids any favours by getting them to jump on board the success trains then are wrong, all that teaches them is walking away from difficult situations is the way to deal with them. Not to mention you are robbing the club of supporters and members thereby making it harder for he club.

Dan you don't understand football culture at all. And I really feel sorry for you mate.

GVGjr
03-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Really, I have.

Agreed, he has taken a hard line, at times justified, with the Dogs for a few years now.

bornadog
03-07-2013, 11:05 AM
This is the bit that proves to me that Dan just doesn't get it. Dan old son if you ever read this football is not just barracking for the biggest and brightest baubles mate, it's about being strong in the harsh times as well as the good times.

It's going through the bleak times together that make the good times all the more enjoyable. If you think you are doing your kids any favours by getting them to jump on board the success trains then are wrong, all that teaches them is walking away from difficult situations is the way to deal with them. Not to mention you are robbing the club of supporters and members thereby making it harder for he club.

Dan you don't understand football culture at all. And I really feel sorry for you mate.

TW, this is very similar to what Peter Gordon said about being a supporter of the club at the Seasons Launch.

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 11:05 AM
All teams have "supporters" like this. Constantly deriding the efforts and undermining the club under the guise of calling a spade a spade. Tosser.

Love your work.

GVGjr
03-07-2013, 11:07 AM

Dan hasn't been the most positive of souls about the Dogs for a while now. Others might have gone negative about us just since the Rocket departure but Dan has a long history of it.
I quite like listening to him but I don't always agree with his views about us.

Perhaps he has spent too much time with Mark Maclure who hasn't rated us for many years. I talked to him a few years back and despite us at the time making the top four two years in a row he more or less thought we were just making up the numbers.

SonofScray
03-07-2013, 11:09 AM
He has even convinced his son to NOT barrack for the dogs.

Pretty ordinary. In fact, thats enough to forfeit any goodwill from us. Can't go doing that and still claim any association with us. Feel sorry for his kid. That shows a real weakness character IMO.

On the article, its mostly accurate. We are bereft of any structure that converts into scoreboard pressure beyond individual talent. Every team I've seen this year moves the ball much more swiftly, carries more often and is more methodical when the preferred avenue is closed.

He is harsh on Jones. He went backwards last year, this year he has improved back to par. Cordy he might be right, not sure he is a complete bust though.

bornadog
Dan hasn't been the most positive of souls about the Dogs for a while now. Others might have gone negative about us just since the Rocket departure but Dan has a long history of it.
I quite like listening to him but I don't always agree with his views about us.

Perhaps he has spent too much time with Mark Maclure who hasn't rated us for many years.

Mark is a grumpy bum at the best of times. Like you I don't mind listening to Dan on all matters other than about us.

w3design
I remember Gordon in speech, may have been the season opener saying Lonergan wasn't signed up as a member or didn't want his kids to follow the team? Sorry I can't recall the exact wording.

Twodogs
03-07-2013, 11:14 AM
TW, this is very similar to what Peter Gordon said about being a supporter of the club at the Seasons Launch.

He's a clever guy.

I get to share any wins or success with my kids, my parents and the rest of my family. I really feel sorry for Dan that he has cut this avenue of pleasure out of his life. Maybe it's because he has made footy his job and it has skewed what makes footy so great for him?

Greystache
03-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Just a cut and paste piece from a couple of months ago, talk about laboring a point

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-23/round-one-a-distant-memory-for-bulldogs/4645930

The tired old a couple of gun key forwards are the solution to everything argument. Big footy stuff.

whythelongface
03-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Just a cut and paste piece from a couple of months ago, talk about laboring a point

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-23/round-one-a-distant-memory-for-bulldogs/4645930

The tired old a couple of gun key forwards are the solution to everything argument. Big footy stuff.

Thanks for that link Greystache.

Maybe the club can invite Dan down to give the boys a motivational speech before the next game. :rolleyes:

Twodogs
03-07-2013, 01:10 PM

According to that article we started the season as favourites to win the wooden spoon. I must have missed that.

Sedat
03-07-2013, 04:45 PM
I lost count of the number of close games he was calling in the Rocket era that he said we were gone in. Typically we'd be a couple of goals down, Lonergen would say we couldn't win and we would win anyway.

He's always been very, very negative when it comes to the Bulldogs.
Thanks Twodogs and everyone else for clarifying Dan's ongoing long-term negativity. I never really noticed it (admittedly I don't listen to 3LO all that much), but I've certainly noticed his incessant negativity towards BMac in the last 18 months.

It's poor form to openly promote another club to your child - if they find another club of their own volition, that's fine (like I did as a kid, otherwise I'd be barracking for either Norf or Carlton today). But to openly promote the idea of not barracking for the Dogs to your children is poor form.

Ozza
03-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks Twodogs and everyone else for clarifying Dan's ongoing long-term negativity. I never really noticed it 9admittedly I donl;t listen to 3LO all that much), but I've certainly noticed his incessant negativity towards BMac in the last 18 months.

It's poor form to openly promote another club to your child - if they find another club of their own volition, that's fine (like I did as a kid, otherwise I'd be barracking for either Norf or Carlton today). But to openly promote the idea of not barracking for the Dogs to your children is poor form.

Very very poor form.

I, for one, look forward to when my 2 year old bloke is old enough to come to the footy with me, and his grandfather. Riding the highs and the (considerable) lows, together is all a big part of the enjoyment of footy.

If he's only following for the sake of premierships - he can follow Manchester United and Barcelona in the soccer!!

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks Twodogs and everyone else for clarifying Dan's ongoing long-term negativity. I never really noticed it 9admittedly I donl;t listen to 3LO all that much), but I've certainly noticed his incessant negativity towards BMac in the last 18 months.

It's the only thing I demand of my kids. They can make every single life choice for themselves — sexuality, political ideology, career path, etc. — but they barrack for the Bulldogs or go watch the soccer. :D

chef
03-07-2013, 05:00 PM
He is supposed to be but all he does is whinge and wine and never really supports the club. He has great access to media as a commentator on 774 and the pieces he writes, yet all that comes out of his mouth is negativity. He has even convinced his son to NOT barrack for the dogs. If you listen to the Coodabeens, the character that rings up Dan from Droop street is spot on. Compare him to Mark Stevens who at every opportunity promotes the club.

What a prick.

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Very very poor form.

I, for one, look forward to when my 2 year old bloke is old enough to come to the footy with me, and his grandfather. Riding the highs and the (considerable) lows, together is all a big part of the enjoyment of footy.

If he's only following for the sake of premierships - he can follow Manchester United and Barcelona in the soccer!!

Sorry for the double post, but I had to respond.

Taking your kids to the footy is what footy is all about. When I had mine, they came every week from a very young age, and then when my ex-wife and I divorced and the kids went to WA, I missed having them at the footy so much that I bought a membership for my young cousin and brought him along instead, just to have the kid at your side, screaming, crying, getting excited and generally reminding you of why you love the Bulldogs, your own childhood growing up with Grant, Southern, Libba, Wally and Doug.

My daughter lives with me now and I've never been happier. Footy is good again, and it certainly helps during these lean years. Even explaining to her why we're losing brings back the nostalgia ;).

In short: Get him to the game as young as you can, mate.

always right
03-07-2013, 05:06 PM
I never knew this about Lonergen. It's a bit rich that someone who has never attained anything other than mediocracy in his profession can decry our club so much for its lack of success. Urging his children NOT to follow the dogs is the last straw. I'm going to hunt him down.

GVGjr
03-07-2013, 05:54 PM
I never knew this about Lonergen. It's a bit rich that someone who has never attained anything other than mediocracy in his profession can decry our club so much for its lack of success. Urging his children NOT to follow the dogs is the last straw. I'm going to hunt him down.

Do we know for sure it isn't just a throw away line?

G-Mo77
03-07-2013, 05:58 PM

I've got a little one on the way and if they choose another club that is not the Bulldogs they will need to find somewhere else to live. :D

always right
03-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Do we know for sure it isn't just a throw away line?

Don't care if it is. I detest him for even joking about it. Harden up Lonergen.

Remi Moses
03-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Very very poor form.

Hey settle ! Some of us followed United before Sky Sports and the P/L
Worded my girls continually on staying " loyal" this season.
Been hard but I've gotten through to them.

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Plenty of BS in the article but a few grains of truth in there, you can read into it however much you want to really.

Bulldog Joe
03-07-2013, 07:41 PM
I've got a little one on the way and if they choose another club that is not the Bulldogs they will need to find somewhere else to live. :D

This is how it should be!!!!!!!

Twodogs
03-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I had to respond.

Taking your kids to the footy is what footy is all about. When I had mine, they came every week from a very young age, and then when my ex-wife and I divorced and the kids went to WA, I missed having them at the footy so much that I bought a membership for my young cousin and brought him along instead, just to have the kid at your side, screaming, crying, getting excited and generally reminding you of why you love the Bulldogs, your own childhood growing up with Grant, Southern, Libba, Wally and Doug.

My daughter lives with me now and I've never been happier. Footy is good again, and it certainly helps during these lean years. Even explaining to her why we're losing brings back the nostalgia ;).

In short: Get him to the game as young as you can, mate.

Nice. I have a similar story. My ex and I broke up around 2004. She moved to Canberra a couple of years ago and I became the primary care giver. It's hard work, I have very little social life and I work full time as well so I have never been this tired but it's the most contented I have ever been. They aren't as keen on football as I am but sit and watch games with me. My son really loves soccer and NFL and I a spend some really happy hours watching Arsenal and Denver Broncos games with him. My daughter and I share music together.

One of the really great moments was when my phone rang seconds after the 2010 NAB cup final and it was the kids yelling and screaming "DADDDD WE DID IT!!!. My ex made sure they had watched the game and rang me as soon as it finished. It was the last time I cried. Big, blubby, wet tears with a huge smile on my face.

Dan you'll never, ever get that feeling mate. It might have only been a NAB cup premiership but it was OUR NAB cup premiership and I got to share it with my kids and my dad. It was truly one of the great moments of my life.

My son also came to the 2006 Elimination final as well. My mm said that we walked around on a cloud for a week afterwards.

F'scary
03-07-2013, 08:24 PM
In defence of Lonergan, I can hear in his article the heart-felt groans of a loyal supporter who is distraught at the form of his team over the past 2 years.

The line about him telling his son not to barrack for the Dogs - that's just a poetic way of saying it is not easy being a Dogs supporter (at least just now).

I think he is wrong about Wallis & Smith - it is too early to tell but so far both have done enough to suggest they will be successful AFL players over the next 5 years.

But he is correct on many of the other points he makes.

Eastdog
03-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Im the only Dogs supporter in my family and we certainly need a thick skin. When we do win the ultimate prize eventually (the premiership) we will be really celebrating hard for weeks and weeks.

always right
03-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Im the only Dogs supporter in my family and we certainly need a thick skin. When we do win the ultimate prize eventually (the premiership) we will be really celebrating hard for weeks and weeks.

You're understating it. I'll take long service leave.

Eastdog
03-07-2013, 08:42 PM
You're understating it. I'll take long service leave.

How do you mean AR?

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-07-2013, 08:47 PM
I know Dan Lonergan personally and find some of the negative comments distasteful and lacking in grace. Dan has been through a painful separation from his wife and young son and his thoughts are possibly clouded because of his pain. I read his critique of our performance against Melbourne and most of what he said was painfully obvious in what save for the last fifteen minutes was a pathetic performance. Against a bottom of the ladder team it was a woeful performance for three and a half quarters. The only redeeming feature for me was the heroic efforts of Libba and Griff. I have been a long time member of the WB and struggle to remember when we had such a poor list.
On another thread I predicted 5 changes to our team against GWS. Based on our Melbourne effort you could have made 10 changes excepting that we do not have the depth of talent.
Dan is simply one of many media critics equally scathing of our performance at the weekend.

always right
03-07-2013, 08:50 PM
How do you mean AR?

You'd only be celebrating for weeks and weeks. I'm thinking a little bigger.

Maddog37
03-07-2013, 08:59 PM
I know Dan Lonergan personally and find some of the negative comments distasteful and lacking in grace. Dan has been through a painful separation from his wife and young son and his thoughts are possibly clouded because of his pain. I read his critique of our performance against Melbourne and most of what he said was painfully obvious in what save for the last fifteen minutes was a pathetic performance. Against a bottom of the ladder team it was a woeful performance for three and a half quarters. The only redeeming feature for me was the heroic efforts of Libba and Griff. I have been a long time member of the WB and struggle to remember when we had such a poor list.
On another thread I predicted 5 changes to our team against GWS. Based on our Melbourne effort you could have made 10 changes excepting that we do not have the depth of talent.
Dan is simply one of many media critics equally scathing of our performance at the weekend.

Don't take it personally NBP. Think of it as banter in the stands between supporters.

1eyedog
03-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Nice. I have a similar story. My ex and I broke up around 2004. She moved to Canberra a couple of years ago and I became the primary care giver. It's hard work, I have very little social life and I work full time as well so I have never been this tired but it's the most contented I have ever been. They aren't as keen on football as I am but sit and watch games with me. My son really loves soccer and NFL and I a spend some really happy hours watching Arsenal and Denver Broncos games with him. My daughter and I share music together.

One of the really great moments was when my phone rang seconds after the 2010 NAB cup final and it was the kids yelling and screaming "DADDDD WE DID IT!!!. My ex made sure they had watched the game and rang me as soon as it finished. It was the last time I cried. Big, blubby, wet tears with a huge smile on my face.

Dan you'll never, ever get that feeling mate. It might have only been a NAB cup premiership but it was OUR NAB cup premiership and I got to share it with my kids and my dad. It was truly one of the great moments of my life.

My son also came to the 2006 Elimination final as well. My mm said that we walked around on a cloud for a week afterwards.

Excellent post TD, thanks. I have kids of my own and am looking forward to all the highs and lows of being a Bulldogs supporter with them.

jeemak
03-07-2013, 10:32 PM

Agree some of the commentary on the article is a touch over the top, and I feel for anybody going through Dan's personal situation.

Perhaps Dan might be best having a break from commenting on the Bulldogs.

Ghost Dog
03-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Don't mind the article really. Some good points, ( if not very obvious ones ) but some others that make me wonder which games he's been watching

Clay Smith has had a pretty reasonable year so far. Kicked some goals and provided some energy.
Jordan has been our best back for most of the games so far.

As Roos suggested on Fox, it's really hard to tell where we are at.

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 10:49 PM
Maybe he's setting us up for a priority pick.

Remi Moses
04-07-2013, 01:01 AM
Sad to hear about Dan.
I quite like him, he's a tad over critical of the Dogs, that's his view.
Grant Hansen on Marngrook is ten times worse though.
Half empty has nothing, he's glass has two drops in it.

immortalmike
04-07-2013, 05:00 AM
It was a bad game. But this article is throwing the baby out with the bath water.

His views on Wallis and Smith are a joke. Wallis was 3rd in the rising star last year and Smith has almost played 20 odd games in his first two years of football.

Cordy can barely string two games together, which may explain the lack of intensity but at least he took two marks above his head (small but some progress).
Jones is struggling now but looked a revelation before the bye, but of course young players aren't allowed to be inconsistent.

And I've saved the biggest load of crap for last. At what stage has Jordan Roughead shown anything as a forward? I personally had serious reservations mid-last year that he'd even make it as a footballer. As a full back he has shown intensity I thought beyound him, has limited some very good players, covers very well for others, is a real leader, has given some good rebound at times, and has the reccomendation of one of the best full backs of the century. Sure he's had two or three poor games back there but that happens as a young defender, hell I remember Lake getting five kicked on him in a half of football from Fev. And much like Lake he struggles with players on the lead but wins the one on ones just need a Morris type to play on the more mobile talls.

Remi Moses
04-07-2013, 05:12 AM
Some of the hysteria going on with some our fans is bordering on embarrassing.
Made the fatal error of having a peek at BF, and to be honest it's just plain embarrassing.
The 12 year old keyboard warriors have a poll on McCartney getting sacked.

Remi Moses
04-07-2013, 05:16 AM
Don't mind the article really. Some good points, ( if not very obvious ones ) but some others that make me wonder which games he's been watching

Clay Smith has had a pretty reasonable year so far. Kicked some goals and provided some energy.
Jordan has been our best back for most of the games so far.

As Roos suggested on Fox, it's really hard to tell where we are at.

Honestly does Paul Roos know what's going on at any other club than Sydney?
That is the only club he talks about, and if he didn't realise that the club are rebuilding
Then he's not analysing the game.
Yes a disappointing loss to Melbourne, but at seasons start I thought Melbourne would finish above us . They recruited for a quick spike up the ladder and its backfired

LostDoggy
04-07-2013, 07:09 AM

That's fantastic TD :-)

soupman
04-07-2013, 08:13 AM
And I've saved the biggest load of crap for last. At what stage has Jordan Roughead shown anything as a forward? I personally had serious reservations mid-last year that he'd even make it as a footballer. As a full back he has shown intensity I thought beyound him, has limited some very good players, covers very well for others, is a real leader, has given some good rebound at times, and has the reccomendation of one of the best full backs of the century. Sure he's had two or three poor games back there but that happens as a young defender, hell I remember Lake getting five kicked on him in a half of football from Fev. And much like Lake he struggles with players on the lead but wins the one on ones just need a Morris type to play on the more mobile talls.

This is one of the things that annoys me too. Roughead really struggled to justify his spot in the side as that forward/second ruck last year. He was pretty much just an ineffectual as Cordy in the spot. Yet Cordy is frequently said to be a lost cause and Roughead is the answer to our forwardline marking problems.

Ghost Dog
04-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Honestly does Paul Roos know what's going on at any other club than Sydney?
That is the only club he talks about, and if he didn't realise that the club are rebuilding
Then he's not analysing the game.
Yes a disappointing loss to Melbourne, but at seasons start I thought Melbourne would finish above us . They recruited for a quick spike up the ladder and its backfired

Showing some bias there Remi. Roos always comments a lot about other games. He has a fair point too. Even for a rebuild side, we dropped a game we should have done better in. It's hard to tell why we went to sleep for 3 quarters.

Mantis
04-07-2013, 10:40 AM

Can't agree at all.

Sure, Melbourne added in some experience in as they had a huge void to fill, which by & large has failed, but they also recruited Viney, Toumpass & Hogan who will be 10 year+ players.... and very good ones from performances & reports.

always right
04-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Can't agree at all.

Sure, Melbourne added in some experience in as they had a huge void to fill, which by & large has failed, but they also recruited Viney, Toumpass & Hogan who will be 10 year+ players.... and very good ones from performances & reports.

Agree with you...the only criticism they shoud wear for ther drafting strategy this season is that they targeted the wrong blokes when they sought experience....although one of them embarrassed us on Saturday. Gillies, Byrnes and Pederson however are massive fails.

Eastdog
04-07-2013, 03:35 PM
You'd only be celebrating for weeks and weeks. I'm thinking a little bigger.

For sure we all would be because it has been such a long time.

Remi Moses
04-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Can't agree at all.

Agree to disagree, but it if they were rebuilding you wouldn't bring in Experienced senior types.
I think they had a small spike to 14 or 15 and get more experience into their kids .
Problem is the players they got in are next to useless.

Bulldog4life
04-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Melbourne gave Pederson a 3 year contract. Lucky guy.

Remi Moses
04-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Showing some bias there Remi. Roos always comments a lot about other games. He has a fair point too. Even for a rebuild side, we dropped a game we should have done better in. It's hard to tell why we went to sleep for 3 quarters.

I've got no bias against Roos, it's just that his knowledge is very limited on other clubs .
Roughead's been playing in the back half since halfway through last season .
I'll give an example. He interviewed Hird before the Swans Bomber game and spent 5 min talking about Sydney!!Listen to his special comments it's pretty biased.

bornadog
04-07-2013, 05:03 PM
I've got no bias against Roos, it's just that his knowledge is very limited on other clubs .
Roughead's been playing in the back half since halfway through last season .
I'll give an example. He interviewed Hird before the Swans Bomber game and spent 5 min talking about Sydney!!Listen to his special comments it's pretty biased.

You are not wrong there.

Mantis
04-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Melbourne gave Pederson a 3 year contract. Lucky guy.

We gave Tom Williams the same contract... Who is the winner?

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Agree with you...the only criticism they shoud wear for ther drafting strategy this season is that they targeted the wrong blokes when they sought experience....although one of them embarrassed us on Saturday. Gillies, Byrnes and Pederson however are massive fails.

Moles, Veszpremi DJ and Sherman didn't exactly make a dent in our performances. It becomes a problem when you decide to recruit average players from other clubs.
You would hope that Young Stevens and Lower will eventually turn out better long term prospects.

Bulldog4life
04-07-2013, 05:52 PM

Time will tell Mantis.

LostDoggy
04-07-2013, 06:14 PM

Humanity

soupman
04-07-2013, 06:19 PM

Whoever supplies us with tape?

always right
04-07-2013, 10:42 PM

Perhaps try a more appropriate comparison next time.

Ghost Dog
04-07-2013, 11:09 PM

LOL Cruel, but very funny

Remi Moses
04-07-2013, 11:10 PM

Gold:p

Mantis
05-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Perhaps try a more appropriate comparison next time.

Perhaps I should have went with Ayce Cordy then.

LostDoggy
05-07-2013, 04:10 PM

I feel for Dan, having been through that myself. But that doesn't make the negative comments distasteful or lacking in grace. Journalists by their very nature leave their work open for criticism and argument.

Some of the hysteria going on with some our fans is bordering on embarrassing.
Made the fatal error of having a peek at BF, and to be honest it's just plain embarrassing.
The 12 year old keyboard warriors have a poll on McCartney getting sacked.

http://paulalay.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/south-park-wow.jpg

Brilliant!

Greystache
06-07-2013, 11:36 PM
I wonder after today if Dan is still saying Clay Smith hasn't worked out?

http://www.abc.net.au/grandstand/img/dan_lonegan_proc.jpg

Topdog
07-07-2013, 11:10 AM
I wonder after today if Dan is still saying Clay Smith hasn't worked out?

http://www.abc.net.au/grandstand/img/dan_lonegan_proc.jpg

Im not Clay's biggest fan and think his best work for us may be HFF but when you look at what was picked after him you can't really say we got it that wrong (yet!!!!)

boydogs
07-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Im not Clay's biggest fan and think his best work for us may be HFF but when you look at what was picked after him you can't really say we got it that wrong (yet!!!!)

He is currently 6th in the Marmo and 3rd in the James in his 2nd year, and will poll in both again this week after giving AA contender Callan Ward a hiding. He has proven he can be in our best players as both a mid and as a forward. I think he will be in our top 5 for the next 10 years.

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 09:54 PM

One of the best posts I've read for a while. Thank you twodogs.